Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Consoles never PC forever

1235»

Comments

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Originally posted by SaintViktor
    Originally posted by Yamota
    Originally posted by tvalentine
    Originally posted by adoniskev
    Originally posted by soap46 I've actually had the chance to use one of these, and I must admit that it is pretty damn cool.  I played RE5 on it and it worked like a charm.  The only thing here is that only certain games are supported for it.  Also, you need one hell of a graphics card (I'd go with no lower than a GTX 280) to run games in this smoothly, as it is very taxing on resources.  It's a good product, and it works well, but just remember that it may be a bigger investment than you'd originally think with a new card and all. 

Kickass monitor in that bundle BTW.

I created a PC for less than 800 usd, and it plays every single game out there at high settings. 

for 800$ i can get a PS3/360 and 8 new games (maybe 7 if you include tax). And i wont have to worry about upgrading for the next 6-8 years. So i can save hundreds of dollars not worrying about upgrades for almost a decade and have twice as many games as you.

Except ofcourse PC games cost almost half that of PS3/Xbox 360 and you can download pirated games and not risk getting banned from the internet for doing so.
    As for 6-8 years. How long do you think those 8 games will last you? Maybe a year? Then you have to buy another 7-8 per year so in the long run a PC is much more wortwhile than a console.

Games on a PC are only $10.00 less compared to console games. You also can trade in old console games and get towards a new one, where as pc games you can't trade them in. A good pc can run you about $600.00 and a console costs $300 for an elite. Consoles require little to no maintenance while a pc needs alot more maintenance and eventually cost you even more money.

If you're an up to date member of today's society, you're going to want to have a computer anyways, so that $600 is giving you far more potential use that a mere console would. The cost of a decent gaming rig could be considered the difference between upgrading a standard off the shelf desktop PC to play games, which in many cases is as simple as a ram and/or a graphics card upgrade. Again, that's assuming the average gamer is going to have a PC anyways.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Originally posted by Ceridith

Originally posted by SaintViktor

Originally posted by Yamota

Originally posted by tvalentine

Originally posted by adoniskev

Originally posted by soap46

I've actually had the chance to use one of these, and I must admit that it is pretty damn cool.  I played RE5 on it and it worked like a charm.  The only thing here is that only certain games are supported for it.  Also, you need one hell of a graphics card (I'd go with no lower than a GTX 280) to run games in this smoothly, as it is very taxing on resources.  It's a good product, and it works well, but just remember that it may be a bigger investment than you'd originally think with a new card and all. 

Kickass monitor in that bundle BTW.

I created a PC for less than 800 usd, and it plays every single game out there at high settings. 

for 800$ i can get a PS3/360 and 8 new games (maybe 7 if you include tax). And i wont have to worry about upgrading for the next 6-8 years. So i can save hundreds of dollars not worrying about upgrades for almost a decade and have twice as many games as you.

Except ofcourse PC games cost almost half that of PS3/Xbox 360 and you can download pirated games and not risk getting banned from the internet for doing so.

As for 6-8 years. How long do you think those 8 games will last you? Maybe a year? Then you have to buy another 7-8 per year so in the long run a PC is much more wortwhile than a console.

Games on a PC are only $10.00 less compared to console games. You also can trade in old console games and get towards a new one, where as pc games you can't trade them in. A good pc can run you about $600.00 and a console costs $300 for an elite. Consoles require little to no maintenance while a pc needs alot more maintenance and eventually cost you even more money.

If you're an up to date member of today's society, you're going to want to have a computer anyways, so that $600 is giving you far more potential use that a mere console would. The cost of a decent gaming rig could be considered the difference between upgrading a standard off the shelf desktop PC to play games, which in many cases is as simple as a ram and/or a graphics card upgrade. Again, that's assuming the average gamer is going to have a PC anyways.

I still love my pc a ton but I think this is a neverending discussion. PCs have better graphics and processors while consoles are more stable and cost less to buy. Both are good systems to play on.

• AladyleynaAladyleyna Member Posts: 269

The majority of games I play actually fit more on a computer than a console actually. This is because when it comes to PC gaming, I play mainly MMOs, and I need my keyboard to type, in order to chat with my fellow gamers. I have yet to see a MMO game that I can actually play on a console, especially since the keyboard is actually the most important gaming tool for me. If I can't use a keyboard for a game, then I won't play the game. And yes, I still love MMOs.

In addition to gaming, I also use my laptop for school as well, so it's very good value for money.

As of yet, I do not see the need to own a console, but I have played console games on my cousin's x-box before, and I love consoles because I actually get to play with my real life friends rather than online friends that I probably would never meet in real life. Maybe one of these days, when I get my own place and earn my own money, I'll buy an x-box (or whichever version they use then), but for now, I don't see the need for it.

Main characters:
    Jinn Gone Quiet (Guild Wars)
    Princess Pudding (Guild Wars)

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470

For good or bad, consoles is where the future of gaming is headed.  The 2 main reasons for that are price and ease of use.  Consoles cost a lot less than a decent gaming pc and people can just pop the disk in and play on their couch, alone or with friends sitting next to them.  From a technical standpoint, the PS3 and 360 are behind pc's but for most people consoles are "good enough".   One thing people have to remember about consoles is that the companies that make them lose money on each one sold (well, maybe not Nintendo, not sure about them).  It costs significantly more to make a PS3 and a 360 than what they're being sold for.  Its not quite as big of a loss now than when they first came out, but they both still sell at a loss.  So essentially, consoles are subsidized by the companies making them, a luxury pcs don't have.  Sony lost so much money on the PS3 that its uncertain when, or even if, they will launch a new console.  I wouldn't count on seeing any new consoles coming out anytime soon.  It might be 5 years or more until we see a new one and will they be sold at a loss like the current gen consoles are?  Maybe, maybe not.

I personally have a  PS3, Wii and 360 and I spend 95% of my gaming time on a pc because I prefer it.  I use my PS3 mostly to watch Blu Ray movies, my 360 for sports and fighting games, and I don't think I've touched my Wii (hehe) in almost 2 years.  For me, the mouse/keyboard setup is much better.  I can't play fps using a gamepad because it just feels too clunky and unintuitive.  The same goes for a lot of other types of games like rts.  Not only that, but the games generally look better on a pc.  The problem with game development over the past few years is that as companies see that the money is in making games for consoles and not the pc.  In doing so, they often don't make them to take advantage of the pc's strengths over consoles, so instead we get stuff like crappy UI's, check point save systems, lesser graphic capabilities, etc etc.  I honestly think that the reason we haven't seen very many DX10 capable games(or DX11) is because since consoles can't make use of it, then theres no incentive to design a game that uses it.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• Rikimaru_XRikimaru_X Member UncommonPosts: 11,718

The post above me is pretty good and then there is a lot of ignorant post in here. I do think that pc gamers are the biggest whiners in the community of video games, mainly because they feel threatend by conosles. Console gamers, many of them are very well rounded and talented with both keyboard and controler. Thing is me, I play everything. The PC is for simple games and MMO's and the X360 is for everything else. It's funny that most gamers can't just shut up and do what they like to do which is play the damn game. I'm not going to sit here and defend/attack gamers for their choices, I'd rather just play a game.

Console gaming isn't dead, the shit is as visible as daylight. Duke Nukem Forever is dead (at the moment?) and we don't even talk about that game anymore...just have memories. I think the only thing I have let go over PC gamers whining is MW2...and even though I guess it took a lot away from the eariler FPS games when it comes to multiplayer, still you can play the damn game. My father raised me on gaming. From the nintendo, super nintendo, sega and to PC with Doom, Duke Nukem, Warcraft, Warcraft II, etc. I love everything. I like to play video games. Where there comes a time where I will buy a high end pc for a nice game I will if it is a good investment.

-In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on Aug/13/08-
    |
    RISING DRAGOON ~AION US ONLINE LEGION for Elyos