Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I buy this?

2»

Comments

• googajoob7googajoob7 Member Posts: 866
    Originally posted by erictlewis

WEll if you like EQ2 then your gong to be disapointed with this game.  There is nowhere near the trophies, housing, in game events that eq2 has.
    Not only that but it only takes about 1 month now to get you and several atls to the level cap and were having an xpac being released. 
    The lower levels have been given the easy button to rush them to the level cap.
    It has all become about the insane graind to get to the end game, with very few real raids. So if raiding is your think your going to be disapointed as well as the raids on lotr dont even compare to eq2.
    did I mention the easy button.

i cant really compare lord of the rings to everquest 2 ( which is a game that i intend to play at some point . but its quite simple if you dont want to rush to level cap dont hit the easy button lol ( you ll find theres a lot of players that dont want to hit it and enjoy the journey of leveling ) . what i would say to the op is you can buy the game very very cheaply online play it for a bit and see if you enjoy it and i think you proberbly will when you get to level 65 and experiance enough of the end game that you get bored simply do what i do with mmos switch to another one and play that untill you get bored with that one and so on . its ridiculous people thinking they have to stick to one game when theres a variety out there and each of them have something to offer . which is why i m going to give everquest 2 a try when i m done with lotro or maybe aion . on the normal mode leveling in lotro takes about 3-4 months for the average player ( assuming they play around 3-5 hours a day )

• GolarumGolarum Member Posts: 151
    Originally posted by Cerion

Originally posted by Golarum

Hey Nebu,
    I will give you my honest opinion about LOTRO, I hope it will help you make a decision.

Well, since Golarum is giving his honest opinion, it's up to me to give a dishonest one...lol.  Sorry, couldn't resist. I just find it funny when people say they're going to give you their 'honest opinion' as if the rest of us aren't.

Anyway, LoTRO is pretty fun and for the most part-casual friendly. Turbine is constantly tweaking areas in addition to adding new content. The community is great.  Graphics are superb.  And it's a fair (though not perfect) rendition of Middle Earth.

My only complaint is that I'd like to see far more area released than they currently have.  If all we have are Southern Mirkwood -sized areas released once a year, we're not going to acheive the expansiveness that I had hoped for at launch. But we'll see.

What I mean by honest opinion is that it is not an opinion of a hater or a fanboy. It is an opinion of someone who played the game for a while, who does not love the game or hate it and who gave it several tries. That is what I meant by honest opinion. Because often, fanboys and haters come here and say the game is either amazing or it sucks without really elaborating.

• GolarumGolarum Member Posts: 151
    Originally posted by darkboaz

Galarum is fairly spot on to a point but also a little misleading in the assessment of the game. To say you got threw almost every thing in 2 weeks of causal play. Ok ill grant that in 2 week you could have gotten threw almost all of the casual play content. Even back then to say in two months you had maxed every thing on multiple toons is likely really not completely honest. There are traits and deeds that where in place as time sinks. I suspect you as a casual player did not really grind them out. So its not that you’re wrong it is just a little misleading.

Since Moria there are weapons in 3 tiers that have to be leveled and because you have little to no control over the abilities they get, it can take weeks or months just to get one you like. Third age drops a lot, second age a lot less but now are craftable and first ages ones only from raid boss mobs. To top it off you do not just have to grind out the weapons and a class item but you need to grind out the settings, gems and ruins placed into them. Again not something that’s going to be done in just a few weeks nor are you going to be a top tier crafter with top faction in the crafting guilds in just a few weeks of play time.

Darkboaz, as I said, at launch I played like crazy. I did achieve everything there was to do, to a point that before I quit, me and my guildies had absolutely nothing to do other than grinding ranks in PvMP.

In Moria, I did not try to get the first age weapon and did not try to max level my weapon, because that is just a grind, so I don't consider grinding to be content. What I meant was that I did everything there is to do at least once in Moria  within 2 weeks of casual play.

LOTRO is not a bad game, even far from it, last month when I resubbed, I would not have cancelled my account for the third time if there were more players playing the game. The game is a good casual game, but as I said, I like to play an mmorpg with a bigger community and more content.

Originally posted by Ryukan

Originally posted by Skooma2

Not long ago, as part of a contest as to which kin could level up new characters the fastest, I created a Captain. It took me 200 hours to go from level 1 - 60; and I had the benefit of having previously leveled 2 other characters to 60, so I knew how to go through the content most efficiently; and I did no crafting along the way. To have leveled 3 such characters would have taken 600 hours of gameplay, or about 10 hours a day for two months. Sorry, there is no way this could have been done.

Therefore, Golarum, get back under your bridge.

I agree I smell something foul on Golarum's part...finished everything on 3 toons within 2 months of launhc so you quit? You weren't playing casually that's for sure. Finished everything in the Moria expansion in 2 weeks playing casually..I absolutely doubt that without a hint of doubt about my doubt hehe. Your name is bears a slight resmeblemce to the name Gollum...I think it's trickses us precious. Back to your Golarum cave you...

Illanadan, although it pains me to admit it I have to agree that I do not like the direction the game is going with raid gear grinding. This actuallymade me quit for a couple months because I got burnt out on it all and I went and tried Aion...which made me realize how little of a grind the LotRO grind is compared to the Aion grind hehe. I guess if I have to grind raids and gear then I would rather do it in LotRO than any other game out right now.

Wow, if you want to criticize someone's post, at least take the time to read it. I did not say anywhere that I played the first 2 months casually, I even stated that I was taking days off of work to spend time on the game. I played it like crazy. When I played a 10 hour day, it was one of the days I was barely playing lol. For the 2 months I played LOTRO, I had no life. But I achieved everything on 3 toons.

If you say that it took you 200 hours to get from 1-60 with a captain after having gotten 2 other toons to 60, then you my friend were either wasting a lot of time, or you just did not understand the game. How do you think that after a week after launch you had players at level 50 and that was their first toon. I don't know how it is for solo players, but for me it was mainly grouping, going through all the books, instances and group quests. Also, at launch level cap was 50, not 60. And there were no weapons to level.

And now it's even easier to level, because they lowered the exp requirements. When I came back to Moria with my lvl 50 toon, I automatically leveled to 52 from the exp difference.

• RyukanRyukan Member UncommonPosts: 829

Golarum, I stand corrected, you did sort of indicate that you played it quite a bit at launch, I read the part where you said you played through Moria in 2 weeks playing casually and just blindly applied that to your playing from launch. I do disagree with your depiction of the game being short on content however, but I guess it is all in perspecitve relating to how much time the OP would spend playing the game. If the OP would be playing on a more normal schedule and not playing the game all the time, I doubt he /she would go through the content that fast.

• darkboazdarkboaz Member UncommonPosts: 160
    Originally posted by Golarum

Originally posted by darkboaz

Galarum is fairly spot on to a point but also a little misleading in the assessment of the game. To say you got threw almost every thing in 2 weeks of causal play. Ok ill grant that in 2 week you could have gotten threw almost all of the casual play content. Even back then to say in two months you had maxed every thing on multiple toons is likely really not completely honest. There are traits and deeds that where in place as time sinks. I suspect you as a casual player did not really grind them out. So its not that you’re wrong it is just a little misleading.

Since Moria there are weapons in 3 tiers that have to be leveled and because you have little to no control over the abilities they get, it can take weeks or months just to get one you like. Third age drops a lot, second age a lot less but now are craftable and first ages ones only from raid boss mobs. To top it off you do not just have to grind out the weapons and a class item but you need to grind out the settings, gems and ruins placed into them. Again not something that’s going to be done in just a few weeks nor are you going to be a top tier crafter with top faction in the crafting guilds in just a few weeks of play time.

Darkboaz, as I said, at launch I played like crazy. I did achieve everything there was to do, to a point that before I quit, me and my guildies had absolutely nothing to do other than grinding ranks in PvMP.

In Moria, I did not try to get the first age weapon and did not try to max level my weapon, because that is just a grind, so I don't consider grinding to be content. What I meant was that I did everything there is to do at least once in Moria  within 2 weeks of casual play.

Which is why I said I buy you would be able to get through all the casual play probably a better way of saying it would have been to say you where able to skim along the surface and get through most of the stories. If you are not going to do any grinding then you will not experience end content which leads me to the next part of how that does not equate to you got through all the content. I completely agree that grind is not content but some content in the game is gated by the grind. So I still say I like your assessment but it is a little disingenuous as you did not really get through it all in 2 weeks just got through what you where willing to do.

• grandpagamergrandpagamer Member Posts: 2,221

Anyone rushing to end game in this game is well, missing the game. This game is a game of exploration and journey and while I suppose everyone plays at different speeds and some can complete all the deeds etc. in record times,  I have read some things on this site that might be considered an exaggeration. 

• IrishoakIrishoak Member Posts: 633

Heya Gramps,

After a game has been out for a bit all of the new and improved content seems to be at the end, plus, I do not really feel that heroic at level 5. If you've been on the journey a few times, sometimes you just want to get to the destination. But I get what you're saying.

• grandpagamergrandpagamer Member Posts: 2,221
    Originally posted by Irishoak

Heya Gramps,
    After a game has been out for a bit all of the new and improved content seems to be at the end, plus, I do not really feel that heroic at level 5. If you've been on the journey a few times, sometimes you just want to get to the destination. But I get what you're saying.

I agree you can only level so many toons in any game. But the fellow saying he went ape and blasted through to level cap then after getting there didnt bother with the legendary weapons has me confused. Why rush to end game if your not going to play the endgame material?

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022
    Originally posted by grandpagamer

Anyone rushing to end game in this game is well, missing the game. This game is a game of exploration and journey and while I suppose everyone plays at different speeds and some can complete all the deeds etc. in record times,  I have read some things on this site that might be considered an exaggeration. 

Yes your correct getting there that fast you miss the content. However after having enough alts you usually skip that content that you dont need to level.

Part of the problem was the kin contest that Turbine came up with, how quick you could grow your kin, and how quick you could level.  Then they downgraded the amount of xp that you needed to reach max level.  I know some folks who went from level 52 to level 55 without doing anything.  I had  one of mine parked at level 50 and it hit level 53 without flinching an eye.   So with the new leveling contest and the reduced xp, Turbine actually gave the tools to the players to go out there and level up as quick as possible, and gave them a goal to do it, a new kin house and goodies to go with it and title.

Most folks I know did all the game had to do on their main, then they went to their alts.  I know several folks who have multiple alts, and mos of them skiped all the instances as you dont need them to level, and that is why Orion himself went on a one man campain to revamp the red maid content behind ost guronth as nobody was running it nobody.   I guess they figure with the two new character slots were getting folks are going to role more alts and play it,  I got a fealing most of his work is going to go unplayed, as most folks are going to go, I need to level to get to the end game.

Every try getting a group for helgdrod, cd, uru, saurnir, and yes red maid good luck.  The only foks running that stuff now is large kins trying to get parts for their alts and with skirmages and trade in for stuff most of that is going to become obsolete.

It will be interesting to see what happens when all this rolls out for som. 

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    Originally posted by illanadan

I enjoyed my time in the game but quit due to being forced to raid in the end game for radiance gear. Anytime I am forced to raid for gear it is not a good thing. Besides that I loved the pace of combat, people complain about it being slow but I felt it was perfect. Time to plan out your skills and which one to fire when. I loved playing my Minstrel, Burglar, and Captain more so than any other class. I just feel like LoTRO is beginning to go more and more in the direction of WoW (raid for gear... how stupid, speeding up combat, easier to find quests) and it feels like they have taken out the fun and adventure of actually needing to explore and experience the world of Middle-Earth. Besides that it has a great community and fairly fun crafting system. They were quite accurate in portraying the world as was in the books. Old man willow is there, Tom Bombadill is there, Bill the Pony is there, you can go up the peak where the party was forced to turn around and if like me you are more than welcome to jump off it (WOULD NOT suggest!). In many ways the game portrays the locations from the books MUCH better than the movies. As others have said the classes aren't quite in line the books but in an MMO you need some give and take. Besides that it is an entertaining game for a time, just don't expect more or less anything from the end game. I will be logging on again once the next Xpac is released but only long enough to explore it, maybe hit the new cap, and then off again until the next Book (mini Xpac's) is released to rinse and repeat. The only way to know if you will enjoy this game is to try it yourself. The PvE is great if you are into that but forget about anything even PvP related.
    All in all have fun playing the free trial and if you like it stick around, otherwise find another game :)
    - Baldaric(Capt), Illanowar(Hunter), Baldori(Burg), Illanadan(Mins) and  Erifyks(Guard) on Windfola all once within Cirlce of the Dawn Kinship

Combat does not necessarily need to be speeded up but they have to do something with it , it appears to be a little off I just dont feel quite engaged with my enemy