Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Consoles never PC forever

Comments

• ThenariusThenarius Member Posts: 1,106
    Originally posted by metalhead980

Originally posted by Ceridith

but graphics aren't the end all be all of gaming. Last I checked, the gameplay is what determines if a game is fun or not.

Your right graphics dont matter. since gameplay is equal whats left? how about available games?

While PCs may have MMOs, Consoles have better action games and other exclusives.

I play both but going by availability consoles edge PCs and this is proven by the massive amount of people that prefer consoles over PC.

You know the casual gamers (the majority of gamers)

So really there's nothing left to discuss.

Really it is just personal preference, you're right. As I said earlier in the thread, PC gaming will still have it's place for a long time to come.

There is still more besides available games as well, which I noted earlier in mentioning that player mods are near non-existent in console games.

Take Half-life for example. The game on its own was enjoyable, but the most fun, and most time sunk into half-life for me, was in it's many mods. Counter-strike was spawned as a player made mod, for example, and became so successful it was released as it's own stand alone game. There were other great half-life mods as well, such as firearms, natural selection, etc. These modding communities take a game, and extend them into something far more than they were at release, and all you need to do is buy the base game to play them. So game modding is something that PC has over consoles as well.

Dude I agree i love mods. I wouldnt bank on mods being PC exclusive much longer though. I read an article recently of both Valve and Bioware creating Tools for consoles to move the mod communities to Consoles. mods that would be distributed through PSN and XBlive.

Imo the future is looking good for both platforms.

Microsoft and free content? That cannot happen!

• metalhead980metalhead980 Member Posts: 2,658
    Originally posted by Thenarius

but graphics aren't the end all be all of gaming. Last I checked, the gameplay is what determines if a game is fun or not.

Your right graphics dont matter. since gameplay is equal whats left? how about available games?

While PCs may have MMOs, Consoles have better action games and other exclusives.

I play both but going by availability consoles edge PCs and this is proven by the massive amount of people that prefer consoles over PC.

Really it is just personal preference, you're right. As I said earlier in the thread, PC gaming will still have it's place for a long time to come.

There is still more besides available games as well, which I noted earlier in mentioning that player mods are near non-existent in console games.

Take Half-life for example. The game on its own was enjoyable, but the most fun, and most time sunk into half-life for me, was in it's many mods. Counter-strike was spawned as a player made mod, for example, and became so successful it was released as it's own stand alone game. There were other great half-life mods as well, such as firearms, natural selection, etc. These modding communities take a game, and extend them into something far more than they were at release, and all you need to do is buy the base game to play them. So game modding is something that PC has over consoles as well.

Dude I agree i love mods. I wouldnt bank on mods being PC exclusive much longer though. I read an article recently of both Valve and Bioware creating Tools for consoles to move the mod communities to Consoles. mods that would be distributed through PSN and XBlive.

of course not you have to pay microsoft for use of their online service lol.

I'm sure once mods hit the console gaming networks PSn will also charge a small fee yearly for access to its bandwidth.

PLaying: EvE, Ryzom

Waiting For: Earthrise, Perpetuum

• ThenariusThenarius Member Posts: 1,106

I'm sure once mods hit the console gaming networks PSn will also charge a small fee yearly for access to its bandwidth.

But it's Microsoft god dammit, if he's not gonna charge 20 euro/dollars per mod then something possesed him.

On a more serious note, that could explain PSN's "premium content".

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by Phry

i dont know what most other people have, my own pc, i think is quite powerful, certainly more so than a console. it didnt cost even 1000 though. its built around a phenom I 2.6 ghz quadcore, 4gb ram, and a nvidia gtx260, and a 500 gb sata hard drive.  total cost of those bits, is about 475,  but thats in the UK, im sure in the USA, it would probably have been a bit cheaper. but, if you have money to burn, then an alienware rig costing over 2k probably would be very nice to have. but as you say, most dont have that. but what they can afford is usually significantly better than a console

You got me there. Games on PC like Halo 3, Gears of War 2, Infamous, MGS4 and many others look a lot better than the Console versions.... Oh wait.

True, but personally i always think single player games as being for people who just dont have friends. and thats just it really isnt it, the PC is the gaming platform of choice for the online generation. sony and co do seem to be catching on though, and titles are starting to come out that have an online element, take COD4MW2, is anyone seriously suggesting that the consoles do it better than the PC? but take this website alone, and what it represents. not many titles here for the console player is there. but your right, if all you want is a standalone game with reasonable graphics, then the console is just the ticket. personally i like more conversation in game, at least, one that isnt scripted.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

But it's Microsoft god dammit, if he's not gonna charge 20 euro/dollars per mod then something possesed him.

isnt XBOX live or whatever its called switching to a free to play thing, something to do with competing with another free platform.... Steam..

• Jimmy_ScytheJimmy_Scythe Member CommonPosts: 3,586

Oppertunity cost? Anyone?

Yeah, yeah, the PC has the major e-peen hardware and can be set up as a DVR in your living room blah, blah, blah, blah, blah!!!

How many exclusive PC titles are there a year? Out of those titles, how many do you know will run well out of the box? Even if you fit the systems specs, there's no gaurentee that the damn thing will move faster than a slideshow on your machine due to one tiny software / hardware dependency that was overlooked.

And don't even get me started aobut the hegemony of genres on the PC. All hail the holy trinity of FPS, RTS and MMORPG!!! Fighting games? nope. Sports games? Only if you mean manegement sims. Driving games? Only if you wanna spring a few grand on something like this. What about Platform games? Well... there's always Cave Story....

But the real kicker is that the games making the most waves in PC gaming don't require a top end rig. AI Wars, Torchlight, Trials 2, none of the really good games requires huge amounts of power or money. Hell, some of the best PC games, like the now stand alone game Prometheus, are completely free. You can see this as a plus if you want, but why should triple A developers make anything for a platform that has become the casual bargin bin of gaming? Why should you invest in a high end gaming rig when all the graphics intensive games are going to show up on consoles with a smoother frame rate anyway?

Yeah, I still play games on my PC. Only now it's Linux box and the only games I play on it are old Neo Geo games and Nexiuz.

You got me there. Games on PC like Halo 3, Gears of War 2, Infamous, MGS4 and many others look a lot better than the Console versions.... Oh wait.

True, but personally i always think single player games as being for people who just dont have friends. <snip>

<Snip>personally i like more conversation in game, at least, one that isnt scripted. <Snip>

LOL!!! Oh come on!!!!

Just last week I had a whole mess of friends in my home playing Split screen shooters, Madden and SFIV.

I have friends and you cant beat the sound quality of players in the same room, you know the sound of real friends not fake online people.

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Originally posted by Jimmy_Scythe
    Oppertunity cost? Anyone?
    Yeah, yeah, the PC has the major e-peen hardware and can be set up as a DVR in your living room blah, blah, blah, blah, blah!!!
    How many exclusive PC titles are there a year? Out of those titles, how many do you know will run well out of the box? Even if you fit the systems specs, there's no gaurentee that the damn thing will move faster than a slideshow on your machine due to one tiny software / hardware dependency that was overlooked.

Xbox and PS3 has it's share of that have issues with running properly, even those specifically made for those consoles.

And don't even get me started aobut the hegemony of genres on the PC. All hail the holy trinity of FPS, RTS and MMORPG!!! Fighting games? nope. Sports games? Only if you mean manegement sims. Driving games? Only if you wanna spring a few grand on something like this. What about Platform games? Well... there's always Cave Story....

You're really not looking hard enough then. There are tons of games, many of which are hidden gems made by indie developers, you just need to snoop around a bit for what you want. We have google for a reason.

But the real kicker is that the games making the most waves in PC gaming don't require a top end rig. AI Wars, Torchlight, Trials 2, none of the really good games requires huge amounts of power or money. Hell, some of the best PC games, like the now stand alone game Prometheus, are completely free. You can see this as a plus if you want, but why should triple A developers make anything for a platform that has become the casual bargin bin of gaming? Why should you invest in a high end gaming rig when all the graphics intensive games are going to show up on consoles with a smoother frame rate anyway?
    Yeah, I still play games on my PC. Only now it's Linux box and the only games I play on it are old Neo Geo games and Nexiuz.

Which again goes back to my point that gameplay trumps graphics. Most consoles games focus more on graphics than gameplay lately, which has resulted in big name games that are fancy and look nice, but they're terrible as games. Part of that is the target audience and what they want. It could be argued that PC gamers care more about the substance of the gameplay than the graphics. Hell, I know I still blow hours away playing the original X-Com, despite it's early 90's SVGA graphics.

• GiddianGiddian Member UncommonPosts: 418

isnt XBOX live or whatever its called switching to a free to play thing, something to do with competing with another free platform.... Steam..

No. it isnt. and Steam Sucks. loose your internet and you can't even play single player on your games.... Good Stuff huh.

Originally posted by Giddian

No. it isnt. and Steam Sucks. loose your internet and you can't even play single player on your games.... Good Stuff huh.

Really? is that new? I remember playing Half-life 2 in Offline mode using steam.

When My net crash last year for three days I played a couple Fps games on steam during offline mode also.

Maybe this is new? I kinda like steam.

• egotripegotrip Member Posts: 875

Besides once one is done playing games on the PC one can always download porn, that's what the internet is for.....isn't it?

Iiii-iiiiiit's.... me!!! *Hooray*

Originally posted by egotrip

Besides once one is done playing games on the PC one can always download porn, that's what the internet is for.....isn't it?

Dude I want to click your link feeling that it maybe a awesome porn site that I may not know about but im afraid.

• egotripegotrip Member Posts: 875

Dude I want to click your link feeling that it maybe a awesome porn site that I may not know about but im afraid.

No guts, no glory

Iiii-iiiiiit's.... me!!! *Hooray*

• TettersTetters Member Posts: 221

No guts, no glory

Thats a hilarious link - made me really laugh out loud

No guts, no glory

Someone that's not using free security software please click his link and tell me what it is LOL!!!!

• TettersTetters Member Posts: 221

No guts, no glory

Someone that's not using free security software please click his link and tell me what it is LOL!!!!

a youtube vid ... nothing dangerous ... and very funny

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Originally posted by Giddian

Not entirely true abount steam. You can set a game to 'offline' mode which locks it for local use on that PC without needing to login to steam on the net. But it locks you out of playing it on another PC when logged into steam until you unlock it from that PC.

• RoutverRoutver Member Posts: 383

I remember someone saying in here about how developers are forced to optimize the games they produce to the consoles' hardware, and it doesn't happen with PCs. I think it was right on the spot. We see titles with some better graphics on the PC, but have fun at upgrading your hardware often to put up with it, while having a console means you can stick with it for a while without the need to fork money over just better graphics.

• KalvasflammKalvasflamm Member Posts: 48

Hadn't had much to do with console games up to 2004. PC Gamer since 1991 (after Atari XL, C64, Amiga 500). In 2004 I thought, I give it a try. Bought a Dreamcast with lots of games (actually with House of the Dead and two Lightguns ;) and had fun for several weeks. I especially liked to try out something else than a computer mouse like gamepads, lightguns etc. On my PC there was always something to configurate to be able to play with two players. One had to play with keyboard the other with some shitty gamepad, wasn't much fun.

So for sports games, shoot em ups etc. I very much like the DC. Bought an Nintendo Game Cube after that, followed by the Nintendo DS and most recently a Xbox 360. I like them, really, and had some fun especially with the Xbox 360. I like the Xbox live feature, I like how uncomplicated everything is, I like to download demos and videos without even to specify the save path as on PCs. It all works very very fine. Thumbs up!

But in the end, I found myself playing on the PC 90 % of the time. When it comes to sport games, beat em ups etc., a console is great. Granted. But most of the games lacks game depth. I can not play them for longer than a few days. I prefer to play games like Heart of the Iron, Medieval 2, Anno 1404, Risen, Civilization etc. And when it comes to MMOs... well, nothing much to say.  

• Jimmy_ScytheJimmy_Scythe Member CommonPosts: 3,586
    Originally posted by Kalvasflamm

Hadn't had much to do with console games up to 2004. PC Gamer since 1991 (after Atari XL, C64, Amiga 500). In 2004 I thought, I give it a try. Bought a Dreamcast with lots of games (actually with House of the Dead and two Lightguns ;) and had fun for several weeks. I especially liked to try out something else than a computer mouse like gamepads, lightguns etc. On my PC there was always something to configurate to be able to play with two players. One had to play with keyboard the other with some shitty gamepad, wasn't much fun.
    So for sports games, shoot em ups etc. I very much like the DC. Bought an Nintendo Game Cube after that, followed by the Nintendo DS and most recently a Xbox 360. I like them, really, and had some fun especially with the Xbox 360. I like the Xbox live feature, I like how uncomplicated everything is, I like to download demos and videos without even to specify the save path as on PCs. It all works very very fine. Thumbs up!
    But in the end, I found myself playing on the PC 90 % of the time. When it comes to sport games, beat em ups etc., a console is great. Granted. But most of the games lacks game depth. I can not play them for longer than a few days. I prefer to play games like Heart of the Iron, Medieval 2, Anno 1404, Risen, Civilization etc. And when it comes to MMOs... well, nothing much to say.  

And that brings up another point. The PC is only really good at certain types of games. I cut teeth on arcade games because my family was too poor for either a micro computer or an Atari 2600 (yeah, I'm old). So I'm more into arcade style games, which are getting hard to find even on consoles.

Back in my day, the only computer that could even come close to matching the raw speed of consoles was the Commodore 64. It wasn't until about 1990 that the PC was able to actually perform to the level of the NES. It took two more years before the PC was able to surpass the speed of consoles. And then the PC gaming old guard threw fits of nerd rage because PC games were becoming more action oriented.

Up to that point, the PC excelled at wargames, adventure games and bone dry flight sims. Today, those genres barely exist on the fringes of mainstream gaming. The problem with the PC as a gaming platform is that there are only a small number of genres that are well suited to it. To make matters worse, multiplayer is all but impossible on a PC without a network. Multiplayer on a single PC is simply not done.

There is a solution to the PC as a gaming platform, but none of the PC elitists here are going to like it. Get more PC games to support this:

It's either that or start making PCs that support multiple monitors, keyboads and mice right out of the box and have games made for such expensive set ups.

Then again, a typical home LAN has about 100 mps of bandwidth, so maybe we just need games that can stream from a home server into netbooks which seem to be everywhere nowadays.

Screw it. PCs are gonna be replaced by projecting smartphones with Chrome OS in a few years anyway....

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

PC's are great but they will not be the future of mmos. I own both a pc and console and both have their pros and cons.

• TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547
    Originally posted by Jimmy_Scythe

There is a solution to the PC as a gaming platform, but none of the PC elitists here are going to like it. Get more PC games to support this:

I just think that more games should be "Games for Windows" if they have the ability to be played with a controller.

Computers wouldn't be anywhere near where they are today with out standards. Some of the standards that have been implemented are inferior to what some of the alternatives were, but they were standards and gave everyone a platform to launch off of.

That's what "Games for Windows" does. It's an XBox 360 controller, but just giving that standard other designers (logitech) can base their controller designs of the same button setups as the XBox 360 controller, which are insanely expensive. My Xbox 360 for WIndows controller cost me almost $70, but the receiver can support up to 4 XBox 360 controllers. So if my controller breaks, I don't have to buy another "for Windows" controller, I just need a wireless regular 360 controller.

Even though it was $70 after tax, the Xbox 360 Controller for Windows was worth it. Like I said earlier, I have my TV hooked up as a 3rd monitor and I play games with it. I absolutely love it. I've been playing Arkham Asylum here recently.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

I used to be a die hard PC gamer. For over 7 years I did all my gaming  on PC and didnt even own a console. Now I have a PS3 on a HDTV and a very decent computer which I built about 2 years ago.

Both have pro/con to em. Some games are just better on a PC. Take dragon age, decent on console but on PC you have player mods, much easier control of your party, ect ect. So I bought it for PC.

Now take assassins creed 2 which I got for my PS3. Nothing like kicking back on my couch or chair in my living room and spending half a day off gaming.

IMO both have their merits, i guess I am just lucky enough to own both a good comp and a nice setup for a console.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by tvalentine

Originally posted by adoniskev

Originally posted by soap46

I've actually had the chance to use one of these, and I must admit that it is pretty damn cool.  I played RE5 on it and it worked like a charm.  The only thing here is that only certain games are supported for it.  Also, you need one hell of a graphics card (I'd go with no lower than a GTX 280) to run games in this smoothly, as it is very taxing on resources.  It's a good product, and it works well, but just remember that it may be a bigger investment than you'd originally think with a new card and all. 

Kickass monitor in that bundle BTW.

I created a PC for less than 800 usd, and it plays every single game out there at high settings. 

for 800$ i can get a PS3/360 and 8 new games (maybe 7 if you include tax). And i wont have to worry about upgrading for the next 6-8 years. So i can save hundreds of dollars not worrying about upgrades for almost a decade and have twice as many games as you.

Except ofcourse PC games cost almost half that of PS3/Xbox 360 and you can download pirated games and not risk getting banned from the internet for doing so.

As for 6-8 years. How long do you think those 8 games will last you? Maybe a year? Then you have to buy another 7-8 per year so in the long run a PC is much more wortwhile than a console.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Originally posted by Yamota

Originally posted by tvalentine

Originally posted by adoniskev

Originally posted by soap46

I've actually had the chance to use one of these, and I must admit that it is pretty damn cool.  I played RE5 on it and it worked like a charm.  The only thing here is that only certain games are supported for it.  Also, you need one hell of a graphics card (I'd go with no lower than a GTX 280) to run games in this smoothly, as it is very taxing on resources.  It's a good product, and it works well, but just remember that it may be a bigger investment than you'd originally think with a new card and all. 

Kickass monitor in that bundle BTW.

I created a PC for less than 800 usd, and it plays every single game out there at high settings. 

for 800$ i can get a PS3/360 and 8 new games (maybe 7 if you include tax). And i wont have to worry about upgrading for the next 6-8 years. So i can save hundreds of dollars not worrying about upgrades for almost a decade and have twice as many games as you.

Except ofcourse PC games cost almost half that of PS3/Xbox 360 and you can download pirated games and not risk getting banned from the internet for doing so.

As for 6-8 years. How long do you think those 8 games will last you? Maybe a year? Then you have to buy another 7-8 per year so in the long run a PC is much more wortwhile than a console.

Games on a PC are only $10.00 less compared to console games. You also can trade in old console games and get towards a new one, where as pc games you can't trade them in. A good pc can run you about $600.00 and a console costs $300 for an elite. Consoles require little to no maintenance while a pc needs alot more maintenance and eventually cost you even more money.