Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wait, what? "Pay Type:Subscription" ?

What the hell, when did this happen? Wasn't this game supposed to be free and based on micro-transactions?

Comments

• ic0n67ic0n67 Member Posts: 776
    Originally posted by Ozovich

What the hell, when did this happen? Wasn't this game supposed to be free and based on micro-transactions?

>.> <.< ..... no

• Sevas88Sevas88 Member Posts: 83

why on earth would you want this game to go off of mini transactions? Only crappy f2p asian games do that, and as I mentioned they're crappy.

• DiSpLiFFDiSpLiFF Member UncommonPosts: 602

is this a serious question?

• ValiumSummerValiumSummer Member Posts: 1,008

In my experiences, I've enjoyed subscription based games much more than f2p games (with micro transactions).

• DraftbeerDraftbeer Member UncommonPosts: 517
    Originally posted by DiSpLiFF

is this a serious question?

Hope not

• EuphorykEuphoryk Member Posts: 450

Might want to check your sources OP, TOR was never planned to run on MT.

• SebaliSebali Member UncommonPosts: 395

you all need to do more reading before you jumop down someones throat.

the payment model has never been confirmed one way or another

but after the revealing of this www.massively.com/2008/12/09/star-wars-the-old-republic-to-be-microtransaction-based/

the ratings for ToR took a serious nose dive everywhere.

so they kinda denied it someplace else(cant find the link right now)

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

i think it was rumoured at one time to be subscription + micro transaction, but it was just a rumour

• XianthosXianthos Member Posts: 723

F2P would be a reason a game would die for me. As it is always more expensive for me as subscribe based games ;)

EvE doors

See the best doors on EvE-on!

• greed0104greed0104 Member Posts: 2,134
    Originally posted by Sebali

this too

www.starwarsmmo.net/news/swtor-to-be-microtransaction-based/

These are rumors and are very old ones. LA labeled these as such and said no payment method has been announced.

• SebaliSebali Member UncommonPosts: 395
    Originally posted by Sebali

you all need to do more reading before you jumop down someones throat.

the payment model has never been confirmed one way or another
    but after the revealing of this www.massively.com/2008/12/09/star-wars-the-old-republic-to-be-microtransaction-based/

the ratings for ToR took a serious nose dive everywhere.
    so they kinda denied it someplace else(cant find the link right now)

guess thats why i wrote this earlier?

it was stated by someone in "the know".

there was SERIOUS backlash against it almost immidietly.

so the rumor/denial was started, once again, by thoise "in the know"

that said, i have no idea what theyre gonna go payment wise. my guess would be a subscription with a "shop" to buy non essential items such as decorative clothing and such

• mrroboto40mrroboto40 Member UncommonPosts: 657

Most likely going to be subscription with an item shop of some sort.

• dalevi1dalevi1 Member Posts: 829
    Originally posted by Ozovich

"We'll follow this story as it develops."

It never developed, hence they never followed it.

Played (more than a month): SWG, Second Life, Tabula Rasa, Lineage 2, Everquest 2, EvE, MxO, Ryzom.

Tried: WoW, Shadowbane, Anarchy Online, Everquest, WWII Online, Planetside

Beta: Lotro, Tabula Rasa, WAR.

• OzovichOzovich Member Posts: 7

I really hope it won't be another subscription-based game but something like Guild Wars, you buy the box and expansions, no killer montly fee. Guild Wars is still doing very well which means that model of payment works.

• Darth_OsorDarth_Osor Member Posts: 1,089

Most likely it's going to be both sub+MT.  No way in Hell it is strictly MT.

• junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712

I would rather it be subscription.  Free to play games, at least to me, seem less polished and have less content than sub based games.  There are exceptions, of course.  Free to play games usually have pretty bad communities as well, at least in my experience.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167
    Originally posted by mrroboto40

This, also it was rumored the game would be $12.95 to play. Actually it was a in a survey someone had taken where the question was asked, would you pay $12.95 per month to play it? A lot of the other survey questions that were posted have been confirmed so far, so I have no reason not to believe this. We shall see, but most likely you will pay per month, and there will be some paid services.

My main gripe about this game atm is the 4 force users aspect of the game. Not sure why they did that, there must be a reason but to me it just seemed kinda rushed in to fill 2 more gaps.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by tillamook

This, also it was rumored the game would be $12.95 to play. Actually it was a in a survey someone had taken where the question was asked, would you pay $12.95 per month to play it? A lot of the other survey questions that were posted have been confirmed so far, so I have no reason not to believe this. We shall see, but most likely you will pay per month, and there will be some paid services.

My main gripe about this game atm is the 4 force users aspect of the game. Not sure why they did that, there must be a reason but to me it just seemed kinda rushed in to fill 2 more gaps.

Because force classes are popular? And they have to do 2 or 4 .. so that it is balance between the two sides. If they do 3, people will cry bloody murder.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Originally posted by tillamook

Because force classes are popular? And they have to do 2 or 4 .. so that it is balance between the two sides. If they do 3, people will cry bloody murder.

I already figured it was a balance thing, total of 4 gun wielders/4 force wielders, I was just hoping they would get a little bit more creative with them, that's all.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• TarkaTarka Member Posts: 1,662

Personally I prefer access to ALL of the content if I'm enjoying the game.  However, I have previously been enjoying DDO Unlimited's style of transactions for a brief period.  But I believe that a brand new MMO would never get away with MT's like DDO.  After all, they need to recoup their development costs in order to make profit.  And by having a regular subscription payment method they can better gauge when that will happen.

Perhaps later on they may change to MT's, but I seriously doubt they'd do it from the outset.

As for the number of force users, I'm hoping that BW will balance them to the point whereby people see them as the SWTOR equivalent of caster classes with melee weapons.  Thus they won't be all powerful.

• BenjolaBenjola Member UncommonPosts: 843

Why would they make it FTP with micros when they can do both?

There seems to be a large blind fanboi base that would be more then willing to pay sub + cash shop sillyness.

Bioware would be dumb not to exploit those "players" heh.

I care about your gaming 'problems' and teenage anxieties, just not today.

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

Companies are finding out it's better to make AAA games with both a subscription and an item mall, that's all, why the hell make it F2P if the game isn't facing population problems  (and isn't some random 4 year old Asian game getting released over here), and why not squeeze money from people that feel like being scammed in purchasing virtual 0 and 1s (or merely supporting it) from a virtual shop with infinite offer, and make it possible for the most money-making business model to exist - P2P with item malls. Even the Juggernaut is a Subscription + Item mall MMO.

• IrishoakIrishoak Member Posts: 633

F2P games also have a mechanic that directly encourages them to make the best features cost more and more. Where as P2P games require retention which usually translates into more content and polish.