Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Whats the second most popular mmorpg ?

Comments

• GPrestigeGPrestige Member UncommonPosts: 523

FFIX has about 500k subs, according to info they released a few months ago. That is higher than any of the other information released. This excludes all the koreans playing LoLineage1/2.

-Computer specs no one cares about: check.

-MMOs played no one cares about: check.

-Xfire stats no one cares about: check.

-Signature no one cares about: check.

------------------------------------------------------------
    -Narcissism: check.

• SignusMSignusM Member Posts: 2,225
    Originally posted by googajoob7

We all know WoW can boast players in the millions still but which pay to play mmo comes in second place ( talking world wide numbers here and has to be released in the west ) .

There are a few Asian MMOs that have higher sub rate than WoW. WoW kind of fibs a bit on how many subscribers they have. The zeneth of WoW's reign has passed. Aside from them, hmm, some Asian MMO probably, theres bucket loads of them. 

• ZarobienZarobien Member UncommonPosts: 24

I think Aion was the second biggest mmo in Asia last year. Biggest was still WoW. Both of them where way ahead of all others.

In europe Aion wasnt lauched yeat but theres big subscriber numbers posted this year. I'm quessing Aion will take the 2nd biggest mmo place worldwide for 2010.

Eve Online isnt even near those two but it holds nicely when you compare it to other space or scifi mmos.

• SignusMSignusM Member Posts: 2,225
    Originally posted by Zarobien

I think Aion was the second biggest mmo in Asia last year. Biggest was still WoW. Both of them where way ahead of all others.
    In europe Aion wasnt lauched yeat but theres big subscriber numbers posted this year. I'm quessing Aion will take the 2nd biggest mmo place worldwide for 2010.
    Eve Online isnt even near those two but it holds nicely when you compare it to other space or scifi mmos.

Not so, WoW lost all its Chinese subscribers earlier, lost about 8 million subs.  

• NinjaNerfNinjaNerf Member Posts: 163
    Originally posted by SignusM

Originally posted by googajoob7

We all know WoW can boast players in the millions still but which pay to play mmo comes in second place ( talking world wide numbers here and has to be released in the west ) .

There are a few Asian MMOs that have higher sub rate than WoW. WoW kind of fibs a bit on how many subscribers they have. The zeneth of WoW's reign has passed. Aside from them, hmm, some Asian MMO probably, theres bucket loads of them. 

Quoted from GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS® ANNOUNCES AWARDS AT E3 EXPO™ CONVENTION:

"LOS ANGELES-June 5th, 2009- On the heels of February’s launch of the annual Guinness World Records 2009 Gamer’sEdition, representatives were on hand at the E3 Expo this week to honor gaming publishers with brand new records.

Blizzard Entertainment’s Mike Morhaime and Paul Sams accepted the records for World of Warcraft for the Most Popular MMORPG with a total of 11.6 million subscribers and Starcraft for being the Best Selling Strategy Game for a PC, selling 9.5 million copies worldwide.

(rest skipped)"

Guinness didn't recognize any of the "few Asian MMOs that have higher sub rate than WoW".

Also, according to Guinness the Most Popular free to play MMORPG is runescape but with only 1+ million subscribers. RS might have picked up more subscribers since the annoncement but one can imagine they are still far behind WoW in term of subscribers. F2P, particularly those asian ones won't be problems for WoW for quite a while.

I think the second most popular mmorpg overall is very likely to be one of the NCSoft games, most likely Aion for now but it will fall back to earth next year.

LoTRO may be catching up. If they keep the subscription fee at $10 a month they will overtake Aion but still won't catch WoW.

Eve subscription rate is only a bubble. You only see their ads and virtual people talking about them in the virtual world. When you go play the game yourself you won't find as many "real" players in it than many other top games.

• LiltawenLiltawen Member UncommonPosts: 245

LOTRO is solid. Will FF XI still be there after FF 14 comes out?

• GPrestigeGPrestige Member UncommonPosts: 523

Originally posted by Zarobien

Not so, WoW lost all its Chinese subscribers earlier, lost about 8 million subs.  

Yeah its insane how many of the WoW subs are chinese. Also, what people don't understand, is that in China they pay a fraction of the subscription fee that we pay. CHECK HERE

-Computer specs no one cares about: check.

-MMOs played no one cares about: check.

-Xfire stats no one cares about: check.

-Signature no one cares about: check.

------------------------------------------------------------
    -Narcissism: check.

• tryklontryklon Member UncommonPosts: 1,370
    Originally posted by TheHatter

Originally posted by tryklon

P2P it's Aion, several data confirms that. But you go F2P there are numerous asian games that have millions of players worldwide

Because AION isn't F2P in Asia or anything.

:-|

lol

Well, Aion uses the same payment method as WoW in Asia, they pay by the hour.... so, if you are gonna consider Aion F2P, we have a problem there since you are also considering WoW F2p

• TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547

Originally posted by TheHatter

P2P it's Aion, several data confirms that. But you go F2P there are numerous asian games that have millions of players worldwide

Because AION isn't F2P in Asia or anything.

:-|

lol

Well, Aion uses the same payment method as WoW in Asia, they pay by the hour.... so, if you are gonna consider Aion F2P, we have a problem there since you are also considering WoW F2p

You can do that, but WoW still has more western subs than most games combined.

• dstar.dstar. Member Posts: 474

I'd like to know the second most popular game in the west.  Probably still Aion but I bet it has a lot of close competition.  I personally don't care what the Asians play.

• ChrisMatternChrisMattern Member Posts: 1,478

Originally posted by googajoob7 We all know WoW can boast players in the millions still but which pay to play mmo comes in second place ( talking world wide numbers here and has to be released in the west ) .

Well, I can trust that assertion, given that you've named the MMOs that have surpassed WoW, given their subscription numbers, explained how and why WoW lies about *their* subscriptions numbers and identified what their true subscriptions numbers are, and given solid sources for all this.

• DevilXaphanDevilXaphan Member UncommonPosts: 1,144
    Originally posted by Zorndorf

Originally posted by Frostbite05

Originally posted by DiSpLiFF

i would say EVE also if were just talking about the west. I'm sure Aion had a pretty good start but its lost a lot of players after the free month was up. I don't think Aion will suffer as bad as WAR and AoC, but I highly doubt it will keep good numbers once TERA comes out. 

heh aion still well above anything else in the west my friend. The game itself isn't broken like war and aoc were.

Proof ?

Where are those official paid subscription numbers of Aion in the East ????

Where are those official subscription numbers of Aion world wide??

Nowhere to be seen

And ... even 2 months after the western launch NCsoft doesn't publish any subs numbers in the West. AoC did, War did, WOW did 2 monts after launch ....

As for Xfire .... They SELL the damned thing througn Xfire, so those stats are worthless now.

14NA/18EU servers (not even full) means they are WAY BELOW the Korean number of players (400K on 42 servers)...

NCSoft being quiet on the subject means .... they didn't reach that 2nd place in the west.

Not by a long shot.

Aion fans: PROVE it or shut up the lying .

oh and btw : 300K subs for EVE WAS announced officialy....this year. Just like the 11.5 million of WOW. Official.

So where is that official NCSoft statement of subscribers ?:)))

And WOW doesn't have 10 million subscriptions, big deal. I can still say Aion is the second most popular MMO and you can't dispute it's not.

Originally posted by DevilXaphan

i would say EVE also if were just talking about the west. I'm sure Aion had a pretty good start but its lost a lot of players after the free month was up. I don't think Aion will suffer as bad as WAR and AoC, but I highly doubt it will keep good numbers once TERA comes out. 

heh aion still well above anything else in the west my friend. The game itself isn't broken like war and aoc were.

Proof ?

Nowhere to be seen

And ... even 2 months after the western launch NCsoft doesn't publish any subs numbers in the West. AoC did, War did, WOW did 2 monts after launch ....

As for Xfire .... They SELL the damned thing througn Xfire, so those stats are worthless now.

14NA/18EU servers (not even full) means they are WAY BELOW the Korean number of players (400K on 42 servers)...

NCSoft being quiet on the subject means .... they didn't reach that 2nd place in the west.

Not by a long shot.

oh and btw : 300K subs for EVE WAS announced officialy....this year. Just like the 11.5 million of WOW. Official.

And WOW doesn't have 10 million subscriptions, big deal. I can still say Aion is the second most popular MMO and you can't dispute it's not.

Ofc he cant. He only has 2 options there, to ignore the Asian market, and in that case wow has only 4,5k or around that, or count thee Asian market to give wow it's 11,5k, assuming theres nothing wrong with the chinese market and its fiasco.

Either way Aion is clearly the 2nd on the market.

But I find it funny for a guy that always defended XFire numbers now to come and say XFire is good for everygame except for Aion. The guy just fell on the ridicularity and doesnt even seem to see it...

• RaztorRaztor Member Posts: 670

Originally posted by DevilXaphan

Proof ?

Nowhere to be seen

Not by a long shot.

Ofc he cant. He only has 2 options there, to ignore the Asian market, and in that case wow has only 4,5k or around that, or count thee Asian market to give wow it's 11,5k, assuming theres nothing wrong with the chinese market and its fiasco.

Either way Aion is clearly the 2nd on the market.

But I find it funny for a guy that always defended XFire numbers now to come and say XFire is good for everygame except for Aion. The guy just fell on the ridicularity and doesnt even seem to see it...

Aion is clearly the 2nd biggest on the market? Since when? Do you have official figures to back that statement or is this another one of those chinese whispers people hear from friends of friends? Please don't spout BS statements unless you can back them up.

Here you go, some numbers like WoW fans like. Ofc, they will always refute them in relation to Aion, but gladly accept them in respect to WoW... =P

The market share: www.xfire.com/genre/mmo/massively_multiplayer_online/

The MMOData studies: users.telenet.be/mmodata/Charts/1m-12m.png

(since Runescape is a browser game XFire cant acknoledge it ofc)

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

Well, if we are sticking with the Western market it is EVE followed by LOTRO.

If we are talking Asian also, really who cares, because those games are crap.

• VandiegoVandiego Member Posts: 34

Aion East is a pay-per-minute system instead of a subscription service so why would you ever expect to see subscription numbers from there?

Edit: And we all know Mafia Wars on facebook is the most popular MMO ever.

Originally posted by Vandiego

Aion East is a pay-per-minute system instead of a subscription service so why would you ever expect to see subscription numbers from there?

Because WoW uses the EXACT SAME system and they count them, or else why do you think they advertise 11Millions?

• VandiegoVandiego Member Posts: 34

Originally posted by Vandiego

Because WoW uses the EXACT SAME system and they count them, or else why do you think they advertise 11Millions?

NCSoft isn't Blizzard, just because one company chooses to inflate numbers doesn't mean another has too as well.

• RaztorRaztor Member Posts: 670

Here you go, some numbers like WoW fans like. Ofc, they will always refute them in relation to Aion, but gladly accept them in respect to WoW... =P

This bit made me laugh from MMOData:

"I estimated Aion Asia numbers on 2,5m as NCSoft does not want to confirm the 3,5m and they do not release subscription numbers anymore in their quarterly reports."

Yea... very reliable. Sorry, but I was talking about official data. NSoft released the sales figure earlier (somewhere around 700 or 800k  or something like that). That is the only official thing we can take for certain. Until the Xfire numbers get stable for Aion, it's too early to use that as an indicator of subs. 

For now, EvE remains the second most popular MMO in the Western market. When we get a subs number from Asia (a sub is an account that has been paid and played for in the last 30 days), then we can have a better idea of of where we stand.

Originally posted by Raztor

This bit made me laugh from MMOData:

"I estimated Aion Asia numbers on 2,5m as NCSoft does not want to confirm the 3,5m and they do not release subscription numbers anymore in their quarterly reports."

Yea... very reliable. Sorry, but I was talking about official data. NSoft released the sales figure earlier (somewhere around 700 or 800k  or something like that). That is the only official thing we can take for certain. Until the Xfire numbers get stable for Aion, it's too early to use that as an indicator of subs. 

For now, EvE remains the second most popular MMO in the Western market. When we get a subs number from Asia (a sub is an account that has been paid and played for in the last 30 days), then we can have a better idea of of where we stand.

Not even Blizzard puts subscription numbers in their quarterly reports anymore and i have looked. Besides NcSoft has confirmed 970K box sales from NA/EU. Even if they lost half that number they would still be the second most popular MMO.

• grandpagamergrandpagamer Member Posts: 2,221

You mean im not suffering from paranoid delusions? So as i suspected, there is a double standard when talking about WOW Vs. any other game?  What is truly amusing is that they defend sub numbers more than any other aspect of the game because if any doubt gets cast upon the sub number shell game then the whole "look how many people love WOW" scenario implodes.

• vellusvellus Member Posts: 30

I would go with POGO.  Lots of people playing cards, checkers, battleship, texas holdem, etc....?

Originally posted by grandpagamer

You mean im not suffering from paranoid delusions? So as i suspected, there is a double standard when talking about WOW Vs. any other game?  What is truly amusing is that they defend sub numbers more than any other aspect of the game because if any doubt gets cast upon the sub number shell game then the whole "look how many people love WOW" scenario implodes.

Seems you haven't had any of the "Special Kool-Aid" they passed out. You get a cookie of your choice.

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

It's so hard to tell these days, since there are a lot of guess work, too much emphasis on counting xfire numbers, and too many unconfirmed "insider" info.  You kinda have to judge things by looking to see if a game is consolidating servers, whether their forums are filled with complaints about not able to find players to play with, and get an idea from people that actually play the game who aren't fanboys.

My unconfirmed guess for 2nd most popular (based on number of subscriptions) for western MMO is probably Eve, Aion, or LOTR Online.  Aion is mentioned mostly only because it's still fairly new, and people flood to new MMO's since everybody is dying for new games to play lately.  Eve has been fairly steady so has LOTR Online, both are games people don't usually talk negatively about.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO