Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

world of warcraft, any real fan out there ?

So, since all we here on this site is wow hate i would like to turn the tide(i atleast try !!). I see to much wow hate here, its like this is a meca for wow haters, but most cant even give a good reason.

I'm a wow fan, i love wow and i have played it for 5 years now. For me the game got the best possible gameplay, with the deepest lore. I have tried other game, aion, df, war, lotro but they didnt catch me, and i've ALWAYS returned to wow.

I dont know what it is, but damn the warcraft saga is legendary. I still havent found a mmo with the same deep lore and rich envoirment, they all try but cant get to the same level as blizzard did. I still havent found a game they gave me the same good feeling while exploring, azeroth is a awesome place.

Any wow fans out there ?? heeellloo are you there ??

Regards Amstrup :-)

Comments

• zeowyrmzeowyrm Member Posts: 746
    Originally posted by Amstrup

So, since all we here on this site is wow hate i would like to turn the tide(i atleast try !!). I see to much wow hate here, its like this is a meca for wow haters, but most cant even give a good reason.
    I'm a wow fan, i love wow and i have played it for 5 years now. For me the game got the best possible gameplay, with the deepest lore. I have tried other game, aion, df, war, lotro but they didnt catch me, and i've ALWAYS returned to wow.
    I dont know what it is, but damn the warcraft saga is legendary. I still havent found a mmo with the same deep lore and rich envoirment, they all try but cant get to the same level as blizzard did. I still havent found a game they gave me the same good feeling while exploring, azeroth is a awesome place.

I like WoW.  What it does, it does very well, and can be quite fun.  However, it's the WoW community I detest, and I know I'm not the only one.

• EbenEben Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 522

Been playing WoW since mid-2005.  Tried many MMOs prior to WoW, but most of them seemed...really really bad, even though I tried to force myself to like UO and EQ.  I'd loved the Warcraft RTS, as well as Diablo and Starcraft, so even though I avoided it for awhile, in the end I tried and ultimately liked WoW.  Now, it seems that I keep coming back to it because it annoys me the least out of all the current MMOs out there.  

Katsma is Lithuanian for 'he who drinks used douche fluid'.

Originally posted by zeowyrm

I like WoW.  What it does, it does very well, and can be quite fun.  However, it's the WoW community I detest, and I know I'm not the only one.

That's why I play on RP or RP-PVP servers.  =/

• AmstrupAmstrup Member Posts: 63

Thanks for the fast replys, its always great to see people like you out there in the middle of all the hate :-)

• SeasqwaaSeasqwaa Member Posts: 3

I love WoW.

I have played on other servers though, and I know what the community it like.

Although, on my current server (RP) most people are mature, which is great!

I have noticed a lot of WoW hate too.

I think it's probably people who haven't played the game, (or played it for 5 minutes. bleh)

or just people that can't stand it because it's one of the bigger MMOs. Kind of odd actually.

• decade85decade85 Member Posts: 65

I've been playing WoW since late '05... maybe early '06. I was big into Diablo, StarCraft, and WarCraft.

I was very resistant to try WoW. I came from SWG (pre-NGE) where it wasn't very cartoony looking, and certainly not a theme park. When I did try it, I bitched an awful lot. No player housing, poor community, graphically lacking (or at least not my taste), etc. But it continued to suck me in. And although all my original gripes are still there, it does other things so well. Few bugs, well balanced, lots of content, and new content always on its way.

I officially label myself a fan.

• neonwireneonwire Member Posts: 1,787

Blah blah blah the wow community is horrible blah blah blah

.......even though people come and go between mmos all the time so there is no fixed community in any game. The idiots are the ones that get noticed in all mmos because they are the ones spouting non stop crap in the general chat channels.......and as WoW has more people playing it than any other mmo you're naturally going to see a lot of crap in the chat channels. The behaviour of those vocal morons is not indicative of the thousands of other quiet people who are just getting on with playing the game. Dont judge ALL the players purely on what you see in general chat and occasional random jerks you get in PUGs.

I personally havent really seen any big difference between the so-called communities of these mmos. They are all hit and miss all the time. In virtually every mmo I have played I tend to find that there are some decent people to be found.......surrounded by a sea of morons.

Originally posted by decade85

I've been playing WoW since late '05... maybe early '06. I was big into Diablo, StarCraft, and WarCraft.
    I was very resistant to try WoW. I came from SWG (pre-NGE) where it wasn't very cartoony looking, and certainly not a theme park. When I did try it, I bitched an awful lot. No player housing, poor community, graphically lacking (or at least not my taste), etc. But it continued to suck me in. And although all my original gripes are still there, it does other things so well. Few bugs, well balanced, lots of content, and new content always on its way.
    I officially label myself a fan.

Great :- D

• EthianEthian Member Posts: 1,216

WoWs a great game but its been out for 5 years...any popular MMO with a good company behind it is bound to grow into a huge success with plenty of content. I don't return to WoW because its old and stale now, simple as that.

"I play Tera for the gameplay"

• TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547

I think WoW is a very good MORPG, but I think it fails at the MMORPG.

What I mean by that, is the endgame raiding is very well done and it's pretty damn fun the first few times you run them. I'm not saying it's not a MMORPG, it's completely a MMORPG, but I just think it fails at that aspect. There is very little grouping, outside of endgame, the crafting is pathetic, the economy is horrible, the leveling process is pointless, and really the only the only thing it has going for it is a big name and subscribers.... which is part of the problem too. Every time I entered a city for the first time, the first thing I did was /leave trade. And then, I just felt alone. Everyone is busy doing their own thing, leveling up their 910th alt and going into instanced places to gain XP or gear.

Originally posted by TheHatter

I think WoW is a very good MORPG, but I think it fails at the MMORPG.
    What I mean by that, is the endgame raiding is very well done and it's pretty damn fun the first few times you run them. I'm not saying it's not a MMORPG, it's completely a MMORPG, but I just think it fails at that aspect. There is very little grouping, outside of endgame, the crafting is pathetic, the economy is horrible, the leveling process is pointless, and really the only the only thing it has going for it is a big name and subscribers.... which is part of the problem too. Every time I entered a city for the first time, the first thing I did was /leave trade. And then, I just felt alone. Everyone is busy doing their own thing, leveling up their 910th alt and going into instanced places to gain XP or gear.

This i dont get.

The leveling has been greatly improved in wotlk, and northrend got the best leveling ever seen in mmos, and leveling up for the first time in azeroth was epic after that it gets abit boring yes, but pointless no.

Dont see whats wrong with crafting and proffesions tbh ?

I respectfully disagree with you.

Originally posted by neonwire

.......even though people come and go between mmos all the time so there is no fixed community in any game. The idiots are the ones that get noticed in all mmos because they are the ones spouting non stop crap in the general chat channels.......and as WoW has more people playing it than any other mmo you're naturally going to see a lot of crap in the chat channels. The behaviour of those vocal morons is not indicative of the thousands of other quiet people who are just getting on with playing the game. Dont judge ALL the players purely on what you see in general chat and occasional random jerks you get in PUGs.

I personally havent really seen any big difference between the so-called communities of these mmos. They are all hit and miss all the time. In virtually every mmo I have played I tend to find that there are some decent people to be found.......surrounded by a sea of morons.

Just to touch on this a bit;  by and large, -every- online gaming community sucks.  Some suck less, some suck more.  From what I've experienced, using WoW as a baseline, both Aion and AoC were drastically worse, and better seemed to be LOTRO and EVE.  Thats just from what I remember from the past 6 months or so. 

• zeowyrmzeowyrm Member Posts: 746
    Originally posted by Eben

Originally posted by neonwire

Just to touch on this a bit;  by and large, -every- online gaming community sucks.  Some suck less, some suck more.  From what I've experienced, using WoW as a baseline, both Aion and AoC were drastically worse, and better seemed to be LOTRO and EVE.  Thats just from what I remember from the past 6 months or so. 

For the record, I didn't say everyone sucked.  And you're right, by and large, the more people in a game=the more douchebags in a game.  I've also met some decent people in game, been part of some great mature guilds and had fun.  But at least I'm being realistic.  I keep coming back to the game because ultimately, its fun.  Besides, I've seen worse communities.  Can any one list reasons they like the game without a couple of "but I wish this wasn't there . . ." comments, and mean it?  No game is that perfect. :)

• Kuro1nKuro1n Member UncommonPosts: 775

WoW is a good game that i hate... Why? Because i dont want a big brother to help me all the time. Its Themepark-game and i hate themepark-games.

I like games where you can do whatever you want, stab your clanleader/partyleader to death without having to duel or without having to warn him... thats what a pure game is; obtaining the cake or getting your head smashed trying to do so.

• TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547

This i dont get.

The leveling has been greatly improved in wotlk, and northrend got the best leveling ever seen in mmos, and leveling up for the first time in azeroth was epic after that it gets abit boring yes, but pointless no.

Dont see whats wrong with crafting and proffesions tbh ?

I respectfully disagree with you.

Well, leveling is pointless because it doesn't take 79 levels to learn your character, even if you're a complete newbie and it's your first character. WoW at 80 is nothing like WoW at 1-79. Not to mention, WoW is pretty much nothing but an endgame centric game now and has been for a long time. Why do you need to quest grind through 80 levels to get there? If you quest grind or grind mobs, you're going to be EXACTLY the same as any other character of your race/class combo in the game. Nothing 1-79 effects your character. There is no special paths to take, there is nothing that will help you or hurt you if you get or don't get, you get everything you can get regardless. Therefore, the whole leveling process is pointless and Blizz has actually admitted this in a non-direct way of heirloom items and DKs. DKs come out of their land (forget the name) at 59-61, which is really the only levels the entire game should have for new characters.

Crafting/Professions are dull and a brain dead moron can make the same thing as a hardcore player from Elitistjerks.com. Everyone from everywhere can make the exact same stuff. I've power leveled JC, Alch, Tailoring in 2 days each... well about 8hrs playtime actually. I've powerleveled cooking in less than a few hours and I've power leveled Enchanting in less than a week. There is absolutely no variety or progression in crafting. It's just... you craft. Nothing to it, everyone can do it. The things you make are worth FAR FAR FARRRRR less than the items it took to make them or the rare recipie goes for (even ToC stuff). It's pathetic at best and if you don't understand why it's so bad, you really need to taste quite a few other games.

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    Originally posted by Deleted User

Been playing WoW since mid-2005.  Tried many MMOs prior to WoW, but most of them seemed...really really bad, even though I tried to force myself to like UO and EQ.  I'd loved the Warcraft RTS, as well as Diablo and Starcraft, so even though I avoided it for awhile, in the end I tried and ultimately liked WoW.  Now, it seems that I keep coming back to it because it annoys me the least out of all the current MMOs out there.  

I think Blizzard have turned it into a very pleasant game to play solo or casually now, so you can come and go. For me, though, the game tails off after a few months each expansion release due to lack of content. Bringing back old content in the WotLK is indicative of the fact that Blizzard have a hard time developing more than a couple of months content with each expansion. I think I might enjoy playing Cataclysm 1-85 and then doing the dungeons with a new character, but I don't think it a game I'd long-term sub for again.

• WimsanWimsan Member Posts: 6

I am a WoW-fan even if I only play the game 3-4 month a year.

I will always prefer AO (or games in that genre) but can't see anything wrong with wow.

I use it as a vacation from my other games :)

• Goatgod76Goatgod76 Member Posts: 1,214

This.

• DreathorDreathor Member Posts: 537
    Originally posted by Goatgod76

This.

That. I usually just try to do everything with friends & guildies and completely avoid "randoms", there's an epic level of jerks on my server.

"If all you can say is... "It's awful, it's not innovative, it's ugly, it's blah.." Then you're an unimaginative and unpolished excuse for human life" -eburn

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

The main problem with WoW's community is that it is so big. There are plenty of great people to get to know along with the jerks, sometimes it's just harder to find them. Tolerance is a great virtue to have in any MMO, especially with one that has such a large community.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• Goatgod76Goatgod76 Member Posts: 1,214
    Originally posted by Palebane

The main problem with WoW's community is that it is so big. There are plenty of great people to get to know along with the jerks, sometimes it's just harder to find them. Tolerance is a great virtue to have in any MMO, especially with one that has such a large community.

While I agree, it's REALLY hard to do so when it is festering in virtually every corner of the game. Hell, I have patience...I've been married, but even my patience/tolerance wore thin when every time I logged on I had to disable chat channels like clockwork to avoid the spamming of chuck norris jokes, leet speech, or even worse foul mouthing back and forth between players about PvP, etc than I had even heard in the Navy.

After awhile, I felt I was paying $15 a month to be enrolled in virtual daycare. It's a little sad, because I enjoyed playing the game, but didn't enjoy the above, which took away from the feel of it being an MMO for me.

• enjoenjo Member UncommonPosts: 8

I don't like WoW but I don't call my self a WoW hater because of one reason which is that WoW is not my type of game. I played it with my friend character for few hours(actually few days) and I got bored really fast from the game I don't know why but when I reached lvl 80 it was just like nothing interesting was happening even through there were many people.

• CyberWizCyberWiz Member UncommonPosts: 914

I have had alot of fun with the game, but it never touched the epicness of DAoC pre-TOA-NF, the socializing in SWG pre-CU-NGE or the complexity of EVE Online.

Still I had fun for a couple of years, mainly because of the RL friends that played, also the other 2 games I mentioned which I played before were pretty much ruined, so I had nothing to return to. Also no mmo's were released for a good while after WoW that were able to hold my interest.

If you are interested in subscription or PCU numbers for MMORPG's, check out my site :
    http://mmodata.blogspot.be/
    Favorite MMORPG's : DAoC pre ToA-NF, SWG Pre CU-NGE, EVE Online

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063

In my opinion, you feel this way because WoW was your first MMORPG. I fealt the same way about DAoC, which was my first MMORPG. I liked WoW, but here's my opinion about what you said:

When it comes to combat, the gameplay is pretty good, one of the best. Champions Online also has good gameplay, as does most modern games now. However, as a complete package, the great combat is one of the things that makes WoW stand out. As far as other types of gameplay, such as depth of gameplay and alternate-non-combative activities, I fealt like WoW is one of the worst in the genre. Compare the amount of actitvities you can spend significant amounts of time in with WoW compared to say UO, Runescape, and SWG. There's a lot more to a game than combat, yet WoW focuses almost strictly on combat. You even need to participate in heavy combat to level up your crafting. WoW doesn't have housing, or non-combative classes either. So yes, WoW has great combat gameplay, but bad everything else gameplay.

In regards to lore, I didn't get much out of WoW when it came to lore, however, the Warcraft RTS games offered plenty of lore in their games, as does the books, and websites. The game itself, didn't hold too much lore. Hell, if you didn't play the RTS games, there's a lot of things the game hints at or refers to that you wouldn't even know about. Games like LoTRO are much better when it comes to discovering lore inside the actual game. The Warcraft saga is legendary though, unfortunately most of the legend must be read or played outside of WoW. WoW itself is pretty much a quest grinder with very shallow and repetative quests, that are more akin to tasks and chores, than epic quests that can be found in the RTS games and books.

As for exploring in WoW, I found it hard to want to explore in WoW, since almost every step you make lands you in combat. You're too busy fighting off agroing creatures, that you rarely have time to enjoy the vistas the game has to offer. You have to enjoy the vistas in 3-5 min doses, because you'll have to keep clearing the area of mobs. Games like Vanguard are much more suited for exploration, because you can explore a great deal of terrain without engaging in combat.

So while I liked WoW, there are some reasons why people may like other games or even dislike or hate WoW.

• mrroboto40mrroboto40 Member UncommonPosts: 657

I must admit that I am a fan of Blizzard games period, I'm not a huge fan of Activision but whatever.

I'm also downloading World of Warcraft again because I bought it for $5 again, because I sell my account every time I quit because I make about $50 that way without even having to pay for 1 month of time.

Let's hope the new addition of Icecrown will tie me over until Cataclysm/SW:TOR/FFIV/Diablo 3/Starcraft 2/God of War 3/Dante's Inferno and perhaps TOR even though I know that it will most likely be a fail (we shall decide in open beta, if it really is an open beta).