Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A Supernatural style MMO?

Does it exist?! As far as I know, it doesn't, and this post will be written as such. (English is my second language so I hope you guys can understand what I mean. It shouldn’t be too bad though, since I ran it trough a spell check before posting)

I've recently got a very high interest in the series (Supernatural) and I think it’s awesome, and it got me thinking.

Why isn't there a MMO around that utilize this kind of "fantasy"?

I think it could make a awesome MMO world. It doesn't have to actually be Supernatural, but in the style like it.

I imagine it as a classless game, where you can specialize in different stuff; via Skill trees (I imagine it as Pre-NGE SWG skill trees)

(Maybe the more you play the game the higher your Skill point limit becomes. So let’s say you've been playing for 2 years you'll actually be able to have 2x as high skill point limit as someone who just started out, so you seem as a more experienced "hunter")

Here is a few of the ideas I came up with, just braining, while watching almost the entire 3rd season today.

Let me start with a little explanation of the world and game. (For more info on Supernatural: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supernatural_(TV_series) )

There are 3 major factions, so to speak, in this world. The Unknowing I am totally in doubt about as I actually want it to be more than just regular people, maybe we could call them "Disciples"?! Anyway you'll get my drift, I hope, later on.

(I am kind of playing with the idea of having sub-factions as well. Because, you know, us humans, we can never agree on what to do even if the world is ending. But I would rather have them to be player made if that could be possible)

The Hunters, The Unknowing and The Unearthly (For a lack of a better name)

The Hunters, of course, hunt The Unearthly, which is basically the Good vs. Evil theme.

The Hunters is humans, who have decided to stand up and fight against the demons, abominations, werewolves and other creatures that lurk in the dark, to protect the greater good of mankind.

The Unearthly (which I imagine is entirely NPC controlled. I heard a bit about Aion and how they have a NPC faction that balances things out if 1 faction gets the overhand. Don’t know how good it is, how it works or anything but it sounds good.) is doing everything they can to take over the world, because they, well, think Hell sucks.

The Unknowing, and this is why I am in doubt of the name, is everything from people who are using witchcraft to achieve certain things, knowing or unknowing that, in the progress they hurt other people (Of course those who decide on the tree of witchcraft will know that it hurts people and don't really care), It also counts for the people that work for the highest bidder. (Kind of like Bella if you have seen the show) Or people just heading around for their own personal goals/gains/reasons.

Now for the game side of things, I guess. (I will mention some classes, which I will describe later in the thread)

Humans would be the only playable race, because the story plays out in a modern world.

I imagine this game to be group based, so that’s why most of the classes aren’t “cookie cutter”, and you actually need others to progress faster and more efficient then a solo character.

Armor would have nothing to say, in the big picture. Of course you will be able to get some leather armor, but not many people would want to walk around in that. It would simply attract too much attention.

Cloths, weapons, artifacts and amulets on the other hand there should be LOADS off, so you can go nuts and look however you want. (With Amulets, Artifacts and Weapons actually have “stats” depending on what ammo is used, how its blessed, what runes is used, etc etc)

Quests are the big thing in this game. Some might not like it, but I think it could be awesome!

Basically, you hear a story, read a newspaper, talk to a “Lore Expert” or a random encounter tips you off that there is something out there. Then you have to look for clues, maybe go back to a certain someone you met earlier and talk about it. You could maybe find a piece of fur at a “Crime scene” and don’t know what it is, and you send it off to your fellow “Lore Expert” and/or “Artifactor” to find its origin, and how to get rid of it.

So mission areas have to be instanced, kind of like how Matrix Online did it. You go into a building, but then you take an elevator up to your own instanced place of the mission. (Though most of the time it will be haunted buildings and the like, I guess)

There needs to be NPC “Lore Experts” but they shouldn’t know as much as PC’s and they should also have a fee (PC’s can do this too, and raise it, depending on how good they are)

I doubt there will be much PvP though, even though I enjoy it. I guess you could make it possible for PC’s join “The Unearthly” and help demons and have some PvP battles that way. Either way you have to either tag yourself at a “Master Hunter” or “Master Demon” or go play on a PvP server.

Then, of course, you would have to hunt Hunters instead, but The Unearthly is known to be manipulative and treacherous, so you could hunt other Unearthly, I guess. (This needs more thinking. Input appreciated for the fun of it)

There will be NO healers. It just wouldn’t fit the lore (if it indeed is a pure Supernatural MMO) Healing Potions & Med packs should be available though. This game is about resistances more than health. (I need to come up with some smart thing with healing somehow)

For trees, you could start out with 4 basic classes (and I am thinking about making a 5th class which specializing in village building, house schematics, politics and so on)

• Combat (Would have basic combat abilities, which gives the ability to use guns, melee)

•  Spell craft (Would have basic combat abilities, which gives access to certain witchcraft, exorcism and damage spells)

•  Merchant (Would have basic crafting/merchant abilities, which gives access to gun, melee and cloth craft)

•  Explorer (Would have basic gathering and language abilities, which gives access to readings of more advanced languages, a higher chance of finding "rare crafting components" and higher chance of finding "hunt clues")

Of course every basic and advanced class should have a "master" which would give an overall boost to all abilities/bonuses you get in that specific group of trees.

(Some of the trees I came up with pretty much explains themselves, so I won't go to deep into them)

With Hunter tree you could specialize in 3-4 ways, as described below. (Wow while writing this I totally redid the whole system in my head.

"Slayer Tree"

•  Combat Class, specialized in Melee.

•  No "spells" in the tree.

•  Would have superior dodge rates and melee hit rate compared to other classes.

"Blaster Tree"

• Combat Class, specialized in Shot guns and rifles.

•  No "spells" in the tree.

•  Ranged combat, focused on slower heavy damage dealing.

“Gunner Tree”

• Combat Class, Specialized in hand guns

• No “spells” in the tree.

• Ranged combat, focusing on faster lighter damage dealing.

“Symbolix”?!?!?!

• Combat Class, Specializing in Symbols and Artifacts

•  No “spells” in this tree.

•  Melee combat, holy/demonic damage, depending on what kind of artifact and symbols.

With the Spell craft tree you could specialize in 3-4 ways, as described below;

“Witchcraft Tree”

• Combat Class, Specializing in Witchcraft spells

• No “Melee/ranged” in this tree.

• Dark magic DoT DPS, focusing on disrupting your enemy with DoT’s that start out slow and then become stronger and stronger.

• Would be required to sit during most combat, for her spells to be maintained, as her spells must be read from books and with specials symbols (To counter this she has a pretty powerful knockback attack and/or shield and of course she has weaker spells which won’t need to be maintained)

“Exorcism Tree”

• Combat Class, specializing in exorcism spells.

• No “Melee/ranged” in this tree.

• Magic DMG DPS, focusing on debuffing your enemy, with spells that decrease a demons, abominations, and so on, energy and power.

“Enhancer Tree”

•  Buffer Class, specializing in buffing your party.

•  No “Melee/Ranged” in this tree.

•  Magic buffing, focusing on buffing your party’s offensive skills.
  •  

“Prayers Tree”

• Buffer Class, specializing in buffing your party

•  No “Melee/Ranged” in this tree.

•  Light Magic buffing, focusing on buffing your party’s defensive skills.

With the Explorer tree you could specialize in 3-4 ways, as described below;

“Lore Expert”

• Ability to understand books written in different languages not normally known to Humans.

•  Ability to create duplicates of books to help players defeat enemies. EXAMPLE: Uk’iow book can make you deal more damage, to a specific creature type. With different varieties for different stuff like hit rate, dodge rate, spell power and so on.

•  This tree (or at least some of it) is required to solo (quests, mostly), as you will need someone to translate books, runes, and other stuff you find around.

“Gatherer Expert”

• Ability to find better resources and harvest them then other classes.

•  Higher chance of finding rare resources, needed for advanced crafting.

“Artifactor” (For a lack of better name)

• Ability to identify items not known to man (YES there will be items that needs to be identified before use, or you could end up equipping a cursed item, which would be pretty bad)

• Ability to enhance weapons with spell words, runes or stuff like that.

“I’m blank”?!?!

• I’m blank what could fit in here

With the Merchant tree you could specialize in 3-4 ways, described below;

“Salesman”

• Ability to set up shops and have sellers.

•  The more skill the more shops, ads and stuff like that, you can have.

“Weapon Crafter”

• Pretty clear I would think.

• A little idea for advanced crafting; getting rare/special resources, finding artifact anvils, hammer and the like. Being able to melt whatever into whatever its made of and refine it and make it even better.

“Cloth Craft”

• Pretty clear. This one makes cloths, simply for looks only, since I fail to see how cloth can have any difference as mention at the start of the post.

•  There should be a hell of a lot of cloth so you could wear what you want and look how you want.

“Amulet & Potion Craft”

•  Ability to craft amulets that makes your resistances higher, makes you immune to certain effects and stuff like it. Ability to create potions, to heal or maybe buff.

•  Be able to sit down with a “Lore Expert” and/or “Artifactor” (depending on the item) and learn what the symbols does, what materials are used and how to recreate them, meaning that most of the combinations would actually be up to the players to decide. EXAMPLE: You get a necklace with 3 symbols in layers, you can now make those 3 symbols independently, or together or with a combination of other symbols, but you will not always be successful and might come up with a really corrupted symbol, which you could ideally sell to the mercenaries and they would bring it on to The Unearthly.

Sorry for the wall of text, but this have taking me like 2 hours to write and the ideas just came along as I wrote it!

Discuss and input would be cool! This is my first idea of how to do a MMO and I think it’s pretty decent. Of course you would need a whole lot more. I know that, but if it were to be a Supernatural MMO, you would already have the lore and the setting.

Thanks

Comments

• TarkaTarka Member Posts: 1,662

Not sure whether you'd class it as "supernatural", but The Secret World is being developed by Funcom and is allegedly partly based on H.P. Lovecrafts Cthulu lore. 

• PantherninpoPantherninpo Member UncommonPosts: 90

My fiance and I watch Supernatural.  We've just finished the third season.  We don't watch them on television, we just purchase the seasons on DVD when there's a good deal on them.

• GidasGidas Member Posts: 68
    Originally posted by Tarka

Not sure whether you'd class it as "supernatural", but The Secret World is being developed by Funcom and is allegedly partly based on H.P. Lovecrafts Cthulu lore. 

ooh yeah! I totally forgot about TSW! Has there been released any info about gameplay and the like, anything else then the trailers?

Would love to read up on the game, but as I understand they are gonna launch in 2012, so there is a fair bit of time to that :) hehe

• gargantroogargantroo Member Posts: 1,477

TL;DR, sorry buddy that wall of text was almost a lovecraft novel itself

They were going to make a supernatural MMO called priest that looked pretty dope back in the day.

i play on australian servers because racism is acceptable there
  • RavZterzRavZterz Member UncommonPosts: 618

They have a P&P game, Hunter: The Reckoning.  Not a MMO but it fits everything else you want lol

Make games you want to play.

http://www.youtube.com/user/RavikAztar

Originally posted by Ravik

They have a P&P game, Hunter: The Reckoning.  Not a MMO but it fits everything else you want lol

Wish I had someone to play it with. lol.. Thanks for the heads up though :) I'll definitely look into it :)

Double Post.. Never mind me :)

• DoktorTeufelDoktorTeufel Member UncommonPosts: 413

Speaking of Hunter: The Reckoning and World of Darkness, CCP is developing a World of Darkness MMORPG.

As far as I'm concerned, this game will be a renaissance of the "make a world, not a game" subsection of the MMORPG genre.

Currently Playing: EVE Online
    Retired From: UO, FFXI, AO, SWG, Ryzom, GW, WoW, WAR

Originally posted by DoktorTeufel

Speaking of Hunter: The Reckoning and World of Darkness, CCP is developing a World of Darkness MMORPG.

As far as I'm concerned, this game will be a renaissance of the "make a world, not a game" subsection of the MMORPG genre.

This is gonna be good! I like love what CCP have done with EVE and that it is more of a world then a game. This could be a game I would get really into! Thanks for that info. I had no idea about that. :)