Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Having an "adventure" again?

Comments

• DEATHRAMENTDEATHRAMENT Member UncommonPosts: 701

Add me too the list as well, i'm not gonna vote i'll follow the rest of you.:)

• raystantzraystantz Final Fantasy XI CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,237

The last time I tried Ryzom I liked the "idea", but couldn't get past the odd looking character models. Just something about them looked funny. The combat wasn't bad, but wasn't the funnest I'd ever experienced either. It didn't feel as sandboxy as I thought it would. Just something about the graphics turned me off about it, I'm not sure what. I wouldn't mind trying it again to see if I still get those feelings about it.

www.facebook.com/themarksmovierules

Currently playing:

FFXIV on Behemoth, FFXI on Eden, and Gloria Victis on NA. 

• zvr420zvr420 Member Posts: 4

I know what u mean. I get that too, but i say to myself it's probably cause ive played too many fantasy/medieval games. This is just somethint out of the norm. Other than that I think the graphics are like wow, cartoony, just not what we are use to.

The only other game I can see be kinda like Ryzom would be Vanguard. Now this game is by level, unlike Ryzom, but everything else seems to fit what we want. It has a huge world to explore and it caters more to groups than solo although the option is there. The only reason why i would choose Ryzom over Vanguard is the hardware it takes to run it. I just want to make sure everyone that signed up is able to play the game we choose and Ryzom has requirements similiar to Wow( maybe even lower).

• Alamor0Alamor0 Member UncommonPosts: 182

Kudos to Goronian on this thread.  What an awesome idea that has played out so well thus far!  Well done!

I had a thought about the 'trying the entire trial out one by one' discussion a few pages back. 

First of all, I completely agree that trying out each trial one at a time is not a good idea for various reasons that have already been stated (people already owning the game, mainly - I also don't like the idea of spending over a month trying out games).  But I think a bit of a different angle occurred to me than was discussed. 

There was a lot of mention about polls, and it sounded simply tedious, and might be difficult to organize and make sure everybody voted, etc. etc.  What I was thinking is that, after the forums are up and our top 4-5 games are chosen (primarily based on the votes that have already been cast - in other words, those choices seem to be rather settled), we have a two week trial period.  During these two weeks people can try any or all of the games on our list.  We'd be able to organize via the forums if anybody wished to group together during the trial period on any specific game. 

During the two weeks (two weeks because that's how long most trials run) discussions pertaining to each game and to the choice of 1-2 games over the others will be prominent on our forum.  After the trial period is over THEN a single poll could be taken for the 5 games and our final choice could thus be made. 

So, the process would only take two weeks, people could try all of the games, nobody who wants to spend money would have to (those who already HAVE a game and have played it don't need to test it out anymore - they could just discuss on the forum and try out any games they don't own), and at the end we all get a good solid vote and have only to deal with one poll.

Whatcha think?

• korpsce24korpsce24 Member Posts: 61
    Originally posted by Alamor0

Kudos to Goronian on this thread.  What an awesome idea that has played out so well thus far!  Well done!

I had a thought about the 'trying the entire trial out one by one' discussion a few pages back. 
    First of all, I completely agree that trying out each trial one at a time is not a good idea for various reasons that have already been stated (people already owning the game, mainly - I also don't like the idea of spending over a month trying out games).  But I think a bit of a different angle occurred to me than was discussed. 
    There was a lot of mention about polls, and it sounded simply tedious, and might be difficult to organize and make sure everybody voted, etc. etc.  What I was thinking is that, after the forums are up and our top 4-5 games are chosen (primarily based on the votes that have already been cast - in other words, those choices seem to be rather settled), we have a two week trial period.  During these two weeks people can try any or all of the games on our list.  We'd be able to organize via the forums if anybody wished to group together during the trial period on any specific game. 
    During the two weeks (two weeks because that's how long most trials run) discussions pertaining to each game and to the choice of 1-2 games over the others will be prominent on our forum.  After the trial period is over THEN a single poll could be taken for the 5 games and our final choice could thus be made. 
    So, the process would only take two weeks, people could try all of the games, nobody who wants to spend money would have to (those who already HAVE a game and have played it don't need to test it out anymore - they could just discuss on the forum and try out any games they don't own), and at the end we all get a good solid vote and have only to deal with one poll.
    Whatcha think?

I like this idea, and I think this is what we should do. It would give everyone the chance to try out the games, and then allow everyone to come together and vote on the game we want to play, while not taking 2 weeks pper game of us playing together to figure it out.

• rellorello Member Posts: 186

I think we should have 2 polls, one in which we 3 games that we would like to play, and the other we pick 3 games which we would not like to play, and the rest are neutral (assuming the poll has >6 options)

That way we could find a game that the majority would like to play, and we dont end up having a game that many people do not want to play and just end up not joining.

As for a name, I'm completely stumped.  Using a 'foreign' (earlier definition of foreign duly noted :P ) word seems cliche.  I'm huge into wordplay.  I'll rack my brain some and hope something comes of it.  I'd love to work in the seeker/adventurer theme with the mmorpg.com throwback.

Originally posted by rello

I think we should have 2 polls, one in which we 3 games that we would like to play, and the other we pick 3 games which we would not like to play, and the rest are neutral (assuming the poll has >6 options)
    That way we could find a game that the majority would like to play, and we dont end up having a game that many people do not want to play and just end up not joining.

In other words, you'd like to avoid voting YES to a game that a lot of other people also are horribly opposed to.  I think that's a good point.  Well, we already have 5 that are standing out as our trial period (if my plan is accepted) games.  After that, I agree that there should be some type of vote taken where everybody can say which games they simply WILL NOT play.  Meaning people could potentially vote for 2-3 games if they wished as games they completely detest.  Any games with a significant percentage of the whole would be nixed from the list and then, unless we end up with only 1-2 choices, we'd then take one more vote on our game of choice.

Yet another random idea.  Eh?

• GoronianGoronian Member Posts: 724

Yeah, one or two week's "trial" would not be bad. Actually, with the weekends ahead of us, people can pretty much trial most of the game pretty quickly (whil two weeks limitations IS there, it's not like you need a lot of time getting a "feel" of the game, once you start playing).

Including my "pick" we have six choices. The poll should be here, but I think the majority would, most likely, decide, based on the discussion we'll have. So, we can settle as much, for now.

Allright, we need a name and we're nearly god to go.

And different, johnmatthais, pungalo, DEATHRAMENT, welcome to the team!

The good thing is - we've got a lot of people now. Some will, invariably, bail out. But the rest should be quite enough, for our idea to succeed.

I hate WoW because it made my plush hamster kill himself, created twin clones of Hitler, punched Superboy Prime in reality, stared my dog down, spoiled my grandmother, assimilated me into the Borg, then made me into a real boy, just to make me a woman again.

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063
    Originally posted by girlgeek

Originally posted by Goronian

Originally posted by nate1980

I don't like the Russian part of it, since I'm not russian. Probably just as much as you wouldn't like American Seekers. I do like the Russian word for Seekers though.
    I also have one important point about Free Trials. If we're not going to choose and stick with a game, and instead we're going to try out several games on the list, then I feel that it's going to screw a lot of people over. Some people already own practically every game out there, such as myself, so creating a Free Trial will only cost that person more money if he's to stick with the character that's on the trial account (the cost to buy the game again). To use his old account to create a new character would require a subscription. So either the person is havign to buy the game again after the free trial to keep the character that's the same level as everyone else, or that person will have to subscribe, which is a bad idea if we're intending on doing Free Trials for several games.
    Although many may disagree with this, I would rather us choose and stick with one game. I'd rather spend another week discussing which game we'll play, rather than play each game for 14 days and then quit.

See, with games like EQII and EvE it's easy - a lot of people have played those and know, what to expect.

VG, FFXI, Ryzom, even EQI... Not so much. I'd say we trial the games we don't know

And except for EvE, all the games on the list cost about 20 bucks - just five bucks more, than your regular sub. Not sure about Ryzom, but no one is sure about Ryzom. That's just thing about it.

True, now that i think about it. Prikljuchentci (Adventurers)  sounds stupid... What about, uh... Some wordplay?

Of the games that won, VG, FFXI, Ryzom and EQ1 ARE, to me, the most intriguing because of my limited, or in the case of FFXI...nonexistent...experience with them.

I wonder of those games...is there any ONE of them that NONE of us have played before? The only one I have zero experience with is FFXI, but my experience with VG, Ryzom, and EQI, is also really limited. Not so with EQ2 or EVE...for me....I know those two games pretty well, having actually played them both for a length of time.

Was there one (or more) of the games that won, that stood at as having the fewest number of us having any real solid experience with?

I would think it would be good to determine that, and then...I'd vote that we start with that one that we have the least exposure to, as a whole.

EDIT: After re-reading the entire thread....

I'm really feeling Ryzom too.  I was really interested in it at one time, but because I had no one to play it with, I never got out of the beginning zone.  It's not expensive, it's definitely "sandboxy." It has some draw to it I can't quite explain. But I think if you've never been in the game at all...you'll feel it at character creation. I remember thinking..."gee....THIS feels....different."

I also remember the UI was a bit odd to learn, it reminded me of EQ1's UI, for some reason, although at the moment, I can't remember why. Suffice it to say...it doesn't have the generic MMORPG model UI...or at least it didn't a couple of years ago.

I'm still feelin' a "burn" for Vanguard and EQ1, however, as well....

I can hardly wait til you decide so I can start getting excited more....lol. :)

For me:

VG- Never made it past 19, but played several characters up to 10. There are quests you can solo along the way, but it has an old school feel to the game, and most veterans stop solo questing so much in the later teens, and start to heavily group from then on. There's still solo content, but from what I've seen and read, people just prefer to group.

FFXI - I bought the game a few years ago, logged in, tried to get used to the controls, but couldn't, and logged out. I'm willing to give it another shot.

Ryzom - Played the trial, and found the game very interesting. I heard while the trial island is quest oriented, the game isn't afterwards. It's very much a group and grind type of game. Strong, yet small community. Has content creator tools, and PvP at higher levels if you're into that. No housing or guild housing. Immersive world I've read.

EQ - I picked DAoC over EQ when I bought my first MMO in 2002. I don't regret my choice, but I've always heard great things about EQ, but the game just kept getting older, while newer games just kept releasing. I'd love to try this oldie out, and I'm not worried about graphics.

EQ2 - I played this a few times, but never past lvl 21. I always left, since I could never find groups. This community would solve that problem, but the game is still heavily solo quest grind oriented from my experience. However, lots of stuff to do, places to explore, and plenty of character customization. I'd say it's a grown ups WoW, which in a lot of ways is good, but for our purposes I think it isn't good. WoW is a strong solo oriented game until later levels, that has plenty of instances to group up for along the way. I felt EQ2 was just the same. My vote is against this game.

EvE - I played the 14 day trial. Very steep learning curve, until a couple days later when you have it all figured out, and then you realize it's an ISK grind from that day after, all the while passively gaining skills in real time. Anything remotely interesting that requires a group is PvP oriented, and at our levels and experience, we'd be tasty snacks for several months until we can establish ourselves. I highly recommend against this game.

Note: I personally prefer games where you can do everything on one character. Reducing alts reduces the amount of people you need in the guild, in case there is a cap on the limit of players you can have. With 30 something people, we don't have to worry about that, but remembering who is who is easier with just one character. It's easier to get to know each other and establish a bond when you know who is who, and aren't wondering if that person is an alt or not. Plus, people are less likely to lose interest in their character, when they can just redo whatever on it.

So while I'd love to fully explore EQ and VG, I think FFXI or Saga of Ryzom would be better for all of us. Another thing to think about, is when you can do everything on one character, you don't have to be so discriminating with who you let into your group. We could invite the first 5 guildies to log on into a group, and go hunting. FFXI is less flexible than Saga in this regard, but I'm sure we'll have people with a variety of class combinations in FFXI that could fill several roles if need be.

Something to keep in mind though. In Saga, we'd be creating our own content, so that could get boring for some people. That's the nature of sandbox games. FFXI is content rich, and group oriented, so I seriously doubt we'd bore of that game, but the controls are hard to get used to.

In the end, it's best to put this all to a vote. There's just too many variables.

• FoeHammerJTFoeHammerJT Member Posts: 148

Goronian, you've truly started something. As a gamer that feels like the current crop of MMOs (and their respective communities) have lost the "fun" of group/cooperatively gaming, I thank you for reaching out to others. Please add me to the list, I have a 50 man Teamspeak server I'd happily commit to the cause (I could swap to Vent if thats the consensus). My vote would be FFXI, then Vanguard. I think those games cry out for a mature group of gamers to enjoy exploring without an obsession for endgame and more phat loots a la WoW.

Guild Name: Adventum (Latin for Adventure :) ) I'm sure its been done, but so has almost everything else, and I like simple.

Originally posted by FoeHammerJT

Goronian, you've truly started something. As a gamer that feels like the current crop of MMOs (and their respective communities) have lost the "fun" of group/cooperatively gaming, I thank you for reaching out to others. Please add me to the list, I have a 50 man Teamspeak server I'd happily commit to the cause (I could swap to Vent if thats the consensus). My vote would be FFXI, then Vanguard. I think those games cry out for a mature group of gamers to enjoy exploring without an obsession for endgame and more phat loots a la WoW.

It seems a lot of people are willing to create an account, just for this thread. Weird.

Anyways, I'm off to work. Guess we'll have to wait until my evening witht the forum. Good thing All the action wouldn't start until weekend, anyway.

And welcome to the team, FoeHammerJT!

I hate WoW because it made my plush hamster kill himself, created twin clones of Hitler, punched Superboy Prime in reality, stared my dog down, spoiled my grandmother, assimilated me into the Borg, then made me into a real boy, just to make me a woman again.

• Massy6969Massy6969 Member Posts: 3

1st choice: EQ2

2nd choice: Final Fantasy XI 

Great Thread!

As for a name, I'm completely stumped.  Using a 'foreign' (earlier definition of foreign duly noted :P ) word seems cliche.  I'm huge into wordplay.  I'll rack my brain some and hope something comes of it.  I'd love to work in the seeker/adventurer theme with the mmorpg.com throwback.

Okay, let's work with Adventurers or Seekers as the second word. As for the first word:

website>site>forums = Forumite Seekers ?

MMO Veterans, Refugees. Refugees could be called Aliens. Forum Warriors (lol, no)

Seeker can be called Hunter's. Someone who hunts for a new home is?

That should get the juices flowing. Too late for me, or I'd continue.

Edit: Pilgrims? The Pilgrims? We're to start something new, so the word Genesis comes to mind.

Okay, let's work with Adventurers or Seekers as the second word. As for the first word:

MMO Veterans, Refugees. Refugees could be called Aliens. Forum Warriors (lol, no)

I'd prefer a name without the words "MMORPG" or "forum", if only to be able to RP with myself.

Massy6969, welcome to the team!

• VehXVehX Member Posts: 4

I just created an account here to reply to this thread, because that's how much this calls out to me.

I'm with FoehammerJT, we've been playing games together for years now and feel similarly regarding more recent MMOs.

I have issues with the general MMO communities nowadays and the crop of immature epeen-waving players that have surfaced over the last few years. I started my MMO journey on Dark Age of Camelot and spent months tanking in groups before I hit max level. I took more exp losses and repair bills than I can count so that my team mates wouldn't have to. I've sought that feeling of comradry in every other MMO I've played since and could not find it. I am desperate for a group of nice, inteligent individuals to play with.

That is why I humbly ask to be added to your list.

I would very much like to be part of this.

And if I am, I would vote for FFXI .

I'd prefer a name without the words "MMORPG" or "forum", if only to be able to RP with myself.

I 100% agree. I'm a roleplayer at heart, myself.

What do you think of Genesis? It's a new beginning for us all. Seems like a good name.

Originally posted by VehX

I just created an account here to reply to this thread, because that's how much this calls out to me.
    I'm with FoehammerJT, we've been playing games together for years now and feel similarly regarding more recent MMOs.
    I have issues with the general MMO communities nowadays and the crop of immature epeen-waving players that have surfaced over the last few years. I started my MMO journey on Dark Age of Camelot and spent months tanking in groups before I hit max level. I took more exp losses and repair bills than I can count so that my team mates wouldn't have to. I've sought that feeling of comradry in every other MMO I've played since and could not find it. I am desperate for a group of nice, inteligent individuals to play with.

That is why I humbly ask to be added to your list.
    I would very much like to be part of this.
    And if I am, I would vote for FFXI .

There are 43 of yu guys now, some even created an account just for that. I'm absolutely overwhelmed. But anyway, welcome to the team!

What do you think of Genesis? It's a new beginning for us all. Seems like a good name.

Genesis works for me.  I think we should have something added to it to make it more unique and also avoid the fact that that guild name is probably taken in every MMO in existence. :P

• korpsce24korpsce24 Member Posts: 61

There are 43 of yu guys now, some even created an account just for that. I'm absolutely overwhelmed. But anyway, welcome to the team!

You did a really good job with this Goronian. I'm hoping that we stick together as a group for a while to come. Who knows, maybe we'll become one of the multi game guilds a couple of years down the road.

Genesis... A good name, but a little overused. Could fall into "Name already taken" trap.

Anyway, I'm off to work. I can read your posts from my mobile phone, but not respond (since MMORPG.com hates my phone) so keep the thread rolling, I'm keeping an eye on you!

LOL at the epic 42 on the first post.  A most beautiful reference.

Originally posted by korpsce24

You did a really good job with this Goronian. I'm hoping that we stick together as a group for a while to come. Who knows, maybe we'll become one of the multi game guilds a couple of years down the road.

You can say, that's one of my dreams.

Originally posted by korpsce24

What he said!

• DethevanDethevan Member UncommonPosts: 60

Count me in as well, I've been thinking about jumping on this wagon for a little while and decided to come aboard tonight.  Right now I'm currently playing The-Game-That-Shall-Not-Be-Named only out of having RL friends that play it, they are the only reason i put myself through the torture.

I've tried EvE and Vanguard. Played FFXI, EQ1, EQ2, but haven't tried Ryzom though. I really want to hang out with my friends, but I can't stand the game and I honestly haven't been playing that much over the past two weeks.  From what seems to be the top choices so far, I have enjoyed playing them, but my main problem is not having a drive to play them if i'm playing them alone.  Any of these games would be fun to me, and I don't mind starting over on EQ1/EQ2 or FFXI ( would probably have to buy a new one since i can't find my disc :-x )

I know it's late on the voting, so I won't vote, I will only give how I feel about the games:

EQ1 - Home is where the heart is and this will always be my home as it was the first MMORPG i played.  To me graphics don't make a game, it's the lore and story the game has and this one has both.  Not to mention the music of some of the zones (I could spend hours in Velketor's Labyrinth just for the music near the zone in).  True, they've focused on nothing but eng-game since PoP, but it's still a fun game.  And they have been going back and updating some of the old zones and such (although I don't think they have remodeled any of them since Steamfont Mnts. when Secrets of Faydwer was released.)

EQ2 - Loved playing it just as much as the first, Lore was expanded and the races and classes was a nice add too (how certain ones were evil only or good only).  Dungeons were awesome, as well as the Heritage quests were awesome as well since they brought back some of the items from EQ1.  Music is awesome for this as well since some of it is a remake of some of the originals.

FFXI - Brought back memories of EQ when i started playing it (didn't start until around a year after WoW).  Controls can be a pain, but I still loved the game, only reason I ever stopped is because I couldn't get a friend to play it with me.

EvE - Tried the trial of it, was fun, but didn't grasp some of the concepts although I am willing to try it again ( always love something different).  Again, didn't have anyone to play with.

Ryzom - never tried it, always open for something new.

The grouping gamer is a dying breed and it's the one thing that probably has made WoW not keep my attention.  Not to mention the community *eye twitch*  

Also, on another note.  As someone mentioned before, the highest populated EQ2 server is Antonia Bayle.  If we were hoping for a place with a base of people we could have join after ingame if that was the chosen game, It would be the best choice (Not to mention since it's an RP server if anyone wants to).  Now I do have characters and such on AB as it was the only server I played on after researching for highest population, but as I stated before, I don't mind making a new character on a different server.  As for EQ1 no clue on that one since most people jumped over to Mayong (51/50 server) to try it out. Same for FFXI on populations.

I do believe this was a great Idea as even myself has spent most of the past couple of years wandering from game to game trying to find a place for me play.

Currently playing EverQuest 2