Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

is this REALLY a MMO??

2»

Comments

• Originally posted by k11keeper

Is this some kind of joke question? I mean c'mon before WoW came out FFXI had at one point more subscibers then any MMO at that time. I think this guy must be kidding he has to be.

I think it's entirely possible he's not joking.  I probably wouldn't have given FFXI any notice (because I never really got into the FF series prior to it) if my son hadn't subscribed and showed me what it was like.  I was playing DAoC at the time and thought nothing could beat it, so I was very much in my own little world when FFXI came on the scene.  Even talking to some of my co-workers who play WoW now, they've heard of FFXI, but not really anything about it (other than "asian grinder" <sigh>) and subsequently they have no interest in FFXIV.

• nickster29nickster29 Member Posts: 486
    Originally posted by Sixpax

I think it's entirely possible he's not joking.  I probably wouldn't have given FFXI any notice (because I never really got into the FF series prior to it) if my son hadn't subscribed and showed me what it was like.  I was playing DAoC at the time and thought nothing could beat it, so I was very much in my own little world when FFXI came on the scene.  Even talking to some of my co-workers who play WoW now, they've heard of FFXI, but not really anything about it (other than "asian grinder" <sigh>) and subsequently they have no interest in FFXIV.

It's a shame they would think of FFXI as an "asian grinder" though in a sense it is.  I mean, it was developed by a Japanese company and you have to grind.... but by that logic, I guess WoW is an Western Quest Grinder.

Though in reality, even though FFXI did have a grind, it never really FELT like a grind.  I played it for years, and absolutely loved the pace at which the game progressed.  Got to meet ALOT of people while exp'ing, doing missions, quests, farming, weapon skill parties, etc.

Ah, I can't wait for FFXIV, I need to contact all my old FFXI buddies and see if their gonna play FFXIV.  If they are, we gotta coordinate everyone to a single server (hopefully they use the same server names!).

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    Originally posted by nickster29

Originally posted by Sixpax

It's a shame they would think of FFXI as an "asian grinder" though in a sense it is.  I mean, it was developed by a Japanese company and you have to grind.... but by that logic, I guess WoW is an Western Quest Grinder.

Though in reality, even though FFXI did have a grind, it never really FELT like a grind.  

If it doesnt feel like a grind then it isnt a grind.  A grind is a progression that is so trivially easy that it is boring, repeated till your eyes bleed.  If it doesnt feel boring its not a grind.

• zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 969
    Originally posted by Elikal

Originally posted by XxKnivesxX

i cant take this post seriously..

Elite Member

and you have NOT HEARD OF IT??? wwtf? LOL.  it  has one of the only sucessfmmo's that has maintained a very solid playerbase/ subscriptions for a very long period of time

Lol, sorry but I assure you I don't know about it. See, I play MMos since SWG was new, but I am not into Final Fantasy. I didnt have a console until 2 years ago, and I never owned many console titles. The only FF game I ever played was FF XI or XII, that with this watersports guy Wakka. I played it, it was nice but somehow I did only understand half of what was going on, and I thought, oh well, maybe I should have played FF 1 - 10 to understand the world. Until lately I thought all FF games are in the same universe and follow up titles, kinda like Ultima 1-9 or Elder Scrolls 1 - 4. So for me, when I read FF XIV I thought "oh great, I have to play FF 1 - 13 to understand what is going on, thanks a ton." And that was the end of the story for me back then.

I mean, when I buy "Batman and Robin Reborn 14" I know, ok, read Reborn 1 - 13 FIRST. So seeing the number, I just never looked further into it since I did not want to play 13 FF games first. And yes I did hear there was some FF MMo already, something old due to the screenshots, or so I felt and that was the end of that for me.

I never read any news about it here, it does not seem to be very promiment in presentation on MMORPG.com for whatever reasons, and only 2 days ago when someone posted about predictions of MMOs in 2010 I read FFXIV was a MMO. I mean, yeah, someone maybe mentioned it, but I thought, well its prolly some single player game with online features, the difference does get somewhat shady these days. So honestly, I have not heard about a new FF MMO since recently. I mean, why make a MMO and call it "Final Fantasy FOURTEEN"? Doesn't that imply, ok, first play FF 1 to 13? Why not just "Final Fantasy ONLINE"? Ok, whatever. But I just don't know. Is any question these days trolling? Wow. So before googling 2 hours and scanning through tons of fanbois and hatebois, I thought, hey why not ask and get some 5 liners like "FF14 is like WOW", or "FF14 is like Lineage 2" or whatever it is like. Is that such a mirculous question in a MMORPG FORUM? XD

EDIT: Ok, I read FFIX is oldschool which I hate. Downtimes, travel times, harsh penealities, EQ1 stuff. Not my thing. Is FF14 like that too? I mean hardcore old school? Or is it more casual like say, LOTRO? Thats what I basically want to know.

to be fully honest...i dont think its gunna be for you. If you dont like anything about oldschool MMO's and love stuff like say WoW or Lotro, 99% chance this will be a big pass for you.

also as its been said in alot of posts before you edited (and posted) the game is FFXI not IX, after that many posts correcting you and you keep mixing them up (even after editing) it just seems like your trolling after all. that and the fact that you didnt off the bat google the game AT ALL even though you wanted to know about it...seems sketchy.

• BenjolaBenjola Member UncommonPosts: 843

I'm old school gamer myself and I've played and loved FF series since playing FF VII on a PS1.

I also knew FFXI was a MMORPG but I didn't pay much attention to it because I was playing Everquest at the time and had no time for any other game.

I never played FF XI, WoW or DAoC because of EQ (guild leader of a 250+ members raiding guild) either.

And even though I quit EQ years ago and played many MMOs since I only found out about FX XIV few months ago from this site.

So.. no, it doesn't sound "fishy" to me that some players had never heard of it, especialy those that never followed the series in the first place.

I care about your gaming 'problems' and teenage anxieties, just not today.

• greed0104greed0104 Member Posts: 2,134
    Originally posted by Benjola

I'm old school gamer myself and I've played and loved FF series since playing FF VII on a PS1.
    I also knew FFXI was a MMORPG but I didn't pay much attention to it because I was playing Everquest at the time and had no time for any other game.
    I never played FF XI, WoW or DAoC because of EQ (guild leader of a 250+ members raiding guild) either.
    And even though I quit EQ years ago and played many MMOs since I only found out about FX XIV few months ago from this site.
    So.. no, it doesn't sound "fishy" to me that some players had never heard of it, especialy those that never followed the series in the first place.

That's about how I started out with the FF series. Played FFVII on the PS1 which was introduced to me by a friend. I just recently played VIII again. So I figured I would check into this one. I didn't really like XI but I'll give XIV a shot when It releases.

It's not fishy at all, I have a few friends that love FF but did not know anything about FFXI or its existence until they seen FFXIV being released and figured out it was a MMO.

• MasterchiefMMasterchiefM Member Posts: 99

Yes it is an MMO and it actually looks good from what ive seen, but gonna have to play it two give my two cents.

• DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678
    Originally posted by greed0104

Originally posted by Benjola

That's about how I started out with the FF series. Played FFVII on the PS1 which was introduced to me by a friend. I just recently played VIII again. So I figured I would check into this one. I didn't really like XI but I'll give XIV a shot when It releases.

It's not fishy at all, I have a few friends that love FF but did not know anything about FFXI or its existence until they seen FFXIV being released and figured out it was a MMO.

Aye, Final Fantasy (particularly the online games) do not get a lot of press (heck, most MMOs don't), so not being aware of it isn't surprising.

• ic0n67ic0n67 Member Posts: 776

Really? ... I mean ... REALLY?

I found out about Final Fantasy XI because it comes after Final Fantasy X. If someone loves the series and can see 10 come out then a 12 come out, why wouldn't there be a nice red flag saying: "Damn must have missed 11." And why would it take someone until 14 to realize that 11 was missing. I mean I know not every game in the series was published in English initially. We got 1, 4, and 6 but for years we thought we had 1, 2, and 3. I mean I saw 7 come out and I got suspicious so I started using these new fangled interwebs to figure out where 4-6 went ...

I can accept that FFXI might be off your radar since it is an MMO -- it was for me until I got a computer that was capable of running it -- but you should still know it is there when you look at the next iteration in FFXII being published or talks of development of FFXIII. I mean in only a meager 100% of the cultures in the world is 11 wedged between 10 and 12.

• swalker23swalker23 Member Posts: 266
    Originally posted by ic0n67

I found out about Final Fantasy XI because it comes after Final Fantasy X. If someone loves the series and can see 10 come out then a 12 come out, why wouldn't there be a nice red flag saying: "Damn must have missed 11." And why would it take someone until 14 to realize that 11 was missing. I mean I know not every game in the series was published in English initially. We got 1, 4, and 6 but for years we thought we had 1, 2, and 3. I mean I saw 7 come out and I got suspicious so I started using these new fangled interwebs to figure out where 4-6 went ...

I can accept that FFXI might be off your radar since it is an MMO -- it was for me until I got a computer that was capable of running it -- but you should still know it is there when you look at the next iteration in FFXII being published or talks of development of FFXIII. I mean in only a meager 100% of the cultures in the world is 11 wedged between 10 and 12.

I have to agree with icon67 on this one.  I've been a fan of the FF series since the first one on the NES and been playing them since then.  When I heard about XI coming out was excited and I didn't know it was a MMO, hell I haven't even played or heard about MMORPGs before XI. (Let me rephrase that it was a game on dreamcast that was almost like a MMO think it was Phantasy Star or something)  I was only aware of online FPS at the time.  I can say I'm glad I stepped into the world of MMO's with XI I truly loved that game and I know I will love XIV.

• greed0104greed0104 Member Posts: 2,134

Sometimes friends can be dumbasses.

• 133794m3r133794m3r Member Posts: 173

I looked at the few screenshots and though, no way in hell this is a MMO! I mean, what uber machines are going to run this?

I wish teh PS3 graphics would be better. But alas they'll be the same as the 360. If not they'll be quite similar. Also the pc version should trump them all. I'm personaly just going to play it on the pc since i don't really have a reason to pay for xbl+pay for FFXIV sub. i hope the game's going to stay that pretty. It's one of the main reasons i never got into FFXI by the time i got a decent pc the graphics just well suck. they really look like they're '01 style.

• Miner-2049erMiner-2049er Member Posts: 435

I don't get it Elikal,

You've started lots of posts in the past about features of MMOs, Old Skool MMOs, death of MMOs, returning to MMOs, no MMOs for me? etc.

I've just read back in your post history and found people -  plenty of people - responding to your posts mentioning FFXI.

I'm guessing the only posts you read are your own.

You are like a film critic who was never heard of Alfred Hitchcock.

• EuphorykEuphoryk Member Posts: 450
    Originally posted by Miner-2049er

I'm guessing the only posts you read are your own.

Pretty accurate, that seems to be exactly what he does.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I have heard of FF.. IX? Or whatever that number of the old FF MMo was, but thats it, the name. I read the official website, but it was not really revealing concerning gameplay at all, just some races and world and thats it. Kinda surprised this is set for 2010 when you read about it nowhere. But maybe I didnt look.

Square is not about hype,they are well known in Japan and China so they don't need hype.

Developers like Blizzard and NCSOFT are about massive marketing and hype,they try to attain subscribers off of talk rather than game play.I am not surprised you do not know of FF MMO's because the way i hear people tak about games,i am sure the majority do not know of FF.

There is even a massive amount of people that quit FFXI early and never learned the game either,they are like little kids,if it does not have arrows and hold your hand,they cannot handle it.Square Enix does nothing like other games,their games can be confusing if you do not have an open mind.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• RJO_RJO_ Member Posts: 174

I came... I saw... I got brain cancer...

• NicksirenNicksiren Member Posts: 37
    Originally posted by RJO_

I came... I saw... I got brain cancer...

lmfao. QFT :)

I still can't wrap my head around some people.