Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Let's please understand, this is *not* a beta...

HerculesSASHerculesSAS Member Posts: 1,272

Just had to mention, just *because* SV says it's a beta, does not quantify it as a beta. A beta is by definition, feature complete.

As of the other day, Emil Jones posted that he's 'completing a feature' meaning, that it's still being coded. They are going to ship it part of production with only the testing he's doing at his desk or a few other internal testers. This is what is done in alpha, separate systems are tested independently.

I'll wait for the fanboys to descend on this thread, but the simple fact is a lot of the folks who feel screwed over are those who thought they'd be playing a BETA (myself included), not a pre-alpha.

That's it folks, back to work for me. Ciao.

Comments

• FariicFariic Member Posts: 1,546

You're a bitter troll.

Beta.

Tested by the public.

Alpha

tested  internally.

From getting your panties in a bunch because SV wouldn't let you set up the beta forums, to leaking beta videos and getting banned from the official forums, and now steadilly trolling as much negativety as you can.

You've really turned into a hell of a douchebag.

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Originally posted by Fariic

You're a bitter troll.
    Beta.

Tested by the public.
    Alpha

tested  internally.
    From getting your panties in a bunch because SV wouldn't let you set up the beta forums, to leaking beta videos and getting banned from the official forums, and now steadilly trolling as much negativety as you can.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beta_(software)

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• Demz2Demz2 Member Posts: 435

I was in warhammer beta for near;y 2 years, aoc beta for 1 year and Tcos beta for 2+ years, and in no way did those betas represent the finished product.  So wtf are u babling on about, you think betas are feature complete???LOL.

Jesus if it were not for beta testing in warhamemr they would not even have fortreses to fight at, everythign would be inscenarios.  You think MO beta is supposed to be feature complete??  get a bloody grip please.

• ozy1ozy1 Member Posts: 309

this the guy that got banned ?

Playing Darkfall EU1 Server

• BrifBrif Member UncommonPosts: 529
    Originally posted by xpiher

You're a bitter troll.
    Beta.

Tested by the public.
    Alpha

tested  internally.

"Beta level software generally includes all features, but may also include known issues and bugs of a less serious variety."

• RealmLordsRealmLords Member Posts: 358

So did they push back release?

It still says 2009 here on MMORPG.com's game list.

Ken

www.ActionMMORPG.com
    One man, a small pile of money, and the screwball idea of a DIY Indie MMORPG? Yep, that's him. ~sigh~

• FreddyNoNoseFreddyNoNose Member Posts: 1,558
    Originally posted by HerculesSAS

Just had to mention, just *because* SV says it's a beta, does not quantify it as a beta. A beta is by definition, feature complete.

As of the other day, Emil Jones posted that he's 'completing a feature' meaning, that it's still being coded. They are going to ship it part of production with only the testing he's doing at his desk or a few other internal testers. This is what is done in alpha, separate systems are tested independently.

I'll wait for the fanboys to descend on this thread, but the simple fact is a lot of the folks who feel screwed over are those who thought they'd be playing a BETA (myself included), not a pre-alpha.

Feature complete. lol.

• apple01apple01 Member Posts: 46
    Originally posted by Brif

Originally posted by xpiher

You're a bitter troll.
    Beta.

Tested by the public.
    Alpha

tested  internally.

"Beta level software generally includes all features, but may also include known issues and bugs of a less serious variety."

Wikipedia is by no means official. Basically, software development go through different stages, traditionally called alpha and beta. Usually alpha is internal test stage and beta is released to a collection of selected final users, usually with full features implemented. There is no official definitions how a software must go through. All software companies choose their own most proper ways to doing test. It is a beta because it is not alfa and it is not released yet, before, of course maybe in the future, the governement standard body decides to define beta and send the police to close the company if it choose a different definition.   

• apple01apple01 Member Posts: 46

I am too worried about Hercules mental stability. He has been angry about Star Vault for quite a long time since they turned down his proposal to remake their forums. What could happen if he is fired by his employer, since he is coding financial software? I hope he is not working for a big bank. He may cause next financial crisis. 

• ghoul31ghoul31 Member Posts: 1,955

He makes a valid point. Its still in alpha stage according to most people's defination. But all the fanbois do is make personal attacks against him. I guess the truth hurts.

• kriebloodkrieblood Member Posts: 223

Ill just reply by image cuz i dont feel like talking to you.

You need picture books anyway to understand things i see so heres your picture.

Mortal Online/EarthRise/Project V13
    TheVindicators.com

• kriebloodkrieblood Member Posts: 223
    Originally posted by ghoul31

He makes a valid point. Its still in alpha stage according to most people's defination. But all the fanbois do is make personal attacks against him. I guess the truth hurts.

No im sure your a troll to.

Mortal Online/EarthRise/Project V13
    TheVindicators.com

• mokoleusmokoleus Member Posts: 142

betas are feature complete? maybe in any other genre of game, but in a mmo, they don't LAUNCH feature complete!

• ibanz85ibanz85 Member Posts: 75
    Originally posted by ozy1

this the guy that got banned ?

Yea, Hercules was banned from both the game and  forums for breaking the NDA and leaking.   He also had an account on this forum called MOLeaker.  His history is he went and set up his own "beta forum" for StarVault.   They told him no and after that it has been his lifes mission to slam anything he can that he can.     At least his opinions on the forum changed immediately after.  I believe ive even heard him say he cant wait until Mortal Online fails so he can come back and laugh.    

• ozy1ozy1 Member Posts: 309

arr hes butt hurt...

Playing Darkfall EU1 Server

• WhackANewbieWhackANewbie Member Posts: 225

i already made a character with your name so when Mortal Online is finally done you can't take it, so ha! go complain about something meaningful in -real- life.

• donjuanamigodonjuanamigo Member Posts: 256

ok so its not a beta. what are you going to do now? really, what are you going to do? theres nothing you can do. you can either participate and help the game move along by providing constructive criticism from your experience or just shut up and crawl back under whatever rock you crawled out from under.

i have some interest in this game but all i keep reading is the pissing and moaning people are doing about having to pay to play beta etc. If im not mistaken, and someone can correct me if im wrong, SV said what the state of the game was in before they sold boxes and how they were going to implement those stages as they got things working.  every post i read about people crying about this subject makes me want to puke.

• tboxtbox Member Posts: 372

I have not bought or nor am i in beta  with this game.  That being said Star Vault in their news letters seem to be pretty blunt and honest with their progress.  Beta seems to spam a whole spectrim of completeness.   They said if you pre order you would be paying to beta test did they not?   I seen way more bullshit and overexerations in many other MMO's (DF)  that  Mortal online devs seem pretty blunt and straight  forward. Dunno just my thoughts with what I have experanced. 

• TheConfinedTheConfined Member Posts: 46

how the fuck can you give your thoughts about your experiences when you just admitted you haven't even played the fucking game yet...how do people get this god damn retarded I simply don't get it

how have you seen more bullshit from other MMO's when you haven't even seen the bullshit that Mortal Online certainly is...the game is absolute garbage and never in my life have I seen such an incomplete game so close to a supposed release

He was talking about developer communication and honesty it seems.    I see no response about the game itself just how the developers are treating its community.    This is something Aventurine will most likely never regain for most who wasted money on their game.    I feel sv is on the correct track here but I will run down what I have witnessed. 

So far StarVault has told us the beta would be a rough and bumpy ride.   

Material would be given to us in stages.

The NDA was lifted at least 1 month before launch which is awesome.  

There will be an open beta a few weeks before launch.  

In all honesty the devs have been really really good to the community I feel.   Im sorry if your not happy about the current state of the beta as I am in the same boat as you.   I feel its quite incomplete  right now but will reserve my  judgment until I see the actual release version.   Contraversely,  I  have guild friends who say they love the current game as is and think it has all the right elements at this stage.      I still feel its a wait and see thing.    Hopefully the next few patches will add in all the missing content but Im not going to hold my breath.

• Lord_IxiganLord_Ixigan Member Posts: 548
    Originally posted by donjuanamigo

ok so its not a beta. what are you going to do now? really, what are you going to do? theres nothing you can do. you can either participate and help the game move along by providing constructive criticism from your experience or just shut up and crawl back under whatever rock you crawled out from under.
    i have some interest in this game but all i keep reading is the pissing and moaning people are doing about having to pay to play beta etc. If im not mistaken, and someone can correct me if im wrong, SV said what the state of the game was in before they sold boxes and how they were going to implement those stages as they got things working.  every post i read about people crying about this subject makes me want to puke.

Thank you and you are remembering quite correctly.

SV never said the beta was feature complete. In fact, they said quite the opposite by even POSTING EXACTLY WHAT VERSION THE GAME WAS IN AT THE TIME AND WHAT WAS IMPLEMENTED.

Every update has also been posted on the forums and they FULLY LAID OUT THEIR PLAN OF IMPLEMENTATION OF FEATURES TO THE BETA BEFORE BOXES WENT ON SALE.

People who are bitching about anything SV has done are purely nit-picking because they have absolutely nothing better to do. And Hercules is just butthurt because they wouldn't let him take over their beta forums and then they banned him for breaking the NDA.

There is no literal definition of what a beta is in the gaming industry. Nor is there a definition of what an alpha is. By what Hercules is saying then every MMO that has plans when they go 'retail' to later implement more features is still in alpha. WoW released with missing stuff, guess that was and still is in alpha. Warhammer released with a bunch of missing stuff, guess that's still in alpha too. AoC released missing features, still in alpha aparantly, might want to go tell somebody.

• Lord_IxiganLord_Ixigan Member Posts: 548
    Originally posted by ibanz85

He was talking about developer communication and honesty it seems.    I see no response about the game itself just how the developers are treating its community.    This is something Aventurine will most likely never regain for most who wasted money on their game.    I feel sv is on the correct track here but I will run down what I have witnessed. 
     In all honesty the devs have been really really good to the community I feel.   Im sorry if your not happy about the current state of the beta as I am in the same boat as you.   I feel its quite incomplete  right now but will reserve my  judgment until I see the actual release version.   Contraversely,  I  have guild friends who say they love the current game as is and think it has all the right elements at this stage.      I still feel its a wait and see thing.    Hopefully the next few patches will add in all the missing content but Im not going to hold my breath.

Also keep in mind the complete features that MO plans to have implemented for release. The chances are very good what you've been told by other people and/or have built up in your head and what SV has said are two completely different lists. Everything SV wants to have ready for the release of MO is NOT a dream list of features that has everything. I see this as a good thing since it means SV is one of the few devs out there that has a realistic idea of what they can handle. I would rather have the still impressive list they have given be ready to go than have them try to do literally everything and fail at it.

I'm still waiting to see how MO will pan out after release. If things are looking good by around week five then I may decide to step in.

Originally posted by Lord_Ixigan

Originally posted by ibanz85

Also keep in mind the complete features that MO plseans to have implemented for release. The chances are very good what you've been told by other people and/or have built up in your head and what SV has said are two completely different lists. Everything SV wants to have ready for the release of MO is NOT a dream list of features that has everything. I see this as a good thing since it means SV is one of the few devs out there that has a realistic idea of what they can handle. I would rather have the still impressive list they have given be ready to go than have them try to do literally everything and fail at it.

I'm still waiting to see how MO will pan out after release. If things are looking good by around week five then I may decide to step in.

Ive tried to keep realistic expectations as I have been very disappointed by several recent MMO's.      I will admit SV has some excellent ideas and perhaps IMO some of the best of the sandbox market.     Based on their announcements of what they hope to achieve at launch, I am currently ll missing perhaps 40%+ of the world.     We have a severly limited selection mobs, skills and lots of temporary systemsin many areas.    Lets not also forget the limited armor/weapon models.    The company made themself a very FULL plate for this schedule.     IMO the game requires miracle patches or 5 months of further work to be a marketable game.       I hope they can pull this off but I really have my doubts from what I have seen currently implimented.       I hope you can appreciate my opinion.       I would certainly be happy if I could find a decent fantasy sandbox.

• peteski123peteski123 Member UncommonPosts: 447

Beta, Alpha. They can each go on for years. who cares

• HodoHodo Member Posts: 542

Somebody still realling from the ban-hammer slapping for leaking beta footage.....

Ahh... nerd rage.

So much crap, so little quality.