Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Runescape killer

rhinokrhinok Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

So, Sparkplay Media has basically "called out" Runescape with runescapekiller.com and Earth Eternal (I'm surprised Sparkplay didn't have a disclaimer on the bottom of their site indicating Jagex owns the rights to Runescape, since it's an advertising site, not a parody or forum).  Have any of you Runescape players tried it.  If so, how would you compare the two (keeping in mind that Earth Eternal is still in open beta)?  What does Runescape do better and what does Earth Eternal do better?  I haven't played Runescape personally, so I can't comment objectively. I'll load it up here this week (work and family permitting) to try to compare the two myself.

~Ripper

Comments

• paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613

It is very closely tied to Iron Realm Entertainment.   Or rather was.  (I'm not sure which anymore)

This means that advancement is literally tied to the credit shop,  or rather real cash.   To the extent that to be PvPable in a MUD(text based game) you're spending around $300-$1000 and/or several thousand online hours since leveling doesn't give you enough lessons to train all the "required" skill sets that you need(credits transfer into lessons, and in most games an artifact or 5).    Though they do offer the service to have players be able to buy/sell credits in game(and will in this game).

From the run down that I've seen on their web site it doesn't look like they're toning it down at all.   Rather following in the foot prints of their most cash shoppy game Achaea.

I'm under the assumption that coming from Runescape you're probably going to hate any form of RMT, even if through the developers.

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.

• SarbocabrasSarbocabras Member Posts: 257

Definitely not a RuneScape killer, don't waste your time with this game I can assure you RuneScape is 1000x better and more enjoyable.

• rhinokrhinok Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

None of the cash shop items I've seen for it, thus far, seem to be the sort that will force you to purchase  in order to advance. You can advance more quickly with them, however.  As to PvP, it doesn't yet exist in game, although it certainly seems like potions and charms could definitely give a player a competitive advantage.  I do know one can buy potions with gold, but I don't know whether or not they're the same as the ones that can be purchased from the cash shop.   It seems to me that in order to be truly fair, cash shop buffs would have to be disabled in PvP, otherwise PvP will turn into a  case of who's willing to spend the most...  At this point, it's all conjecture.

Originally posted by Sarbocabras 

Definitely not a RuneScape killer, don't waste your time with this game I can assure you RuneScape is 1000x better and more enjoyable.

Based on what, Sarbocabras?

~Ripper

• BlisseyBlissey Member Posts: 515
    Originally posted by Sarbocabras

Don't judge too soon, kid. Runescape kills this game when it comes to the amount of players playing, the quests and the content EXCEPT graphics. You may ask WHY. The answer is, Runescape has been out longer and has attained a worldwide recognition for itself. This game EE is just a newly released MMORPG that boasts meshes that are 10000x better than runescapes. Just think about it. This game has POTENTIAL.

The only thing I don't like about it are the cartoon-like races and the kiddy design. They could've done better. I could have done better if they gave me a chance to be CEO of their company.  

One thing I can say, their game is10000x more visually pleasing than what Runescape "HD" offers.

• PhelimReaghPhelimReagh Member UncommonPosts: 682

It's hard to imagine this being a "Runescape Killer", as bad as Runescape is. 

This game is graphically fairly sophisticated, and I imagine many of Runescape's younger players might like to play cutesy little animal-humanoids.

However, one of Runescape's big selling points is that it's cheap and/or free, however you prefer it. Despite this game being "free", it has a very expensive cash shop.

When I tried playing this, it just seemed very, very annoying. I don't know why. It had a WoW-like feel, and I wasn't looking for another WoW game when I tried it.

• rhinokrhinok Member UncommonPosts: 1,798
    Originally posted by PhelimReagh

It's hard to imagine this being a "Runescape Killer", as bad as Runescape is. 

This game is graphically fairly sophisticated, and I imagine many of Runescape's younger players might like to play cutesy little animal-humanoids.

However, one of Runescape's big selling points is that it's cheap and/or free, however you prefer it. Despite this game being "free", it has a very expensive cash shop.

When I tried playing this, it just seemed very, very annoying. I don't know why. It had a WoW-like feel, and I wasn't looking for another WoW game when I tried it.

I agree that some of the items in EE's credit shop are expensive.  Personally, I'd like to see them lower some prices and also make some items available across the account, not just for a single character. If they did, I--as a longtime subscription model gamer--might actually consider buying an item from a credit shop.  That being said, the entire game is free from start to finish (in so far as the game is "finished" - it's still in beta and needs a lot of polish, IMO).  None of the credit shop items seem truly necessary, although I question whether or not that will continue to be the case when PvP is introduced.

Regarding the WoW comment - yes, it does play very much like WoW and other generic fantasy MMOs.  I'd love to see something a little more innovative than target a mob, cycle through your number buttons, loot and move on. In terms of actual play, there's nothing too innovative.  The skill system is pretty nice, however, in that you aren't locked into a tree and can also get some skills from the other classes.  Some skills are class-agnostic, like the healing spells - anybody can heal, although certain classes will be better at it.  At this point in time, however, there's no PvP, Player Housing, economy/market/auction house, etc...  The core of the game today is straight up quest grinding/mob killing.  If they truly want to be a Runescape killer, they need to flesh out the game's features.

Thanks for the input.  I'm curious to see what others think?  I definitely think it has potential, especially if players play for free, but after loading up Runescape for the first time the other day I have to think the target audience for each game is really different.  I literally couldn't stand to play Runescape past the tutorial - it just seemed so primitive and clunky (even in HD).  I have to think there's a large porton of the Runescape player base who play it because they can't play anything better on their systems.  I have heard that aspects of the game can be pretty fun, but if I can't stand the game enough to get to them, I'll never see them.