Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WTH? WHY?

www.imdb.com/title/tt0898367/cinemashowtimes

That is a map of where the movie "The Road" is playing. It launched on the 25th. It's based on a book that has top awards, been on the top sellers list for a long time and the movie also has:

• Viggo Mortensen (The King from LoTR)
  • Robert Duvall
  • Guy Pearce
  • Charlize Theron

Pretty much an all star cast. Not exactly A list like Brad Pitt, Harrison Ford, etc. But, still an all star cast. Why would they only be showing this movie in select theaters? The closest one to me is Dallas and that's 250miles away and I tried to find it.... in the other way.... can't find it there either. I REALLY want to see this movie. God this makes me mad.

Comments

• EkibiogamiEkibiogami Member UncommonPosts: 2,154

Yeah ive ever understood these select showings Either. Probably just need to convince the local theiter to try and get it.. that said im sure its to late.

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    —Samuel Adams

• TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547
    Originally posted by Ekibiogami

Yeah ive ever understood these select showings Either. Probably just need to convince the local theiter to try and get it.. that said im sure its to late.

Well, they did that with Paranormal Activity. But, they were also doing commercials saying "go here and request it!".  This probably explains why I haven't seen any trailers on TV or in the theaters for The Road.

• TechleoTechleo Member Posts: 1,984

Unfortunately its hard to convince a lot of the theater companies to release some movies due to questionable profits. With this market it can be murder to a theater if a movie doesnt pay for its release. Especially when you can put another profitable movie in the same screenage area.

• IhmoteppIhmotepp Member Posts: 14,495
    Originally posted by Ekibiogami

There's a couple of reasons for select showings. First and foremost is the cost of distribution. You need to make a film print for each theater, which is VERY expensive.

if you don't think you're going to do big box office sales, making all these prints would just lose money.

Instead, you make a few prints, and then let theaters show them, and send them elsewhere for another showing. If the movie takes off, you've got enough money to make more prints.

Second, some movies are going after the DVD market, direct sales, netflix rentals, and so forth. You get more sales, and can charge more if your movie was a box office release, not just straight to video. So you run a few national ads, show it in a couple of theaters, and it qualifies as a bonafied box office release.

I'm a big sci fi fan, but honestly this movie didn't really appeal to me. It just looks to bleak.