Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

whats so good about it ?

2»

Comments

• miconamicona Member UncommonPosts: 677
    Originally posted by erictlewis

Originally posted by avalon1000

Why play LOTRO?  Well for one thing the best community in mmo's. (and I have played a few).  The graphics are stunning (if you have a good graphics card and monitor....recently updated to an ATI 5770 and wow the game looks good).  SoM is coming this week and the servers popu;ation will go up considerably (I already see more people on in the last week).  SoM introduces some really nice gameplay (faster combat and skirmishes) and a new really challenging RAID.  The best advice I can give is to try it and see what you think (but I would wait for SoM on Tuesday).  

Actually I will have to debate you on the comunity. For the past year it has gotten worse on Brandywine we constantly have to have the GM comes into GLFF and other chat's to clam things down several times a day.  I don't know about the other servers but Brandywine is constanly being bombarded with children who cant get along for more than 5 minutes.

Yes I expect with the xpac that we will se a lot of folks come back.  About 3 months ago we saw a huge departure on Brandywine.  All you have to do is go to certain areas and look at /who.  This morning I logged in and couned 114 total on the server 42 of them in 21st hall standing around looking for bounty runs.  I been keeping a count and a log for the past 2 months.  At peek times no more than 5 to 6k on at all. I don't call that healty; I call that low.  Turtle reset days are the most popular folks log in and run turtle then go away for 3 days.

The real question is going to remain what are we gong to be left with a month after the xpac, were all going to have to wait and see.  Your going to have a bunch of folks cut right through the content what little there is and be at 65 within the first 24 hours.  I did it on beta within the first 3 days.

I think there is a lot of great art that went on, stunning images and what not.  There is a lot too see, and some to do.   however we come back to the question what makes it so great. It used to be the epic story that got told, that has changed.  Now its how quick you can get to the cap and get into raiding.

So true there, am capped with my minstrel long time ago and barely log on anymore , turtle runs , Vm or do rad runs for fun ? i dont think so , many players are not ganna log on to run the same raids over and over and call it fun imo .

community is bad lately on brandywine that true , i play there aswell .to be perfectly honest the ride in lotro was great , great fun great story and all but once you reach end game and cap your virtues there simply not enough end game content to retain most of the population .

Alts you say , pfft once you know how to  get to level 60 it will take you 3 week tops to do it again Zzzzzzz! 

I truely wish SOM brings something new to the game but i doubt it will last , Lotro is simply a player casual mmorpg and will always need new players to keep it running .

Still it's a solid game :)

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    Originally posted by keithianw

Originally posted by matrixvs

well i been trying lotro for few hours now and i was wondering what makes this game so good.
    i my self have played wow and tbh i cant realy see any good aspect other than lore of lotro.
    servers seem kinda empty, character moves a bit odd  and graphics aint that great but that least of my worrys, allso i notice this game is realy easy and i mean lot easyer than wow.
    so why would ppl recommand it?

Not sure if you accidentally loaded the wrong game, because other then perhaps Age of Conan, this has the best DX10 Graphics out there for a fantasy MMO...and it is a lot more polished performance wise then Age of Conan. I do agree that character animations need a face lift, but the world itself is beautiful. The Landroval server is quite crowded, but yes, at 1:00am Pacific Time it's not as crowded, so maybe you were playing on a test server accidentally. I also agree at the early levels the game is easy, that is if you choose to ignore all of the group quests in the books and the other group quests that are available for better gear. It is extremely solo friendly. At higher levels to get at the good content, with at least a small fellowship you are missing half the game.

What makes the game so good:

1) Like you said, the lore/story is top notch.

2) Yes, it has a path, but the world is quite huge and there is no set direction regarding exactly which area you have to go to level. For example, I could have skipped most of the mines of moria and still make it to 60. I could have skipped Forechel and still had ample quests, both solo and group, in Angmar, Rivendall, and Misty Mountains.

3) It has quite a variety of things to keep you busy with regard to crafting, traits, deeds, hobbies, housing, etc.

4) It has a relatively mature audience on the Landroval server, but in any game on any server there are going to be a few idiots.

I suggest you try to get a little bit higher and not rush to level and read the quests and maybe you'll enjoy it. Also, with the expansion coming out that should help with some of the combat speed.

Regardless, maybe this type of game isn't for you. Maybe a more FPS PVP style MMO with a faster pace is what you are looking for.

Almost everything you said is correct except in my opinion AOC has better performance then Lotro. Lotro is also quite easy but that is fine with me I hate getting killed and if i want more of a challeng I will purposlely run into a few mobs

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by Erxi

Originally posted by Thillian

At the moment I would recommened it for you if you like the WoW gamestyle but somehow want to feel different from the masses. Since MoM, there's barely any difference. Lotro is lacking in every direction other than - storytelling of the main book quest line. If you like more-linear approach to MMO-gaming, then you as well might enjoy it. The dungeons, the world, the crafting, pvp, raiding is pretty much mediocre in every aspect.

You may have saved me 40 euros, thank you.

What I am the most bored of is the tank-assist-dps-healer-CC-template for how combat should work. Sooo boooring. The game genre desperately needs innovation on that area.

if you haven't already check out mortal online (and cross your fingers and hope it delivers)

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Originally posted by areb

Originally posted by Thillian

At the moment I would recommened it for you if you like the WoW gamestyle but somehow want to feel different from the masses. Since MoM, there's barely any difference. Lotro is lacking in every direction other than - storytelling of the main book quest line. If you like more-linear approach to MMO-gaming, then you as well might enjoy it. The dungeons, the world, the crafting, pvp, raiding is pretty much mediocre in every aspect.

Did a mean hobbit break your heart or something?  Because I see you bashing the game in pretty much every thread where someone asks a question.

Yep, I noticed that, too.  I guess that's what you do when you don't have a game of your own that you like.

• lakokalakoka Member UncommonPosts: 97

Lotro just rock. It got the gameplay of WoW with a graphical/class twist. The graphics are awesome you feel really that you are walking in beautiful plains etc.. Its just cool to play it, but too  much like WoW, quest based and everything, I get bored. You need to like WoW to like Lotro.

Originally posted by eddieg50

Almost everything you said is correct except in my opinion AOC has better performance then Lotro. Lotro is also quite easy but that is fine with me I hate getting killed and if i want more of a challeng I will purposlely run into a few mobs

Hmmm... that's not my result at all, and I just played them both last night(2 week comeback for AoC), where the framerate just gets slower and slower the more you play.  Further, Conan has some bizarre glitch where it seems to load low quality textures for certain objects for no apparent reason.

I also got reintroduced to my magic sword that floats about 2 feet to the right of my hand, and sheaths about 4 feet away from my back... that's if it sheathes at all after combat...

But anyhoo, enough of me picking on AoC...  other than animations, AoC has nuttin' on LotRO for gfx.  Not to say that animations aren't significant.  The art direction in LotRO is nothing short of spectacular.

• Toquio3Toquio3 Member Posts: 1,074

Whats so good about it? Playing Dragonforce in the Prancing Pony. Hows that sound? I have about 1 year of play time and my main character is lvl 27. Guess what I do with most of my time? 

If you stand VERY still, and close your eyes, after a minute you can actually FEEL the universe revolving around PvP.

• SwoogieSwoogie Member UncommonPosts: 399
    Originally posted by Toquio3

Whats so good about it? Playing Dragonforce in the Prancing Pony. Hows that sound? I have about 1 year of play time and my main character is lvl 27. Guess what I do with most of my time? 

Your really into the Instrument part of LotRO huh? Do you play your own songs are do you use the pre-set ones that you can download?

Originally posted by Swoogie

Originally posted by Toquio3

Your really into the Instrument part of LotRO huh? Do you play your own songs are do you use the pre-set ones that you can download?

Sometimes I mess around with the notes myself, but most of the time I just play the ones I downloaded. I can lose hours doing that in Inns, attracting people, and sometimes even playing in make-shift bands =D

If you stand VERY still, and close your eyes, after a minute you can actually FEEL the universe revolving around PvP.

well i been trying lotro for few hours now and i was wondering what makes this game so good.
    i my self have played wow and tbh i cant realy see any good aspect other than lore of lotro.
    servers seem kinda empty, character moves a bit odd  and graphics aint that great but that least of my worrys, allso i notice this game is realy easy and i mean lot easyer than wow.

You know, I went through about 3 or 4 trials asking myself the same question.  When you first start out, character development seems pretty blah.  The starter armor looks silly, animations aren't too great... 

The game doesn't start to truly stand out until about 12-13th level, when you start exploring the great barrows and the Old Forest. 

About that same time, you start picking up on how deeds can customize your character, and crafting starts kicking in. 

You start digging through the auction house and find that "hey, I can actually afford great gear!".   You do some bounty quests and find that, "hey, I can actually MAKE great gear!".  You pick up on how outfits work, and have a little spare change to start creating your own look.

You start getting enough skills to have to make choices for what to use in combat.  If you dig deeper, you realize there is serious strategic value for your choice of manuevers; you don't just activate it cuz "it's ready", like many other MMO's.

From there, new surprises just continue to unfold til' next thing you know, you're level 60.  And you realize that unlike in many games, you weren't in a hurry to get there.  You can continue to work on deeds and legendary weapons, or...

...like me, you start a new toon, and find yourself enjoying the old content, and finding some new content as well.  My first toon was level 56 when I got to Moria, and still skipped a bunch of content on pretty much the whole level range.  A good chunk of Angmar, about half the Misty Mountains, bits of Evendim, about 80% of Arnost...

And I'm addicted.  I can't wait to boot up the new Xpac tonite...

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

Not like we have discussed this before or anything. The link contains my thoughts.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Im not surpised at that link after all we know that Mr Bloodsworth wooks for Turbine.  I got to hand it to him, he does stick by his product.  You have to give a thumbs up to folks who stick to there guns.

Im not surpised at that link after all we know that Mr Bloodsworth wooks for Turbine.  I got to hand it to him, he does stick by his product.  You have to give a thumbs up to folks who stick to there guns.

Contrary to (un)popular belief, you dont need to work for turbine to enjoy lotro.

• LOTRO Shadows of Angmar, really was a wonderful world. However, the game changed with MoM and as fondly as I look back on my days in LOTRO I find it hard to recommend it now to new players. It was sad to see the way it went - an influx of generic high fantasy, an emphasis on fast and easy leveling, seeing encounters dumbed down further and further, gear-centric gameplay, gear-gated raiding.

I'd argue that the game peaked with the Rift raid and since then has declined in numerous ways. I am keeping an eye on what happens with this next expansion to see if there is some sort of return to the spirit of SoA. As always the screenshots are beautiful and beckoning.

Good luck to the OP finding a game that excites him/her. :)

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

It is easy to stick by a quality product.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• GaryMGaryM Member Posts: 244
    Originally posted by Strap

LOTRO Shadows of Angmar, really was a wonderful world. However, the game changed with MoM and as fondly as I look back on my days in LOTRO I find it hard to recommend it now to new players. It was sad to see the way it went - an influx of generic high fantasy, an emphasis on fast and easy leveling, seeing encounters dumbed down further and further, gear-centric gameplay, gear-gated raiding.

I'd argue that the game peaked with the Rift raid and since then has declined in numerous ways. I am keeping an eye on what happens with this next expansion to see if there is some sort of return to the spirit of SoA. As always the screenshots are beautiful and beckoning.

I find it amusing that there are so many posts reminiscing about the 'good old days' of SOA, when in fact LOTRO was gradually dwindling in population until MoM was released. LOTRO had to change and evolve, and although the gear-gating of two 12-man raids (now 3 with the xpac) has caused quite a bit of forum controversy, most people I talk to on 2 different servers feel that LOTRO is a better game overall now than it's ever been. It's not for everyone, which is why freedom of choice is a beautiful thing. Just don't bloviate about it endlessly in the forums because Turbine's designers have a different vision than you.

• Originally posted by GaryM

LOTRO Shadows of Angmar, really was a wonderful world. However, the game changed with MoM and as fondly as I look back on my days in LOTRO I find it hard to recommend it now to new players. It was sad to see the way it went - an influx of generic high fantasy, an emphasis on fast and easy leveling, seeing encounters dumbed down further and further, gear-centric gameplay, gear-gated raiding.

I find it amusing that there are so many posts reminiscing about the 'good old days' of SOA, when in fact LOTRO was gradually dwindling in population until MoM was released. LOTRO had to change and evolve, and although the gear-gating of two 12-man raids (now 3 with the xpac) has caused quite a bit of forum controversy, most people I talk to on 2 different servers feel that LOTRO is a better game overall now than it's ever been. It's not for everyone, which is why freedom of choice is a beautiful thing. Just don't bloviate about it endlessly in the forums because Turbine's designers have a different vision than you.

I find it amusing that so many posts use Tolkien lore as the one truly distinctive thing LOTRO has going for it...

I think you are right about MoM bringing people (back) into the game. The opinion that the game was at its best with the Rift and 50 level cap is very much my perspective only. I'd add though that at least in my kin there was disappointment that the game became so focused on gear - legendary weapons, radiance sets. Many of them had left WoW for LOTRO because WoW was so gearcentric.

I completely understand Turbine's designers have a different vision, which is why they lost my subscription, but I don't have to agree that their vision is the best or even the most financially rewarding. And I can be as pompous as I like and post as often as I like, just as you can defend LOTRO all you want. Fair enough?

• MeridionMeridion Member UncommonPosts: 1,495

I agree, LotRO is still the best PvE game out there, but has - because of the slowly decreasing numbers in SoA - drawn a lot of immature players.

I loved the game before the rift on the german RP servers. It was practically a world full of nerdy university graduates, tolkien-adoring fathers and a very high percentage of women for the MMORPG genre. When someone wrote OOC or trash talked in any but the OOC channel they instantly subscribed to MANY ignore lists.  

Back then, especially roleplaying was leagues ahead of any experience I ever had and probably will have in any other MMORPG. LotRO is still exceptionally mature and still has tons of roleplaying tools (instruments, outfits, fishing, housing, barber, smoke, dance, sit, get drunk, whatever) while now also providing a more streamlined and generic end-game PvE experience (which kind of splits the community)

It's - concerning the lore, world-design and storytelling - obviously so much ahead of any comparable title you could as well try to compare wolfgang goethe to tom clancy, or a lab monkey to albert einstein... 

M