Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it just me?

hi hi. I dunno if it's just me but are MMORPG's getting a shorter life expectansy? I've played alot of MMORPG's and if anyone of you would like a list. here :P

World of Warcraft Final Beta :- played for about 2 weeks. got bored.

Final Fantasy 11 :- Over a month. played because i was competing on who would lvl faster to 40...lol..i quit at 20..he still plays

Everquest :- 5 minutes..What the fuck?!

City of Heroes Beta :- Near a week. got bored

Ragnarok Online :- a day or 2. bored

Ultima Online :- played for a few days..bored

Knight Online :- a day....jeezusimage

Lineage 2 Beta :- 2 days. leveling was annoyingimage

Myth of soma :- month..bored

Anarchy Online :- few days. boredimage

Risk Your Life :- a day or 2. got bored cause my mate quit lol

MU Online :- ............ image

Legend Of Mir (first MMORPG) :- about 3month. after that. got sick and movied on to the above

Now these played are all in the space of maybe 4 - 5 years...but i can never stick to one..they just get really crap after a while. it's like a song when you keep it on repeat. you get sick so you move on. I still haven't play a few i might try like SWG or the ones that aren't in beta yet like Vanguard. Guild Wars just looks total bollocks. So are MMORPG's getting more of a Graphic Stunt? rather than decent strong Gameplay? because it seems like it.

just thought I'de post to see if anyone feels the same way image

Comments

• methane47methane47 Member CommonPosts: 3,701

the wise man once said.. Maybe it is not the life that is boring. It is the Man.

I think you got to just lay off the speed and get to like a game :D
    ::::28::

What's your Wu Name?
    Donovan --> Wu Name = Violent Knight
    Methane47 --> Wu Name = Thunderous Leader
    "Some people call me the walking plank, 'cuz any where you go... Death is right behind you.."
    <i>ME<i>

• stone-seraphstone-seraph Member Posts: 376

for most games you might need to stay on for more than a few days to get to like it. but more and more i think the business is trying to make superflashy graphics when all they need is solid gameplay (or perhaps you just have ADD)

Make of it what you will.

• GameRater911GameRater911 Member Posts: 8

Originally posted by Jekuyo

hi hi. I dunno if it's just me but are MMORPG's getting a shorter life expectansy? I've played alot of MMORPG's and if anyone of you would like a list. here :P

World of Warcraft Final Beta :- played for about 2 weeks. got bored.

Final Fantasy 11 :- Over a month. played because i was competing on who would lvl faster to 40...lol..i quit at 20..he still plays

Everquest :- 5 minutes..What the fuck?!

City of Heroes Beta :- Near a week. got bored

Ragnarok Online :- a day or 2. bored

Ultima Online :- played for a few days..bored

Knight Online :- a day....jeezusimage

Lineage 2 Beta :- 2 days. leveling was annoyingimage

Myth of soma :- month..bored
    Anarchy Online :- few days. boredimage

Risk Your Life :- a day or 2. got bored cause my mate quit lol

MU Online :- ............ image

Legend Of Mir (first MMORPG) :- about 3month. after that. got sick and movied on to the above

Now these played are all in the space of maybe 4 - 5 years...but i can never stick to one..they just get really crap after a while. it's like a song when you keep it on repeat. you get sick so you move on. I still haven't play a few i might try like SWG or the ones that aren't in beta yet like Vanguard. Guild Wars just looks total bollocks. So are MMORPG's getting more of a Graphic Stunt? rather than decent strong Gameplay? because it seems like it.

just thought I'de post to see if anyone feels the same way image

Could be just you are one of those people who play MMORPG's for 16+ hours a day? (just a guess) and well, of course games when you just start off aren't supposed to be too great. 'Cause you don't know what to do. Play a game and stick with it for awhile, rather then go through like 10 mmorpgs a month. Stay one and play with it. Or live with the one's you already have; and learn to appriecate them more then you do.
  • JekuyoJekuyo Member Posts: 35

they just don't seem addictive as they used to be. it's more like a competition.

Originally posted by Jekuyo

they just don't seem addictive as they used to be. it's more like a competition.

lol i don't have the time to play 16 hours a day. maybe 2 hours one day. maybe 10 mins another. maybe 3 the next. hardly ever any more than 5 lol.
  • Iceman12321Iceman12321 Member Posts: 992

A game cannot be perfect you know...give it some slack, geez. maybe you've lost the "love" of MMORPGs?

Originally posted by Iceman12321

A game cannot be perfect you know...give it some slack, geez. maybe you've lost the "love" of MMORPGs?

maybe i have. but i doubt it. other wise i wouldn't try and find a better one than i am currently playing (if i am). gunna try SWG anyway :) heard it's a good game. fun.
  • Nimrod4154Nimrod4154 Member Posts: 864

Maybe you dont like MMORPGs?

i wouldn't even think about playing them if i didn't lol  and ADD? what are you on mate lol

• AldaronAldaron Member Posts: 1,048

Well...Might I just say. I am ADD. And I once played a game for 2 1/2 years 8+ hours a day. What was this game...

Asherons Call.

"Fear not death; for the sooner we die, the longer shall we be immortal."

• BambulBambul Member UncommonPosts: 49
    guess you lost it... i mean, lost the interest in games and should move onto something else, like paintball or skiing, or other real world stuff :-) give it a try, might be solution for you. in general agree with one of the posts above, it's not about boring life (game)...

--- Bambul's Signature ---

Originally posted by Bambul
    guess you lost it... i mean, lost the interest in games and should move onto something else, like paintball or skiing, or other real world stuff :-) give it a try, might be solution for you. in general agree with one of the posts above, it's not about boring life (gi doame)...

lol i do lots of other things. I Snowboard. which is the main thing in my life. then there's college. then work. then there's my outside social life. going to mates houses ect...but i only made this post to see if anyone felt the same or am i just some-one who needs a really Spontaneous game. i guess i am really. so thanks guys image
  • zoey121zoey121 Member Posts: 926

Jekuro,

Since you have tried so many perhaps you have come to see the similarites in most of them and that they are all very similar, from mobs, crafting or questing.

I would suggest you give the mmoprgs a break for a while, since you didn't stay with any (very long) and look at other possiblites.

Check out half price books in pc section, go on a hunt for Dungeon Sieze, Balders Gate, Never winter nights, perhaps these might be fun to you and replace the need to see what else is out there?

At any rate it would be a whole lot cheaper then 50 bucks down the drain??????

There might be the distant chance that you and mmorpgs in general are not a match thats ok too, lots and lots of other choices, there are lots of simulation games that are fun too........

• BigPeelerBigPeeler Member Posts: 1,270

To get straight to the point... short answer - it's just you. Well not really just you (as there are likely to be quite a few people like you) but rather your personallity. Many of the games you listen are considered the A-List games, and really I cant see any reason why you would only play them for a few days at a time...

Ultima Online?!

Everquest?!

World of Warcraft!?

those are THE mmorpg's... if one of the games you've mentioned can't satisfy you, then chances are none will. I suggest a genre change or something...

--------------------------------------

• AldaronAldaron Member Posts: 1,048
    Give it bout 5 years and come back. Maybe then everything won't be cookie cutter BS.

"Fear not death; for the sooner we die, the longer shall we be immortal."

• cedoricedori Member Posts: 500

Dunno, but a game is how one makes it to be.  Perhaps your expectations were too high on those games, and you thought they would be different.  Most are basically the same, just alittle variance and game style with a twist.  Sometimes we expect too much from a game, it is what we make of it, give a game a chance and try having fun with it and not just make it a level grinding game.  Its not always about being first to the top.

Cheers

• LILLIPPA328LILLIPPA328 Member Posts: 331

yea,its u

**Like to talk about Video Games?Go to Veiwers Pick Forums...

http://viewerspick.proboards35.com/index.cgi?

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

The more competition, the more likely the players are to move out.

MMORPGs evolve constantly, which mean an existing feature can be nerfed in a way or another with ''evolution'', any nerf can lead to leaving a game that is not anymore what you enjoy.  They tend to evolve faster and more then before, thereby they will aggro and nerf more peoples in a way or another.

Often they follow the same generals rules.  Exemple:  Everquest is more successfull, they change their existing game to be like EQ because they want more customers like EQ.  However, EQ customers(or potential customers(raid lovers for exemple) may move or not to that product or another clone, I dont know, but some of their player based which like the original features will leave with an awfull disgusted taste into the mouth.  So if market A have 1 million customer, Market B 600k and Market C 300k, you will have 10 MMORPG fighting for the market A and ignoring market B and C, been alone in Market B would probably be better then sharing Market A with 9 others.  Especially if you can find ways to interest market A without angering Market B at all(like raiding giving nothing but raid uberness, yet requiring no levels to be earn to join, a pure raiding system, would certainly appeal to some of Market A without affecting Market B).

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• Andy_FrenchAndy_French Member Posts: 6

No way man, I am in the exact same position... i've gone through nearly every MMORPG out there, minus a handful of 3rd party clones, and ive yet to find something that can hook me. Ever since playing Anarchy Online for nearly two years, ive never been able to stick with a game for much more than three months... and its really starting to get to me.

Luckily, theres some next generation titles that really sparked my interest. FOMK beta is alot of fun, but theres not enough people to unlock its true potential just yet (try open beta! you might like it).

Fallen Earth also looks amazing, I cant wait for that one! Another definite next-gen MMORPG

And then theres Neocron, which I always loved... I just wish it hadnt of ended up the way it did, or I would still be playing most likely.

Anyway, im just trying to say that youre by no means alone. Ive been playing em for just about as long as you have, and its definitely frustrating finding one to call home. In the mean time, I havnt been gaming at all either. Its horrible... havnt spent more than an hour with a game since Christmas, and ive been pretty busy and everything, but even those weekdays when ive got four or so hours to do nothing... I just sit around and read, or even worse, TALK ON AIM!

Dark days my friend, dark days.

• Nimrod4154Nimrod4154 Member Posts: 864

I have another few suggestions. Have you ever tried non-Mmorpg online games? If you are into FPSs id recomennd Counter Strike(1.6 not source). The main league is Caleague(www.caleague.com). There are different types of divisions for where you live and what your skill is. If you find a good clan, you usually practice and have matches. You also have scrims and most teams use Ventrilo for voice communication.

I mean youve probably heard of it but hey, you should really give it a try. Umm the only other things I can think of are Half life 2? Or pick up a guitar.::::20::

• CrackerCracker Member Posts: 54

I have to agree with you, Im getting bored more easily with mmorpgs. I played SWG for over a year and loved it. Quit for EQ2 and now Im bored. Are you more into game play or community. Because with me, if I dont have friends on, then I usually log. If thats the case with you then you have to play for longer than 2 days.

Good luck

• EPDJEPDJ Member Posts: 130

yeh honestly im in the same problem.... ive been playing mmorpgs for maybe 3 or 4 years... much longer for each than him.. for most.. some of the horrible ones didnt deserve the time...

but i honestly am sort of tired of level grinds in a lot of ways... just thinking about leveling for hours just makes me sick and want to play mmorpgs less...

im starting to think my only chance for rpgs is going back to super nintendo.... back to the classics...

sort of is a deppressing idea leaving mmorpgs...

• BendenBenden Member Posts: 103
    Almost same here. 1st mmorpg was AC beta in mid or late 1999.  Now the mmorpg I see seem dull. Allways the same thing. I'm waiting for those next generation mmorpg. Wait and see.
  • bobblerbobbler Member UncommonPosts: 810

Originally posted by Cracker
    I have to agree with you, Im getting bored more easily with mmorpgs. I played SWG for over a year and loved it. Quit for EQ2 and now Im bored. Are you more into game play or community. Because with me, if I dont have friends on, then I usually log. If thats the case with you then you have to play for longer than 2 days.Good luck

Heh thats hte same as me if no friends are on i log off >_>its depressing >_> well anyways i use to be always switching MMORPGs then i got hooked on SWG its a great game if you like to do crap without a girnd really....after playing lineage II for a bit ive come bac t oSWG and found out how fun it was being that there are no levels,no restrictions on when you can wear armor and what kind, thats you can make player cities and the community it great compared to most games.

weeey I'm not alone lol thought i was. was beginning to think it was me. but it might be in some cases but not all of them. I Just don't think MMORPG's have the same....RAAAWRHG as they used to. maybe I'm growing out of them but i doubt it, because if i want to buy a game, the first section i'de look under was MMORPG or just an RPG.

Anyway... like i said. gunna give SWG a shot. from what i hear it's pretty awesome. and i will promise...to my debit card.....and my parents', it'll be the last MMORPG i buy, for a few month.