Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My impressions

YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Since the NDA has now been lifted I can tell you the little experience I had in the game.

I really did not want to beta test it but I got that as a bonus so as such I havent spent much time in the game. But the time I spend I was not impressed. Here is why:

1. Gfx is no good. Surprising seeing as the trailer they showed was so good but I dont know where the trailer was from. In game the models are ugly and the animations are quite bad. It is actually quite similar to Darkfall in this regard. Also the landscape is quite bleh, nothing special. The only things I liked was the water and skies, everything else felt like a 5 year old 3D game. Also there seemed to be very little customization of your character. Forget about how you can look like a fatsow or a body builder, everyone seem to have the same average build but with different heights.
  2. Sound is worse, crappy sound fx with zero feel to them.
  3. Combat, the little I saw was about swinging your weapon by holding your mouse button down and releasing. Boring and repetetive. Hopefully at higher levels there are special moves and such you can perform but right now is terrible.
  4. Magic requires reagents and I dont have a clue where to get that so I cant comment on it. 
  5. No tutorial or anything to get you started. Hopefully this will come later but this is specially important for a sandbox game as the devs of Fallen Earth realised. In MO you are just thrown out, completely naked with no clue where to go and what to do.
  6. Clunky UI. If you have played Darkfall Mortal Online feels the same. Probably a reason is that they force you in 1st person view.

Hopefully some of these will be fixed by launch but from what I saw right now I strongly regret preordering it. It feels like Darkfall all over again. Which is a shame because I like to play sandbox over themepark but that does not mean that other features can be lacking.

Comments

• davidemodavidemo Member Posts: 20

I hope you are kidding :-S

1) the graphic is good. You can't set it now to max, it's all to mid

2)SOund is really cool. YOu hear all and the music is awseome!

3) lol, what game did you play? :-S

4)Ask in the beta forum or beta irc :-S

5) lol, it's a beta, we don't need a tutorial in game. Read the official beta forum for a tutorial (here is the official tutorial www.mortalonline.com/files/beta/MO-Quick_guide_0_7.rtf )

6) UI is a little bad :-S

• iZakaroNiZakaroN Member UncommonPosts: 719

There are one ugly model :P

Maybe the only point I can accept is about UI that need much improvement, that hopefully will come soon. Especially combat is really realistic and impressive, maybe just need to be a bit more responsive.

Where themepark games try to hide that they are copying WOW, games like Mortal Online and Darkfall make no attempt to hide their inspiration
    ______\m/_____
    LordOfDarkDesire
  • YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by iZakaroN

Maybe the only point I can accept is about UI that need much improvement, that hopefully will come soon. Especially combat is really realistic and impressive, maybe just need to be a bit more responsive.

You think that model looks good for a game being released in 2009/2010?

Even so, static pictures is something but models move as well and that is where it falls apart from me. Movement does not look natural, at all.

And realistic is not a feature I appreciate in a game. If I want realism, I turn of the computer and step outside. I want games to be fun, not realistic.

• davidemodavidemo Member Posts: 20
    Originally posted by Yamota

Originally posted by iZakaroN

You think that model looks good for a game being released in 2009/2010?

Even so, static pictures is something but models move as well and that is where it falls apart from me. Movement does not look natural, at all.

And realistic is not a feature I appreciate in a game. If I want realism, I turn of the computer and step outside. I want games to be fun, not realistic.

you never playid darkfall? eh?

I have playd ugliest game than mortal in 2009 :-P

• FariicFariic Member Posts: 1,546

Hopefully some of these will be fixed by launch but from what I saw right now I strongly regret preordering it. It feels like Darkfall all over again. Which is a shame because I like to play sandbox over themepark but that does not mean that other features can be lacking.

From you posting history I'm guessing that you're looking for the next Asheron's Call.

You didn't like Eve. 

You didn't like Darkfall.

You don't like PvE.

I'm guessing you didn't play UO.

I'm basing that off the comment about reagents.

Other then AC, what sandbox MMO have you found worthy?

• jango1337jango1337 Member Posts: 217

ya too bad DF makes up for it in awesome gameplay with epic battles and great combat too bad MO is still unplayable and they lifted the NDA way too soon

• downtoearthdowntoearth Member Posts: 3,558
    Originally posted by jango1337

ya too bad DF makes up for it in awesome gameplay with epic battles and great combat too bad MO is still unplayable and they lifted the NDA way too soon

shows they have nothing to hide in my eyes. yea mo needs more work but we still have 2 big patches coming at least. but i hoe theres at least 4 more patches 2 get soem stuff optimized even if it means delaying another month

• FlaringoFlaringo Member Posts: 83

Do you realize that there are certain limitations you are restricted by when making MMORPGs?

HEHEHEHE

• CronnixCronnix Member Posts: 22

1) Disagreed. The models are advanced and wellmade, however game lacks AA to make it look good.

2) Sound is annoying. Its often to loud, or totally lacking. However I do enjoy that they skipped making some soudntracks for areas and instead made natural sound.

3) Melee combat sure is boring, and yes, I did play MO. You click, you swing... The only challenges are not to miss sight of opponent, and not let him run away.

4) Did not test magic for the same reasons.

5) They did add tutorial now of basic controls.

6) UI does fail atm, however UI artist is aware of that and is working on making it better. I sure do hope it will improve ALOT, because it is far from user friendly now.

@ Flaringo

What limitations would apply to OP's criticism?

I suppose I should have specified  that. I was referring to the graphics.

HEHEHEHE

Originally posted by Flaringo

Considering its unreal engine 3, I think it is possible for them to pimp up the detail level of the graphics, the game currently looks way to plain. Such games as Aion were released lot earlier, yet have more advanced graphics even thou they do have a totally other style (More cartoonish). And even Aion is going to pimp their graphics up soon. But I guess it is not on MO's top priority atm to care about details. They also need to enable AntiAliasing for MO, without it edges looks horrible.

I agree however that mmo games have alot more restriction on graphics then single player.

Originally posted by Cronnix

Originally posted by Flaringo

Considering its unreal engine 3, I think it is possible for them to pimp up the detail level of the graphics, the game currently looks way to plain. Such games as Aion were released lot earlier, yet have more advanced graphics even thou they do have a totally other style (More cartoonish). And even Aion is going to pimp their graphics up soon. But I guess it is not on MO's top priority atm to care about details. They also need to enable AntiAliasing for MO, without it edges looks horrible.

I agree however that mmo games have alot more restriction on graphics then single player.

Game looks just like these videos when I'm playing.

Looks pretty good to me.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/260544/Great-Morin-Khur-Ridethrough-HQ.html

If I'm not mistaken, Aion uses zones. It's not a seamless, big world like MO, so there's going to be a lot more going on. There's also the fact that the team who worked on Aion was probably at least 5 times the size of SV.

I agree that it could look a lot better, and I'm also sure at one point it will. But right now, they just have to get the foundations of the game in and working, and then worry about how it looks. 

HEHEHEHE

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

But isnt MO still in beta?

It is supposed to be not done yet : )*

*I know, in a perfect world beta means it is ready. But not in our world.

Originally posted by Fariic

Looks pretty good to me.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/260544/Great-Morin-Khur-Ridethrough-HQ.html

I was talking about details. I duno about you, but when I see a forest made purely of same trees and grass, it feels unnatural to me. Same goes for the cities. Just grass and houses, no details. Graphics sure are decent, with good texture and good models but world is plain.

@Daarco

The game is supposed to release in a month, the beta excuse no longer works here kinda...

Looks pretty good to me.

I was talking about details. I duno about you, but when I see a forest made purely of same trees and grass, it feels unnatural to me. Same goes for the cities. Just grass and houses, no details. Graphics sure are decent, with good texture and good models but world is plain.

@Daarco

The game is supposed to release in a month, the beta excuse no longer works here kinda...

You're forgetting.

Harvestable plants.

They have plants that you can gather in and testing.

There may not be foilage because a part of what goes on the ground is the plants that you harvest.

Cities can be spruced up after release.

I'd rather have a city that works, then one that doesn't, but looks good.

Keep in mind. 

players are building houses all around the NPC towns.  What's more important? 

Polishing up a city,

Or optimizing them and the surrounding area to run correctly with a hundred player houses scattered around it?

And if NCsoft was funding these guys.

They'd have a lot more people working on the game, and able to make a fully fleshed out and polished MMO.

There's like 18 people at SV.  Working 12 hour days, 6 and 7 days a week.

You're forgetting.

Harvestable plants.

There may not be foilage because a part of what goes on the ground is the plants that you harvest.

Keep in mind. 

Polishing up a city,

Or optimizing them and the surrounding area to run correctly with a hundred player houses scattered around it?

They'd have a lot more people working on the game, and able to make a fully fleshed out and polished MMO.

Fariic, take no offence, but if you want me to fully read what you post, type normally without pressing enter after each third word. I will just say again: I am fully aware that details are not their top prio, however I am just discussing current result.

You're forgetting.

Harvestable plants.

Keep in mind. 

Polishing up a city,

Fariic, take no offence, but if you want me to fully read what you post, type normally without pressing enter after each third word. I will just say again: I am fully aware that details are not their top prio, however I am just discussing current result.

I'm gonna have to say no.

Sorry.

And it's actually shift+enter on these boards.

A series of drivels is easier to read then a long line of them.

A series of drivels is easier to read then a long line of them.

Maybe for you, but not for normal people ^^

As I said, if you care for me to reply, write normally, if you just type for the sake of typing.. please, continue. My last reply to your shift+enter :D

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

It feels like Darkfall all over again. Which is a shame because I like to play sandbox over themepark but that does not mean that other features can be lacking.

Yamota, it just seems that your a very clever DF hater, and have been for a while.  Is MO an opportunity to switch sites to another game to complain about?

Yamota, I'm curious to know which sandbox you have and are playing, and which you enjoyed the most.

• AbloecAbloec Member CommonPosts: 315

Yamato has been bitching about MO since july when he got into the game and found out it was an actual beta. I remember "debating" with him and he has always made me imagine an angry kid sitting at a computer.

Damnant quod non intellegunt
  • RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666

Since the NDA has now been lifted I can tell you the little experience I had in the game.
    I really did not want to beta test it but I got that as a bonus so as such I havent spent much time in the game. But the time I spend I was not impressed. Here is why:

Gfx is no good. Surprising seeing as the trailer they showed was so good but I dont know where the trailer was from. In game the models are ugly and the animations are quite bad. It is actually quite similar to Darkfall in this regard. Also the landscape is quite bleh, nothing special. The only things I liked was the water and skies, everything else felt like a 5 year old 3D game. Also there seemed to be very little customization of your character. Forget about how you can look like a fatsow or a body builder, everyone seem to have the same average build but with different heights.
    Sound is worse, crappy sound fx with zero feel to them.
    Combat, the little I saw was about swinging your weapon by holding your mouse button down and releasing. Boring and repetetive. Hopefully at higher levels there are special moves and such you can perform but right now is terrible.
    Magic requires reagents and I dont have a clue where to get that so I cant comment on it. 
    No tutorial or anything to get you started. Hopefully this will come later but this is specially important for a sandbox game as the devs of Fallen Earth realised. In MO you are just thrown out, completely naked with no clue where to go and what to do.
    Clunky UI. If you have played Darkfall Mortal Online feels the same. Probably a reason is that they force you in 1st person view.

1: Atleast, be glad that its not a cartoony shiny graphic like wow. Personally, i like those style of graphic and for a mmorpg, dont expect ps3 type of graphic.
    2: I dont even want to reply to that because i didnt really notice the sound problem myself.
    3: Ho, so Oblivion was boring and repetitive? Please, try trolling harder.
    4: ...
    5: I agree, but its just beta. Hopefully, they will add some beginning quests to help us getting started.
    6: It still beta so i have nothing to say about that.

Read in red.

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif