Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMOFPS dead? (Poll)

Recently, a new genre of games has tried to come into the mainstream pc gamer's home, the MMOFPS.

What ive noticed, is that many MMOFPS titles, either never release, or ask the common $15 for online play.

Now here is the poll, would you more likely play a online FPS for free, like COD4, or pay $15 for a game like Global Agenda?

Comments

• TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547

The internet hasn't reached the point where MMOFPS can compete with the CoD4 type games. When I play CoD4, I sort by ping then from there I find what server would be best. A MMOFPS just can't do this in the same way. It's using up much more bandwidth on their side and you have people like me. I have a 10Mbps connection, but my ISPs servers suck horribly and I don't get a good ping to many places outside of Dallas, TX. (where I first jump into the Internet from my ISP)

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

80% of everything is crap.

Taking that literally, we'll see 4 more cruddy MMOFPSes before the next Planetside.  We haven't seen 1 MMOFPS since then afaik...

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• WarjinWarjin Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    Originally posted by Axehilt

Taking that literally, we'll see 4 more cruddy MMOFPSes before the next Planetside.  We haven't seen 1 MMOFPS since then afaik...

Some games use the fps controls but they are fantasy, what you really mean is We haven't seen 1 SCI FI Shooter MMOFPS since then lol.

Ill tell you what we havn't seen  EVER, A sci fi MMORPGFPS, a FPS with MMORPG elements like raids, story/character progress like our standard MMORPGS, I'm willing to bet thats what up Blizzards sleave with there next MMO.

• DerrialDerrial Member Posts: 250

I haven't had a chance to play a MMOFPS since Planetside but I have played about a dozen regular FPS games since then, so it's hard to answer this poll. I do enjoy regular online FPS games (in fact I just finished playing a round of COD4 before typing this), but I also think there is a place for MMOFPS with a regular subscription fee.

• paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613

I would have loved TCoS if only it didn't give the knifes of wrist cutting to the publishers.

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.

• johnmatthaisjohnmatthais Member CommonPosts: 2,663

Hell no.

WWII Online FTW.

• Reapr1Reapr1 Member Posts: 1

Some companies are starting to come around.The beta is happening now for K.O.S Secret Operations(Sting),and its really fun to play.But thankfully its in beta because the hit detection and strength of the weapons is kinda off.

But it is the first one I've seen in a while that doesn't require a super computer to run yet it has a flashlight on every gun,night vision(which has yet to be seen in the beta),and to top it all off,its really fun.

So hopefully it's a sign that game developers and companies are coming around.Maybe their starting to realize not all mmofps have to be p2p.Some can be f2p with maybe an item mall for special suits or uniforms,nothing game changing.All I know is that I'm looking forward to the day when a good mmofps comes out that's pretty much f2p,has good content and gameplay,and just is overall fun.

Until that day,we just have to wait.

(P.s.Still waiting on open beta for Blackshot.I hope it's not another Sugar Rush.lol)

Originally posted by Warjin

Some games use the fps controls but they are fantasy, what you really mean is We haven't seen 1 SCI FI Shooter MMOFPS since then lol.

Ill tell you what we havn't seen  EVER, A sci fi MMORPGFPS, a FPS with MMORPG elements like raids, story/character progress like our standard MMORPGS, I'm willing to bet thats what up Blizzards sleave with there next MMO.

Well MMOFPS describes the core gameplay as being FPS.  That's not the case with the MMORPGs which use FPS aiming.  Those games are still largely influenced by RPG elements.  I don't imagine a 2-hour old Darkfall character has any reasonable chance against someone who's played constantly since release, regardless of skill (but correct me if I'm wrong; it would raise my impression of the game considerably.)

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

until you get over 200 people in a battle, you're not an MMOFPS

Global Agenda is TF2 with a persistent lobby.  

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

• Einherjar_LCEinherjar_LC Member UncommonPosts: 1,055
    Originally posted by Warjin

Try Fallen Earth if you haven't already.

Post Apoc/sci-fi setting, MMORPG, using FPS combat(melee/pistols/rifles).

It's a monumental effort by an Indy developer called Icarus.

Einherjar_LC says: WTB the true successor to UO or Asheron's Call pst!

• KordeshKordesh Member Posts: 1,715

"Recently"??? Last I checked there was all of maybe one real MMOFPS and that was planetside, which came out YEARS ago. I haven't even really heard of one since. And putting it up against an online shooter isn't even accurate, because they have two completely different goals. Ones a persistent world usually with some form of RPG elements (levels, abilities etc) or ranking system, and the other is just a stat match where you play the same handful of maps that constantly rotate and is the antithesis of a persistent world, which might have some stupid leaderboard that people wank over. 

Bans a perma, but so are sigs in necro posts.

EAT ME MMORPG.com!

• LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332
    Originally posted by luckypotato

Recently, a new genre of games has tried to come into the mainstream pc gamer's home, the MMOFPS.
    What ive noticed, is that many MMOFPS titles, either never release, or ask the common $15 for online play.

Which MMOFPS are you referring to?

Sudden Attack, Special Force, Combat Arms, Wolf Team and Crossfire are all F2P and most of them have proven to be very popular.

-- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • luckturtzluckturtz Member Posts: 422

Is this serious topic?Is the MMOFPS dead?We have not even seen the true beginning of MMOFPS era.Borderlands prove you can successful merge shooter with rpg,Now a game just needs do to this in persistant world online with more than four players

The poll is not even fair question the real question is would Activision-Blizzard like to be able charge 15 dollars a month to all people playing CODMW2? Does Microsoft want a Halo that they can charge 15 dollars for the next four years? Does Epic or Crytek whose unreal engine or cryengine have been used in countless mmorpg want a Gears of war or FarCry that keeps on making money.Trust me FPS are looking for way to make that mmo money.Don't worry you see much more Global agendas,Huxleys or Fallen Earths much longer.

• skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692
    Originally posted by luckturtz

Don't worry you see much more Global agendas,Huxleys or Fallen Earths much longer.

So a shooter you pay to play for is an MMOFPS? good definition. Theres nothing massive about global agenda and Huxley, dunno about fallen earth, ill just presume its 30v30 at the most or all pve. 

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

• devouxdevoux Member Posts: 86

Well MMORPG FPS has hardly even come out let alone died.

I would love to have a combat system where if i shoot you in the head i get bonus points and am still able to buy better guns gear progress through levels. I think it would be a challenge to make a good RPG game with that style though.

Originally posted by skyexile

Originally posted by luckturtz

Don't worry you see much more Global agendas,Huxleys or Fallen Earths much longer.

So a shooter you pay to play for is an MMOFPS? good definition. Theres nothing massive about global agenda and Huxley, dunno about fallen earth, ill just presume its 30v30 at the most or all pve. 

By your definition Aoc is not MMORPG,It is not call Massive because they can 200 vs 200 people fighting each other.It call Massive because massive amount people are playing the game at the same time a 1,000 and more people can be online in the same world at same time.

Massive- Hundreds to maybe even thousands people playing one game

Multiplayer-At anytime they can team up and player together

Online-It happens through the magic of the internet

Nowhere says that all these people have to be able to fight each other at one time.How many people you can fit on screen to fighting does not decide if it is a MMO.

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

In my opinion, the MMOFPS has yet to reach it's true glory. There is tremendous potential, just waiting for a developer to finally get it all right. I have a feeling it's not too far off. I don't think the MMOFPS is dead, quite the oposite, I think it's just getting started.

As it stands right now, for pure PvP, multiplayer FPS wins hands down. The balance is nearly unbeatable in games like Team Fortress and Left 4 Dead, and of course they are free to play once you buy the box. But games like CoD4 and others have began adding alot of RPG elements to thier FPS games. Its only a matter of time before the two genres just meld naturally, I believe.

Games like Half-Life, Fallout 3, and Mass Effect have proved that you can have an unbelieveable RPG element in a game that is, essentially, a shooter. If those games were online and done properly, the company would make a killing.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

Originally posted by devoux

Well MMORPG FPS has hardly even come out let alone died.
    I would love to have a combat system where if i shoot you in the head i get bonus points and am still able to buy better guns gear progress through levels. I think it would be a challenge to make a good RPG game with that style though.

MMO Borderlands.  Combining RPG and FPS is tricky, but with the right constraints it can be pretty fun.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Plasmicredx

Planetside 2 might be coming out some day.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/09/26/rumor-sony-survey-hints-at-planetside-2-development/

i hope they do bring out a planetside 2, the original is still running, and its a good game, but with dated graphics. i would have to agree with previous statements, unless a game is capable of handling battles involving forces on either side in excess of 200, i dont think you can really call it a mmofps. as far as i know, planetside is the only game that actually qualifies for the title.

Originally posted by Phry

Originally posted by Plasmicredx

Planetside 2 might be coming out some day.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/09/26/rumor-sony-survey-hints-at-planetside-2-development/

i hope they do bring out a planetside 2, the original is still running, and its a good game, but with dated graphics. i would have to agree with previous statements, unless a game is capable of handling battles involving forces on either side in excess of 200, i dont think you can really call it a mmofps. as far as i know, planetside is the only game that actually qualifies for the title.

Once again WoW,Aoc,War have limits to amount people you can have on the screen at the same time.I am pretty sure WoW can't handle 200 vs 200 combat with out people computers begging for mercy,I know for sure that Aoc can't handle 48 vs 48 combat. WoW and AoC are not MMORPG?How many people fighting on screen has nothing to do if a game is MMOFPS..

Does being able handle 200 vs 200 combat help MMOFPS? Yes.

I guess people should keep out for MAG which seems to be something between Online shooter and MMOFPS