Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Europeans once again second rate people

ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Ok, and prolly everyone outside US, as well. I haven't seen STO in any retailer list here in Germany, heck even Amazon.de hasn't listed the game! It's as if it doesn't exist. When I phoned some game stores here, all I got was "Star Trek what? They make an online game?" It oddly reminds of the PR desaster of CO. Almost none here in Europe had heard of Champions Online, even today many MMO gamers in Germany have never heard of Champions or STO. In most game shops here you can't even buy Champions today. Some know the name and thats it. Why? Have they so little faith in their own games?

Same goes with the beta keys. There is zero effort to really give out keys, let alone here in Europe. Most beta keys are US only in more and more MMOs, and Cryptic is worse in this than others. When you are from Europe and want in STO beta, you better forget it. I heard from none of the lifetime sub people or the 6 months people from Europe than a single one got any note about the promised beta key. If the game is good, spreading out MANY beta keys in Europe would be a way to advertise their game, to make it more known and to prevent the CO issue that CO is totally unknown here.

Now I know beta is for the companies to test, but with the many MMOs flooding out these days and with the justified scepticism of us gamers, it is a no brainer to say, no try to buy. Then I read on Amazon.com a preorder gets into Open beta. Hello? Since when it is OPEN WHEN IT IS NOT? When it the word "Open" be changed into "CLOSED"? Are they rewriting the dictionary now.

It means: SORRY WE HAVE NO OPEN BETA BUT WE MAKE A CLOSED ONE AND CALL IT OPEN.

Wow. And gamers clap to that. At least I know when I get a kick in my ass. It all has written: "we don't want you" all over it. Maybe they need a new PR coucilor, because what Cryptic does here does not really send a message of warm welcome.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Comments

• SalvatorisSalvatoris Member Posts: 1,360

When a German developer makes a game, in German and based on a German TV series... I bet you guys get it before we do.  I'm just sayin'.  ;)

And to be fair, most people in the US didn't know or care about the launch of Champions online either.  That game's failure really knows no borders.

• KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022

now u know =)

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by Salvatoris

When a German developer makes a game, in German and based on a German TV series... I bet you guys get it before we do.  I'm just sayin'.  ;)
    And to be fair, most people in the US didn't know or care about the launch of Champions online either.  That game's failure really knows no borders.

Come on, its STAR TREK. Its not some random, local TV series. It has fans all over the friggin world.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• maleficentmaleficent Member Posts: 7

Once again?  Aw, come on...you guys were always second-rate people.   ;)

Drama queens ftl. 

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168

There is the possibility that they have done market surveys in the Eu and found that there wasnt enough intrest in the game there to spend the money (speculation). It sad because I do think there is a following for STO in the Eu. Make some uproar of your own and get STO out there Elikal!!!

(AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH raises plunger in salute to Capt Kirk)

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• IrishoakIrishoak Member Posts: 633

Umm, really, seriously? Ok.

I suggest the EU does not take this sitting down. This is like racism, well, except against white people not like how it's usually done. The EU should gird it's loins and invade the USA. I suggest attacking via our soft spot, Canada. It's like our soft underbelly, if we were lounging on our back. Which we may be. So yeah it's our soft, supply, slightly fuzzy underbelly, because we're on our back, remember?

Ok here's the deal, get a bunch of ships, pile in with your combined forces and sail over to near that New Scotland place.  Everyone gets out, oh, bring buses or something, the Canadians are a friendly people but they have a bunch of trees and stuff. They haven't raped the Earth and converted the spoils into GMC Pacers yet. So take your buses and head South, or Down, how ever it works in metric. When you get mugged you are in New York, start attacking.

Just so you know though, we've all seen Red Dawn, well except the gang members, you know what, you may want to skip New York, it's pretty dangerous and France would most likely surrender after seeing American mimes in Central Park. Ok, when you get off head to the middle of Canada then head Down. travel about 400Hectargrams and you'll be in some Dakota place. Don't come in winter though, it lasts from September to about June there.

Come to think, this is getting complex, just make your own games.

• tman5tman5 Member Posts: 604
    Originally posted by Irishoak

I suggest the EU does not take this sitting down. This is like racism, well, except against white people not like how it's usually done. The EU should gird it's loins and invade the USA. I suggest attacking via our soft spot, Canada. It's like our soft underbelly, if we were lounging on our back. Which we may be. So yeah it's our soft, supply, slightly fuzzy underbelly, because we're on our back, remember?
    Ok here's the deal, get a bunch of ships, pile in with your combined forces and sail over to near that New Scotland place.  Everyone gets out, oh, bring buses or something, the Canadians are a friendly people but they have a bunch of trees and stuff. They haven't raped the Earth and converted the spoils into GMC Pacers yet. So take your buses and head South, or Down, how ever it works in metric. When you get mugged you are in New York, start attacking.
    Just so you know though, we've all seen Red Dawn, well except the gang members, you know what, you may want to skip New York, it's pretty dangerous and France would most likely surrender after seeing American mimes in Central Park. Ok, when you get off head to the middle of Canada then head Down. travel about 400Hectargrams and you'll be in some Dakota place. Don't come in winter though, it lasts from September to about June there.

I rofled so hard I think my boss will fire me.

• IrishoakIrishoak Member Posts: 633

He must be French.

• KniknaxKniknax Member UncommonPosts: 576

Its available to preorder in the UK. Although we get it 3 days later than the US. So the rest of the EU probably get it around the same time. Although on the STO site they did say you could order it from the US or get the digital download if you really want to start the same day as the US and have to endure the normal release day bugs and server outages...

"When people don't know much about something, they tend to fill in the blanks the way they want them to be filled in. They are almost always disappointed." - Will Wright

• IbluerateIbluerate Member Posts: 256

So move to the US and quit your bitchin'.

Playing: World Of Warcraft
    Resting From: Nothing
    Retired: EQ2, CoH, Tabula Rasa, SWG, Warhammer, AoC
    Waiting For: SWTOR, APB
    Love(d): Tabula Rasa, SWG, World Of Warcraft, Age of Conan

• InnossInnoss Member Posts: 105

Its posts like these that keep me reading this site. I actually logged in to reply.

• grapevinegrapevine Member UncommonPosts: 1,927

Well I'm from the EU (UK) and am a lifetime subscriber to CO.  Not that I'd recommend ordering from them, but its on pre-order at play.com.   I'm also in the closed beta.

Personally from my own experience Cryptic are quite balanced around access to beta, etc.  In fact I've been in closed beta for CoV, CO and STO.  I wasn't for CoH, mostly down to I didn't apply. 

The launch dates vary as shipments to EU and US stores are different domestically.  Apart from a few exceptions games (MMO or not) launch on a Friday here in the UK, so the delay has more to do with the actual retail industry than the publishers.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

Someone already mentioned it but outside of the developer country there are normally deals made on what other company is going to distribute the game. (For example, codemasters distributes several US made MMOs for sale in EU) Also a company is normally going to first concern itself with the launch of the game in it's own country and then later worry about the launch of the game in other countries.

You guys would notice this if more EU game companies made big triple A titles for sale around the world, but they don't. It's similar to Hollywood, we get to watch the movies our country makes first, and then they worry about getting it to all of the other countries. Once again you would see this more in reverse if EU had big movie production houses but they just don't.

We lead the way in the entertainment industry and have for many decades. It's one of those things our country does best. You guys lead in such things as a stable economy, it may not be as glamarous but it is certainly better in many respects.

• seelxseelx Member UncommonPosts: 6

great. :)

They might also try attacking through Mexico.  A couple thousand pesos, 1/2 a Euro maybe, should be enough to smuggle them into Arizona.  Bring water.

If you don't want to pay, just follow an 'accidental' Mexican army incursion accross the border.  These things usually go unnoticed for days.

You can use the empty homes as temporary headquarters while you plot to attack California.

• Zorvan01Zorvan01 Member CommonPosts: 390
    Originally posted by seelx

They might also try attacking through Mexico.  A couple thousand pesos, 1/2 a Euro maybe, should be enough to smuggle them into Arizona.  Bring water.

If you don't want to pay, just follow an 'accidental' Mexican army incursion accross the border.  These things usually go unnoticed for days.

You can use the empty homes as temporary headquarters while you plot to attack California.

Who says they need to attack? We'll give it to 'em.

image]image

• conanarasconanaras Member Posts: 68

Money is not a problem. They will use Darkfall's profits to fund the invasion.

1 + 1 = 2... Unless it CRITS!

• Zorvan01Zorvan01 Member CommonPosts: 390
    Originally posted by conanaras

Money is not a problem. They will use Darkfall's profits to fund the invasion.

A whole $234.67? Well, I guess in pesos that would be alot......

image]image

• LifePositiveLifePositive Member UncommonPosts: 130

You know that advertising, distribution, server infrastructure, and regional support all cost money, yes?

Which would, of course, seem to suggest that you believe Cryptic has money to spend.

“How do you kill that which has no life

• ZarynterkZarynterk Member UncommonPosts: 398

Sorry I'm from Zona... we have more guns in this state, then all of Mexico lol and lots o' crazy whiteys...

• dalevi1dalevi1 Member Posts: 829
    Originally posted by Zarynterk

Sorry I'm from Zona... we have more guns in this state, then all of Mexico lol and lots o' crazy whiteys...

I think we have more guns in the populace than all Western European miitaries combined. Just sayin. No disrespect to the UK though, they have taken some hits as of late...

To go the route of Mexico to the north though, I would have to say hearts and minds to get Mexico over to your side, then good luck beating texas, we couldn't do it in the last 8 years.

Actually our football team did it once. Different field I think.

Yeah, shipping to cali might be your best bet, but if going through LA or Oakland? Good freakin luck.

Played (more than a month): SWG, Second Life, Tabula Rasa, Lineage 2, Everquest 2, EvE, MxO, Ryzom.

Tried: WoW, Shadowbane, Anarchy Online, Everquest, WWII Online, Planetside

Beta: Lotro, Tabula Rasa, WAR.

• MorrokMorrok Member Posts: 130

Guys, all this "who has more guns" talk is nonsense.

And this Irishoak guy's post is rubbish as well.

Get our own games?

Well, guess what?

There ARE games being developed in Europe, but then usually marketed "correctly".

Just to name "Anno" as an example - there are far more and have been all the time.

It IS "second-rate"ish if the EUR is "valued" 1:1 to the USD when looking at subscription fees, when everyone knows that the EUR is the "harder" currency.

Paying 15USD for a sub is NOT the same as paying 15EUR for the same game.

And if that were not enough, the game companies have a few years back begun to even add "VAT" to their prices - for EU customers only.

Which means Euro customers are being ripped off twice.

One poster above spoke about (US) companies doing market research... in Europe/worldwide.

That made me laugh, but not of fun but of frustration because it is simply not true.

Someone mentioned "Red Dawn" above...

How so VERY MUCH american!

But i guess expecting US companies to actually DO market research is asked too much if the general populace has problems understanding that "Paris" is not in Texas but in France or that WW2 and the cold war are over for that matter...