Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GA Pricing (choice to sub)

epicorepicor Member Posts: 60

http://kotaku.com/5385996/global-agenda-two-ways-to-pay-two-ways-to-play

You can read the whole article, but the bottom line is you get the choice if you want to sub or not.  If not, you get all the arena style combat you would get from TF2.  Push the cart, ctf, deathmatch, push, and CP maps.  Plus you get to have a persistant character.  If you DO sub, you get access to all the super-hawt alliance v alliance world altering awsomeness.

Comments

• DouhkDouhk Member Posts: 1,019

Very smart move on their part. Now I've regained partial interest. While I highly doubt I'd be willing to pay $12 / month for essentially having a minor effect on the persistent world, I can at least look at what I get with just the box and be pleased with that. It seems that a lot of these "FPSMMO" 's that are coming out recently (Crimecraft, APB, and now GA) are getting the idea that there's essentially not enough to be charging $15 bucks / month. Maybe for $12 / month I'd be willing to pay for it, but we'll see. It was a good idea to give players a choice... now we'll just see how successful / popular their monthly fees are in comparison to those that simply buy the box and if they decide to stick with it.

image If only SW:TOR could be this epic...

• EneldinEneldin Member Posts: 27
    Originally posted by Douhk

Very smart move on their part. Now I've regained partial interest. While I highly doubt I'd be willing to pay $12 / month for essentially having a minor effect on the persistent world, I can at least look at what I get with just the box and be pleased with that. It seems that a lot of these "FPSMMO" 's that are coming out recently (Crimecraft, APB, and now GA) are getting the idea that there's essentially not enough to be charging $15 bucks / month. Maybe for $12 / month I'd be willing to pay for it, but we'll see. It was a good idea to give players a choice... now we'll just see how successful / popular their monthly fees are in comparison to those that simply buy the box and if they decide to stick with it.

Your logic is pretty fail.  They will own all of the servers and push out new content.  Those two reasons are why subs are worth it.  If they didn't have subs they shouldn't have their own servers either, and just let players host their own dedicated servers.

Also, if you really think $12 a month is affordable but $15 isn't, you probably shouldn't be playing p2p MMOs.

• pingopingo Member UncommonPosts: 608
    Originally posted by Eneldin

Originally posted by Douhk

Your logic is pretty fail.  They will own all of the servers and push out new content.  Those two reasons are why subs are worth it.  If they didn't have subs they shouldn't have their own servers either, and just let players host their own dedicated servers.

Also, if you really think $12 a month is affordable but $15 isn't, you probably shouldn't be playing p2p MMOs.

Chill?

there can be other reasons for not having player host their own servers. the thinks they are doing with agency vs agency guild war doesnt sound easy to implant for player hosting.

• epicorepicor Member Posts: 60

there would be no way to do ava w/o internal servers.  How would the world be the same from server to server?  How could you trust any data coming from an external server?  The logistics just don't work.

Just trust me when I say that the gameplay is fun enough for you to pick it up if you like shooters.  Even if you don't sub you will get something different from MW or tf2.

• DavrynDavryn Member Posts: 39

Interview on the pricing structure here: www.tentonhammer.com/node/75772

• DerrialDerrial Member Posts: 250

Cost will be $12.99/mo, unless you buy in multiple month packages, then it can be as low as $9.99/mo for 6 months.

Your logic is pretty fail. They will own all of the servers and push out new content. Those two reasons are why subs are worth it. If they didn't have subs they shouldn't have their own servers either, and just let players host their own dedicated servers.

It's not a question of affordability, it's a question of value. If all you get for $12.99/mo is servers and occasionally new content, it's not worth it. A lot of companies with FPS games set up a few of their own servers for online play and provide free content (i.e. Team Fortress 2).

Having said that, there's more in the subscription package than that such as the alliance vs alliance (guild vs guild) world domination game/territory control game, item crafting, auction house, and character customizations. That might be worth the sub fee.

I like that I'll be able to play the game as a stand-alone game before deciding if I want to subscribe.

• KlaskKlask Member Posts: 8

So if I'm understanding this correcly, if you want to be in a guild that plays for control you have to sub?

If so, then most MMO players are going to sub, which some of you have already realized was great marketing by the GA team.

The game looks pretty cool so far and I, personally, don't think I would get it unless I was going to sub

• tboxtbox Member Posts: 372

I think its a good in between. Although I would prefer private hosting for non subscribers and level mod tools. Use them for unranked or unstat tracked matches. So in a sense the game could be two games in one or not depending if you subscribe or not.  I am sure Hi Rez server only  games would be harder to cheat on or stat pad so there is definately some advantages to this setup.  

I am going to wait for open beta, if they have it, before I decide to play the game. 

If i remember correctly there was somone who got permission to try and cheat on the beta weekends.  Not sure if anything came up it, but from what i've seen there havnt been any obvious aimbots or anything, which is surprising since the Unreal3 engine is so prolific. You'd think there would be a ton of aimbots etc. out there for it.

Again, not 100% sure, but I'm relatively sure that the anti-cheat is homemade, so its not some openly available standard like VAC (though since steam is distributing GA, that is in option).

• freejackmackfreejackmack Member Posts: 378
    Originally posted by Davryn

Interview on the pricing structure here: www.tentonhammer.com/node/75772

I got to say that is a really nice payment plan option built in.

• spLaggerspLagger Member UncommonPosts: 130

I like this model also. I'm surprised at how many people still get annoyed with the idea that someone can pay a monthly subscription and get more. I just can't wait for this to come out already. Especially since huxley just doesn't sound like it's going to come out. ever.

• TJourneyTJourney Member Posts: 6

I know I'm a total fanboy at this point, but the Global Agenda payment plan is a great idea. While players like myself will be able to pay a monthly fee for the MMO elements, many players will choose to abstain from paying the monthly fee and will enjoy the game as they would CounterStrike or Team Fortress 2.

As a beta tester, the game is already easily worth a one-time $50 payment to play like any other online shooter.

I also believe that the game's growth and population will only benefit due to the nature of players still being able to play if they cancel their accounts.

hey! TJ finally makes his way over to mmorpg.   

• kdangeluskdangelus Member Posts: 2

I have to say I am definately rdy for GA to come out but with this price model they are doing is going to help me out next year when I start college and have to be cheap on games.

• KreepedKreeped Member Posts: 24

It definately is sometimes hard waiting for the next beta phase :)

www.CyberneticPunks.com
    Hardcore Gaming Community

• gameryamengameryamen Member Posts: 3

I'm interested to see weather other MMOs launch a price structure like this. Or if shooter franchises pick up on this idea of expanded online play.

Hey yaman. ltns.  Yeah i dont know about that.  There is a lot of sceptasism (that cant be spelled right) because of the HG:L incident.  But there is a monumental difference between GA and HGL:  both beta communities know/knew pre-launch about the pricing structure, but HGL's community was SCREAMING for a change that never came.  GA seems to be built in such a way that the split structure works well. 

• ibanz85ibanz85 Member Posts: 75

Its a bit pricy for server usage but if they can manage to keep exploiters/hackers off the servers it will be worth it IMO.    

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

I would be more concerned if the game is actually good because if not then who cares what model they choose, not many will play.

is this game out yet.... Almost December...

• gameryamengameryamen Member Posts: 3

They pushed release back to Q1 2010.

dang, oh well, better polished and late than buggy and early