Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Server Clustering?

Sounds wonderful, but how will they solve the problem of duplicate player-names? that just have to be an issue....or will my fellow realmplayer se me like Norse Isen herra to? :)

Comments

• QuethelQuethel Member Posts: 19

I believe this was answered on a grab bag, but the solution seems to be to add the server name to a persons name. So I would be Quethel Damonesti of Morgan Le Fay, and somebody else would be XXX of Bors, etc.

The question they haven't answered is how they'll handle people with toons on different realms. For instance, nearly all my characters are on Hib/MLF, but I've got some others on Mid/Palomides.

• Qbic07Qbic07 Member Posts: 91
    Good point, the question is how they are gonna solve that.  Would be shitty having people log their Mid toon on one server to log their albs on another just to be able to win teh battle or vice versa for that matter.  Maybe they will introduce a certain amount of time in which one can use this server clustering.  For instance today I play my mid toon on server a but play together with mid toons of server b.  If I log onto my hib toons of server b to join the hibs of server a they could block that and make those Hib chars only available for pve or limited pvp.  Poeh I hope u guys got my point cos I am sure as hell not sure if I did image

• lgnkilgnki Member Posts: 66

I don't really think that's gonna be an issue because we don't even know if the rvr zones will be shared yet. This will be, as most things DAoC, determined by how the players deal with it.

-----------------------------------
    Playing: CoH
    Pondering: WoW
    Waiting for: DnL, GTA San Andreas PC, Guild Wars, Vanguard
    Retried: DAoC

Search Key: 84218

• TheGrimReapeTheGrimReape Member Posts: 63

we do know and they will be shared and there was something about adding server to name of a players.

• lgnkilgnki Member Posts: 66

Originally posted by TheGrimReape

we do know and they will be shared and there was something about adding server to name of a players.

If you can provide a link I will officially retract my current thoughts of you.

Playing: CoH, WoW
    Waiting for: DnL, GTA San Andreas PC, Guild Wars,
    Retried: DAoC

Search Key: 84218

• JulianDracosJulianDracos Member UncommonPosts: 1,528

Maybe because you aren't playing you are not keeping up on this, but you really should if you are going to posting becaue we would not want incorrect information out on the net::::39::

Anyway, the principle reason for server clustering was RvR. It has been stated many times by Mythic.

Here is the first one that I found that mentions the answers to the questions you said were not answered:

http://www.camelotherald.com/more/1860.shtml

• TheGrimReapeTheGrimReape Member Posts: 63

wer you talking about my info ( RVR share ) Julian ? cus im shure about that but i dont have link it have to be somwhere in camelotherald databse.

nevemind i just readed your link its same what he was asking about.

btw can somone tell me what servers are going to be clustered cus im starting to get feeling that it will be much interesting than playing on high pop. server.

Lgnki was claiming that RvR was not going to be merged or how they were going to handle character names.  He said he would retract his statement if a link was posted so I posted the link.  Just waiting for him to retract and appologize for spreading false information. 

They haven't posted on what the server clusters are going to be.  My guess is that they will keep all of the RP servers alone and Lancelot and Merlin.  Although I really wonder about Nimue.  The Co-op and PvP will have to be left alone.  The remaining servers will be in 3 clusters.  One will probably have 4 servers and the others will be a combination of 3.  Which ones I do not know, but that will give most clusters around 3000 people online most of the time. 

But then again they might need to decide the server clusters on more than just popualtion issues.  They might need to look at RvR.  Like make sure that they cluster the weaker Hib with a stronger Hib.  Something like that. 

• DulainDulain Member UncommonPosts: 616

I'm not too sure that I like the idea of server clustering. I just don't want to end up fighting against my own guild because I play on all three realms on different servers.

Will the /level bonus and free level bonus remain after they cluster the servers?

Server clustering is going to happen.  There are going to be problems with it, namely how to handle characters in other realms on other servers in the cluster.  If that is allowed, then why not allow it on the same server?

But in general is it far easier to do clustering that server merges.  In server merges you would have the same problem as two different realms on one server and name issues.  Then how would you handle housing?  Adding a huge amount of new zones?  People in front will now be someplace else and they would be upset.  Outside of clustering the only viable option would be to simply close servers and allow those players to move to other servers.  They would be able to keep their name if there was no conflict.  In case of a conflict the name would be changes to include their former server name.  Players would be able to change their names once they moved. 

The level command was added to 'reward' those who had a level 50 so I would expect that to stay.  The only possible change would be to remove the /lvl 30 and make it all 20.  Free levels were added to make the game more casual friendly and to help newer players to the game so I would expect that to stay.  However Mythic has made no comment about it.