Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wait, what? "Pay Type:Subscription" ?

2»

Comments

• nanovipernanoviper Member UncommonPosts: 64

Early on Bioware talked about the fact that their new MMO in development (TOR) would have a revolutionary payment method; I think that if Bioware is smart they will release the game as free to play, much like guild wars did, then do what most XBL games have been doing since 2006 and sell DLC.

It's a brilliant payment method on their part on several levels; On the one hand it will provide a constant source of revenue for the company and a constant stream of content for the players, and on the other hand it will allow thousands of potential players who feel woozy about monthly fees to expirence the product, get hooked, and in turn end up dishing out the cash for the content.

I know it sounds shaky for a lot of hardened MMO vets but the truth is from a financial standpoint it is the superior system; I know tons of people who hate the idea of MMOs because of the payment model, however these are the same people who at the drop of a pin will dish out 10, 15, even 20 Dollars for a Call of Duty map pack or a Borderlands expansion. 

Blizzard uses WOW to harvest hours played into bottles so that the dev team can remain immortal

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Originally posted by nanoviper

Early on Bioware talked about the fact that their new MMO in development (TOR) would have a revolutionary payment method; I think that if Bioware is smart they will release the game as free to play, much like guild wars did, then do what most XBL games have been doing since 2006 and sell DLC.
         It's a brilliant payment method on their part on several levels; On the one hand it will provide a constant source of revenue for the company and a constant stream of content for the players, and on the other hand it will allow thousands of potential players who feel woozy about monthly fees to expirence the product, get hooked, and in turn end up dishing out the cash for the content.
         I know it sounds shaky for a lot of hardened MMO vets but the truth is from a financial standpoint it is the superior system; I know tons of people who hate the idea of MMOs because of the payment model, however these are the same people who at the drop of a pin will dish out 10, 15, even 20 Dollars for a Call of Duty map pack or a Borderlands expansion. 

DLC is a no brainer. Dragon Age dlc made over a million dollars when it released. I could imagine dlc for a mmo would make a ton more millions. :)  If they do use this method I will love Bioware for life.

• madmatymadmaty Member UncommonPosts: 13

I very much hope they pick one or the other    sub +mt is just a cash grab IMO  there is no need for both models

heres a game pay us $50 for it    pay us another $15 every single month  oh and hey want some armor so you can actually play  give us another $10  oh your armor broke thats ok we will fix it for $5    its just crazy,

I seen someone mention guild wars pay model  I really like that to be honest   i dont mind shelling out $50+  for a game but trying to make me keep paying makes me very dislike the game very quickly.   Or they can use the Asian  murketing   give the game away free via digital downlaod   then charge $14 /month to play it that i also dont mind

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056
    Originally posted by mrroboto40

Most likely going to be subscription with an item shop of some sort.

That's a deal-breaker for me.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• Sora2810Sora2810 Member Posts: 567
    Originally posted by Ozovich

What the hell, when did this happen? Wasn't this game supposed to be free and based on micro-transactions?

f2p game? With this much hype? Was that a rhetorical question?

Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
    Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

What the hell, when did this happen? Wasn't this game supposed to be free and based on micro-transactions?

Stop basing everything on rumor.

• grandpagamergrandpagamer Member Posts: 2,221

As much as this game has been trashed here one might well think it another FTP game.

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    Originally posted by tillamook

Originally posted by mrroboto40

Most likely going to be subscription with an item shop of some sort.

This, also it was rumored the game would be $12.95 to play. Actually it was a in a survey someone had taken where the question was asked, would you pay $12.95 per month to play it? A lot of the other survey questions that were posted have been confirmed so far, so I have no reason not to believe this. We shall see, but most likely you will pay per month, and there will be some paid services.

My main gripe about this game atm is the 4 force users aspect of the game. Not sure why they did that, there must be a reason but to me it just seemed kinda rushed in to fill 2 more gaps.

What are you talking about? I'm not sure what world you're living in.  KOTOR had the Consular, the Guardian and the Sentinal. TOR takes place roughly 300 years after that set of games AND KOTOR is considered canon by THIS game. Of COURSE there is more than one type of Jedi. You need to go check wookiepedia.org. There are actually about 20 types of Jedi (maybe more) that all perform different functions within the order.

• DameausDameaus Member Posts: 114

bioware NEVER said it was going to be micro transaction based.... it was ALWAYS going to be sub based

• FreddyNoNoseFreddyNoNose Member Posts: 1,558
    Originally posted by Sebali

Originally posted by Sebali

you all need to do more reading before you jumop down someones throat.

the payment model has never been confirmed one way or another
    but after the revealing of this www.massively.com/2008/12/09/star-wars-the-old-republic-to-be-microtransaction-based/

the ratings for ToR took a serious nose dive everywhere.
    so they kinda denied it someplace else(cant find the link right now)

guess thats why i wrote this earlier?

it was stated by someone in "the know".

there was SERIOUS backlash against it almost immidietly.

so the rumor/denial was started, once again, by thoise "in the know"

that said, i have no idea what theyre gonna go payment wise. my guess would be a subscription with a "shop" to buy non essential items such as decorative clothing and such

Take off the tin foil hat.  Those voices you hear are not "in the know".

• marcuslmmarcuslm Member UncommonPosts: 263

I know at some point I read an article that stated F2P w/MT was being considered. Even back then when I read it I thought "that will never happen".

I really wish they would NOT use a classic subscription model.

My big gripe with the standard sub model is this...I pay the same amount every month whether I am playing or not. I tend to play games in spurts. I may play a lot for a couple of weeks then not play it again for a week or two. What if I go on vacation for a week, or even two? I am getting screwed that month. The sub model is really only advantageous to someone who consistently plays lots and lots of hours and never lets up. 

I would much rather it be F2P w/MT, B2P, or even buy a card with x hours on it and dock me time AS I USE IT. I have no problem with paying for the time I play, I just don't like paying for the time I don't play.

Anyway, that is my payment model rant. :)

• SirRobinSirRobin Member Posts: 13

I prefer sub to f2p with mt.

I discovered a while ago that, for me, to get the "same" amount of personalization/customization/fun I get in a sub game I end up spending more than a subscription costs in an f2p game with microtransactions.

Its a matter of personal preferences of course.

Sir Robin the Not-quite-so-brave-as-Sir-Lancelot,
    who had nearly fought the Dragon of Agnor,
    who had nearly stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol,
    and who had personally wet himself at the Battle of Badon Hill.

• LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,831

Well lets see. Lucas Arts and EA are involved. So I can assume it will be $14.99 a month in the states with a Micro store. 

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

That was never confirmed by anyone from Bioware/Lucasarts. 

It was mostly a rumor... and one that haters LOVE to use as one of their bullet points for why TOR will fail.

• 3L1TE3L1TE Member Posts: 167

http://www.massively.com/2008/12/09/star-wars-the-old-republic-to-be-microtransaction-based/
    Now how about a serious answer?

Excuse me for pointing this out and calling you dumb if it's already been quoted but the article you linked featured an update to the article at the top of it,

Update: Shacknews has updated its story to state "no statements have been made about the Star Wars business model," and attributing Mr. Riccitiello's comments to a misunderstanding. For the time being, then, this appears to be unsubstantiated information.

Understand now?, it was a misunderstanding not a fact, it's been a well known fact that The Old Republic would be Pay-to-Play / Subscription based, in fact I believe it was mentioned within one of the first videos for the game.