Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In a gaming rut, why don't I like these games?

DerrialDerrial Member Posts: 250

I hate it when this happens. I feel like I hate everything. I have bought several games in the last month or two and I haven't been able to really get into any of them. Here's what I've tried:

Dragon Age Origins:
I just hate the combat so much. Pausing and micromanaging a bunch of stupid AIs is tedious and boring. The tactics thing is like trying to program a robot, who's the idiot who thought that this would be fun?

Torchlight:
Cute and all, but so shallow and repetitive. It gets old fast.

Far Cry 2:
An older game that I never got around to trying. Unfortunately it has some kind of control issue on the PC. Something to do with mouse acceleration, it's like my character is moving through quicksand. It drives me crazy and I haven't found a fix for it. I don't think I can even play it the way it is.

Borderlands:
Matchmaking is horrible, I spent 30 minutes just trying to get into a group and then everyone quits after a few minutes. It seems like I'm just as likely to be matched up with someone in Thailand as in my home state, and it's unplayable with lag. Playing it solo is pretty dull. Maybe I need to find a "clan" of some sort that plays at regular times, I don't know.

Batman: Arkham Asylum:
This is the only game that I've played in a long while that I can really say is a good game and delivers on its promises. Unfortunately it's single-player only, so there's not much replayability here. I'm also not the biggest Batman fan, so there's that.

I'm sure a lot of people would say these are great games that should be keeping me entertained for a long time, but I'm just not feeling it. Maybe it's me, maybe I'm too old. :D

Comments

• koopa11988koopa11988 Member Posts: 68

I found far cry 2 for $5.00 this friday at best buy and snatched it up. 

So far (maybe an hour into it) I think it's great. Totally worth $5.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Originally posted by CayneJobb

I hate it when this happens. I feel like I hate everything. I have bought several games in the last month or two and I haven't been able to really get into any of them. Here's what I've tried:
    Dragon Age Origins:

I just hate the combat so much. Pausing and micromanaging a bunch of stupid AIs is tedious and boring. The tactics thing is like trying to program a robot, who's the idiot who thought that this would be fun?
    Torchlight:

Cute and all, but so shallow and repetitive. It gets old fast.
    Far Cry 2:

An older game that I never got around to trying. Unfortunately it has some kind of control issue on the PC. Something to do with mouse acceleration, it's like my character is moving through quicksand. It drives me crazy and I haven't found a fix for it. I don't think I can even play it the way it is.
    Borderlands:

Matchmaking is horrible, I spent 30 minutes just trying to get into a group and then everyone quits after a few minutes. It seems like I'm just as likely to be matched up with someone in Thailand as in my home state, and it's unplayable with lag. Playing it solo is pretty dull. Maybe I need to find a "clan" of some sort that plays at regular times, I don't know.
    Batman: Arkham Asylum:

This is the only game that I've played in a long while that I can really say is a good game and delivers on its promises. Unfortunately it's single-player only, so there's not much replayability here. I'm also not the biggest Batman fan, so there's that.
    I'm sure a lot of people would say these are great games that should be keeping me entertained for a long time, but I'm just not feeling it. Maybe it's me, maybe I'm too old. :D

I don't think there is such thing as "too old". Well, I'm 42 so if you are much older than me then perhaps though I still don't think that is an issue.

I'm sorry but I didn't have your issues with Dragon Age. Then again, I'm familiar with Bioware's games so I know what to expect. On top of that I prefer more flowing, no stop combat and easy mode for that game allows that. I really didn't have too much trouble with the AI and only use (for the most part) the default setting. Love that game and have made many characters.

Otherwise I haven't tried any of the other games that you listed.

I think because of my age I know what I like, I know what I don't like and I don't ever have unrealistic expectations from a game. I also believe that a person needs to have a bit of suspension of disbelief or just bring themselves a bit to whatever the medium is.

I suppose that's a bad way of saying that I don't just sit back with a smug or cynical attitude and internally say "ok, I'm here, impress me".

Because that just never works.

Then if the game or movie or book is just horrible then I can say at least I approached it with a positive attitude.

So I would just ask yourself if you are approaching these games in the best way or perhaps you are just playing games that you might never have liked in the first place?

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Toquio3Toquio3 Member Posts: 1,074
    Originally posted by koopa11988

I laughed at this. Im still trying to figure out if this is a compliment or an insult to FC2 =P

If you stand VERY still, and close your eyes, after a minute you can actually FEEL the universe revolving around PvP.

• RaeturusRaeturus Member Posts: 16

In MMOs it takes time.. to find the right group for yourself.  In the mean time until you come across those people.. you play the game and help others out where you can. This gets you involved in the game and sometimes you start making friends without even thinking about it.

As for lag, upgrades can help with this or learn your limitations and create a small guild.  Sometimes less is more, and a challenge.

And as for being too old, nawh..  developers, producers, programers, testers etc are sometimes well into their 60s and they are still dreaming up the next best MMO

Look at GL.. he is a born creator of games and movies.

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

I'd try a few more games.  If you don't like those then maybe you are too picky and are better off finding another hobby besides gaming.  Here's a few suggestions:

1.  Left 4 Dead 2 - for co-op shooter play.

2.  Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 - for multiplayer (and single player) shooter play.

3.  Serious Sam HD - For a laid back shoot everything type game.

4.  Gyromancer - Casual puzzle game

5.  World of Goo - Casual puzzle game

6.  League of Legends or Heroes of Newerth - DotA style teamplay

7.  Street Fighter IV - Fighting game

I'm assuming you don't have a console.  You'd have lot more options if you had a console.

Did you enjoy any games (past or present)?  Would help if we knew what games you actually liked.  Batman wasn't really meant to be a long game to keep you entertained for hours, but you did mention you enjoyed it so maybe pick up a few more action-story oriented games like Resident Evil 5 or various older games.

• AladyleynaAladyleyna Member Posts: 269

I don't think anyone is too old for games, though it is true that tastes would change from time to time. Maybe you should try games from a different genre or something. Or maybe you're just burnt out on games in general. My advice is to stop for a while and come back to it when you feel ready to continue. Otherwise, you'll just keep getting bored over and over again.

Main characters:
    Jinn Gone Quiet (Guild Wars)
    Princess Pudding (Guild Wars)

• gargantroogargantroo Member Posts: 1,477
    Originally posted by Toquio3

Originally posted by koopa11988

I laughed at this. Im still trying to figure out if this is a compliment or an insult to FC2 =P

If you're trying to figure that out maybe you should read the context and what he's actually trying to say instead of posting meaningless garbage to increase your post count.

=P

i play on australian servers because racism is acceptable there
  • gargantroogargantroo Member Posts: 1,477

Dragon Age Origins:

Really? I'm pretty sure "that idiot that thought it would be fun" actually ended up catering to a much bigger audience than you ever will, in terms of whats deemed as fun. I didn't like Dragon Age: Origins too much, it was OK, but if you're going to call them out like their idiots for making a highly successful (both financially and critically) game, maybe thats why you're not in college posting on MMORPG forums.

i play on australian servers because racism is acceptable there
  • CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

I hate it when this happens. I feel like I hate everything. I have bought several games in the last month or two and I haven't been able to really get into any of them. Here's what I've tried:Dragon Age Origins:
    I just hate the combat so much. Pausing and micromanaging a bunch of stupid AIs is tedious and boring. The tactics thing is like trying to program a robot, who's the idiot who thought that this would be fun?Torchlight:
    Cute and all, but so shallow and repetitive. It gets old fast.Far Cry 2:
    An older game that I never got around to trying. Unfortunately it has some kind of control issue on the PC. Something to do with mouse acceleration, it's like my character is moving through quicksand. It drives me crazy and I haven't found a fix for it. I don't think I can even play it the way it is.Borderlands:
    Matchmaking is horrible, I spent 30 minutes just trying to get into a group and then everyone quits after a few minutes. It seems like I'm just as likely to be matched up with someone in Thailand as in my home state, and it's unplayable with lag. Playing it solo is pretty dull. Maybe I need to find a "clan" of some sort that plays at regular times, I don't know.Batman: Arkham Asylum:
    This is the only game that I've played in a long while that I can really say is a good game and delivers on its promises. Unfortunately it's single-player only, so there's not much replayability here. I'm also not the biggest Batman fan, so there's that.I'm sure a lot of people would say these are great games that should be keeping me entertained for a long time, but I'm just not feeling it. Maybe it's me, maybe I'm too old. :D

You're not the only one, and it's not a problem with you.

Dragon Age just didn't sit right with me. The combat was either ridiculously easy, or ridiculously hard, and always spammy and cheap with certain spells like fireball and cone of cold. It felt more like a hand-holding interactive movie than it did an actual RPG game. It was interesting to watch, but as a game it was very straight forward, and the story to me was extremely predictable.

Torchlight... I disagree a bit on your assessment. While I agree yes, it does get repetitive, it's good quick fun too when you don't have a lot of time. It's made by some of the original Diablo developers, and the version that was released is a standalone single player game that is meant to help the developers raise funds to expand the game into an MMO with more content. It's not the most expansive game, but it's not meant to be, and for $20 it's pretty decent.

Your other games I can't really comment on, but I do agree that games in general lately have been rather... casual, and shallow.

• Addt4Addt4 Member Posts: 99

COD6 (MW2) is worth playing.

Borderlands is good if you have some friends to play it with.

• DerrialDerrial Member Posts: 250

Originally posted by Magnum2103
    I'd try a few more games.  If you don't like those then maybe you are too picky and are better off finding another hobby besides gaming.  Here's a few suggestions:

I played the first Left 4 Dead and hated it. Too chaotic. Just endless enemies in your face non stop. No strategy or anything, just hold down the shoot button until everything is dead, and then do it again 9000 times. Bleh.

2.  Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 - for multiplayer (and single player) shooter play.

I love COD4, so I would have been all over this game if not for the stupid decision to not include dedicated servers on PC, along with about a half a dozen other features that are usually standard for a PC FPS. I can't support such a terrible port. I'll wait and get it one day when it's on sale for 10 bucks.

3.  Serious Sam HD - For a laid back shoot everything type game.
    4.  Gyromancer - Casual puzzle game
    5.  World of Goo - Casual puzzle game

I played the original Serious Sam a lot, so I don't think I'd get much out of the re-release. The graphics don't even really look a whole lot better in screenshots. And puzzle games are well and good for a quick play during my lunch break, but I want something deeper.

6.  League of Legends or Heroes of Newerth - DotA style teamplay

I just don't think this game is my style. It looks like it's more than just DotA style, it is DotA just with different graphics. It even still looks like the WC3 engine. Not a fan of DotA anyway.

7.  Street Fighter IV - Fighting game

I already have SF IV and beat it with every character already (not on the insane difficulty levels, just normal). Again this is peer-to-peer so it's a real pain in the ass to get a decent connection to another player.

I'm assuming you don't have a console.  You'd have lot more options if you had a console.
    Did you enjoy any games (past or present)?  Would help if we knew what games you actually liked.  Batman wasn't really meant to be a long game to keep you entertained for hours, but you did mention you enjoyed it so maybe pick up a few more action-story oriented games like Resident Evil 5 or various older games.

Nah, no console. I haven't had a console since Super Nintendo. I've thought about getting an XBox 360, but I'm a PC gamer thru and thru, I really like the advantages of PC.

I think consoles are actually part of the problem for me. Nearly every game that is made lately is for simultaneous PC and console release, which often means games aren't taking full advantage of PCs. My video card is pretty old. I should need to upgrade it by now but I don't, and I think that's because the advancement of graphics in games is being held back by the aging console systems. And of course Modern Warfare 2 is a great example of a PC game that is totally obliterated by console limitations.

There are a few games that I have enjoyed recently other than Batman:
    Dawn of Discovery -- a great game, one of the very few true PC game releases in the last few years. I still tinker with this game sometimes.
    Machinarium -- great little artistic adventure/puzzle game
    Dead Space -- awesome game, but sadly no multiplayer in this shooter so once I beat it a couple times, there's nothing else to do...

Depending on reviews, I'm thinking about trying Avatar or The Saboteur next.

Originally posted by gargantroo
    I didn't like Dragon Age: Origins too much, it was OK, but if you're going to call them out like their idiots for making a highly successful (both financially and critically) game, maybe thats why you're not in college posting on MMORPG forums.

No idea what you're trying to say with the college thing, but anyway... I wasn't calling them out for making a highly successful game, I'm calling them out for creating a pseudo-programming system for NPCs to configure them like robots or something. I thought it was the game programmer's job to create smart NPC AI, how did that become my job? Now I gotta explain to the NPC through this tactics thing that if she's using a bow, she should try to keep her distance from the enemy. It's ridiculous.

• greed0104greed0104 Member Posts: 2,134

Originally posted by gargantroo

I didn't like Dragon Age: Origins too much, it was OK, but if you're going to call them out like their idiots for making a highly successful (both financially and critically) game, maybe thats why you're not in college posting on MMORPG forums.

No idea what you're trying to say with the college thing, but anyway... I wasn't calling them out for making a highly successful game, I'm calling them out for creating a pseudo-programming system for NPCs to configure them like robots or something. I thought it was the game programmer's job to create smart NPC AI, how did that become my job? Now I gotta explain to the NPC through this tactics thing that if she's using a bow, she should try to keep her distance from the enemy. It's ridiculous.

I liked the idea of being able to customize my teams actions so I could prevent them from doing something stupid like body pulling a handful of monsters or running from one group into another because he/she was trying to kite with a bow. I also liked the option to have them be reckless and do the exact opposite of what I listed above.

DA:O is more of a strategic RPG. It's a good combat system, not idiotic, it's just not your type of game.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

A couple of older games I think were good. If you have not tried em yet might be worth a look.

Oblivion GOTY edition.- I had many hours of  fun with it.

Fallout 3- now has a GOTY edition out. Once again I played many many hours into it.

Crysis and Crysis warhead.

Just a few to name, not sure if your interested or will enjoy em as it seems you are kinda burnt out on gaming in general.

My suggestion is to find some friends to game with or maybe consider another hobby until you find interest again.

• RoutverRoutver Member Posts: 383

Originally posted by Magnum2103

I played the first Left 4 Dead and hated it. Too chaotic. Just endless enemies in your face non stop. No strategy or anything, just hold down the shoot button until everything is dead, and then do it again 9000 times. Bleh.

Funny because I remember the versus mode being extremely fun and strategical. Maybe you just didn't get it.

• CortechsCortechs Member Posts: 40

I go though gaming ruts from time to time too.  You could try MMO trials, if there are games you haven't tried.  

Wizard 101 is actually a fun game with a card-battle engine.  Pretty fun, if a bit shallow in the long haul.

DDO is F2P now.

Honestly, I really haven't played any PC games lately that I would really recommend.  I've been thinking about trying the 21 day Eve trial, as I never gave that game a shot.  There are several good console games out though.  Demons Souls for the PS3 is really fun and would likely appeal to many MMO players IMO.

• ThenariusThenarius Member Posts: 1,106

Try games such as STALKER then. Get Shadow of Cernobyl with LURK mod, it's a FPS/RPG style game, but it has many interesting elements and you might enjoy it.

If you're lucky, you could try to get a copy of Call of Prypcat(Russian version) and get an English translation. It will be released for the entire world next year. I've played it and it's a very good game.

I don't know, you should wait for 2010 games...if titles like Mafia 2, COP, Max Payne 3 and even new MMOs won't be enough for you, then you should probably try another hobby or wait till 2012-2013.

• Jimmy_ScytheJimmy_Scythe Member CommonPosts: 3,586

<yawn> ... Another "I hate everything" thread, yippee...

Haven't played Dragon Age, but if it's anything like Mass Effect of KOTOR then I'll probably skip it. Navigating dialog trees has never been my thing.

Torchlight is great in 45 minutes or less. Since this is usually how much time I have to spare for games during the week, that's a good thing. What I'm going to do after I beat the game with all three characters is anyone's guess.

Farcry 2.... If there's one thing I learned from games like GTA3 and S.T.A.L.K.E.R., it is that down time is not a good thing in a shooter. I might rent this one for the 360, but I doubt I'll be convinced into actually buying it.

Borderlands is just a big bucket of win. This is a strictly weekend game with friends thing though. I don't do pick up games on Xbox Live. I'd rather play with people that I know. Get some friends that play video games and Borderlands will be completely different experience for you.

Of course.... you could always play the game solo and it's still good. I know, that would make to much sense.

Anyway, enjoy your angsty pouting.