Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

More Server Transfers for WAR

www.warherald.com/warherald/NewsOverview.war

Players on PT and DC will be able to transfer to more populated servers on December 2nd.

Phoenix Throne will be able to transfer to either Iron Rock OR Badlands

Dark Crag will be able to transfer to either Gorfang OR Volkmar

In order to welcome all of our players to their new homes we will be enabling a 20% bonus to experience and renown during the weeks following the open character transfers.

This was a long time coming.  I renewed a month ago and PT was a graveyard, so this is good news for them to be able to move their characters to a more populated server.  On the other hand this effectively kills 2 more servers, including the only rp server.

I think the few remaining players will enjoy the increased pops, but this won't save the game or bring in new blood.

Comments

• NewhopesNewhopes Member Posts: 458

Thats 2 more down just 4 more to go.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

jeez, whats doe sthat bring em down to, like 3 or 4 servers for the US? hell i even considered checking the game out again with the unlimited trial going on, i tried it twice in the past for several months each, but seeing this just kills any hope i ha dthat the game might be able to at least stay somewhat stable population wise with some recent improvements. Looks like its still continuing to die out with each passing month.

• augustgraceaugustgrace Member UncommonPosts: 628

WAR has now fallen to rank 63 on xfire.  That is 8 spots behind AoC.  I think the lower sub rates have stabilized AoC.  If WAR would do a similar reduction of sub rates I'd be willing to give it another shot.  WAR isn't a bad game when there is a decent population, but it isn't worth $15/month.

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

I'm playing a trial myself, and the game is still Beta quality at best. It's better than it was at release, but it is still very sloppy. I would be ashamed to show it to friends as a game I play a lot.

It's dead, Jim, and despite some very good features, it deserved to die.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

So since EA owns Mythic and Bioware...

Anyone think they might try a "Sub to War for three months, get a spot in closed beta for tor"..?

• EuphorykEuphoryk Member Posts: 450
    Originally posted by Swanea

Anyone think they might try a "Sub to War for three months, get a spot in closed beta for tor"..?

Hell will freeze over before that happens, mark my words.

• EttirxaEttirxa Member Posts: 93
    Originally posted by Euphoryk

Originally posted by Swanea

Hell will freeze over before that happens, mark my words.

EA would never be that generous :P

• metalhead980metalhead980 Member Posts: 2,658

I could see it now WAR will have three servers worldwide, one for each rule set.

They will stuff WAR servers into a dark little corner of a bioware server room and pay two devs to bug fix and balance for the next few years. Keeping the game running for a steady stream of revenue since around 20-30k players will still play the game.

This is what I call MMO death row. AO and DAoC are similar.

PLaying: EvE, Ryzom

Waiting For: Earthrise, Perpetuum

• coffeecoffee Member Posts: 2,007

Love the way they never mention "closing" or "low population" in the statement.

WAR should of been good but.. well we all know.

• ZartanyenZartanyen Member Posts: 72

All they will have left is core servers DC was the PVP server and PT was the RP server.

• sevitothsevitoth Member UncommonPosts: 375
    Originally posted by metalhead980

I could see it now WAR will have three servers worldwide, one for each rule set.
    They will stuff WAR servers into a dark little corner of a bioware server room and pay two devs to bug fix and balance for the next few years. Keeping the game running for a steady stream of revenue since around 20-30k players will still play the game.
    This is what I call MMO death row. AO and DAoC are similar.

I  love this idea.

Step 2 would be to reassign the rest of the devs to the DAOC team. Upgrade the graphics of DAOC, and release some new content. Release the long talked about Origins server.

Currently Playing: DAOC Uthgard

Previously Played: UO, DAOC, Shadowbane, AC2, SWG, Horizons, COX, WOW, EQ2, LOTRO, AOC, WAR, Vanguard, Rift, SWTOR, ESO, GW2.

• LustmordLustmord Member UncommonPosts: 1,114

I only need to play on 1 server to have fun.

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056
    Originally posted by Lustmord

I only need to play on 1 server to have fun.

You remind me of the guy who - as he fell from the top of a skyscraper, yelled 1/2 way down "so far so good".

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• PlaidpantsPlaidpants Member UncommonPosts: 267

Except for the fact that he's right - WAR might as well merge every NA server to 1 server - game will be more enjoyable for all considering population is the biggest issue for the game mechanics. But of course every single ex-WAR player or a fanboi of one of the numerous other POS mmorpg's on the market would say it was a sign that WAR is about to die very, very soon.

• PheacePheace Member Posts: 2,408
    Originally posted by Plaidpants

Except for the fact that he's right - WAR might as well merge every NA server to 1 server - game will be more enjoyable for all considering population is the biggest issue for the game mechanics. But of course every single ex-WAR player or a fanboi of one of the numerous other POS mmorpg's on the market would say it was a sign that WAR is about to die very, very soon.

It would be. If a server could've held 4 times the people a server has held so far they would have done so. The server pops have always been on the low side for what the world could actually support. There's always been too many areas where people felt there were too few people. The server or it's coding simply can't support what the world was needing. That's one of the reasons you heard people complaining about pops so quickly (ignoring balance) when a server wasn't high/full.

So yes, a single server now would be a sign of a dying game. But then the game *has* been dying, and even though every game when it releases *is* in fact dying just like every person is dying from birth, for WAR it has been very clear that it has been losing it's population ever since the game came out. It hasn't stabilized *at all*, it's just been eating away at it's own population for over a year now.

If WAR goes down to 1 server now, it's not because a server can magically hold 4 times the number of people. It's because there's simply not enough people left to stress a single server to max, and that's unlikely going to be any more (at it's very best!) than maybe twice what a server till now would've been at full. It's simply technically not possible which has been very clear for Mythic from the beginning.

• FreddyNoNoseFreddyNoNose Member Posts: 1,558

Where is Mark Jacobs now?

Originally posted by Pheace

It would be. If a server could've held 4 times the people a server has held so far they would have done so. The server pops have always been on the low side for what the world could actually support. There's always been too many areas where people felt there were too few people. The server or it's coding simply can't support what the world was needing. That's one of the reasons you heard people complaining about pops so quickly (ignoring balance) when a server wasn't high/full.

So yes, a single server now would be a sign of a dying game. But then the game *has* been dying, and even though every game when it releases *is* in fact dying just like every person is dying from birth, for WAR it has been very clear that it has been losing it's population ever since the game came out. It hasn't stabilized *at all*, it's just been eating away at it's own population for over a year now.

If WAR goes down to 1 server now, it's not because a server can magically hold 4 times the number of people. It's because there's simply not enough people left to stress a single server to max, and that's unlikely going to be any more (at it's very best!) than maybe twice what a server till now would've been at full. It's simply technically not possible which has been very clear for Mythic from the beginning.

So you work for Mythic then, huh?

• NoobkilarNoobkilar Member Posts: 175

Review my posts, here and on WAR forums.....WAR will soon be part of SOE bah haha.

Ow I'm sorry. So you *are* claiming a server can suddenly magically hold 2-4 times the population then?

Ow I'm sorry. So you *are* claiming a server can suddenly magically hold 2-4 times the population then?

I don't believe I ever said that. But seem to know the current capacity of WAR's servers - so you must work for Mythic. If you're basing it off the low/medium/high at the server selection then that's a pretty dicey way to judge considering those are numbers can be changed at anytime to try to portray server population a different way. Who knows how many subs WAR has right now? Who knows how many would be on that 1 server? And who knows how many the server can hold - their servers could certainly hold a lot more than they could at release - that's for sure.

I easily agree they can hold more than they could at release, which is why I said it could even hold *maybe* 2x as much, but that's extremely pressing it. From obvious observation over the year WAR's servers at max have always had trouble with people in certain areas. It's exactly the reason forts were a problem for so long and got caps put on them. So yes, there's reasonable deduction on how much is viable for a server.

Do I think they have increased that since release? Yes, especially with the latest performance patch.

Do I believe that suddenly increased their possible server performance to over 2x the original servers could hold? No, not at all. That's not just based on observations on Mythic's server past but on observation of all MMO history. MMO's don't suddenly manage to double their possible server pop. No mmo has done that yet, let alone triple, quadruple it.

So yes, through reasonable deduction if you suddenly see Mythic go down to 1 server, it's not likely going to be due to some sudden amazing technical improvements that allow the server to hold much more people. It's going to be due to there simply not being enough people anymore to warrant having more than one server. (and yes that last server would probably have some more capacity than the first few servers will have had).

Do I know right now if the current servers don't even hold enough people to the point that they couldn't just use a single server? No i don't. But what's the point in that? If they don't that just supports the fact that they lost so, so many people.

I easily agree they can hold more than they could at release, which is why I said it could even hold *maybe* 2x as much, but that's extremely pressing it. From obvious observation over the year WAR's servers at max have always had trouble with people in certain areas. It's exactly the reason forts were a problem for so long and got caps put on them. So yes, there's reasonable deduction on how much is viable for a server.

Do I think they have increased that since release? Yes, especially with the latest performance patch.

Do I believe that suddenly increased their possible server performance to over 2x the original servers could hold? No, not at all. That's not just based on observations on Mythic's server past but on observation of all MMO history. MMO's don't suddenly manage to double their possible server pop. No mmo has done that yet, let alone triple, quadruple it.

So yes, through reasonable deduction if you suddenly see Mythic go down to 1 server, it's not likely going to be due to some sudden amazing technical improvements that allow the server to hold much more people. It's going to be due to there simply not being enough people anymore to warrant having more than one server. (and yes that last server would probably have some more capacity than the first few servers will have had).

Do I know right now if the current servers don't even hold enough people to the point that they couldn't just use a single server? No i don't. But what's the point in that? If they don't that just supports the fact that they lost so, so many people.

After the mergers/transfer - they still weren't/aren't at capacity - so it wouldn't indicate anything necessarily rather than they didn't do their job right in the first place with the mergers and had to correct it.

And the ideal  scenario is to have people spread out evenly among tiers and everyone fighting together to work towards T4 (which is obviously flawed since a majority will eventually hit cap and the middle tiers will be fairly empty compared to T1 and T4 unless there's constant alts being rerolled and new players joining). Where have WAR's servers ever been at max - just curious? Because you say when WAR's servers have been at it's max it's had trouble with people in certain areas. That's because everyone was in T4 crunched into 1 zone/fortress fight (and the performance has since drastically been improved there) - not because the server was maxed out or anywhere close to max necessarily. That's why they started to limit the amount of people in T4 that can engage in certain encounters. They want to have the action spread out. But - once again - for whatever reason (not enough pop/easier to find fights) it didn't go as planned and basically most people fight in the Empire vs. Chaos lands in all tiers rather than fighting in all 3 lands at the same time. Yeah - they likely cannot hold all the NA population onto one server if that trend continues with the game of sardines being playing in Empire/Chaos rather than spilling over to both of the other zones.

Those are exactly the limitations that apply though, the ones you're talking about.

It's not whether you can stuff 4x as many people on a server. Of course you could. But if the server can't handle it when those people decide to converge on a certain point, *especially* when the game is built to encourage that, it's a limitation of the server, pure and simple.

• NirwylNirwyl Member Posts: 103

Shame WAR is dying. I really quite enjoyed the RvR in it, most enjoyable MMO in recent years. Only problem was the bugs. Can't play/enjoy a game when you crash randomly all the time. Got so bad at one point I'd crash every 5 minutes.

• RaztorRaztor Member Posts: 670

All of WAR'S problems were detailed during it's BETA phase. Soon after released, after I along with 300k people quit it, it should've set alarm bells ringing at Mythic.  In all this time the 2 main issues still haven't been solved:

1. A PvP game with 2 factions, with 1 locked out of content while the other does a PVE encounter as endgame is just lunacy. Whoever came up with that ideally should never work in MMO's again. 

2. Game Engine and net code is not up to to modern standards. It's simply couldn't do what the devs were trying to achieve.

To go from 1.2 Million copies sold to retailers, starting out from 800k subs to now having 3 servers. That's the price you pay for incompetence. When I quit I made a post that this game would be closed down by this Christmas period. I wasn't too far off with that prediction.

RIP WAR