Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR same old MMO?

Comments

• greed0104greed0104 Member Posts: 2,134

Found it

This is not from the German PC game magazine btw. It's actually from some UK magazine and is claimed to be "educated guesses" as to what the classes will be able to do. As I said, until BioWare confirms this, don't be 100% sure.

• DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678

Those "educated guesses" suck.  So if you have lightsiders on the Republic side you have two tanks, a stealther, and a healer?  Where's the DPS?  HT just doesn't fit the facts.

Here's something to consider.  Smuggler uses cover and stealth.  That means he's hiding and hard to hit and damage for that reason.  The Trooper doesn't do that, so he needs to be able to take hits and deal with attacks that will be hitting more often, hence he has relatively high resistences to damage (compared to the smuggler, say).  Same with the Jedi Knight.  Anyhow, an HT game doesn't really make much sense given the information that's been released.  It's possible, but given what Bioware has said I seriously doubt it.  Again, if you make a Jedi Knight and he can't do lots of damage with his Lightsaber, I think people are going to have a problem with that.

Here are more likely roles:

Smuggler:  Stealth, ranged attacks (single-target in particular), scouting, some tricks (probably).

Trooper:  Good defenses, very strong ranged attack (multi-target particularly), can block enemy movement (to help weaker classes)

Jedi Knight:  Melee damage, strong defenses, quick movement, some force powers (lacks the versatility of the Consular), keeps the enemy busy up close

Consular: Lots of support provided.  Ranged attacks through force powers.  Melee capability (but lacks the strong defenses of the Jedi Knight).  Can heal (at least light-sided one) -- doesn't necessarily mean healing will be to the degree we see in traditional MMOs, in fact I really doubt this would be the case).

That's NOT HT and in fact every class might have some self-healing capability.  Don't confuse blocking the enemy and reducing the attacks weaker members receive as the same thing as tanking (tanking is this exaggerated to an insane degree).  I expect to see positioning and reactive/proactive support of allies to play a bigger role than in a traditional MMO.  That's my hope anyhow, seems likely they are going to go this way overall.

• TalgenTalgen Member UncommonPosts: 400

I have high hopes for the game, not unrealistically high but high none the less..  Thats all I'm going to say because I have no personally experience playing it.   If its great its great, if not then it'll be just another coaster, either way its something to actually look forward too.

Originally posted by Drachasor

Those "educated guesses" suck.  So if you have lightsiders on the Republic side you have two tanks, a stealther, and a healer?  Where's the DPS?  HT just doesn't fit the facts.
    The only way I could find this believable is due to this
    Republic seems to be a defensive they try to uphold order, resolve a problem before blood is shed. They're not very aggressive
    Empire are mostly offensive they take what they want causing chaos, kill then ask questions later. They're very aggressive.
    Here's something to consider.  Smuggler uses cover and stealth.  That means he's hiding and hard to hit and damage for that reason.  The Trooper doesn't do that, so he needs to be able to take hits and deal with attacks that will be hitting more often, hence he has relatively high resistences to damage (compared to the smuggler, say).  Same with the Jedi Knight.  Anyhow, an HT game doesn't really make much sense given the information that's been released.  It's possible, but given what Bioware has said I seriously doubt it.  Again, if you make a Jedi Knight and he can't do lots of damage with his Lightsaber, I think people are going to have a problem with that.
    Here are more likely roles:
    Smuggler:  Stealth, ranged attacks (single-target in particular), scouting, some tricks (probably).
    Trooper:  Good defenses, very strong ranged attack (multi-target particularly), can block enemy movement (to help weaker classes)
    Jedi Knight:  Melee damage, strong defenses, quick movement, some force powers (lacks the versatility of the Consular), keeps the enemy busy up close
    Consular: Lots of support provided.  Ranged attacks through force powers.  Melee capability (but lacks the strong defenses of the Jedi Knight).  Can heal (at least light-sided one) -- doesn't necessarily mean healing will be to the degree we see in traditional MMOs, in fact I really doubt this would be the case).
    That's NOT HT and in fact every class might have some self-healing capability.  Don't confuse blocking the enemy and reducing the attacks weaker members receive as the same thing as tanking (tanking is this exaggerated to an insane degree).  I expect to see positioning and reactive/proactive support of allies to play a bigger role than in a traditional MMO.  That's my hope anyhow, seems likely they are going to go this way overall.

It's impossible to tell what the classes functions are until we get more information. I won't believe the article 100% I also won't claim it false until we get a yes or no from BioWare.

Originally posted by greed0104

It's impossible to tell what the classes functions are until we get more information. I won't believe the article 100% I also won't claim it false until we get a yes or no from BioWare.

Just saying there's no reason to take some magazine's educated guesses all that seriously.  Anyhow, we'll see how it goes.  If this ends up being yet ANOTHER HT game, I probably won't play it (and I'll be more than a bit annoyed).  Seems unlikely given how the Sith are setup though.

Just saying there's no reason to take some magazine's educated guesses all that seriously.  Anyhow, we'll see how it goes.  If this ends up being yet ANOTHER HT game, I probably won't play it (and I'll be more than a bit annoyed).  Seems unlikely given how the Sith are setup though.

I never understood the fuss about the HT. To each his own

I'm sick and tired of it on a number of levels.  Led raids in WoW for about a year or more but quit a few months back.  HT just makes things so tactically boring and uninteresting.  Then I start thinking about the ridiculousness of the super-intelligent boss not really attacking anyone else and that just makes it worse.  (For what it is worth, I've mostly done healing and tanking, did DPS a bit but that's even more boring).

I'm sick and tired of it on a number of levels.  Led raids in WoW for about a year or more but quit a few months back.  HT just makes things so tactically boring and uninteresting.  Then I start thinking about the ridiculousness of the super-intelligent boss not really attacking anyone else and that just makes it worse.  (For what it is worth, I've mostly done healing and tanking, did DPS a bit but that's even more boring).

So what would you recommend? No tanks/healers? No tanks at all? It would be a zergfest, nothing strategic about that.

We could question a lot of things, super-intelligent boss or not. It's a game, seems to be what a lot of people forget. Maybe we could make it more realistic if the tanks Taunt was to insult the bosses mother every time he used it. :P

So what would you recommend? No tanks/healers? No tanks at all? It would be a zergfest, nothing strategic about that.

We could question a lot of things, super-intelligent boss or not. It's a game, seems to be what a lot of people forget. Maybe we could make it more realistic if the tanks Taunt was to insult the bosses mother every time he used it. :P

As a trivial example, real life war is NOT a zerg-fest, nor has it ever been (well, that's never been the optimal use of material).  It is also not a Holy Trinity system.  There's also tons of other games that aren't HT and aren't zerg-fests (D&D, Battletech, Diablo, Guild Wars, and hundreds of others).  I actually wrote a whole thing above about what I thought TOR might be like.

As a trivial example, real life war is NOT a zerg-fest, nor has it ever been (well, that's never been the optimal use of material).  It is also not a Holy Trinity system.  There's also tons of other games that aren't HT and aren't zerg-fests (D&D, Battletech, Diablo, Guild Wars, and hundreds of others).  I actually wrote a whole thing above about what I thought TOR might be like.

In real war it's rare to take a bullet in the face and survive, in real war you don't respawn, in real war I can't magically throw fire balls at people, in real war there are no restrictions as to what you can do. I would like to climb the boss and drop a grenade down his throat, one shotting him, but the game is not made for me to do so. If you want a real war, join the army, Real life does not use the HT system.

Diablo is nothing but running circles and zerging. What are you talking about? Never played D&D, looks meh to me. Guild Wars combat was pretty boring to. I don't exactly know how endgame worked though.

• banthisbanthis Member Posts: 1,891

You've obviously never seen a real war.  In real war there are zerg fiests...or have you forgotten what real wars are like?  Sure the War on Terror is a real type of war but its an organized hunt instead of a full scale war like say ... Vietnam or better yet World War 1 & 2 .    ever seen scenes from storming the beach at Normandy?  Hello ... Zerg Fiest.   They threw as many soldiers as they could at that beach to break through. 

Not all wars are sitting back plotting where each little soldier stands in a perfect formation for slow marching behind a tank to blast some supposed terrorists hidden in a dust building.  Full scale wars is a whole lot of running in large groups or even spread out large groups to get in there and take out an entrenched enemy. 

Zergs are really more organized at times then they look.  All it takes though is a well tossed bomb or sniper fire to make everything go completely south and into chaos.

Anyone who sits and talks about Real War as if its all completely organized and not the least bit a good bit of zerging..doesnt know what the hell they're talking about.  The closest to a real war they've probably ever seen is sitting infront of the TV watching Call of Duty.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Originally posted by hayes303

This thread do be exciting and new. What would be sweet would be for the game to actually be allowed to start beta before everyone piles on the doomsaying. Might play like everything else out there or it might not. Hard to tell from the 1 hr or so of game footage avail pre-beta.

And then you'll say "wait until the open beta before doomsaying'.  Followed by wait until launch, wait until the first major patch, to then be followed by "wait until the first expansion"

We've heard it all before, always the same old story.

I might be surprised....but that isn't the way to bet.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Kyleran

This thread do be exciting and new. What would be sweet would be for the game to actually be allowed to start beta before everyone piles on the doomsaying. Might play like everything else out there or it might not. Hard to tell from the 1 hr or so of game footage avail pre-beta.

And then you'll say "wait until the open beta before doomsaying'.  Followed by wait until launch, wait until the first major patch, to then be followed by "wait until the first expansion"

We've heard it all before, always the same old story.

I might be surprised....but that isn't the way to bet.

I have never heard anybody say wait until a expansion. Launch and beta, I've heard those. Beta is not meant to be "Try before you buy", it's about testing and fixing. So saying save judgment for release is acceptable. Also saying wait 2-3 months after release can mean something to. It seriously depends on the state of the game on release day. If it released almost completely broken I'd say 2-3 months is no longer part of the picture the game should have stayed in beta. If it had few problems (server lag, few bugs etc) then saying wait for a few months would be acceptable.

Originally posted by banthis

You've obviously never seen a real war.  In real war there are zerg fiests...or have you forgotten what real wars are like?  Sure the War on Terror is a real type of war but its an organized hunt instead of a full scale war like say ... Vietnam or better yet World War 1 & 2 .    ever seen scenes from storming the beach at Normandy?  Hello ... Zerg Fiest.   They threw as many soldiers as they could at that beach to break through. 

Not all wars are sitting back plotting where each little soldier stands in a perfect formation for slow marching behind a tank to blast some supposed terrorists hidden in a dust building.  Full scale wars is a whole lot of running in large groups or even spread out large groups to get in there and take out an entrenched enemy. 

Zergs are really more organized at times then they look.  All it takes though is a well tossed bomb or sniper fire to make everything go completely south and into chaos.

Anyone who sits and talks about Real War as if its all completely organized and not the least bit a good bit of zerging..doesnt know what the hell they're talking about.  The closest to a real war they've probably ever seen is sitting infront of the TV watching Call of Duty.

Once you organize a Zerg Fest it is not longer a Zerg Fest.  The distinguishing feature about Zerging is the LACK of organization.  Normandy wasn't a Zerg Fest, but it was an organized and carefully planned attack against a very fortified position (which because of that fortification required a lot of troops and a lot of losses).  This involved a LOT of strategy and tactics.

I never said real war was completely organized though.  I am not sure where you are getting that.  Real war is a chaotic mess, of course, but that doesn't mean unit cohesion, discipline, organization, and tactics are meaningless things.  Plans don't survive contact with the enemy (most of the time), but that doesn't mean planning is meaningless.  That doesn't mean in the middle of a fight you should just ignore sound tactic principles and rush the enemy.  What it does mean is that you can't be sure what is going to happen next, you might die at any time, but making good decisions in the split seconds you have still matters (as do good reflexes and such too, of course).

In real war it's rare to take a bullet in the face and survive, in real war you don't respawn, in real war I can't magically throw fire balls at people, in real war there are no restrictions as to what you can do. I would like to climb the boss and drop a grenade down his throat, one shotting him, but the game is not made for me to do so. If you want a real war, join the army, Real life does not use the HT system.

Diablo is nothing but running circles and zerging. What are you talking about? Never played D&D, looks meh to me. Guild Wars combat was pretty boring to. I don't exactly know how endgame worked though. 

I was talking about the D&D pen and paper RPG.  Anyhow, Diablo when you get in a group can easily involve tactical thought (some class combos enable this more than others) especially if you up the difficulty and artificially increase the # of players so that going in blindly doesn't work so well.

Hmm, on real war.  You start off saying there are things that can't happen, then say there are no restrictions.  I find that kinda funny.  : )

Anyhow, If soldiers could take 10 bullets before dying in real life, that wouldn't turn things into a Zerg Fest either.  Your points are not particularly relevent regarding the general nature of possible combat systems.

My point was that there are plenty of examples in real life, games, and fiction where HT isn't what is going on.  Just because you don't have HT doesn't mean there aren't tactical concerns.  An MMO without HT doesn't mean it is a Zerg Fest.  What it does mean is that the classes and monsters (and monster AI) will be designed differently (AI will be able to be more intelligent, in fact), but that's about it.   Anyhow, the exact way the many, many non-HT things in real life and in games aren't HT doesn't MATTER for our purposes except for the fact not having HT doesn't mean you are stuck with Zerging.

• JurredJurred Member UncommonPosts: 47

Hard to tell from the 1 hr or so of game footage avail pre-beta.

No it isn't...LOL. You can tell how a game is going to play from 5 minutes of gameplay. One hours is plenty to see it's going to be the same old thing with more jumping and rolling etc.

• Darkness690Darkness690 Member Posts: 174
    Originally posted by ipwnyounoob

No it isn't...LOL. You can tell how a game is going to play from 5 minutes of gameplay. One hours is plenty to see it's going to be the same old thing with more jumping and rolling etc.

No, you can only tell how the actual gameplay is going to be after playing for 5 minutes, that's it. We still have no idea what everything we can do in the game. The gameplay to me looks like KOTOR + an MMO feel which I think what they're going for....you know, it is an online KOTOR afterall.

Those saying that because there is a tank, healer, and DPS the game must play with the "holy trinity." Well, maybe it does play like that who knows? But because just those "classes" are in it doesn't mean it has to be played that way, CoX is a fine example of that. Have any combination of classes and you can do 99% of the content in the game.

1 I was talking about the D&D pen and paper RPG.  Anyhow, Diablo when you get in a group can easily involve tactical thought (some class combos enable this more than others) especially if you up the difficulty and artificially increase the # of players so that going in blindly doesn't work so well.
    2 Hmm, on real war.  You start off saying there are things that can't happen, then say there are no restrictions.  I find that kinda funny.  : )

Anyhow, If soldiers could take 10 bullets before dying in real life, that wouldn't turn things into a Zerg Fest either.  Your points are not particularly relevent regarding the general nature of possible combat systems.
    3 My point was that there are plenty of examples in real life, games, and fiction where HT isn't what is going on.  Just because you don't have HT doesn't mean there aren't tactical concerns.  An MMO without HT doesn't mean it is a Zerg Fest.  What it does mean is that the classes and monsters (and monster AI) will be designed differently (AI will be able to be more intelligent, in fact), but that's about it.   Anyhow, the exact way the many, many non-HT things in real life and in games aren't HT doesn't MATTER for our purposes except for the fact not having HT doesn't mean you are stuck with Zerging.

1. Yeah I've played Diablo with a few people. It was a bit more difficult, I was still spending my time spamming 2-3 buttons while running circles to avoid flames. It's not bad, I enjoyed the game. I just didn't see much strategy going on. I also know next to shit about P&P rpgs. I don't exactly roleplay so forgive my ignorance.

2. That's because you don't understand the restrictions I'm talking about. I'm talking about actions taken. A game is programmed so you do what they limit you to. In real life you can carry out any action you want. Want to climb that tree? Do it. Want to blow up something? Do it. The police will exercise their actions as well.

Related to your last post: The taunt argument is goofy, ever been in a fist fight involving more then one person? I've seen fights, been involved in them. And the guy that you piss off will stick to you no matter how many friends you have. YOU pissed him off therefore his goal is to knock the shit out of you first. If somebody else pisses him off more (watch your agro) he will probably jump away from you and shoot for him. It's really no different.

I now feel "dumber" for talking about this. Because I understand realistically a fight in a game and in real life will be quite different. But that does not mean agro, tanks or anything of that sort are silly.

3. As I said, to each his own. I think Diablo is a circle running zerg fest, you think it has strategy. At this point it don't matter. ToR can't please everybody.

I thought WoW was going to suck from the videos I watched before release. I got into the Stress Test and loved it.

So that makes you wrong.

1. That's because you don't understand the restrictions I'm talking about. I'm talking about actions taken. A game is programmed so you do what they limit you to. In real life you can carry out any action you want. Want to climb that tree? Do it. Want to blow up something? Do it. The police will exercise their actions as well.
    2. Related to your last post: The taunt argument is goofy, ever been in a fist fight involving more then one person? I've seen fights, been involved in them. And the guy that you piss off will stick to you no matter how many friends you have. YOU pissed him off therefore his goal is to knock the shit out of you first. If somebody else pisses him off more (watch your agro) he will probably jump away from you and shoot for him. It's really no different.
    3. I now feel "dumber" for talking about this. Because I understand realistically a fight in a game and in real life will be quite different. But that does not mean agro, tanks or anything of that sort are silly. 

Well, I think we can drop Diablo talk, not really that important (plenty of other games with stronger tactical considerations).

1. If taking an action kills you before you can really complete it (e.g. charging in trench warfare), then essentially it is a limitation in my book.  Yeah, you can't get everything possible in real life into a game, but that's why you have special abilities and so forth (and ideally as technology progresses more efforts made to make the game have that higher level of realism).

2. Yeah, taunting works on some people, that's true.  Generally the people more likely to get provoked into a fist fight are more likely to have taunting work on them.  Going back to the army example, if a particular part of the enemy army broadcasts out insults towards you, then destroying their broadcast system might be a morale concern, but beyond that a wise leader doesn't let that dictate strategy.  Same thing in a fist fight, just because some idiots CAN get taunted, doesn't mean someone who keeps their head will let it control them.  The smart thing to do is to use your anger and not to let it control you.  It is even less likely to work in a fantasy world where that person that taunted you has a friend that can magically heal them off to the side and you can hardly hurt the person that did the taunting.  I'm sure there's something like this in real life where a friend is off to the side helping somehow (and let's assume you ARE in a fist fight and the guy you are attacking is REALLY hard to hurt and that other guy looks trivial and is making things a lot harder in some way -- yeah, some people might be dumb enough to ignore that, but plenty of people won't be, imho).

If manipulating emotions like this worked so easily, then the first person that used it in any military scenario would win, because the other guy would automatically lose their head and get drawn into a battle.  There are plenty of people that aren't hot-heads, and even hot-heads can potentially realize they are fighting in an extraordinarily stupid way in a fight that lasts for many minutes.

3.  I don't think there is anything wrong with bringing up fighting in real life.  Ideally the game should feel realistic after all.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

3.  I don't think there is anything wrong with bringing up fighting in real life.  Ideally the game should feel realistic after all.

I think a game ceases to feel realistic when someone can throw lightning bolts,wield a lightsaber or cast spells. ;)

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

Originally posted by ktanner3

I think a game ceases to feel realistic when someone can throw lightning bolts,wield a lightsaber or cast spells. ;)

Naturally a given fictional world changes some of the rules for how things work.  Star Wars adds in the Force, high technology, alien races, and some other stuff.  Beyond that though, the world basically operates according to the same rules our does.  If you cut off a normal person's head and then they start dancing around and the head starts singing, there better be a DANG good explanation or that is going to really break realism (also called "immersion").  So, since in Star Wars intelligent races operate in a way we can understand -- in a rough sense like some variation on human behavior -- then people behaving in a dramatically different way in a game (like willing jumping into lava) doesn't make sense.  Within the context of Star Wars that sort of behavior isn't realistic.

In short, the setting asks for our willing suspension of disbelief in some areas.  That doesn't mean it is asking for it in every area (and in particular it is NOT asking that).

• JurredJurred Member UncommonPosts: 47

I thought WoW was going to suck from the videos I watched before release. I got into the Stress Test and loved it.

So that makes you wrong.

WoW does suck.

So that makes you wrong.

WoW does suck.

With a name like "Ipwnyounoob" I shouldn't expect you to get the point.

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

So that makes you wrong.

WoW does suck.

Yes it does. Majorly.