Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It may be a weird thing to complain about but...

Legato89Legato89 Member Posts: 297

..the characters move way too fast, and I'm talking about regular not sprinted movement. It feels like the world is moving around me instead of me moving around the world, like the Planet Express ship. Also when you attack enemies from afar they sprint towards you at sonic speed. Is it impossible to kite in this game?

Comments

• Label_ThisLabel_This Member Posts: 171

That isn't weird at all. I havn't played the game but it doesn't sound very immersive if the players run around at unrealistic speeds. Infact, SWG was the same... maybe they use the same engine or something.

Why are there so many cutesie, fantasy, childish MMO's. Give me blood, gore and a long lasting challenge. I don't need my hand being held along the way. Thanks.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Funny you mention this, a buddy of mine said the very same thing when I asked him to try the game. He was used to WoW movement, but he said that he felt like his character was moving way to fast.

Personally I like the speed the character moves at, but I agree the mobs you fight move even faster when they come to you making it impossible to kite them.

Another game that drives me nuts with character speed is Warhammer. I feel like I'm in molasses in that game and it's sad that I have to use sprint every couple of seconds to get around the fairly large world. Mount made it better but not by much.

• DarbiiRueDarbiiRue Member UncommonPosts: 832

When my boyfriend and I used to play, it was one of his biggest beefs with the game. I mean he would complain about this on a constant basis and quite frankly, it's terribly un-immersive.

There are a few problems I have with that game. One big "for instance" is the fact that Nektulos Forest is so terribly laggy. It's optimized so poorly that I basically have to put everything on the lowest setting just to go through there (and if  you look at my xfire profile, you'll see I have a decent PC).

SOE has always had problems with optimization.

• 3nimac3nimac Member UncommonPosts: 63

Maybe the models are small, so they appear to be faster, but due to being correctly proportioned, they do not actually appear as small.

Just an odd theory, i do not play EQ2 :)

• DarbiiRueDarbiiRue Member UncommonPosts: 832
    Originally posted by 3nimac

Maybe the models are small, so they appear to be faster, but due to being correctly proportioned, they do not actually appear as small.
    Just an odd theory, i do not play EQ2 :)

This is not the case at all. In fact Ogres which are incredibly large move as fast as superman. It's seriously amusing watching people run in that game, they're so fast!

• ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888

Mobs don't run faster then they normally do or then you typically run.  However when you are in combat you loose run speed bufs which makes kiting imposible unless you can slow down the mob chasing you.

---
    Ethion

• raystantzraystantz Final Fantasy XI CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,237

I guess I am the opposite. I felt like they ran at a speed that didn't annoy me. Darkfall = too slow, War = too slow, 

I think Age of Conan has it just right. EQ2 is a tiny bit faster than AOC I believe. FFXI running is ridiculously slow and the zones are HUGEEEEEEEE

www.facebook.com/themarksmovierules

Currently playing:

FFXIV on Behemoth, FFXI on Eden, and Gloria Victis on NA. 

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    Originally posted by Legato89

..the characters move way too fast, and I'm talking about regular not sprinted movement. It feels like the world is moving around me instead of me moving around the world, like the Planet Express ship. Also when you attack enemies from afar they sprint towards you at sonic speed. Is it impossible to kite in this game?

Honey, you don't want to play a game where it takes real life time to travel anywhere. You'd be insanely bored.

• RekindleRekindle Member UncommonPosts: 1,206

Pretty sure it was slower in beta.

How unimersive of you all -- the gravity of Norrath is weaker, thats all.

• VarnyVarny Member Posts: 765

They made it faster like with SWG aswel because people complained that movement speed was too slow. All that happens though is it makes the animations look retarded and ruins everything. I remember in SWG when you have the run acceleration and slow down but they took that out for snappy fast movement. I liked the old way better because it animated nicely and felt more real but noooooooo the whiners had to get it changed.

• grandpagamergrandpagamer Member Posts: 2,221
    Originally posted by Varny

They made it faster like with SWG aswel because people complained that movement speed was too slow. All that happens though is it makes the animations look retarded and ruins everything. I remember in SWG when you have the run acceleration and slow down but they took that out for snappy fast movement. I liked the old way better because it animated nicely and felt more real but noooooooo the whiners had to get it changed.

This site is amazing. I just read about how SOE never listens to their players and now im seeing where they give them something they want and people that dont even play the game are bitching about it.  And people  cant figure out if SOE or any other game company pays any heed to what is written here. God help us.

• VarnyVarny Member Posts: 765
    Originally posted by grandpagamer

This site is amazing. I just read about how SOE never listens to their players and now im seeing where they give them something they want and people that dont even play the game are bitching about it.  And people  cant figure out if SOE or any other game company pays any heed to what is written here. God help us.

The problem is SOE listens but instead of improving they make quick changes without testing and ruin the game.

• RekindleRekindle Member UncommonPosts: 1,206
    Originally posted by grandpagamer

With the fear of being a called a fanboi in mind: of course they listen to their players. Clearly there are enough people paying money in this sea of SOE hate that they can carve out an existience. They must be making someone happy.

• DevourDevour Member Posts: 902
    Originally posted by Rekindle

With the fear of being a called a fanboi in mind: of course they listen to their players. Clearly there are enough people paying money in this sea of SOE hate that they can carve out an existience. They must be making someone happy.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=25879

• grandpagamergrandpagamer Member Posts: 2,221
    Originally posted by Devour

Originally posted by Rekindle

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=25879

Thank you if for nothing else showing a tie between SOE and SONY. Ive seen it posted here time and again how SOE and SONY are different entities. I have always assumed its to excuse the SOE haters ownership of Sony electronics.  Cats out of the bag now lol.

• Dionysus187Dionysus187 Member Posts: 302

I never minded it but I have been running at fast speeds most of my time playing the game having a ranger (over 45% speed increase).

Moving and traveling at 'realistic speeds' may sound neat and be kind of cool but once you have taken in all the scenary and just want to get to a specific place to get stuff done it gets boring real fast. You always have the option of taking off run speed buffs and putting your character into walk mode.