Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMOs on my Mac - Windows XP vs. Windows 7

2»

Comments

• LctwoLctwo Member Posts: 55
    Originally posted by dalevi1

Originally posted by Lctwo

Wow this afternoon has been frustrating.  So after driving to the apple store and the bestbuy store, I decided to download the Windows 7 trial before investing $200 in the OS.  
    So after signing up here -> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/cc442495.aspx , i found out that I would first need to download and install Firefox in order to download the Windows 7 90-day free trial.  I did that, opened firefox and proceeded to sign in with the passpost.com email address the above link provided me, only to find out that the download was available only to those who are currently running a Windows (Vista, XP) platform.
    Does anyone have any suggestions?  At this point I am thinking I will just ask everyone in my family to give me BestBuy gift certificates for Xmas so that I can use them to defray the cost of purchasing Windows 7.  Ugh!
    Best,
    Lctwo

Lctwo. Do you have a CD of windows xp laying around? If so, and you have the license key usually stickered to the machine it came from, then you have a valid license for a bootcamp installation of windows on your mac.

My question, why would you buy a Mac if you are game oriented. Security? Running a windows VM does make the virtual OS more sucure, sorta...and running a native windows OS on a mac makes you as secure as every other PC gamer.

If you love to boot and reboot, enjoy your new toy. I just don't get the logic behind the purchase.

Dalevi1,

The reason I have a mac is because when my wife and I were deciding whether to go PC or Mac in August of 2008, we opted to go Mac.  At that time, the only MMO i was playing was WoW, and I did not really give thought to the idea of playing any other MMOs, and for that matter, whether Mac actually supported the majority of available MMOs.  We liked the idea of the security that Mac provides and the lack of bugginess (for lack of a better term).

Now that I am "hooked" to the MMO genre lol, I see the error of my ways.  Too bad I can't use the Mac Time Machine feature to return to the moment right before I purchased my desktop mac.  That being said, we have both enjoyed it immensely.

Again, I really appreciate your insight.

Lctwo

• dalevi1dalevi1 Member Posts: 829
    Originally posted by chrisleko

105 is a great deal more than 39 for an upgrade of Leopard to Snow Leopard, or 30 for Cedega (crossover games). 

Cedega is not Crossover. They are separate companies. Their only connection being they are both based on WINE. The $105 in using the Apple bootloader pretty much means you will be able to run all games the video card on the mac will allow. They are not bad cards, just note, you are running them in windows, *not* OSX. And who cares, If you are more comfortable in a win environment, play away. I agree with the above, "bootcamp" is a market term, but easier to explain to some mac users than the term "dual boot". Dual boot, in my opinion is the most inconvenient way to use a single system.

Played (more than a month): SWG, Second Life, Tabula Rasa, Lineage 2, Everquest 2, EvE, MxO, Ryzom.

Tried: WoW, Shadowbane, Anarchy Online, Everquest, WWII Online, Planetside

Beta: Lotro, Tabula Rasa, WAR.

Originally posted by luckypotato

Fellas,
    I really appreciate all of the responses you guys provided re: my search for a new MMO.  Now I have a software/platform issue.
    I am going to purchase VMWare Fusion 3 to run windows on my mac.  My question for you guys is, should I purchase Windows XP (which I have used for years and with which I am familiar), or should I go ahead and give Windows 7 a try?
    I guess I would like to get some feedback as to whether Windows 7 causes any problems with gameplay, etc.  I am planning on creating trial accounts for LotRO, Aion, AoC, and EVE...so any feedback concerning your experiences with those games on windows XP or Windows 7 would be appreciate.  As always, thank you in advance for any suggestions/advice/experiences you have to offer.

Best,
    Lctwo 

First off, why would you purchase vmware? That is just stupid. You have virtualbox for a free download, and for client OS implementation is just fine. Also, if you are gong to "buy" xp or 7, why the hell would you run it in a virtual machine to play games in the first place. You would be better off simply duel-booting the mac into a windows OS to play games.

Note, you are not stupid. You at least know how to run a VM, but your plan? It's just not a good one.

Correct, Dalevi1.  In a subsequent post I stated that I am just going to purchase Windows 7 and use it through Mac's bootcamp.  I definitely understand that my initial plan was dumb!

Looks like I am going to have to wait for Xmas holidays though, as I really cannot afford to drop $200 on Windows 7 right now.  Hopefully I can amass enough gift certificates to purchase it for free!

Best,

Lctwo

Ignoring my "why did you buy a mac" statement. All of the games you want to play are XP compatible. If you have a previous license, use it for bootcamp! There are ays to get 7 much cheaper than retail. Check your local college, etc.

Again, XP is fine for the games you want to try. No use dropping $200 for what most people legally get for free =).

Just sayin.

Again, Ignorant MAC users..

Windows 7 Home Pre. - $105

Remote desktop, and a full image backup are not featured in windows 7 home premium. These two things are important to me, perhaps not you.  I was telling him his games are compatible with XP. Who is ignorant?

You :] $140 not 200.

Hey you should be thankin, not hatin'  im saving the guy money.

Ignorant simply means you dont know, its not an insult.

Windows 7 Pro - $140

Which is why I suggested the collegiate route, which is $30 at Ohio State for pro, maybe you missed that statement above? I think I also mentioned how to use a old XP key in order to play the games he is interested in for the price of the game, without paying for the OS.

I am not hating, just informing. You were trying to do the same perhaps, but you failed to look at his game list I guess. They would all run on a prior XP key for no OS taxes.

I am not ignorant, you are just ignoring the larger picture.

Played (more than a month): SWG, Second Life, Tabula Rasa, Lineage 2, Everquest 2, EvE, MxO, Ryzom.

Wow this afternoon has been frustrating.  So after driving to the apple store and the bestbuy store, I decided to download the Windows 7 trial before investing $200 in the OS.  
    So after signing up here -> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/cc442495.aspx , i found out that I would first need to download and install Firefox in order to download the Windows 7 90-day free trial.  I did that, opened firefox and proceeded to sign in with the passpost.com email address the above link provided me, only to find out that the download was available only to those who are currently running a Windows (Vista, XP) platform.
    Does anyone have any suggestions?  At this point I am thinking I will just ask everyone in my family to give me BestBuy gift certificates for Xmas so that I can use them to defray the cost of purchasing Windows 7.  Ugh!
    Best,
    Lctwo

Lctwo. Do you have a CD of windows xp laying around? If so, and you have the license key usually stickered to the machine it came from, then you have a valid license for a bootcamp installation of windows on your mac.

My question, why would you buy a Mac if you are game oriented. Security? Running a windows VM does make the virtual OS more sucure, sorta...and running a native windows OS on a mac makes you as secure as every other PC gamer.

If you love to boot and reboot, enjoy your new toy. I just don't get the logic behind the purchase.

Dalevi1,

The reason I have a mac is because when my wife and I were deciding whether to go PC or Mac in August of 2008, we opted to go Mac.  At that time, the only MMO i was playing was WoW, and I did not really give thought to the idea of playing any other MMOs, and for that matter, whether Mac actually supported the majority of available MMOs.  We liked the idea of the security that Mac provides and the lack of bugginess (for lack of a better term).

Now that I am "hooked" to the MMO genre lol, I see the error of my ways.  Too bad I can't use the Mac Time Machine feature to return to the moment right before I purchased my desktop mac.  That being said, we have both enjoyed it immensely.

Lctwo

Okay, minus the the history. What are the specs of the mac? 2008 was a particularly bad year from top to bottom in their catalog. Everything to high end ati/nvidia, to low end intel x3100 (yeah, they got completely ripped off).

• luckypotatoluckypotato Member Posts: 251

Fellas,
    I really appreciate all of the responses you guys provided re: my search for a new MMO.  Now I have a software/platform issue.
    I am going to purchase VMWare Fusion 3 to run windows on my mac.  My question for you guys is, should I purchase Windows XP (which I have used for years and with which I am familiar), or should I go ahead and give Windows 7 a try?
    I guess I would like to get some feedback as to whether Windows 7 causes any problems with gameplay, etc.  I am planning on creating trial accounts for LotRO, Aion, AoC, and EVE...so any feedback concerning your experiences with those games on windows XP or Windows 7 would be appreciate.  As always, thank you in advance for any suggestions/advice/experiences you have to offer.

Best,
    Lctwo 

First off, why would you purchase vmware? That is just stupid. You have virtualbox for a free download, and for client OS implementation is just fine. Also, if you are gong to "buy" xp or 7, why the hell would you run it in a virtual machine to play games in the first place. You would be better off simply duel-booting the mac into a windows OS to play games.

Note, you are not stupid. You at least know how to run a VM, but your plan? It's just not a good one.

Correct, Dalevi1.  In a subsequent post I stated that I am just going to purchase Windows 7 and use it through Mac's bootcamp.  I definitely understand that my initial plan was dumb!

Looks like I am going to have to wait for Xmas holidays though, as I really cannot afford to drop $200 on Windows 7 right now.  Hopefully I can amass enough gift certificates to purchase it for free!

Best,

Lctwo

Ignoring my "why did you buy a mac" statement. All of the games you want to play are XP compatible. If you have a previous license, use it for bootcamp! There are ays to get 7 much cheaper than retail. Check your local college, etc.

Again, XP is fine for the games you want to try. No use dropping $200 for what most people legally get for free =).

Just sayin.

Remote desktop, and a full image backup are not featured in windows 7 home premium. These two things are important to me, perhaps not you.  I was telling him his games are compatible with XP. Who is ignorant?

Windows 7 Pro - $140

Which is why I suggested the collegiate route, which is $30 at Ohio State for pro, maybe you missed that statement above? I think I also mentioned how to use a old XP key in order to play the games he is interested in for the price of the game, without paying for the OS.

I am not hating, just informing. You were trying to do the same perhaps, but you failed to look at his game list I guess. They would all run on a prior XP key for no OS taxes.

Ah, my apologies, i did not know about this "XP key trick"/

Anyway, if cost isnt an issue, and you prefer nicer graphics for a little money (assuming your mac has a DX10 graphics card) i would opt for Windows7.

XP only uses DX9 sadly. Where as W7 uses DX10/11

In plain english, you will be playing the same game, only with better graphics (assuming the game has DX10 support)

AoC and Lotro have DX10 support currently. Not to mention that Lotro and DDO will be adding DX11 support sometime in 2010.

Best,
    Lctwo

Dalevi1,

Lctwo

Okay, minus the the history. What are the specs of the mac? 2008 was a particularly bad year from top to bottom in their catalog. Everything to high end ati/nvidia, to low end intel x3100 (yeah, they got completely ripped off).

lol dalevi1, when you said "yeah, they got completely ripped off" were you referring to me and my wife.  Man, I hope we did not take it on the chin that bad just for buying a desktop mac.

Anyways, here are the specs:

Processor:  3.06 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory:  4 GB 800 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM

Graphics/Display:  NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS, VRam (Total) 512 MB

Sound:  Intel High-Definition Audio

Please let me know if I should make any upgrades or provide you guys with any other relevant specs.  Thank you so much.

Best,

Lctwo

• PunisherXPunisherX Member Posts: 231

I have Windows 7 and it is truly simpler than both XP and Vista, while also much better in general. Go with Windows 7.

Fellas,

Best,
    Lctwo 

Best,

Lctwo

Just sayin.

Windows 7 Pro - $140

Ah, my apologies, i did not know about this "XP key trick"/

Anyway, if cost isnt an issue, and you prefer nicer graphics for a little money (assuming your mac has a DX10 graphics card) i would opt for Windows7.

XP only uses DX9 sadly. Where as W7 uses DX10/11

In plain english, you will be playing the same game, only with better graphics (assuming the game has DX10 support)

AoC and Lotro have DX10 support currently. Not to mention that Lotro and DDO will be adding DX11 support sometime in 2010.

No apologies. The XP key is not a trick, it is actually a result of people buying a valid license for their systems over the last ten years. As for assuming better graphics with dx10-11, I find this article to be both humorous and informative:

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2009/7/21/why-directx-11-will-save-the-video-card-industry-again-and-why-you-dont-care.aspx#

As for Lorto and DDO adding DX11 support, I really don't know what "support" means in this context, because in DX10, they are already "supported". Inherently.

According to this link ->  http://www.xfxforce.com/en-us/products/graphiccards/8series/8800gs.aspx

my NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS card should be DirectX10 compatible.  Can one of you guys confirm this?

Thanks again.

Best,
    Lctwo

Dalevi1,

Lctwo

lol dalevi1, when you said "yeah, they got completely ripped off" were you referring to me and my wife.  Man, I hope we did not take it on the chin that bad just for buying a desktop mac.

Anyways, here are the specs:

Processor:  3.06 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory:  4 GB 800 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM

Graphics/Display:  NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS, VRam (Total) 512 MB

Sound:  Intel High-Definition Audio

Please let me know if I should make any upgrades or provide you guys with any other relevant specs.  Thank you so much.

Best,

Lctwo

No. You did not get ripped off, my counter for that was only laptop holders running the intel x3100 integrated card. Your processor is above industry standard.  You have enough RAM, perhaps behind the latest, but good enough. You have the current "industry recommended" RAM. The G card is a little dated, but to this date, a 8800GS is still a very good card vs most games, it actually clocks very well. In a windows environment, you should be able to run most anything at acceptable rates.

This is a good system with above acceptable expectations.

Note.IO am judging this from a x64 MS environment. My guess is that OSX, LX, FreeB would e much more forgiving.

Originally posted by Punis

I have Windows 7 and it is truly simpler than both XP and Vista, while also much better in general. Go with Windows 7.

That was the saddest reply I have ever seen. Well done. If I only knew how to make a trophy?

Dalevi1 (or others with an opinion),

If I were to upgrade my graphics card, which card would you recommend?

Best,

Lctwo

• luckypotatoluckypotato Member Posts: 251

Dalevi1 (or others with an opinion),
    If I were to upgrade my graphics card, which card would you recommend?
    Best,
    Lctwo

Hard to say, i dont know much about MAC's, but i presume they need special editions (so to speak) of graphics cards to work?

If they didnt, i personally would recommend you the HD 5750 as it supports DX11. No NVIDIA graphics card to date supports DX11.(but i presume MACS Do need special editions, so the graphics card above might not work. sorry i really dont know lol) 

Fellas,

Best,
    Lctwo 

Best,

Lctwo

Just sayin.

LuckyPotato,

Thanks again for the link to the discounted x64 version of Windows 7.  Before I purchase it, could you please explain the below disclaimer that newegg.com provides for the product (Newegg did not provide this disclaimer for the $183.99 retail version of Windows 7 Home Premium):

"Disclaimer: Use of this OEM System Builder Channel software is subject to the terms of the Microsoft OEM System Builder License. This software is intended for pre-installation on a new personal computer for resale. This OEM System Builder Channel software requires the assembler to provide end user support for the Windows."

Any explanation would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

Lctwo

Since LuckyPotato and Dalevi1 (and others) have not been around to address my previous question, I decided to link a good explanation of the pitfalls/advantages of OEM vs. retail for Windows products.  I hope it will help any Mac owners that are also MMO gamers who would like to install Windows operating systems via bootcamp.

http://arstechnica.com/hardware/news/2007/01/8730.ars