Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ship Combat

someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Im a bit confused about the ship combat. I was hoping for interiors like in Gunships in SWG. With a role for each player of your team during combat. Although thats only turrets, navigation and piloting in SWG, I expected more diverse roles in STO. Energy management/routing, piloting, tactical officers and engineers etc.

• That during combat a ship can be disabled, its crew has to repair it to get a chance to get away. So activaly repairing the subcomponents.
  • But  also instead of destroying, you chose to board your disabled ship. So a crew can play any role on ship during ship vs ship combat, but switch to their ground abilities when they get boarded to fight off the intruders.
  • To prevent boarding (which obviously takes time and gives a warning), you could try to disable the tractor beam that holds your ships, while your teammates try to repair the engines to get away.

For this reason I expected interiors like in SWG where you can move around in freely with your team. This is not only interesting for PvP, but also for PVE of course where you get to board enemy npc's ships etc.

But now that I looked at the shipcombat details , Ive noticed that every ship is nothing but a large mob. Its just like any other ground PVE, but then with starship specials. This leaves out a lot of diversity in space combat potential I think. With the deck just acting like a social hub, itll rarely be used. Players need better incentives to visit a different player's starship (house).

Discuss :)

Comments

• Cpt_PicardCpt_Picard Member Posts: 300

I'm certain boarding will happen during missions, however from what I have seen STO will play very much like POTBS. Potbs has boarding, the boarding battle is usually not on the model of ship that you are boarding (Usually just a base model that scales with size).

Make it so...

• Darth_OsorDarth_Osor Member Posts: 1,089
    Originally posted by Cpt_Picard

I'm certain boarding will happen during missions, however from what I have seen STO will play very much like POTBS. Potbs has boarding, the boarding battle is usually not on the model of ship that you are boarding (Usually just a base model that scales with size).

There might be SPECIFIC missions involving boarding enemy ships, but normal boarding actions involve sending AI controlled shuttles with AI controlled marines to board a ship and damage subsystems.  No beaming over and capturing the enemy ship unless it is a dedicated mission objective.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by Darth_Osor

There might be SPECIFIC missions involving boarding enemy ships, but normal boarding actions involve sending AI controlled shuttles with AI controlled marines to board a ship and damage subsystems.  No beaming over and capturing the enemy ship unless it is a dedicated mission objective.

Precisely. Not sure how effective sending those shuttles over would be. I know that using skill points in security helps preventing your ship from being affected by those landing parties, but I'm curious if you will be able to target those shuttles and shoot them down.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

I never played POBTS. An example of what I mean :

During combat (PVE or PVP) with an other starship, the other starship disables your warp ability  and holds you with its upgraded tractorbeam in place. This as preperation to board you.

• Boarding would really send npcs (or enemy players in pvp) to your starship and start combat on board of your ship.
    • Using shuttles or beaming crew onto your ship (which might require disabling of other subsystems first).

To prevent this from happening I could see some possibilities like :

• Disable their tractorbeam and get out of range of the boarding shuttle.
    • Repair your warp ability in time and jump away.
    • Disable their boarding shuttle to prevent them from entering your ship.
    • Scramble their sensors to prevent them from beaming their crew on your ship.

If that fails, you get combat onboard of your ship. Your teammembers have to abandon their posts to engage in combat, although maybe you only use 3 to buy time,while some others repair the warp ability.

Something like that anyway. This kind of scenario needs targettable subsystems and an interior that lets you fight inside it. It could be used in PVE missions, in PVP, or just during exploring. Of course you can also board npc ships, which might give you a chance to whatever is important in STO (extra loot, knowlegde, coin whatever).

Anyway, this is what I expected if I think about the Star Trek series and movies. Not starships as single mob.

• DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678
    Originally posted by someforumguy

During combat (PVE or PVP) with an other starship, the other starship disables your warp ability  and holds you with its upgraded tractorbeam in place. This as preperation to board you.

• Boarding would really send npcs (or enemy players in pvp) to your starship and start combat on board of your ship.
    • Using shuttles or beaming crew onto your ship (which might require disabling of other subsystems first).

If that fails, you get combat onboard of your ship. Your teammembers have to abandon their posts to engage in combat, although maybe you only use 3 to buy time,while some others repair the warp ability.

Something like that anyway. This kind of scenario needs targettable subsystems and an interior that lets you fight inside it. It could be used in PVE missions, in PVP, or just during exploring. Of course you can also board npc ships, which might give you a chance to whatever is important in STO (extra loot, knowlegde, coin whatever).

Anyway, this is what I expected if I think about the Star Trek series and movies. Not starships as single mob.

Well, for what it is worth, it isn't going to be anything like that.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    Originally posted by Drachasor

I just read the review and Im quite underwhelmed by shipcombat. Its nothing but a shootout with the usual tank and spank, thats disappointing to me. Also no boarding,  except for the missions that are specifically designed for that.

It sounds more like CoH in space with the way missions are described. Anyway, itll be maybe fun for ppl who find the ip by itself interesting enough, but I think that it lacks depth. It seems that Cryptic just stayed very close to what they already did in other games.

You people, have fun with it  :) (genuinly, not sarcastic)

• EkibiogamiEkibiogami Member UncommonPosts: 2,154

Originally posted by Drachasor

I just read the review and Im quite underwhelmed by shipcombat. Its nothing but a shootout with the usual tank and spank, thats disappointing to me. Also no boarding,  except for the missions that are specifically designed for that.

It sounds more like CoH in space with the way missions are described. Anyway, itll be maybe fun for ppl who find the ip by itself interesting enough, but I think that it lacks depth. It seems that Cryptic just stayed very close to what they already did in other games.

You people, have fun with it  :) (genuinly, not sarcastic)

As a fan if the IP i find it verry lacking on everything that makes Star Trek great... Personaly i think its looking to be one of the biggests flops in a long time...

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    —Samuel Adams