Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What would be the ultimate Star Trek game?

ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Every Trek fan has their own concept of what the best Trek game would be. If there was a company that had an endless supply of money and was asking you what the game should be like, what would be your reply?

Mine would be game where you could choose between Federation, Klignon, Romulan,Cardassian, Dominion,Ferengi and Borg. The Federation,Klignons and Romulans would be allies based on the events of DS9 and Nemesis. The Cardassians would be looking for revenge against the Dominion and the Borg would be the big threat that is trying to take over everyone. The Ferengi would be the race you play if you like crafting and trading.  If you cross over into enemy territory you would be automatically flagged and  anyone could take a shot at you.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

Comments

• buegurbuegur Member UncommonPosts: 457

I would expand on the Cryptic vision by adding at least another side and have uncontested zones where combat can take place at any time.  I would also have objective points that once taken give the side some small advantages.  I would be sure to have plenty of non combat activities and cities/starbases with real purposes.  I do think there should be non combat type jobs and everyone can have both a combat and non-combat career.  Merchants and crafting/spying/smuggling/politics would play a major role.   There needs to be fully spec'ed space stations (DS9) and planets to explore and visit.  Ships should have decks to see and NPC's running about doing their jobs, make them interactive too! Exploration would have an effect on the territories and well being of empires.  planets discovered would have things you could do to help in their developement or conquest!  quests would be variable so we all don't end up doing the same ole ones over and over.  Would be nice if they could piggy back on the previous one. Federation would disappear in a cloud of disrupter fire from us Klingons!  LOL!

• CerionCerion Member Posts: 1,005

Well, since you ask...and given the qualifier of 'endless money' then here's what I would have them do:

Invest in advanced flash memory servers, perhaps even developing their own hardware to spec.

Then they would develop software technology that allowed the creation of complete virtual ship interiors. One could walk from the Bridge to the elevators, move to any deck, walk out and explore any room, down to the recruits latrine.  You could crawl through thousands of meters of jefferies tubes.

Of course with unlimited money, you'd hire thousands of programers working in parallel to accomplish this.

Then you'd have a virtual universe that created an explorable area limited only by the power of your warp drives.

Everything would be real time.

You'd have players occupy stations when they could, and for those stations that would not have people, computer controled AI NPCs would run them.

Quests would be written by the best of the tv and movie series writers, and the best Sci-Fi authors in the business. Their ideas would be implemented, no questions asked because you'd pump enough money into the project to solve those technical issues that arose.

Finally, you wouldn't worry about making a profit, because you have an unlimited supply of money.

I'd play that.

Games I'm watching: Infinity: The Quest for Earth, Force of Arms.

Find the Truth: http://www.factcheck.org/

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by Cerion

Well, since you ask...and given the qualifier of 'endless money' then here's what I would have them do:
    Invest in advanced flash memory servers, perhaps even developing their own hardware to spec.
    Then they would develop software technology that allowed the creation of complete virtual ship interiors. One could walk from the Bridge to the elevators, move to any deck, walk out and explore any room, down to the recruits latrine.  You could crawl through thousands of meters of jefferies tubes.
    Of course with unlimited money, you'd hire thousands of programers working in parallel to accomplish this.
    Then you'd have a virtual universe that created an explorable area limited only by the power of your warp drives.
    You'd have players occupy stations when they could, and for those stations that would not have people, computer controled AI NPCs would run them.
    Quests would be written by the best of the tv and movie series writers, and the best Sci-Fi authors in the business. Their ideas would be implemented, no questions asked because you'd pump enough money into the project to solve those technical issues that arose.
    Finally, you wouldn't worry about making a profit, because you have an unlimited supply of money.
    I'd play that.

So would many others. I think the only problem you would have is a new definition of"gaming addiction." ;)

• almerelalmerel Member UncommonPosts: 658

error my bad

-Almerel

Hello my old friend.

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096
    Originally posted by ktanner3

Mine would be game where you could choose between Federation, Klignon, Romulan,Cardassian, Dominion,Ferengi and Borg. The Federation,Klignons and Romulans would be allies based on the events of DS9 and Nemesis. The Cardassians would be looking for revenge against the Dominion and the Borg would be the big threat that is trying to take over everyone. The Ferengi would be the race you play if you like crafting and trading.  If you cross over into enemy territory you would be automatically flagged and  anyone could take a shot at you.

Its Klingon you dolt.

Remove your Avatar. You dont deserve to have it.

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

Originally posted by PyrateLV

Its Klingon you dolt.

That's a little harsh.  Speaking as someone who suffers from a bit of dyslexia myself, I transpose letters at times if I'm not careful. Doesn't mean I can't spell.

I'd play that.

So would many others. I think the only problem you would have is a new definition of"gaming addiction." ;)

Yep. heh.  I hesitated in posting this because I'm afraid some of the STO supporters will take away from this only that: "Trek fans want a Star Trek simulator."  That is why I stressed "Unlimited Funding".  Anyway, I don't want to derail this flight of fancy thread.

Carry on!

Originally posted by PyrateLV

Its Klingon you dolt.

You might be a Trekkie if.....

I'd play that.

Yep. heh.  I hesitated in posting this because I'm afraid some of the STO supporters will take away from this only that: "Trek fans want a Star Trek simulator."  That is why I stressed "Unlimited Funding".  Anyway, I don't want to derail this flight of fancy thread.

Carry on!

Since I specifically asked folks what their ultimate Star Trek game is, no one should be ripping on anything. Though I see the grammar police has already ripped into me over a spelling error. ;)