Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW needs to open up the Sea and give us boats!

McAvoyMcAvoy Member Posts: 85

I was looking up videos of a game called Darkfall today and i found out you can build and sail rafts, boats, ships, and warships. I also read you can battle and take them over like pirates. So why has WoW not added something that cool? WoW has a HUGE sea they could open up, and adding islands wouldn't be so hard would it? The sea could be a FFA PvP area like the arena in Stranglethorn. Guild warships with the guild sign on the flag and sail would be nice. Siege weapon's would be cool too.

Is there any chance of something like that? Any lore to support it or is it just wishful thinking?

(BTW I'm really tired so if this really makes no sense just ignore me)

Inherited Will, the Destiny of the Age, and the Dreams of its People. These are things that will not be stopped. As long as people continue to pursue the meaning of freedom, these things will never cease to be! - Gol D. Roger

Comments

• BattleskarBattleskar Member Posts: 341

I do not see any reason why they could not do it,or any lore reason as to why it should not be attempted.I am sure as long as their current model is working and making them money there really no reason to see them adding such content,although its possible they have already planned it farther down the road expansionwise so who is to say.I am always for more content and new ways to play end game so it would definatly be a good add to the game.

• Einstein-DFEinstein-DF Member Posts: 752

Ah something like this in DF

www.youtube.com/watch

;)

Nah blizzard will just give you some more purple gear you have to get to compete as usual

Innovation is not themepark, its sandbox

• DevourDevour Member Posts: 902
    Originally posted by Einstein-DF

www.youtube.com/watch
    ;)

Nah blizzard will just give you some more purple gear you have to get to compete as usual

Boats in Darkfall are no sort of innovation.

Also, all that'll happen is a hacker'll steal one and fly away.

Do you want to know what IS innovation? Destroying the entire old world content and rebuilding it anew. Show me a game that's had that done before. =)

• Einstein-DFEinstein-DF Member Posts: 752
    Originally posted by Devour

www.youtube.com/watch
    ;)

Do you want to know what IS innovation? Destroying the entire old world content and rebuilding it anew. Show me a game that's had that done before. =)

Tasos NOV 27 2009

"we’re also working on a massive Darkfall project, something coming in a few months that will literally change the face of this game"

comin out before Cataclysm

• avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791

Dam straight......oops ...wait ...I don't play WoW.

• ThenariusThenarius Member Posts: 1,106

Mmm yeah, i guess it could be done, but they'll have to change a lot of the game, since the sea isn't really in-game.

• baddumsbaddums Member Posts: 72

I agree...thus far I am not seeing much usefulness for the sea turtle mount, except for the cool factor. After it was added to the game, I was totally hoping that the expansion announced would be an underwater adventure in the Maelstrom. It makes sense.../shrug

• McAvoyMcAvoy Member Posts: 85

www.youtube.com/watch
    ;)

Cool video,  it makes me want to play Darkfall even more. I also read that there is a free expansion coming Dec. 4 that will improve the ship combat and add more to the seas. 

That's the stuff that i always wanted to do since the day i started MMO's. Just wish blizz would try something like that or try something new.

Inherited Will, the Destiny of the Age, and the Dreams of its People. These are things that will not be stopped. As long as people continue to pursue the meaning of freedom, these things will never cease to be! - Gol D. Roger

• KaocanKaocan Member UncommonPosts: 1,270

Ummm, they aren't redoing the old content to be innovative; they are doing it because nobody plays it anymore. In order to bring flight to Azeroth they would have to rebuild 90% of it anyway as it has no content above a certain elevation, so the EASY way to fix that is to just rebuild it entirely with the new models.

Blizzard has a 5 year old game that has half its content (level 1 to 60) being ignored by almost everyone in their game. They tried to make it less noticeable by increasing XP gained and lowering level restrictions on mounts to get people through it faster. But that still left them with the same issues, just less problematic. The level 1 to 60 content NEEDS to be rebuilt to allow flight and to bring the OLD game up to the where the game is now.

The only innovative thing they have done is decide to charge the players another $50 by making the rebuild an Expansion instead of giving it to them for free like they should. The funny part is, the players (like you), are going to stand up and scream THANK YOU for charging me more money to fix your old worthless content. (YES SIR, THANK YOU SIR, MAY I HAVE ANOTHER SIR!)

(DISCLAIMER - The use of the word YOU in the above post is not directed at any one person in particular, but towards those who fall into the category itself - there is no personal attack here, neither intentional nor implied.)

Tasos NOV 27 2009
    "we’re also working on a massive Darkfall project, something coming in a few months that will literally change the face of this game"
    comin out before Cataclysm

Tasos DEC 19 2009

"The face of the game has changed! There is a slightly changed Darkfall logo."

@Kaocan: You do know that all the old world renovation is being done for FREE, right? Blizzard have stated they're not going to charge anything for the old world content renovation, it's going to be given to all players, only the added zones will have expansion requirements. lol @ you. =D

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

There's a chance they'll copy it from darkfall and the pvpve dungeons from aion making them "new" in the eyes of teh fanbois.

Ps. Will they ever make a free trial for darkfall?

• coffeecoffee Member Posts: 2,007
    Originally posted by Kaocan

Ummm, they aren't redoing the old content to be innovative; they are doing it because nobody plays it anymore. In order to bring flight to Azeroth they would have to rebuild 90% of it anyway as it has no content above a certain elevation, so the EASY way to fix that is to just rebuild it entirely with the new models.

Blizzard has a 5 year old game that has half its content (level 1 to 60) being ignored by almost everyone in their game. They tried to make it less noticeable by increasing XP gained and lowering level restrictions on mounts to get people through it faster. But that still left them with the same issues, just less problematic. The level 1 to 60 content NEEDS to be rebuilt to allow flight and to bring the OLD game up to the where the game is now.

The only innovative thing they have done is decide to charge the players another $50 by making the rebuild an Expansion instead of giving it to them for free like they should. The funny part is, the players (like you), are going to stand up and scream THANK YOU for charging me more money to fix your old worthless content. (YES SIR, THANK YOU SIR, MAY I HAVE ANOTHER SIR!)

The changes to azeroth 1-60 will be seen by ALL players (with and without the expansion),so no one needs to buy the xpac to see and play in the new 1-60 Azeroth.  whats you got to say about that?

• KaocanKaocan Member UncommonPosts: 1,270
    Originally posted by coffee

The changes to azeroth 1-60 will be seen by ALL players (with and without the expansion),so no one needs to buy the xpac to see and play in the new 1-60 Azeroth.  whats you got to say about that?

I stand corrected. The new Azeroth will take effect with Cat and be given to all then? So what is the perk of paying for the expansion then? Just the Gobs and Worgs and their starting areas or are they including a level 80-85 zone as well?

(DISCLAIMER - The use of the word YOU in the above post is not directed at any one person in particular, but towards those who fall into the category itself - there is no personal attack here, neither intentional nor implied.)

I stand corrected. The new Azeroth will take effect with Cat and be given to all then? So what is the perk of paying for the expansion then? Just the Gobs and Worgs and their starting areas or are they including a level 80-85 zone as well?

Eight new zones for 80-85, not including the goblin and worgen ones. Also, it seems to have the most max level raiding / instance content out of an expansion yet.

• ThenariusThenarius Member Posts: 1,106
    Originally posted by bloodaxes

There's a chance they'll copy it from darkfall and the pvpve dungeons from aion making them "new" in the eyes of teh fanbois.
    Ps. Will they ever make a free trial for darkfall?

Because PvPvE dungeons from Aion are such a new concept.

• Garland7GGarland7G Member Posts: 97

To be honest, i was sorta happy when this (now proved completely false) report of the new cata expansion was released on the lorecraft forum, i sorta want it more than what we're getting but, not altogether.

http://wotlkwiki.info/forum/showthread.php?t=5341&highlight=expansion

3————–

Finally a fairly recent posting from someone claiming to be a “Go Fetch Me a Coffee” no one guys in blizzard who had friends that told him some about the projects they were working on. Due to the economy he was let go.

Here is what he posted:

Well,

With the failing economy and the initial 4% stock fall Blizzard decided to take precautions and shave about seventy of its “fluff” employees as they call them. We do little things around Blizzards HQ. Honestly it just looks good on a college graduates resume. But I was there long enough to make some decent friends in the company. And I learned a few things from some friends who shared with me things they ought not be sharing.

Like the details and plans for the next expansion that they have already started on.

Right now it is tentatively being called “Depths of the Dark Tide” or sometimes the name “Depths of the Emerald Tide”, or “The Surging Depths” all names are getting tossed around for finality. DotDT Great acronym right? Well anyways, as always, Blizzard keeps coming up with new ideas to keep the game fresh. They have some real whoppers they are planning apparently.

Here is just a few things I heard/seen would be in there.

-No New Races

-Two New Hero Classes

*Archdruid

*Blade Master

-New Ocean Exploration System

-Underwater and Sea Top Siege Combat with Customizable boats and submarines.

-”Shove Off” Zoning from anywhere in Azeroth

-Level Cap is only 85* There are some discrepancies.

Apparently Azshara has been cooking something up. Deep within The Rift of the Maelstrom, Azshara has been up something new. She has began using Titan Technology along with the dark energies still resonating from the Well of Eternity to… create water? That’s right. She creates huge pulses of water in the Rift that spew up into the world creating massive tidal waves causing the ocean to slowly encroach on the rest of the world. Flooding the world is her dream, however there are side effects she wasn’t expecting. The floods or named by the outside world as “The Surge” are pulses of stormy waves that crash into everything raising the water level. This is sending the world out of balance and adversely affecting the Emerald dream, causing the nightmare to swell like the tides rising in the real world. This apparently colapses the planet eventually, meaning all the heroes of the world have the stop Azshara before she screws things up.

Tentative Zone Lists

Zones work differently after you leave Gilneas. They are separated into Seas. Subzones are the islands and various other thing’s you come across. The subzone islands aren’t as big as normal zones, but the ocean is supposively going to be of grandeur size.

Gilneas

Finally you get to see behind the gate. Gilneas led by Tarn Greymane finally opens it’s gates as the Surge threatens to over take them. Because of this calamity both horde and alliance can prove themselves through a series of phase quests.

They are leading supplier of boats at the beginning of the expansion.

Kul Tiras

One of the main islands, A town called Boralus will be a major port here for the alliance and will be used a bit through out the expansion. It’s one of the few non tropical islands in the expansion. This is where the alliance starts to first learn about the Surge.

Tel Abim

Tropical island of Tel Bim. Concept art is showing it to be a bright and tropical paradise with very scenic beaches. The Goblins are trying to start tourism/vacation resort here, but of course they need you to clean the island up for them first.

Zandalar Island

Whats an expansion without a Troll area. The trolls are trying to get their great land tamed and are attempting something called “Land Mending” involving weaving ley lines to repair their fractured island. There are various tribes of Trolls here from all around the world, friendly and unfriendly.

Kezan

The big island is home to many things including the home town of the Goblins… Undermine. The Goblins facing the Surge agreed to let the alliance and the horde use Undermine as a home base to combat the Maelstrom. This will be the one of the two next Shattarah/Dalaran type cities. Goblin submarines are popular here as well.

The Broken Islands

Home of the Blade Master’s starting island of Saramar, The Stormreaver Bay, Tomb of Sargeras, one of the first 5 mans.(And no, there is no Sageras in his Tomb)

Plunder Island

Home of the Bloodsail. A 5 man will be here as well as quite a bit quests dealing with the various attacks all over the South Sea’s dealing with their raiding and … well… plundering. The Bloodsails are almost as popular as Murlocs this time around. They are everywhere.

The Maelstrom is a main zone, with a bunch of subzones in it as well.

There are alot of 5 mans surrounding the main rift as well as the capital of Nazjatar. This zone is supposively massive. All of these zones are underwater mainly and require the goblin submarines to explore. A lot of siege vehicles come into play here. Much like the Boats work on the surface of the ocean, in the maelstrom the submarines come into play. Of course a lot of the zones have “air pocket” areas in them where you get off of your sub to explore.

The Rift is where Azshara is producing her mighty Surge and will be one of the final raid instances in the expansion.

Ok, this sounds like alot of zones… but the islands really aren’t that big. All of the Ocean is maybe 4 zones.

This is where the Emerald dream comes into play along with the Arch Druid Hero class.

The Roaming Flats

The ever changing lands of the Roaming Flats… built to be a defense mechanism against invaders of the Emerald dream, of course the nightmare infection has messed things up here. It is highly confusing and never looks the same twice. From what I hear this is one of blizzard’s new babies. The next step after phasing quests. The zone actually changes every hour and locations relocate themselves. This zone has a huge quest chain that you need to complete to get to the rest of the emerald dream.

The Dying Paradise

The most corrupt part of the emerald dream. Dying trees slowly fall down to the ground. Horrific twisted versions of azeroth animals roam attacking anything near them. Black darkness spreads in some areas while it looks like fall time in others. A huge offensive of druids attempts to push back the corruption.

The Tangled Sky

This sounds like the most interesting zone in expansion imho. A series of winding roots tangled through the sky. Not sure how this one will work to be honest. But it sure is… different?

The Eye of Ysera

Overly bright green energy spews in this still pristine part of the emerald dream. The flows are trying to push back the nightmare infection leaving pretty little rows of flowers and trees in it’s wake. The architecture is unique slightly similar to the night elf structures. There is a massive town here and will act as another Dalaran/Shattarah.

The Sleeping Grove and The Breathing Grove

The starting area for the Archdruids. Not much else is known.

Ocean/Depths Exploration/Shove Off

Boats! Submarines!

The new system is going to involve you actually building and customizing you’re own boats to sail the sea’s with. The sea’s are very open and full of little cavern’s and other things in the middle of nowhere. Well this is what they are aiming for anyway. Pirate attacks and sea monsters to follow.

This is going to be one of the new selling points come the expansion. Boat and submarine battles amongst players.

You get to customize your boats with different parts improving it’s performance, speed, armor, and weapons. They will be using the same system as siege vehicles but they will probably add more bells and whistles.

Also you can upgrade from boats at 84 to submarines. This will be the only way to enter Maelstrom. Subs will be much like boats be be underwater. The better parts will come from engineers. This will be their new direction. They will get epic parts like blacksmithing gets epic weapons.

Oh, no flying mounts when over the ocean. The Surge prevents you from flying. Enjoy the sea’s. You can enter the sea’s off any beach in Azeroth by going over the fatigue area while in a boat.

New Leveling System

They are pushing forward with a more story driven progression. Northrend has some great story driven quest lines.

You still gain experience but there caps. Upon reaching enough experience to level you must complete quest chains to unlock the next level. They will be soloable. It’s just in concept stages right now, and they are expecting a lot of whining if they do decide to go through with it. But they want players to feel progression just besides gear and seeing new raids.

It might not make it through, but how many other things that are planned get scrapped?

Archdruids

Archdruids… why those are just leader druids. And who would want to play a normal druid when there are ARCH druids. Yeah I know right. But they do play quite differently.

The Archdruids are the druids trapped in the emerald dream. These druids focus more on the ethereal aspect of druids. Their abilities are suppose to reflect their control over the emerald dream. No spells have really been discussed that I personally know of.

They are going to continue like death knights and have an impressive starter zone inside the Emerald dream that involves them fighting off the nightmare and waking themselves up. They work with Malfurion himself.

Blade Masters:

These clever brutes have taken up residence in the Saramar ruins. They use it as their training grounds testing their trainees on the residents of the ruins. The whole zone is to prove yourself. Half of the starter zone is you on a large boat with other graduated blade masters heading back to the mainland. You fight off sea monsters and pirates etc on what they try to make feel like a long journey home.

Blade Masters are going to tri-wield. They will equip 2 one-handed items and then 1 two hander. I am not sure exactly how that works but different skills use different weapons. They have a “reactive” skill set. Where certain skills are only usable after using other skills. An example I was given was Sliding Slash, it’s like a damaging charge, after using that attack two other skills become available. Each of those two skills break off into 2 or three other possible skills. So different attacks are available depending on how you start the fight. You would have a whole different slew of options if you started the fight up close instead of using sliding slash to gain distance. If you don’t use the next in the set of skills in 5 seconds, it starts over again. There are also finishers… There are 5 tiers of skills in the set up. Sliding slash being a first tier and so on. You have a special attack button that will do a different attack based on the tier you are on and the last used skill. It ends the combo.

• McAvoyMcAvoy Member Posts: 85

^  Just a link would have been fine. (lol)