Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How WoW can make this game 50% better !

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

It needs better VOICE CHAT. Outside world grouping will go way up, and make the game wayyy more  enjoyable.

As it stands now, people rarely group, husband and wife team here, two real life friends their, almost never two guild members together no matter how much you would say you disagree.  It just does not happen often. Some times when I'm struggling I'll ask someone in that zone, or they would ask me ONLY to disband shortly after because of the hassle of going over each others quest log......... Dungeons and raids yes, but I'm talking about open world. 

All typed chat systems are a model of the same for all mmo's, WoW's chat system is about the best you can have. I don't think you could even make it better.

IMPORTANT:

MMO quest are standard for all games, They are riddles, and locations are made to use land marks to find them. You also have to type things like " did you kill all 10 trolls ? ", or "did you get all 5 banners?" or " did you do parts 2 and 3 of the quest yet ?" This can be very aggravating to type. People are afraid to add ppl. to their group because they may not know the game well or can't type.

What needs to be done:

VOICE CHAT, not the crappy WoW voice chat.  But free clear voice chat when you enter a group or guild .  YES you can download Ventrilo, but someone has to pay for Ventral out of their own pocket coupled with the fact that at random people can't use it because you have to change the IP address. You can't pass the IP address around to everyone anyway because the payer only gets so many slots, you cant give it to every stranger you meet !

I'm guessing WoW does not fix their voice chat because they don't like people using it:

1)   They don't like to pay for more bandwith.... Peoples computers can easily handle it because I used to play Dungeons and Dragons Online on my old crappy computer, and had no problems at all with voice or lag. Everyone used it ( pre-free to play ), and groups were well oiled working together.  Now that I think of it, that is only reason why DDO was my second best game.

2)  It would expose the 10 year olds.

People are screaming for good ideas........ Well here it is !

Comments

• ThenariusThenarius Member Posts: 1,106

Knowing *other* places where voice chat is very efficient like Valve's games/LIVE/whatever I assure you that those 10 years olds will not be shy if Blizzard fixes their voice chat.

But I agree, it's basically pointless and they should do something about it. Either just remove it or make it a proper voice chat.

• coffeecoffee Member Posts: 2,007

If blizzard added the ability to change your voice when using the built in chat so you sound like a gnome (high voice) or a ork (deep voice) etc then I think more will use it.

• tro44_1tro44_1 Member Posts: 1,819

Wait wait, I dont get it. Whats wrong with the Voice chat. Worked for me. I notice most people fuss about this, but usauly because they say that most people have vents already, so it was pointless. But that isnt true.  If thats the only reason to hate on the voice chat, then I find that stupid. But if thats not the only case, pleas explain what the big complat is

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Originally posted by tro44_1

Wait wait, I dont get it. Whats wrong with the Voice chat. Worked for me. I notice most people fuss about this, but usauly because they say that most people have vents already, so it was pointless. But that isnt true.  If thats the only reason to hate on the voice chat, then I find that stupid. But if thats not the only case, pleas explain what the big complat is

Well tro44_1, First of all the voice chat does not work well at all for 99.999% of the population, also maybe you should re read the OP over but slowly........ My guess is that your the type that does not read anything, but your quick to comment.

• eyceleycel Member Posts: 1,334

I to am a integrated voice chat enthusiast.  The last time I played wow, was questing in the burning crusade.  I had read that it was being integrated into the game, as i had fought for long time , since wows launch to get it integrated...I have Wotlk but havent used it yet.  You say the voice system dosnt work for people, how could blizzard not implement a great voice system...its blizard after all...whats wrong with it?

• googajoob7googajoob7 Member Posts: 866

would nt open voice chat be horrible ? i mean theres so many people with terrible attitudes in wow . at least with vent it tends to be friendly because its normally limited to your guild .

Originally posted by googajoob7

would nt open voice chat be horrible ? i mean theres so many people with terrible attitudes in wow . at least with vent it tends to be friendly because its normally limited to your guild .

Not really horrible googajoob7,

It's NOT like I'm talking about Stormwind open chat, but more like small group voice chat.

Voice chat :

Your questing in Arathi Highlands, you wonder into Stormgarde Keep by yourself and see a like minded player doing the same group of quest, you ask a few questions feel him out then add him to group.  Instant clear voice chat, EASILY complete all group quest in the area.......Bamm....... instant friend.........You talk a little find that he also took all the quest in the zone, and you find that your playing all day together.

Typing chat :

Your questing in Arathi highlands, you wonder into Stormgarde Keep by yourself and see a like minded player doing the same group of quest, You don't even ask a question because you know your only gonna group for about 2 min. you kill the mob, you type "Thanks" he types "NP' you disband, and find yourself back at Refuge Point all by yourself once again.

YOU KNOW THIS IS HOW IT IS, MOST EVERY TIME !!!  I could give 500 more examples of how type chat makes this and all mmo's solo play.

• metalhead980metalhead980 Member Posts: 2,658

I fully support Intigrated voice chat in all mmos.

Imo it's something that should be in everyone of these games.

In Eve we can make custom chats and right click the tab and instantly start using voice and its crystal clear similar to Vent.

You can have multiple tabs open each with different voice streams.

When I read about WoWs Voice I tested it out and thought the quality was really bad.

It also was very limited, Voice extended to only Party or raid chat it would have been fantastic to enable voice for guild chat and custom channels.

I've been out of WoW for a while so If voice is  available in Guild and custom chat channels now let me know.

Before anyone says "Just get vent" understand certain people arent net tech savy and dont do things like run websites or host voice servers. in WoW with the guild calender you dont really need a website for setting up events and if voice was available for guilds that would make it much easier for newb small guilds to get started.

Edit: The wife was kind enough to give me some WoW info. You can create custom channel that are voice enabled. Its still bad quality but at least its something for small guilds to use.

PLaying: EvE, Ryzom

Waiting For: Earthrise, Perpetuum

• tro44_1tro44_1 Member Posts: 1,819
    Originally posted by page

It's NOT like I'm talking about Stormwind open chat, but more like small group voice chat.

Voice chat :

Your questing in Arathi Highlands, you wonder into Stormgarde Keep by yourself and see a like minded player doing the same group of quest, you ask a few questions feel him out then add him to group.  Instant clear voice chat, EASILY complete all group quest in the area.......Bamm....... instant friend.........You talk a little find that he also took all the quest in the zone, and you find that your playing all day together.

Typing chat :

Your questing in Arathi highlands, you wonder into Stormgarde Keep by yourself and see a like minded player doing the same group of quest, You don't even ask a question because you know your only gonna group for about 2 min. you kill the mob, you type "Thanks" he types "NP' you disband, and find yourself back at Refuge Point all by yourself once again.

YOU KNOW THIS IS HOW IT IS, MOST EVERY TIME !!!  I could give 500 more examples of how type chat makes this and all mmo's solo play.

What?

Iam now confused. So why cant you do this with the current chat system again?

Originally posted by tro44_1

Voice chat :

Typing chat :

What?

Iam now confused. So why cant you do this with the current chat system again?

Hay Tro44_1,

Take a little nap and try to read it again a little later

• TacBoyTacBoy Member UncommonPosts: 142

While I agree with the idea of open area based voice chat (which you can toggle on/off) I think the bit about where people are at in quests is a whole different issue.

WoW's quest interface is horrible and gives absolutely no information on where other people are at in the quest. There was an addon that if both people were running it did a good job of it, but it's dead. LotRo at least gives some indication but no game does it quite right. Given how often grouping is extolled you would think they would put more effort into that. /shrug

World of Warcraft is a good game, Infact its the most user friendly MMO for grouping.

HOWEVER :

They could could go from 2 steps to 10 steps above all others if they would make it even more of a MULTI PLAYER online game..........To do this they must take the COMMUNICATION to the next level.........And that would be with crisp, clear, easy to use VOICE CHAT !

THIS WOULD :

1) Make life easer for new players in starting zones.

2) Allow players to make long term friends easer ( giving friends a sole, typing does not give this effect as much )

3) Dungeons and Raids would be well organized ( I've seen this first hand using Ventrilo in Warhammer RVR, and Dungeons and Dragons Online integrated chat )

4) Open world questing ( would take out the variable on quest riddles,finding locations, and continued grouping after one objective is met )

5) Allow less arguments ( face it, a lot of fighting could be reduced with better communications, such as looting, running ahead of the groups, and tanking mobs )

6) Younger more aggressive players would co-exist much better in groups ( YES, YES,YES-Proved this in Dungeons and Dragons Online so many times, people would have nice conversations to settle them down in their actions, typing with no sole aggravates the situations ) please believe me it works !

Clear crisp voice would make WoW go from 11 million to 15 million players, because so many people don't like to type, can't type, cant fight and type, or get their point across with typing.

• RevenusRevenus Member Posts: 70

Wow devs have stated that to further improve IVC would be at the cost of increased lag and possibly increased sub fees.  Comparatively speaking I can understand their reasoning.  Giving millions of players crystal clear IVC is much harder than affording it to a smaller player base. 

I don't have an opinion either way on the need for IVC in games as I usually have a built in leveling partner in the form of my SO or my kid, however,  If players like it and request, I guess I really don't see the harm in investing further into the feature.  Hopefully CAT brings better voice chat for those folks who are fans.

"There is a certain undeniable power in the void; within lies an unspoken promise of greatness, the shadowy truth that man is ruled by fear not of what is seen, but of what he perceives is seen beyond."

• SonofSethSonofSeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,884

Never had a problem with WoW's voice chat... actually, I had some problems with my friend not using his mic properly, but that's besides the point. It always worked, and worked well, in groups, in arenas, also just doing quests.

But I never wished for options OP wants, I would just /mute everyone anyway if that was possible. Options for griefing would just be too available to allow such a thing.

• RevenusRevenus Member Posts: 70
    Originally posted by SonofSeth

Options for griefing would just be too available to allow such a thing.

Imagine the gold adds visa vi voice chat, that would be a whole new world of nuts.

"There is a certain undeniable power in the void; within lies an unspoken promise of greatness, the shadowy truth that man is ruled by fear not of what is seen, but of what he perceives is seen beyond."

• SonofSethSonofSeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,884
    Originally posted by Revenus

Originally posted by SonofSeth

Options for griefing would just be too available to allow such a thing.

Imagine the gold adds visa vi voice chat, that would be a whole new world of nuts.

*shudders*

Originally posted by Revenus

Wow devs have stated that to further improve IVC would be at the cost of increased lag and possibly increased sub fees.  Comparatively speaking I can understand their reasoning.  Giving millions of players crystal clear IVC is much harder than affording it to a smaller player base. 
    I don't have an opinion either way on the need for IVC in games as I usually have a built in leveling partner in the form of my SO or my kid, however,  If players like it and request, I guess I really don't see the harm in investing further into the feature.  Hopefully CAT brings better voice chat for those folks who are fans.

Well, as it stands right now WoW and all mmo's are not even close to multi player as multi-player should be, or at least could be. You say you don't care either way, I say you may not know how much better it could be:

Before cars were invented, people were saying they don't care either way to have one back then I'm sure !

I'm no dev. infact far from it.  BUT It can't be hard, because D&D Online had crystal clear voice chat three years ago. It would be a patch loaded on to players computer, not on the server( that much I do know ). So it's not that hard !   No more lag, D&D Online was played on my old super super garbage computer with 512 meg of ram and it never skipped a beat.  Bandwith....well then their just being cheap then ( how about just trowing us a bone now and then and bite the cost ).  Another idea would be dedicated voice servers at $15.99 ( Optional ) I'm absolutely sure MOST would flock their, to see what all the hub-bub is all about.

A lot of you people here are computer savvy, I would guess you would not be on a site like this if you were not.  HOWEVER I would bet a large majority of WoW players are not.

Many can't type 500 words a min.

Many don't like to type 500 words a min.

Many can't multi-task.

Many don't like to multi-task.

Many can't get their point across, with typing.

Many are rude, because it's easer to get away with it with typing.

Some don't like to use voice chat, YES they don't like to put their voices out their, BUT you would be surprised how they LIKE to follow others commands then type their responses, I know this first hand to be true !

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

WoW ingame voicechat should scramble the voices of the people according to the language the people use in game. IE if someone doesn't speak a language ingame you understand you hear only gibberish in voice chat. That would be a useful feature.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• Bama1267Bama1267 Member UncommonPosts: 1,822

Not to be mean, but I really don't care to listen to a bunch of kids or "Hardcore" dbags on a regular basis. Keeping it as it is now where i can selectively go to vent works for me. I mean seriously, its already quite evident with the low amount of pug raids I join and get on vent with  ....that is how it would be . Given, it isn't like that all the time .... but I just don't care for it.

Hell ... for that matter I doubt many really want to hear me talk ...

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    Originally posted by coffee

If blizzard added the ability to change your voice when using the built in chat so you sound like a gnome (high voice) or a ork (deep voice) etc then I think more will use it.

Ah, that's an interesting concept. Especially for undead or troll characters. I don't use voicechat in MMORPGs and the killing of immersion is one big reason. The other reason is that players tend to talk alot about stuff besides what is going on in the game at that moment. Gear upgrades, thier day at work, etc. I don't like talking on the phone, and that kind of talk makes it seem like I'm talking on the phone. For intense raids and PvP, where I know there will be minimal chitter chatter, then voice chat is fine. I know this is just a personal preference.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• ThenariusThenarius Member Posts: 1,106
    Originally posted by Palebane

Ah, that's an interesting concept. Especially for undead or troll characters. I don't use voicechat in MMORPGs and the killing of immersion is one big reason. The other reason is that players tend to talk alot about stuff besides what is going on in the game at that moment. Gear upgrades, thier day at work, etc. I don't like talking on the phone, and that kind of talk makes it seem like I'm talking on the phone. For intense raids and PvP, where I know there will be minimal chitter chatter, then voice chat is fine. I know this is just a personal preference.

I wonder if that would try to change everything. Looking forward to see my laugh getting changed to a gnome female's one.

Oh, and...the misguided individuals having fun in Goldshire/Silvermoon inns on RP servers...that would be so damn funny.

OK, whats with this community ?

Where else can you go with a great idea, and have people bash it, just because they like to bash topics.

YOU KNOW it's a good idea, YES an idea like this could be tweeked........... . yet you love to bash.

WoW is just not multi- player as much as it could be........far from it, and you know it can be better !

• ProdudeProdude Member Posts: 353

Where else can you go with a great idea, and have people bash it, just because they like to bash topics.
    YOU KNOW it's a good idea, YES an idea like this could be tweeked........... . yet you love to bash.
    WoW is just not multi- player as much as it could be........far from it, and you know it can be better !

It's YOUR opinion "page", others have their own slant on it.

My take on it? I'm fine with it as is. Your way would also require the ability to mute unlimited blabber mouths. (My opinion)

• TettersTetters Member Posts: 221

Well, its a good idea to you, but obviously not everyone shares your view. I don't people are bashing your thoughts, just offering their own opinions on the subject. 

I personally don't like vent or voice chats ingame, for me they ruin the immersion  and I fear there would be more abuse of the system than you suppose. I can't comment on WoW's current offering as I have never tried and I am wondering if there really is need for open world chat when you are simply questing, the quests are simple and in reality there is very little information you need to give out.

• ParkCarsHereParkCarsHere Member Posts: 666

Hah, this is a good idea. Make it so that you sound like your character's race normally sounds like!

The only problem here is that the men playing females would sound like females... that may create some other problems...!