Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR same old MMO?

I've been a fan of Star Wars for many years now and when I heard about this game I was very interested, but is it just me or does this game look like it will play like every other current MMO out there? The only new thing is the total voice acting, which IMO so far has seemed pretty lackluster from what I've seen in the previews. I mean if you're a huge Star Wars fanatic and are planning to roleplay all the time the voice acting might be cool, but it seems to me (except for a pretty limited crowd) everyone will actually be skipping them to get to the combat.

And the combat looked exactly like any other MMO, the only thing that seemed fun was the bright bolts of blaster fire or the twang of the lightsaber. Just seems to me to be pretty one-dimensional. Get on for a few hours, kill a few things in the Star Wars style and then you're bored. Replay value = zero?

I keep hearing stuff like you'll want to play at least once as each class because they all have different storylines, but IMO that's false. If I start a character I'm going to pick my favorite class to play, and when I get bored with him I will say to myself, "Well this is my favorite class, and it sucks. No way any of the other classes are any better." So I might try one of the others, but I'm betting all the stories, while not the same, will all be similar hero/villain stuff where you know what's going to happen 10 steps before it does.

So yeah, what is your opinion? Will the new things like story driven characters and voice acting be enough to get people to play SWTOR? Or is it just the same old MMO with a new Star Wars paint job?

PS: I am a big potential fan (Hope it is good.) of the upcoming MMO Star Trek Online, so feel free to think me bias. I, unlike many other people, have always been a pretty big fan of both Star Wars and Star Trek, and see no reason not to like them both. I probably would play this game instead of STO if this offered space combat as well and STO did not.

Comments

• hayes303hayes303 Member UncommonPosts: 430

This thread do be exciting and new. What would be sweet would be for the game to actually be allowed to start beta before everyone piles on the doomsaying. Might play like everything else out there or it might not. Hard to tell from the 1 hr or so of game footage avail pre-beta.

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133
    Originally posted by hayes303

This thread do be exciting and new. What would be sweet would be for the game to actually be allowed to start beta before everyone piles on the doomsaying. Might play like everything else out there or it might not. Hard to tell from the 1 hr or so of game footage avail pre-beta.

Isn't that 1 hour of footage supposed to give potential customers a view of what gameplay is like? If not, why would they show it?

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547

To me, it looks like it's going to be a failure in the MMO department, but it looks like it's going to be a really fun to play Multiplayer Online RPG. Like, how WoW fails at the MMO but isn't a bad MO. It's heavily instanced and there is very little grouping outside of doing dungeons and raids. But, TOR looks like it's going to be more community based, but still isntanced.

But, the thing about it is that it's looking to have a fun combat system that reminds me of action games. Even if they don't, I think that they are going to have something special for us, because I mean it's Bioware, they are a pretty damn good company. They have probably more success in the single player market if you total all their games, than Blizzard had in the single player market before WoW.

It's sad to think that it's going to suck as an MMO, but that doesn't bother me too much. As long as it's fun to play and isn't an endless grind for no reason, then I'll be paying and playing.

But that said, if it turns out to be a SW clone of WoW.... there is no way I'll be playing. But, I do think they are going to give us something unique that we haven't really seen in the MMO world before.

• hayes303hayes303 Member UncommonPosts: 430
    Originally posted by Khalathwyr

Isn't that 1 hour of footage supposed to give potential customers a view of what gameplay is like? If not, why would they show it?

Yes it is. It shows us whatever small bit of the game that the devs choose to show us of features they think may be exciting or what they have finished (ie-combat, the nub zone). I don't believe it encapsulates the whole game in the alpha footage they have slowly dribbled out. The game may very well stink, but its wearying how people assume that its going to be a wow clone and a carebear handheld trip through the magical "been-there-done-that" forest before the beta even starts. And this thread has truely been done to death. They pop up here and at the official site every few hours and the same debate will rage forward. "its going to suck, its no sandbox", "sandboxes suck, bioware rules", "SWG was the greatest game ever", "SWG was a piece of crap", "SW:TOR could be great if only they did exactly what I tell them to do"........

• x3r0hx3r0h Member Posts: 186

I might be going off on a limb in saying this but....

Bioware Developers poop does indeed smell like roses from my angle.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
    "Your pride, good sir, far exceeds your worth." -x3r0h

Oldest mmorpg.com member with the least amount of post counts. That counts for something, right?

• greed0104greed0104 Member Posts: 2,134
    Originally posted by Nirwyl                                                                                                                                                                              

So I might try one of the others, but I'm betting all the stories, while not the same, will all be similar hero/villain stuff where you know what's going to happen 10 steps before it does.                                                                                                      

Will the new things like story driven characters and voice acting be enough to get people to play SWTOR?
    No
    Or is it just the same old MMO with a new Star Wars paint job?
    No

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

I've been a fan of Star Wars for many years now and when I heard about this game I was very interested, but is it just me or does this game look like it will play like every other current MMO out there? The only new thing is the total voice acting, which IMO so far has seemed pretty lackluster from what I've seen in the previews. I mean if you're a huge Star Wars fanatic and are planning to roleplay all the time the voice acting might be cool, but it seems to me (except for a pretty limited crowd) everyone will actually be skipping them to get to the combat.
    And the combat looked exactly like any other MMO, the only thing that seemed fun was the bright bolts of blaster fire or the twang of the lightsaber. Just seems to me to be pretty one-dimensional. Get on for a few hours, kill a few things in the Star Wars style and then you're bored. Replay value = zero?
    I keep hearing stuff like you'll want to play at least once as each class because they all have different storylines, but IMO that's false. If I start a character I'm going to pick my favorite class to play, and when I get bored with him I will say to myself, "Well this is my favorite class, and it sucks. No way any of the other classes are any better." So I might try one of the others, but I'm betting all the stories, while not the same, will all be similar hero/villain stuff where you know what's going to happen 10 steps before it does.
    So yeah, what is your opinion? Will the new things like story driven characters and voice acting be enough to get people to play SWTOR? Or is it just the same old MMO with a new Star Wars paint job?

PS: I am a big potential fan (Hope it is good.) of the upcoming MMO Star Trek Online, so feel free to think me bias. I, unlike many other people, have always been a pretty big fan of both Star Wars and Star Trek, and see no reason not to like them both. I probably would play this game instead of STO if this offered space combat as well and STO did not.

Yet more drama drama drama freaking out over nothing and doomsaying.

How about we actually have a thread that isn't bashing the games based only on rumor and clips? I know its hard, but try.

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

I really wish they would. Sick to death of it. I've never seen so much childish doomsaying as I have with this game.

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

People reply as if they have already played the game, we have no idea what it is really like so just wait.

• NirwylNirwyl Member Posts: 103

I think it's funny how I come and try to post an intelligent thread, intending to start a conversation about the game, and almost everyone accuses me of whining and doomsaying. Everything I said in my first post was just my opinion folks, and I'm sure at this early date it's very likely to change, because the game can change a lot before it's done. Given my opinions are based on a very limited amount of content it's very possible that what I am saying is totally wrong, but as there is only limited content out right now, it's kind of hard to talk about what I haven't seen.

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

I think it's funny how I come and try to post an intelligent thread, intending to start a conversation about the game, and almost everyone accuses me of whining and doomsaying. Everything I said in my first post was just my opinion folks, and I'm sure at this early date it's very likely to change, because the game can change a lot before it's done. Given my opinions are based on a very limited amount of content it's very possible that what I am saying is totally wrong, but as there is only limited content out right now, it's kind of hard to talk about what I haven't seen.

It really doesn't seem like an intelligent thread since you start bashing the game as soon as you start with your opinion.  It's so good that people can form opinions on such limited knowledge.  Sure, you can have a hope of what the game will be in your opinion, but not a "This is how the game is going to be for sure because I know" Opinion.

I hope the game will be great.  From what I've seen it could be good or bad.  I want it to be good, but I will reserve a real decision until I see a lot more or until I've played it.

You ended with saying you are a bit biased, which seemed very true, at least you was honest. I don't see STO going very far, it's not the IP but the company behind it. But this is irrelevant.

I think you overlooked a lot of the cool stuff ToR will have. I'm mostly excited about the companion system, yeah guild wars had it, but they were nothing more then disposable pawns. ToR seems like it's going to be huge, many planets means lots of possible companions. The companions practically have a mind of their own, they may not agree with your actions. So even when I'm not grouped with the guild I'll at least get some interesting reactions out of my personal NPC.

You not seeing replay value is your own problem, I also don't believe what you said to be true. I'm not calling you a liar, I'm saying I think you will want to play an alt sometime. Each class has unique companions characters, unique paths, stories, probably more. But if you do choose to only play one class I would say it's your choice and does not necessarily mean it's a problem with the game. I believe many people will want to experience more then one class if not all of them. Altoholic means something, believe me.

What people either forget or don't know is there was an interview with SWTOR stations a few months ago. They were asked about the possibility of a healing class, they said there has not been any announced so far (this is before the new revealed classes obviously), he then went on to say they're not limited to it because of the way the game is built. So the Consular healing path is there for those that prefer to heal. This could mean a new group system may be coming for us to experience.

Sit back relax, wait for new information to pop up, dig for some things you may have missed. You may be surprised.

• DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678

The game is far from release and not a lot of detail has been given about how combat and other things work yet.  They don't want a Holy Trinity system, they do want to give people RP choices that matter during quests.  Both of those make it pretty different from pretty much all other MMOs that are out there.  We'll have to wait and see how well they implement all that, but the premises are good and the company is good, so I have my hopes up. 

• efefiaefefia Member Posts: 631
    Originally posted by Drachasor

They don't want a Holy Trinity system,

You remember them saying that as well?

I was beginning to think I was the only one that remembered..... In light of that, I'm finding it pretty sickening now the last remaining classes have been revealed that they're all of a sudden doing an about turn and talking lots about "tank, heal... dps"

...The spread of secondary and latterly of tertiary education has created a large population of people, often with well developed literary and scholarly tastes, who have been educated far beyond their capacity to undertake analytical thought.

Originally posted by efefia

I was beginning to think I was the only one that remembered..... In light of that, I'm finding it pretty sickening now the last remaining classes have been revealed that they're all of a sudden doing an about turn and talking lots about "tank, heal... dps"

Does not mean group play will be limited to anything. I don't get the problem with holy trinity anyways. I can only imagine a bunch of DPS zerg rushing everything.

Originally posted by greed0104

Does not mean group play will be limited to anything. I don't get the problem with holy trinity anyways. I can only imagine a bunch of DPS zerg rushing everything.

It means group play will be limited to "tank, heal... dps"... aka... the trinity.

...The spread of secondary and latterly of tertiary education has created a large population of people, often with well developed literary and scholarly tastes, who have been educated far beyond their capacity to undertake analytical thought.

It means group play will be limited to "tank, heal... dps"... aka... the trinity.

No

Last I checked they haven't revealed ANY class as having a DPS or TANK role.  They have added one choice for one class that can heal.  Notice that the Sith apparently have no healers.  So far it is looking pretty good for a new combat mechanic for MMOs.  I admit the healer thing worries me a bit for balance reasons, but since HT requires a LOT of work to setup (you need to adjust the stats of non-tanks so they can't take hits well -- optionally adjust the mobs, and adjust tanks so they can't damage well, have taunts, and soak a bunch of damage), and there's no sign they are doing that.  People WILL cry faul if Jedi suddenly can't deal much damage with their lightsabers, afterall.  Should be ok.

• BigdavoBigdavo Member UncommonPosts: 1,863

You better hope this game is damn good, because if it isn't you can kiss the MMO genre goodbye for a long time. This game is THE next big MMO, there is nothing on the horizon except for a bunch of fizzers or niche games at best. I mean lets be honest, most MMOs are completely shit no matter what nonsense they promise, at least you know this game is being produced by a company with some serious rep. If Bioware fucks up what hope is there for the rest.

I have absolutely no idea what Bioware will have in store for us when this game releases, all I do know is that if this game fails I'll forget this genre for many years...

O_o o_O

Originally posted by Bigdavo

You better hope this game is damn good, because if it isn't you can kiss the MMO genre goodbye for a long time. This game is THE next big MMO, there is nothing on the horizon except for a bunch of fizzers or niche games at best. I mean lets be honest, most MMOs are completely shit no matter what nonsense they promise, at least you know this game is being produced by a company with some serious rep. If Bioware fucks up what hope is there for the rest.
    I have absolutely no idea what Bioware will have in store for us when this game releases, all I do know is that if this game fails I'll forget this genre for many years...

FFXIV looks pretty promising too.  I agree though, there's not a lot of games that are definitely coming out that look promising (there are, of course, several MMOs that may or may not ever come out that look neat, but that's not something you can count on).

A couple months ago I was looking at DC Universe, FFXIV, SW: TOR, and STO.  Now STO is definitely not look so hot, and I'm pretty uncertain about DCU.  Most MMOs that seem to come out seem to have a philosophy of "let's make them just like a previous WoW-like MMO with a couple relatively small differences!" and that doesn't interest me at all.  FFXIV and TOR look like they'll have a lot of substantial differences from older/other MMOs and its about time honestly.

• AthcearAthcear Member Posts: 420

MMOs are becoming more and more like single player games because it isn't just MMO players playing them anymore.  The trigger happy Halo players outnumber the ponderous roleplayers by a very large margin.  Welcome to mainstream culture.  MMORPGs aren't being made for the RPG crowd anymore.  This is what happens when your pet genre becomes the "next big thing".

Important facts:
    1. Free to Play games are poorly made.
    2. Casuals are not all idiots, but idiots call themselves casuals.
    3. Great solo and group content are not mutually exclusive, but they suffer when one is shoved into the mold of the other. The same is true of PvP and PvE.
    4. Community is more important than you think.

Last I checked they haven't revealed ANY class as having a DPS or TANK role.  

Next....

Next....

I'm pretty sure both of those are correct (by the way have the other one for the empire? I can't find my link). But I won't hold it to 100% truth until BioWare confirms it.

The empire does not have a healer or tank listed. This should make endgame for the Empire a bit more interesting.

Next....

I'm pretty sure both of those are correct (by the way have the other one for the empire? I can't find my link). But I won't hold it to 100% truth until BioWare confirms it.

The empire does not have a healer or tank listed. This should make endgame for the Empire a bit more interesting.

I can't find it anywhere, not sure it's actually been posted which is annoying as it must be on the flipside of that same page lol

Next....

I can't find it anywhere, not sure it's actually been posted which is annoying as it must be on the flipside of that same page lol

It's been posted on the SWTOR forums. I'll go see if I can find it. Because if these are 100% spot on, I think it could mean a number of things. Two of which I think are important

1) Empire is not a Holy Trinity faction. Republic is a Holy Trinity faction.

2) Maybe Empire and republic can group (Highly doubt this, but 1 seems a bit far-fetched)

It could also mean nothing at all, could be about nothing more then supporting some peoples favored playstyles.