Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Consoles never PC forever

adoniskevadoniskev Member Posts: 92

I am going to end the arugment which is better PC or Console, its common sense the PC is the better choice, video games started with the pc.

If we all stopped purchasing console games perhaps the evolution of gaming would be ten years ahead. Consoles are made for one purpose, affordable to make and easier to distribute.

Sadly in this industry its all about money...This industry is exactly like a pharmacutial company...give the consumer pain relief never the absolute cure.

P.S for the smart  ____ out there that will tell me a console in a sense is a pc...perhaps but its not as versatile...

Comments

• soap46soap46 Member Posts: 169

I've actually had the chance to use one of these, and I must admit that it is pretty damn cool.  I played RE5 on it and it worked like a charm.  The only thing here is that only certain games are supported for it.  Also, you need one hell of a graphics card (I'd go with no lower than a GTX 280) to run games in this smoothly, as it is very taxing on resources.  It's a good product, and it works well, but just remember that it may be a bigger investment than you'd originally think with a new card and all. 

Kickass monitor in that bundle BTW.

• adoniskevadoniskev Member Posts: 92
    Originally posted by soap46

I've actually had the chance to use one of these, and I must admit that it is pretty damn cool.  I played RE5 on it and it worked like a charm.  The only thing here is that only certain games are supported for it.  Also, you need one hell of a graphics card (I'd go with no lower than a GTX 280) to run games in this smoothly, as it is very taxing on resources.  It's a good product, and it works well, but just remember that it may be a bigger investment than you'd originally think with a new card and all. 

I created a PC for less than 800 usd, and it plays every single game out there at high settings.  The only exception is crysis, even the high end graphics cards still have hiccups with this game.

• matt7789matt7789 Member Posts: 1

Consoles are computers, but a lot less versatile and were usually meant for only playing games. But nowadays consoles are incorporating other things into their operating systems.

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216
    Originally posted by adoniskev

I created a PC for less than 800 usd, and it plays every single game out there at high settings. 

for 800$ i can get a PS3/360 and 8 new games (maybe 7 if you include tax). And i wont have to worry about upgrading for the next 6-8 years. So i can save hundreds of dollars not worrying about upgrades for almost a decade and have twice as many games as you.

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

• ThenariusThenarius Member Posts: 1,106

Well, piracy is a big problem on PC. It's so damn easy, a google away, and actually makes some people wonder "Why pay money for it when i can download it in 15 minutes". Now with Microsoft raging around, it's far harder to pirate on 360 and PS3 pirating is almost non-existant.

So guess why all these companies prefer for making games for consoles? It doesn't exactly feel good when you're making no money from your product(even if it's a great one) while games developed for consoles make much more.

I prefer PC tho, you can do almost anything with a great PC and I like the fact that I can play around with the hardware.

• TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547

Well, I posted in another thread not too long ago about this kind of.

Back in the older days of gaming, there was a big separation of consoles and PCs. Games were pretty much, console only or PC only. Back then, you would find that PC games were of a much higher quality of gameplay and a lower quality of graphics. But, as soon as the game markets merged, is when you started to see a drastic decline in the quality of PC games to adapt to the general Console gamer. I guess it was because it was more complicated to have a gaming machine and run PC games, so that inevitably made the more complicated, more advanced gameplay games more popular on the PC. Where as a console, you plug it in to the TV and pop a cartridge or CD in.

There have been a couple games that made the move from PC only, to cross platform in later versions of the game. The Thief series is one of them. 1 & 2 were PC only and when it made the jump to Consoles, the game changed drastically and the quality went way down. Another one I can think of is Fallout 3.... but there may be several factors playing into the decreased quality of that compared to 1 & 2. There are more games that made the jump and got dumbed down in the process though..... I just don't remember what they are. I actually have a friend who's been ranting about this since it started happening and he's the one that knows most of the examples and he's not on atm. lol

Originally posted by tvalentine

I created a PC for less than 800 usd, and it plays every single game out there at high settings. 

for 800$ i can get a PS3/360 and 8 new games (maybe 7 if you include tax). And i wont have to worry about upgrading for the next 6-8 years. So i can save hundreds of dollars not worrying about upgrades for almost a decade and have twice as many games as you.

When the PS4 or XBox520 comes out, can you cannibalize parts of your PS3 or XBox360 to build them? Oh wait.......

You're just SoL paying $600-800 or however much they want to charge for each one. Sorry.

The computer I'm running right now, cost me $2500 last year. I built it from the ground up.

i7 920, X58 Extreme mobo, 1tb HD, 6gb DDR3 1600, GTX 280

That was last December. Today, it's still probably $3000 or more if you buy it from Dell or some other random gaming machine company, if you can get a decent speed bus on your mobo and your ram at a decent speed. Today, I can build the same machine for $1000 or so...... give or take. But, the best part is that I won't need to build another computer from scratch for at least 5 or 6yrs. If then.

I'm about to upgrade my HD to a 250gb SSD to run my OS and games from, keep the 1TB 7200 for storage and pretty much everything else. Because right now that's my bottle neck. The next part I'll probably upgrade is getting another GTX 280. Then after that, I would probably need a better processor and the socket LGA 1366 looks like it's going to be sticking around for at least 1 more version. I could always upgrade RAM sometime, but 6gb is plenty and I doubt I'll need more for awhile. If anything, I would upgrade it for a higher speed and not more RAM.

Regardless. It's a year old, I can still run games at EXTREME Settings and keep about an avg FPS of 60 or more. It's also not Overclocked, but every part I bought designed around the fact that I want to OC it someday. I just really haven't had the reason to yet.

But, like in my last post here. Back in the older days of computers, you really needed to upgrade them ALL THE DAMN TIME! Today, not so much. We've started to enter an age where computers are way more advanced than the software they run. Advancements seem to be going much slower than they used to too. I mean look at my machine, it's a YEAR old and the only thing that had just came out was the i7 was only a month old at the time. Today, it's still pretty much a top of the line rig. The only thing that's really changed in the hardware market is that existing products have been optimized and there have been some releases for the lower end parts that are able to compete with the higher end parts (i5 for example). 

• kopemakopema Member Posts: 263

I hate to break it to you, but you also need a big-screen TV to play console games.

Oh, wait, you can do other things with a TV so you don't count the price?

Believe it or not, you can do lots of things with a computer besides play video games.   And you need a new one about every six years to make even basic tasks run smoothly.

The only part of a computer primarily used for games is the video card.  If you wanted, you could buy a new one everytime the new consoles come out - for less money - and keep up with the performance of the consoles.  OR you could upgrade the video card as often or seldom as you want, which you can't do with consoles.

The only problem is the moron who thinks he HAS to throw away his graphics card CPU, ram, motherboard, etc., and buy the absolute bleeding edge complete system every six months.  'Cause if he doesn't get to be the "leetest" kid on the block, he doesn't want to play at all, damnit!  But consoles permit him to not worry about his e-peen size, and give him the safety blanket of knowing he's exactly the same as everyone else.

Actually, that one jerk isn't the problem.  The real problem is the fact that there are MILLIONS of people just like him out there.

• ForumfallForumfall Member Posts: 570

You can also turn it around and say that consoles are better simply because they are built and optimized solely for gaming. As opposed to pc with all the problems that can hit you randomly. Not to mention the exclusives which are only going to increase.

Not to mention couch+big tv+5.1 in the whole room > sitting stiff infront of a desk.

If this pc elitism shows one thing then that most of you morons have no clue about console gaming with a proper setup.

Originally posted by Forumfall

You can also turn it around and say that consoles are better simply because they are built and optimized solely for gaming. As opposed to pc with all the problems that can hit you randomly. Not to mention the exclusives which are only going to increase.

Not to mention couch+big tv+5.1 in the whole room > sitting stiff infront of a desk.

If this pc elitism shows one thing then that most of you morons have no clue about console gaming with a proper setup.

And now that all LCD/Plasma TVs have DVI, VGA, and/or HDMI......... not to mention that Games for Windows have the stipulation that they must be fully compatible with an XBox controller in order to get that title.......which most games are now.

Pretty much shows that you have no clue about PC gaming. At least your name fits.

Consoles are designed for gaming, but I can push way more FPS and better graphics out of my rig than you could ever hope for on your PS3/360. There isn't a game out that pushes my rig to it's limits.... well Crysis.... but yeah.... it's Crysis.

Don't even include the fact that for $50 you can turn your computer into a DVR and record shows while you play those games, run that over to an external and if you have a laptop too, you can have legit recorded shows free anywhere you go.

Yeah no... it's cool man. You can always mod your 360 to do 1/10th of the stuff a PC can do..... well if it's worth the risk.

• DevilXaphanDevilXaphan Member UncommonPosts: 1,144

Despite the advatages that consoles have over PC's, with PC games more can be done and added to them than the console version can.

Originally posted by TheHatter

And now that all LCD/Plasma TVs have DVI, VGA, and/or HDMI......... not to mention that Games for Windows have the stipulation that they must be fully compatible with an XBox controller in order to get that title.......which most games are now.

Pretty much shows that you have no clue about PC gaming. At least your name fits.

Consoles are designed for gaming, but I can push way more FPS and better graphics out of my rig than you could ever hope for on your PS3/360. There isn't a game out that pushes my rig to it's limits.... well Crysis.... but yeah.... it's Crysis.

Don't even include the fact that for $50 you can turn your computer into a DVR and record shows while you play those games, run that over to an external and if you have a laptop too, you can have legit recorded shows free anywhere you go.

Yeah no... it's cool man. You can always mod your 360 to do 1/10th of the stuff a PC can do..... well if it's worth the risk.

Riiiight... so in your scenario one would hook the comp onto the tv. Has to be awesome using a keyboard and mouse on a coffee table... hardly practical especially once you would like to do some actual work on your computer. That would mean you either need to get a second comp/notebook to work or you will be constantly moving it arround. And who the fuck wants a pc in the livingroom?

See a console gamer could just have a notebook (I don't know a single person these days that dosn't have one...) and use that to record shows while he enjoys a cinematic experience on his console that no fucking pc screen and high end comp will get you..

Now mods... what mods? They all suck... last good mod I played was DC for bf1942 but those days are over. Majority of mods are low quality and a waste of time. Talking about graphics, the gaps ofcourse widen once a console comes to the end of its lifespawn but the difference is small... Not the slightest relevant as far as GAMING is concerned.

I am a hybrid gamer if that's how you want to call it but I can't stand this garbage people like you spew around.

• soap46soap46 Member Posts: 169

I played on a "proper setup" and all that accomplished was me being able to hear screaming 12 year olds in Halo in 5.1... 

I'd much rather be on a PC where the clueless kids are in PVP servers in WoW and on Facebook and not in my games.  (For the most part)

Riiiight... so in your scenario one would hook the comp onto the tv. Has to be awesome using a keyboard and mouse on a coffee table... hardly practical especially once you would like to do some actual work on your computer. That would mean you either need to get a second comp/notebook to work or you will be constantly moving it arround. And who the fuck wants a pc in the livingroom?

Extended DVI/VGA/HDMI cables aren't expensive. Like $20.

Not to mention, there is abolusetly no reason why the TV can be configured as the second monitor in a dual monitor setup. I actually have mine configured as my 3rd monitor, because I already have a dual monitor setup on my desk.

See a console gamer could just have a notebook (I don't know a single person these days that dosn't have one...) and use that to record shows while he enjoys a cinematic experience on his console that no fucking pc screen and high end comp will get you..

Yeah... record through a USB TV Tuner? They are complete crap. I have the best one I could find. It has a high pitched squeal through every show. The quality is worse than if you're tyring to get an antenna to pick up an analog TV station 50 miles away and this is on digital cable.

Alternatively, you could have the manufacturer put a TV Tuner into your gaming laptop (which gaming laptops are expensive, heavy, and underpowered for the prices) for the minor fee of $300.

Now mods... what mods? They all suck... last good mod I played was DC for bf1942 but those days are over. Majority of mods are low quality and a waste of time. Talking about graphics, the gaps ofcourse widen once a console comes to the end of its lifespawn but the difference is small... Not the slightest relevant as far as GAMING is concerned.

Wow.... really? I can't even comment to this. I wasn't even talking about game mods. Wow dude... are you seriously that clueless? I sure hope you didn't click the link in my last post. :-|

I am a hybrid gamer if that's how you want to call it but I can't stand this garbage people like you spew around.

Heh, at least I know what I'm talking about. Like I said in my last post, your name fits you PERFECTLY.

Stick with consoles and remember, that Geek Squad is running some deals right now where they will set them up for you for $150! 

I'm sure you knew that already though. I bet you're mad you didn't get that deal when they setup yours, huh?

• ic0n67ic0n67 Member Posts: 776

What consoles can do for you is create a standard that you can't get in the PC world. When you buy an XBox 360 you can a certain set of components. The processors are all relatively as powerful. All the video cards are relatively the same. As a developer you can then have a set ceiling and floor to work with when making your game. Without those restrictions you would get what you had with Crisis a few years back when the specs for the game made most who wanted to play it almost break down in tears. Yes without the ceiling you can get progressively better and better and keep pushing the envelope, but that isn't necessarily the best course of action for the greater population.

PCs double in power every 18 months. A console generation lasts 7-8 years. By the time your console is obsolete you are looking at more like 9-10 years down the line. Assuming 9 years that is 108 months which equates to 6 upgrades the PC has made. So just on HDD space alone you would be looking at something of a 10 TB machine and Window 9 by the time this console cycle will end. You might be able to get a good rig for $800 today, and that might last you a while ... up you are looking at at least 3-4 upgrades of a PC over a 10 year span so you are looking at $2400 - $3200 spent on hardware alone over the time your $200 system will be active. Yes you are pushing the envelope more and more and your games are getting better and better, but for the general population that is not very economical to keep up and that ceiling that the consoles possess helps keep that consumer price check.

• ChealarChealar Member Posts: 268

Not to mention that not everybody has the sklsl to build their PCs from scratch...

• lous55lous55 Member Posts: 1

Lol, But there's going to be other Next Gen Consoles and your going to want to get it. With that 800bucks, I could just buy a new graphics card for my pc, Which can last me 5-7years without buying another system just because it's the next GEN. Then, Waiting a whole year so the price can go down.

• GiddianGiddian Member UncommonPosts: 418

You can argue this forever. The truth of the matter is, there will always be home PC's due to the many Uses for them. As far as gamming goes that is going to the Consoles, Like it or not. Before good Console games were PC converted to Console. Now it's going the other way. So far MMO's are the one thing that Consoles don’t do much YET.

With consoles there are no spec qualifications, no unfair advantages of the other guy having a beefier system. Every one is Equal except Internet connection and Skill.

Not all changes are for the Better. 8 Track was better than Cassette. Beta was better than VHS. So on and so forth. This is the way gaming is going.

Extended DVI/VGA/HDMI cables aren't expensive. Like $20.

Not to mention, there is abolusetly no reason why the TV can be configured as the second monitor in a dual monitor setup. I actually have mine configured as my 3rd monitor, because I already have a dual monitor setup on my desk.

Yeah... record through a USB TV Tuner? They are complete crap. I have the best one I could find. It has a high pitched squeal through every show. The quality is worse than if you're tyring to get an antenna to pick up an analog TV station 50 miles away and this is on digital cable.

Alternatively, you could have the manufacturer put a TV Tuner into your gaming laptop (which gaming laptops are expensive, heavy, and underpowered for the prices) for the minor fee of $300.

Wow.... really? I can't even comment to this. I wasn't even talking about game mods. Wow dude... are you seriously that clueless? I sure hope you didn't click the link in my last post. :-|

Heh, at least I know what I'm talking about. Like I said in my last post, your name fits you PERFECTLY.

Stick with consoles and remember, that Geek Squad is running some deals right now where they will set them up for you for $150! 

I'm sure you knew that already though. I bet you're mad you didn't get that deal when they setup yours, huh?

Pc gaming dosn't have that much of an edge over console gaming, and for every advantage there are enough disadvantages so take that as you want. I prefer not to be narrowminded and limit myself to only one way. Variety all the way.

I build/oc my rigs myself. And you thought building comps made you something special? I don't work in the IT field and I figured out what parts to order in a couple of minutes back when I built my first rig. Take that elitism and shove it where the sun don't shine.

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

PC gaming isn't going anywhere. It's extremely easier to develop and distribute PC games as an indie developer than it is for consoles. So even if all the big name developers jump onto the console bandwagon with their uninspired eye-candy game play, there will still be plenty of fun and innovative PC games to come.

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

The computer I'm running right now, cost me $2500 last year. I built it from the ground up.

i7 920, X58 Extreme mobo, 1tb HD, 6gb DDR3 1600, GTX 280

That was last December. Today, it's still probably $3000 or more if you buy it from Dell or some other random gaming machine company, if you can get a decent speed bus on your mobo and your ram at a decent speed. Today, I can build the same machine for $1000 or so...... give or take. But, the best part is that I won't need to build another computer from scratch for at least 5 or 6yrs. If then.

Dell gaming machine company? You could get a better PC than dell's from the dump.

Originally posted by Ceridith

PC gaming isn't going anywhere. It's extremely easier to develop and distribute PC games as an indie developer than it is for consoles. So even if all the big name developers jump onto the console bandwagon with their uninspired eye-candy game play, there will still be plenty of fun and innovative PC games to come.

Lets take a look at the Latest farce, Call of Duty :Modern Warfare 2. This is a series that has started with the PC's and were made huge by PC. the new one comes out and it's nothing more than a Console conversion, No Dedicated servers. So the PC Community form a Boycott.  Did NOTHING. MW2 is the biggest game to hit the market. and they all but said they don't care about the PC community. This is the direction on wich the devs are going. I don't like it, but I accept it.

• ic0n67ic0n67 Member Posts: 776
    Originally posted by Jimmy562

Dell gaming machine company? You could get a better PC than dell's from the dump.

Dell does own alien ware ... just saying ...

Originally posted by ic0n67

Originally posted by Jimmy562

Dell does own alien ware ... just saying ...

Dell has done all right by me

• adoniskevadoniskev Member Posts: 92

I have not completed a console game in the last five years since I moved down here to florida.  I have a ps3 and a WII.  I really do not find any ps3 games fun unless its a MMORPG where I can truly feel some replay value.  Diablo and WOW kept me too busy to actually pay attention to console gaming.  Dreamcast has a online game, SPEED DEVILS...I have to say great memories playing that game. I also remember phantasy star online....awesome...I really miss those games.