Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Consoles never PC forever

Comments

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216
    Originally posted by TheHatter

Originally posted by tvalentine

Originally posted by adoniskev

Originally posted by soap46

I've actually had the chance to use one of these, and I must admit that it is pretty damn cool.  I played RE5 on it and it worked like a charm.  The only thing here is that only certain games are supported for it.  Also, you need one hell of a graphics card (I'd go with no lower than a GTX 280) to run games in this smoothly, as it is very taxing on resources.  It's a good product, and it works well, but just remember that it may be a bigger investment than you'd originally think with a new card and all. 

Kickass monitor in that bundle BTW.

I created a PC for less than 800 usd, and it plays every single game out there at high settings. 

for 800$ i can get a PS3/360 and 8 new games (maybe 7 if you include tax). And i wont have to worry about upgrading for the next 6-8 years. So i can save hundreds of dollars not worrying about upgrades for almost a decade and have twice as many games as you.

When the PS4 or XBox520 comes out, can you cannibalize parts of your PS3 or XBox360 to build them? Oh wait.......

You're just SoL paying $600-800 or however much they want to charge for each one. Sorry.

The computer I'm running right now, cost me $2500 last year. I built it from the ground up.

alright so for 2500$ i can get a 360/PS3 for 300$ and the next gen console for lets say 600$ (arbitrary number). I still have 1600$ to spend on games, accessories, or even another tv (if you included a monitor in your 2500$). Thats 2 decades of not worrying about upgrades .... at all..... By that time you will have had to upgrade your GPU, maybe your processor and your RAM. (considering the rate new hardware comes out)

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

• TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547
    Originally posted by ic0n67

What consoles can do for you is create a standard that you can't get in the PC world. When you buy an XBox 360 you can a certain set of components. The processors are all relatively as powerful. All the video cards are relatively the same. As a developer you can then have a set ceiling and floor to work with when making your game. Without those restrictions you would get what you had with Crisis a few years back when the specs for the game made most who wanted to play it almost break down in tears. Yes without the ceiling you can get progressively better and better and keep pushing the envelope, but that isn't necessarily the best course of action for the greater population.
    PCs double in power every 18 months. A console generation lasts 7-8 years. By the time your console is obsolete you are looking at more like 9-10 years down the line. Assuming 9 years that is 108 months which equates to 6 upgrades the PC has made. So just on HDD space alone you would be looking at something of a 10 TB machine and Window 9 by the time this console cycle will end. You might be able to get a good rig for $800 today, and that might last you a while ... up you are looking at at least 3-4 upgrades of a PC over a 10 year span so you are looking at $2400 - $3200 spent on hardware alone over the time your $200 system will be active. Yes you are pushing the envelope more and more and your games are getting better and better, but for the general population that is not very economical to keep up and that ceiling that the consoles possess helps keep that consumer price check.

VERY good post.

I still prefer PC though, but this is a damn good post and I completely forgot about standardized parts making things easier. But, on a side note... you know what that makes all Consoles?

A Mac.

Enjoy your Macs consolers! It's just too bad you guys can't all get together in coffee shops and tell each other how cool your Macs Consoles are!

(in case you didn't get it, I was just playing in that last part ^.^ )

To the guy above me, that price included 2 monitors, the case, and an overpowered PSU. But, 2 decades? Really? I got my NES when it was pretty new when I was 6 and I'm 25...... You just gave up your NES?

What consoles can do for you is create a standard that you can't get in the PC world. When you buy an XBox 360 you can a certain set of components. The processors are all relatively as powerful. All the video cards are relatively the same. As a developer you can then have a set ceiling and floor to work with when making your game. Without those restrictions you would get what you had with Crisis a few years back when the specs for the game made most who wanted to play it almost break down in tears. Yes without the ceiling you can get progressively better and better and keep pushing the envelope, but that isn't necessarily the best course of action for the greater population.
    PCs double in power every 18 months. A console generation lasts 7-8 years. By the time your console is obsolete you are looking at more like 9-10 years down the line. Assuming 9 years that is 108 months which equates to 6 upgrades the PC has made. So just on HDD space alone you would be looking at something of a 10 TB machine and Window 9 by the time this console cycle will end. You might be able to get a good rig for $800 today, and that might last you a while ... up you are looking at at least 3-4 upgrades of a PC over a 10 year span so you are looking at $2400 - $3200 spent on hardware alone over the time your $200 system will be active. Yes you are pushing the envelope more and more and your games are getting better and better, but for the general population that is not very economical to keep up and that ceiling that the consoles possess helps keep that consumer price check.

To the guy above me, that price included 2 monitors, the case, and an overpowered PSU. But, 2 decades? Really? I got my NES when it was pretty new when I was 6 and I'm 25...... You just gave up your NES?

have you seen ANY announcements for a new console? They are still developing games for the PS2 and how long ago did that console come out? Your comparing 2 different generations. Keep pulling at straws.

• Lord_IxiganLord_Ixigan Member Posts: 548

I've actually had the chance to use one of these, and I must admit that it is pretty damn cool.  I played RE5 on it and it worked like a charm.  The only thing here is that only certain games are supported for it.  Also, you need one hell of a graphics card (I'd go with no lower than a GTX 280) to run games in this smoothly, as it is very taxing on resources.  It's a good product, and it works well, but just remember that it may be a bigger investment than you'd originally think with a new card and all. 

I created a PC for less than 800 usd, and it plays every single game out there at high settings. 

for 800$ i can get a PS3/360 and 8 new games (maybe 7 if you include tax). And i wont have to worry about upgrading for the next 6-8 years. So i can save hundreds of dollars not worrying about upgrades for almost a decade and have twice as many games as you.

Really? You won't have to upgrade for 6-8 years? And you're absolutely certain that your console is going to keep up with the times? What kind of fantasy word are you living in kid?

Even right now both the 360 and the ps3 are way behind the times in terms of performance even just the high end. A self-built 800 PC will be able to perform just as well or probably even better than a ps4. What you DON'T know is that consoles do NOT run games at the same settings that a pc can. An easy example is to take Mass Effect on the 360 and then look at the same game with all the settings maxxed on a PC. The game will look strikingly better on the PC. Or you can even do it with Crysis for far more drastic differences.

The major pro for consoles is also one of their greatest drawbacks. Said pro being that when a developer goes to code for a particular console they know exactly what is in the box. Every ps3 has the exact same hardware so you only have to code and design are that specific hardware. However, in order to have a console be so cheap that means NOT using top end components....even for when the console is first released. That means way less and lower quality ram, lower quality gpu, lower quality power supply and so on. The ps3 and 360 have shoved what are now medium-ish end processors on what is now low-end everything else.

I honestly have a hard time understanding how people think that games on consoles look all that great. I go and run Crysis on high (note: not max....nothing can run Crysis on max settings really...still) and THAT is breath-taking. Then I go an look at RE5 or Assassin's Creed and just go 'Oh...that looks....pretty good. I was playing games that looked like that for pc like two years ago.'

Consoles don't look terrible, but comparing them to a respectable PC is just a freaking joke. Barely any AA support, laughable ram, shoddy power supplies, and there is a LOOOOOOONG list of gpu performance and quality options that are either barely or not at all supported for either the 360 or ps3.

PS: If you can't tell this is purely from the standpoint of performance and quality. There are many, many, many other reasons why the PC is better. The most notable of which are mod communities. Right now there are ZERO mod communities for console games. Why? Because there are ZERO tools out there for modding console games. Most people seem content with the way consoles play, but to be honest a large part of that is because they've bought the myth that their console is a cutting edge system. I have had zero problem converting people to the way of PC gaming. Building a rig that will last you for a years isn't hard nor as super expensive as the console community would have you believe. A ps3 is, right now, 300 dollars for a basic ps3. If you want one that has all the bells and whistles it's closer to 400. For about another 4-500 dollars you can build a high-end pc bundle. Sure it will take some time shopping around for parts, but it's worth it.

Plus if nothing else all the best RTS's are release for PC....I love the RTS genre. And playing an FPS on a console is for people that suck at FPS's. And RPG's are usually better on a PC as well. So, 'nuff said.

Originally posted by Lord_Ixigan

Really? You won't have to upgrade for 6-8 years? And you're absolutely certain that your console is going to keep up with the times? What kind of fantasy word are you living in kid?

name one game out thats for the PS3 that wont run on it due to the PS3 not having enough power. Or a 360 game that wont run on the 360 due to its hardware getting outdated... name one and i will actually read your whole post.

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    Originally posted by Lord_Ixigan

Even right now both the 360 and the ps3 are way behind the times in terms of performance even just the high end. A self-built 800 PC will be able to perform just as well or probably even better than a ps4. What you DON'T know is that consoles do NOT run games at the same settings that a pc can. An easy example is to take Mass Effect on the 360 and then look at the same game with all the settings maxxed on a PC. The game will look strikingly better on the PC. Or you can even do it with Crysis for far more drastic differences.

The major pro for consoles is also one of their greatest drawbacks. Said pro being that when a developer goes to code for a particular console they know exactly what is in the box. Every ps3 has the exact same hardware so you only have to code and design are that specific hardware. However, in order to have a console be so cheap that means NOT using top end components....even for when the console is first released. That means way less and lower quality ram, lower quality gpu, lower quality power supply and so on. The ps3 and 360 have shoved what are now medium-ish end processors on what is now low-end everything else.

I honestly have a hard time understanding how people think that games on consoles look all that great. I go and run Crysis on high (note: not max....nothing can run Crysis on max settings really...still) and THAT is breath-taking. Then I go an look at RE5 or Assassin's Creed and just go 'Oh...that looks....pretty good. I was playing games that looked like that for pc like two years ago.'

Consoles don't look terrible, but comparing them to a respectable PC is just a freaking joke. Barely any AA support, laughable ram, shoddy power supplies, and there is a LOOOOOOONG list of gpu performance and quality options that are either barely or not at all supported for either the 360 or ps3.

PS: If you can't tell this is purely from the standpoint of performance and quality. There are many, many, many other reasons why the PC is better. The most notable of which are mod communities. Right now there are ZERO mod communities for console games. Why? Because there are ZERO tools out there for modding console games. Most people seem content with the way consoles play, but to be honest a large part of that is because they've bought the myth that their console is a cutting edge system. I have had zero problem converting people to the way of PC gaming. Building a rig that will last you for a years isn't hard nor as super expensive as the console community would have you believe. A ps3 is, right now, 300 dollars for a basic ps3. If you want one that has all the bells and whistles it's closer to 400. For about another 4-500 dollars you can build a high-end pc bundle. Sure it will take some time shopping around for parts, but it's worth it.

Plus if nothing else all the best RTS's are release for PC....I love the RTS genre. And playing an FPS on a console is for people that suck at FPS's. And RPG's are usually better on a PC as well. So, 'nuff said.

The biggest problem with your argument is, contrary to what you state, a console can very well keep up with PC gaming. Mass Effect does not look strikingly better, it looks slightly better, to the point where you have to compare them side by side to even spot the differences.While most multiplatform games do look slightly better on pc, the difference is so small that it won't result in a more entertaining experience.

Yes Crysis and Crysis warhead are the best looking games available, but aside from those two, games like Uncharted 2 and Killzone 2 can not only compete with PC graphics, they blow them out of the water in many occasions.

The reason for this is very simple: You're a minority. The vast majority of people are stuck with a cheaper mid to low end system and thus developers will try to appeal to that audience, result? Most games don't look nearly as good as they could have been.

Obviously an 800 dollar built pc now won't be able to do what a Playstation 3 can, just like you couldn't get a pc for 800$ when the Xbox 360 first came out. Heck, there were tons of PC gamers complaining they had trouble running Oblivion. Ofcourse no Xbox 360 owner, who purchased the console for about 400$, had any issues running Oblivion.

Yes in a few years PC games will probably look noticably better than console games, but will they actually be better, mor enetertaining games? The answer to that is no. they won't. PC games aren't better than console games. Actually, the last few years it seems to be consoles which have been getting the better games.

Also, for 300$ you get the full Playstation 3. The more expensive model just has a bigger hard drive.

• stuxstux Member Posts: 462

The console is the dumb or lazy man's computer gaming system.

Put the game in and play.  If they make it much more complicated then that it might as well be a PC.

From stand point of price the console systems when they are released are no cheaper then a decent PC these days.  About $500 can get you a decent gaming PC is you don't want everything maxed out, which would equal the console anyway.

I prefer the console system for action games, sports games, and first person shooters.  BUT THAT IS ME.  

I haven't played a decent MMO for a console system but that isn't to say they can't do it with proper design and the correct peripherals.  

have you seen ANY announcements for a new console? They are still developing games for the PS2 and how long ago did that console come out? Your comparing 2 different generations. Keep pulling at straws.

PS2 isn't 2 decades old. It's barely a single decade old.... if that. I'm pretty sure I was 17 or 18 when the PS2 launched, so that would make it 7 or 8yrs old.

I also didn't mean that as a serious point. But really, 2 decades? That's a long time. You're not even 2 decades old.

Edit: Released in 2000. ALMOST a decade old.

Or a 360 game that wont run on the 360 due to its hardware getting outdated... name one

I can name ALOT of them.

How about every-single-one-ever-made? lol

PS2 isn't 2 decades old. It's barely a single decade old.... if that. I'm pretty sure I was 17 or 18 when the PS2 launched, so that would make it 7 or 8yrs old.

I also didn't mean that as a serious point. But really, 2 decades? That's a long time. You're not even 2 decades old.

Where did i say the PS2 is 2 decades old? Please point it out to me. And if you actually read what i wrote i said this console generation and the next will mean i wont have to upgrade for 2 decades, since in the post i added an arbitrary 600$ to the budget to represent the next consoles being released. Read the posts before posting yourself.

Or a 360 game that wont run on the 360 due to its hardware getting outdated... name one

I can name ALOT of them.

you cant read very well can you? You're drawing at more straws to try and make an arguement .... sorry it isnt working.

Where did i say the PS2 is 2 decades old? Please point it out to me. And if you actually read what i wrote i said this console generation and the next will mean i wont have to upgrade for 2 decades. Read the posts before posting yourself.

Then why did you reply to me? Do you even know?

Cause, I sure as hell don't.

The only thing in I said in the post you replied to was talking about the guy saying consoles last for 2 decades.

I can name ALOT of them.

you cant read very well can you?

You can't take a joke can you?

Grrr. Nerdrage some more plz. Thanks.

Where did i say the PS2 is 2 decades old? Please point it out to me. And if you actually read what i wrote i said this console generation and the next will mean i wont have to upgrade for 2 decades. Read the posts before posting yourself.

Then why did you reply to me? Do you even know?

Cause, I sure as hell don't.

The only thing in I said in the post you replied to was talking about the guy saying consoles last for 2 decades.

just a guess, and look up to your post ... the one where you replied to "the guy above you". Are you even reading the same thread as me?

Edit:

AHHH it was you that said that.

Go figure. I wasn't paying attention. I rarely pay attention to names.

How's the NES still treatin you though?

Edit 2:

I re-read it several times and I think I got what you were saying finally. lol

You don't write very clear, do you know that?

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035
    Originally posted by Deleted User

I am going to end the arugment which is better PC or Console, its common sense the PC is the better choice, video games started with the pc.

No, games started on special rigs with a monitor for dedicated play. They were not anywhere near the form of a "PC", as home computers had yet to exist. The first games were cabinets, arcade games actually, that's how it started and consoles took games to the "home arcade" format. They made the games on PCs soon after, and the simplest way to emulate the software was directly from the source PC, so PC gaming was easier to do for developers during the console wars, not to mention the FMV craze that would have been impossible on an SNES.

So to sum this all up - arcade games came first, but whether PC games were hitting a market before Atari 2600 should be researched, since I can't tell ya. I swear I've played an Apple version of Carmen SanDiego that predates pong, but I might be wrong. Also if you wanna consider a commodore a home computer over a gaming system then you can say PC came first, but that's stretching it IMO.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• BloodDualityBloodDuality Member UncommonPosts: 404

This same debate comes up at least once a week, and everyone says the same things each time. I will just go and say that we are all gamers, and regardless of the hardware differences, we are all apart of the same community. It is time that everyone gets along, and just enjoys these amazing games we get to play.

Edit 2:

yeah i get that sometimes

Edit 2:

yeah i get that sometimes

• BakgrindBakgrind Member UncommonPosts: 423
    Originally posted by Forumfall

Not to mention couch+big tv+5.1 in the whole room > sitting stiff infront of a desk.

I dunno sitting on a couch 10 feet away from the tv  has always been for me detached gaming where as sitting in front of my 25 .5 inch monitor in my very comfy chair is more immersive for me. To each his/her own tho.

• Blank300Blank300 Member Posts: 62

Both are good for gamming, PC and Consoles, however myself, I find PC 's for gamming ten times better then any Playstation 3 or Xbox360 unit.

todays consoles cost about 300-450$ todays top video cards can range from 400-900 or if you wanna go even further 2600 Per video card, now if people really think that a conole has better graphics and better games, I don't think so, hell even building a custom computer with half decent hardware ( half decent, like a no name brand ) can run well over the Conole price.

Alot of people like to go Console because alot of people don't know what their system specs are and when they purchase a PC game, buy it and try to install it ona crap ass machine, it does'nt work so they try to bring it back and the store won't take it back because the box was opened, EB game policy, so I can see how people who do not understand how computers work and what the specs of a dxdiag stand for, would go for consoles, but as far as Multiplaying games, FPS, MMO's hell any game for that matter, the King is PC gamming all the way.

P.S consoles: 300-450$ PC: 800-13 000$ for the top of the line comp, thats like taking a Ford Tempo and comparing it to a lamborghini, makes no sense.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

WTH......these PC gamers are still floundering on the beach.....someone hand me my bat.

Seriously, when you guys do your homework, then you can come to the table like bigbois. Each of the current generation consoles had it's main graphic processor custom built by either NVidia or ATi........I'll say that again.....CUSTOM BUILT. Now let that simmer in for a minute. If the giants of the industry fueling your precious PC gaming needs are doing this for consoles then what possible leg do you have to stand on?

And it's known that these custom processors are made knowing that they will have to serve TWO purposes:

1. They have to be able deliver stable performance for a longer period of time than their PC counterparts.
    2. They have to be cutting edge enough to take advantage of software improvements for at least the next 10 years.

This is why games on consoles improve so well as a system ages. They are built to get better with time and no hardware upgrades needed. Look at it this way.......

You can go to a auto show and see prototype cars and production model cars, prototypes serve as groundwork for some features we can look forward to in production models somewhere down the line. But as it stands now they are too impractical, expensive and advanced to offer up as is.

That's not to say you cannot mod your jalopy to be better than that prototype, but hell...since you don't know what it's tech consist of you'll never know. And that how this video processor tech is....you DO NOT know what potential they have running under their hoods.........but it damn sure delivers. And that's only because it's being built by the industry's best, period.

I mean don't get me wrong....PCs are good for flash games, MMOs, card games, bejeweled variations and modders. But it's something about playing virtually lag-free/hack from the comfort of my couch, in front of my big screen, trash-talking my buddies over X-Box live or any bluetooth headset I get for my PS3 and not having to worry about anything other than enjoying the next game we want to play together.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• Blank300Blank300 Member Posts: 62
    Originally posted by Ramonski7

WTH......these PC gamers are still floundering on the beach.....someone hand me my bat.
    Seriously, when you guys do your homework, then you can come to the table like bigbois. Each of the current generation consoles had it's main graphic processor custom built by either NVidia or ATi........I'll say that again.....CUSTOM BUILT. Now let that simmer in for a minute. If the giants of the industry fueling your precious PC gaming needs are doing this for consoles then what possible leg do you have to stand on?

And it's known that these custom processors are made knowing that they will have to serve TWO purposes:

They have to be able deliver stable performance for a longer period of time than their PC counterparts.
    They have to be cutting edge enough to take advantage of software improvements for at least the next 10 years.

This is why games on consoles improve so well as a system ages. They are built to get better with time and no hardware upgrades needed. Look at it this way.......

You can go to a auto show and see prototype cars and production model cars, prototypes serve as groundwork for some features we can look forward to in production models somewhere down the line. But as it stands now they are too impractical, expensive and advanced to offer up as is.

That's not to say you cannot mod your jalopy to be better than that prototype, but hell...since you don't know what it's tech consist of you'll never know. And that how this video processor tech is....you DO NOT know what potential they have running under their hoods.........but it damn sure delivers. And that's only because it's being built by the industry's best, period.

I mean don't get me wrong....PCs are good for flash games, MMOs, card games, bejeweled variations and modders. But it's something about playing virtually lag-free/hack from the comfort of my couch, in front of my big screen, trash-talking my buddies over X-Box live or any bluetooth headset I get for my PS3 and not having to worry about anything other than enjoying the next game we want to play together.

You have no idea what you are talking about.

Yes some consoles are built with ATI and Nvidia but lets put fact to fact here, the best video cards on the market are for the PC, PC is the ultimate gamming machines you can get, Like I said before consoles are good for a  low budget gamer who just can't afford a PC gamming rig.

I got a question for ya, if Consoles are sooo great, how come the most graphical advanced game  Crysis is'nt on any console? thats because they don't have the power,and the graphics to run that game at all,

Pc games also improve on a regular basis, I don't know about you but my PC can run any game out there with a very stable performance that outmatches any console system, and you also think that PCs are cutting edge? OMG, sorry but you really have no idea what you are talking about and thus should'nt even be here on this forum with your ideas that a console is better, to get back to the question, PC's get  " DRIVER " updates to improve system performance and stability. Having worked for Microsoft on the technical side of things, we had the pleasure of testing which is better, A: Console or B: Computer with Vista, what we did was we took 2 of the same game and played them on each machine and let me tell you, the computer beats the console in a big way, sharper improved graphics, textures and improved stability and higher Frame rates per second. So I will tell you that you literaly have no idea what you are talking about and I suggest you stick with your console, it's a good thing, not everyone is smart enough to own and operate a Customer built PC, good day

• metalhead980metalhead980 Member Posts: 2,658

This thread is so sad.

If you hate another platform so much that you would avoid buying it and miss out on some great games it's your loss.

I would never just stick to one platform.

To the one poster that spent $2500 on a rig to still be adding more cash into it only a year after buying it your crazy to even compare pricing with consoles.

360 and PS3 still have around 5 years life left and both are $299.

In five years you will spend probably three times the price of that console for upgrades.

That quite a sum of money for a rig that is unable to play games like Halo3, MGS4, Infamous and other amazing console exclusives.

PLaying: EvE, Ryzom

Waiting For: Earthrise, Perpetuum

• kamikkazekamikkaze Member Posts: 83

i have a major issue with the console's joystick. It's impossible for me to play a FPS game with them...

and theres no point to say they r better than our good and old mouse+keyboard combo...

i respect the fact companies dont want portabe games for PC due piracy, its a good reason, but many multiplataform games seems to be better on PC than on consoles. That's what i use to read in reviews and forums posts at least

LOTRO player