Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mob A.I

comerbcomerb Member UncommonPosts: 944

After recently resubbing to Darkfall after about 8 months to give it another try... I noticed something immediately.  Does anyone else find it somewhat ironic that the only MMO with reasonably intelligent mob A.I happens to be Darkfall, the game with the weakest overall PvE content.   Seriously, grinding mobs was so much more fun compared to other games I've played recently (Aion, Fallen Earth, AoC, WAR) because of how dynamic and challenging the mob AI is.

Kinda a slap in the face of all the more PvE oriented games with absolutely retarded mob A.I.  I think I'd be a bit embarrassed honestly.

AV showed us Quake bot type AI could be implemented on an MMO scale... why are the other developers setting their bar so low?  Why isn't this more of an issue?  It's really unacceptable when you think about it.

I know I get a sick pleasure out of crushing goblin heads in DF that I just don't get in other games, simply because they are mildly challenging and intelligent.  I'd like to see this particular "feature" become par for the course in all MMOs

Comments

• EkibiogamiEkibiogami Member UncommonPosts: 2,154

Cronicals of spellborn had (Imho) verry good A.I.

Tabula Rasa also had good AI... when it dident Boop Up that is.

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    —Samuel Adams

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

People are weirdly content with aggro/hate/rage mechanics and the holy trinity it generates. I'm always delighted to see AI in MMOs. GW had AI so does the new NPCs in Eve as well. This is a good direction. Makes combat more involving and exciting.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230

Many have said that they would have revolutionary AI but then didnt because they couldnt get it to work.  My point is that it is not from not trying.

I remember one game, I think it was oblivion, where devs said a drug user would "learn" that he could attack other npc's to get his money for a fix.  All the fanbois exclaimed it as fact even before they ever saw it.  Of course there was nothing at all like that at release.

Im interested though in what you have seen in darkfall that qualifies as AI?  Im guessing mobs react in some way to your choice of actions?

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Actually better AI is not that hard. How hard can it be to script the mob to attack the magic users first and use healing whenever he can?

But remember hack-n-slash gameplay is NOT about challenge, but about mowing down horde & horde of mobs in interesting ways.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

NPC AI is probably the weakest point of mmo's or most video games period. Only two mmo's I've played in the past 5 years had better than poor AI and that was guild wars and tabula rasa. Every other game the AI is just terrible.

• MunkiMunki Member CommonPosts: 2,128
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Actually better AI is not that hard. How hard can it be to script the mob to attack the magic users first and use healing whenever he can?
    But remember hack-n-slash gameplay is NOT about challenge, but about mowing down horde & horde of mobs in interesting ways.

AHAHAHA,,,,

okay, you go tell that to some grad students working with AI; then get back to me.

There is a reason AI in videogames sucks. In order to get anywhere with AI; you really need to look at grad school and very specific studies...

Programmers who do quality AI are expensive.

Players who would appreciate the AI upgrade are non-existant.

AI programmers with experience in the video game industry are HARD to find... finding one whose got an education and knowledge of AI worth beans... Almost impossible.

Getting him to work for what you want to pay... Actually impossible.

Players don't appreciate AI enough to justify the costs of actually implementing quality AI.

after 6 or so years, I had to change it a little...

• caalemcaalem Member UncommonPosts: 289

as a programmer that has seen AI code and never wishes to touch it

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

• tensspottingtensspotting Member Posts: 179

Very true DF's AI is much more lifelike compared to any mmorpg AI

And for Thursdays expansion the AI will BE UPGRADED - so much that they will LOWER the mobs HP to make them killable

Now that's what I call PVE

also the expansion will bring all sorts of new wilderness mobs, and PVE experiences

• SimielSimiel Member Posts: 149

immensely intelligent words! I KNOW RIGHT?