Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final two classes with translation.

13»

Comments

• RoosterNashRoosterNash Member Posts: 283
    Originally posted by uttaus

Im not sure what people expected but The Old Republic is supposed to FOCUS on the Jedi/Sith wars. I bet the majority of people wanting to play want even more jedi classes I know I do.
    I personally think they should have followed the KOTOR I & II classes even more closely but thats me.
    So if you don't care for the the focus on the force users there is a Clone Wars MMO supposedly coming out. It may or may not have as much focus on jedi.

Eh, 4 force-using classes and 4 non. My IA will have no problem smiting either.

And this game isn't all about the structure of the original games. How boring would it be if everyone was a force-user running around? The answer: Very.

THE Rooster Nash

• StuBidasoeStuBidasoe Member Posts: 108

With JC confirmed to have a healing branch and SI being sold as ranged dps...Will this unbalance any faction vs faction PvP?  I'm still in the hope that certain planets will be ffa PvP but with one side having healers it could create a real balance issue.  I really wish BioWare had left any healing to self heals or emergency medipack for healing people in your group.  Hate for SWTOR to go down the road toward a trinity. 

• greed0104greed0104 Member Posts: 2,134
    Originally posted by StuBidasoe

With JC confirmed to have a healing branch and SI being sold as ranged dps...Will this unbalance any faction vs faction PvP?  I'm still in the hope that certain planets will be ffa PvP but with one side having healers it could create a real balance issue.  I really wish BioWare had left any healing to self heals or emergency medipack for healing people in your group.  Hate for SWTOR to go down the road toward a trinity. 

According to some of the regulars at SWTOR forums, SI may have a way of healing. But they are basing this on this quote from what I can tell.

Darth Plagueis was a Dark Lord of the Sith, so powerful and so wise, he could use the Force to influence the midi-chlorians to create life. He had such a knowledge of the dark side, he could even keep the ones he cared about from dying

That line does add the posibility, but the question is if BioWare took it into account.

Originally posted by Warjin

Originally posted by greed0104

Originally posted by RoosterNash

On the one hand, this discovery is very disappointing. But then I see that every class will have to choose between two different routes to take. So, with that, I'm hoping that I can have a melee Agent!!! Also, it helps me to understand why they went this direction with two more force-using classes. But, it's going to be a pretty jagged pill for people on the fence to swallow. I've still got my faith sown deep into this. Maybe too deep now. I'm going on a sabotical. I'll be back to talk about TOR near release.
    Nice find though, greed!  Also, you were right about the last two being support classes. At least, they seem like they'll be support-based. A healing class. I have to admit, from what I had read from BW so far, I didn't see it coming. Or, rather, I had hoped we would venture into CC-based mechanics and more methodical gameplay, but I'm adult enough to say I was way off the mark there.

Indeed, some people are going to find this a bad move. BioWare can't make everybody happy though. The Star Wars IP is very tricky  to navigate when it comes to an MMO.

The way I see it.

Warrior - SW/JK

Ranger - TR/BH

Rogue - IA/SM

Wizard - SI/JC      Edit:Paladin/Deathknight with Nuking.

I don't look at it as 4 FU (force users), I look at it the way I have it listed above. Also note that the SW and JK are listed as Melee Centric, those that were wanting a caster class can now be happy, two of my friends have found this to be a great move, they both play nuker and healer classes in other MMOs, they are now off the fence and standing with most of the guild waiting for release day.

To answer your edit, there was a leak a bit back in one of the videos where on the screen you could see "Jedi Wizard" or something of the sort. It's been speculated for awhile if it truly said "Wizard" I didn't care to speculate because it seemed to blurry for me to actually make a guess on. Aparently the person to have found this was 100% spot on.

I'm calling It now those classes will be the OP ones and will hear lots of crys for nerfs

Some classes will be OP, I can't think of a MMO launch that didn't have a few unbalanced or underbalanced classes. So it would be nothing out of the norm.

Originally posted by RavingRabbid

TY for the post OP! I still find it odd that they have 2 force using classes  on each side with so many  possibilities out there.
    (AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH goes back in time and engages Darth Bane in lightsaber to plunger combat!)

It's variety.

4 gun users

4 force users

over

6 gun users

2 force users.

According to some of the regulars at SWTOR forums, SI may have a way of healing. But they are basing this on this quote from what I can tell.

Darth Plagueis was a Dark Lord of the Sith, so powerful and so wise, he could use the Force to influence the midi-chlorians to create life. He had such a knowledge of the dark side, he could even keep the ones he cared about from dying

That line does add the posibility, but the question is if BioWare took it into account.

I guess that is the question.  Did BioWare take into account that SI would also be used for healing?  So far all the confirmed stuff says no.  SI is basically ranged dps/support class.  If this is truely the case then I think it would create serious balance issues for any faction vs faction fighting.  Would you rather have minmaxed dps/tanks that are at the top of their specs (since they didn't have to include any healing) or have a group of viable dps with enough utility to heal themselves at the cost of more potent dps?  It could be a case of the Republic being handicapped if a JC as a healer is so weak offensively to do much more then heal themselves while fighting.  If BioWare had left off the JC being able to be a dedicated healer then I wouldn't question these possible balance issues.  

• RoosterNashRoosterNash Member Posts: 283

I guess that is the question.  Did BioWare take into account that SI would also be used for healing?  So far all the confirmed stuff says no.  SI is basically ranged dps/support class.  If this is truely the case then I think it would create serious balance issues for any faction vs faction fighting.  Would you rather have minmaxed dps/tanks that are at the top of their specs (since they didn't have to include any healing) or have a group of viable dps with enough utility to heal themselves at the cost of more potent dps?  It could be a case of the Republic being handicapped if a JC as a healer is so weak offensively to do much more then heal themselves while fighting.  If BioWare had left off the JC being able to be a dedicated healer then I wouldn't question these possible balance issues.  

It shouldn't be that big of a deal. Can't remember the last time I played an MMO where all classes were balanced. I woudn't mind the Sith not having a designated healer class, myself. The more competition for the Sith (such as myself), the better/

THE Rooster Nash

Hard to answer really. We don't know the strength and weaknesses of all the classes, we also don't know the possible paths each class can take or how each classes heal will work.

• tjcombotjcombo Member UncommonPosts: 38

Originally posted by benmou13

Originally posted by benmou13

Up yours bioware

You will be missed.

so yes i am entiteled to an opinion and no yours wasnt an opinion it was a "i havent nothing mature to say".

Because "Up yours bioware" was mature and constructive.

Come on now benmou, you know you was not going to play either of these to begin with.

I laughed hard when I read "Because 'Up yours bioware' was mature and constructive". I thought the exact same thing. But I think it is way too early to determine how these classes are going to play. I expected to see a healer type because no matter what someone is going to complain that there isn't one or try to figure out a "healer" path. So this eliminates that and gives the user a choice to go healer or support range dps. I am not sure what path I am going to take until the game is released.  But thank you Greed for the info. Very informative.

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507

I thought there was supposed to be more than one way to play SI, so I'd have thought playing it as support class possible; it's the flip-side of JC so to speak by the looks of it, in terms of the two factions.

Originally posted by Illyssia

I thought there was supposed to be more than one way to play SI, so I'd have thought playing it as support class possible; it's the flip-side of JC so to speak by the looks of it, in terms of the two factions.

You should be able to play the SI as a ranged support role but the support part is cc and maybe buffs in my understanding not healing.  JC is the only class that I've seen them mention being able to be a dedicated healer.  I just think having one dedicated healer on one faction is a problem (both should have healers or none at all).  Not only could it create faction vs faction balance isssues (classes are always going to be unbalanced from certain points of view, not an issue with me) but it will breed minmaxing into the game to top charts instead of keeping player utility in PvE.  I hope it isn't the case and I am completely wrong but I can't find a flaw in my logic here.  A dedicated healer will change the playing field for anyone rolling Republic, both in PvP and PvE.  I'm still looking forward to getting my hands on SWTOR but I disagree with the adding a healer class to only one faction.  If SI does end up having the same healing options then none of this matters.