Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Death to the faction leader do we even care anymore??

IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509

I rolled a pally alliance recently and was in SW the other night when low and behold a 40 man Horde raid came in for the death of the King come to find out they just got done with the IF King and only one maybe two players took interest. SAD I remember the time when raiding use to mean fighting words and at the first hint of a Faction raid many would gather very quickly to defend the King or Dark Lady lol

Not now all it is a joke a achievement. Big deal. I witness that overkill and yes it was a overkill it took them less then five mins if that. What could Blizz do to reverse this? Well I say make the faction leader worth protecting they should of give a achievement and maybe even honor points or better yet a area buff to the defending team. And if the defending team is to lazy to defend maybe AH of that city should be out of commission for a hour or so?? I know that would be a nice incentive to maybe care once more.

Meh prob not. Just a side point maybe if the raid is a success how bout a epic drop perhaps a epic mount (flying would be nice)

Comments

• caalemcaalem Member UncommonPosts: 289

3 years ago:

[World defense]RandomHWL: THE ALLIANCE ARE ATTACKING THRALL, EVERY HORDE TO THRALL

Now:

[trade]arthas0101sephiroth:lol guiz the alliance r kiling thrall again for achievements LOL

[trade]dkdeathknight: ANYONE WANT TO FARM SOME HEROICS? 4200 GEARSCORE DPS

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

The only way is to offer gear rewards. That's the only thing the majority of WoW players care about.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• akritasakritas Member Posts: 76

If your kings dies you get disconnected for 10min....hmm that might wake up some people lol, anything else mehhh....

pets, mounts, titles ? people got plenty of those  already.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

To be fair, the current king of SW is a raging, violent, bloodthirsty a**hole. Never bothered to defend him when I played, in fact I kinda wished I could help, hehe.

• sebbonxsebbonx Member Posts: 318
    Originally posted by Palebane

The only way is to offer gear rewards. That's the only thing the majority of WoW players care about.

It is every game, including that old turd EQ1 where when we attacked the gnome city the gnome n00bs only cared we killed the merchants. Worse yet GM's nearly banned some of us for "disrupting the game".

If you have any questions please ask. I have moved on to WoW from eq and no longer have any desire to play a dead game. Thank you. (posted by another selling his account in EQ1)

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509
    Originally posted by Rednecksith

To be fair, the current king of SW is a raging, violent, bloodthirsty a**hole. Never bothered to defend him when I played, in fact I kinda wished I could help, hehe.

Interesting thought..... lol it seems that if you do care about the game you are playing and the enemy comes in and Kills your Factions King it should make you or give you a thought of emotion to the game. Or in other words did WoW lose it luster since at one time it use to be that gamers who played did care and if a Opposing Faction came in for the raid the defending faction quickly organized and defended there city whichever city or side they represented. Now it seems in WoW it all endgame anymore.

Am I wrong??

• garbonzogarbonzo Member Posts: 260

nice ideas OP.  I think Blizzard would shy away from letting pvp events negatively affect the game of pve players.  I don't agree with that, but...  Giving gear tokens for helping defend is probably the best way to fit it in their current model.

• DiSpLiFFDiSpLiFF Member UncommonPosts: 602

how many times can you defend something before its like... who cares

i'd say about a year + worth sounds about right. 

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240
    Originally posted by DiSpLiFF

how many times can you defend something before its like... who cares
    i'd say about a year + worth sounds about right. 

Aye,

If the event were something somewhat rare in occurance then I could see people caring.

When its something that happens almost everyday, people tend to lose interest in it, specially if there really isnt some form of reward or general punsihment for the races that fail to protect thier king.

If they made it so these raids could only happen once a week and rewarded both the offensive players as well as the defensive players, then I could see there being a reason for people to participate when ever the call to arms is sounded.

Like say the raids were only allowed to happen at some weird random time (like say a 74h 22minute window refresh) where if the ofensive party (say the horde) can attempt raiding Stormwind. If they succeed in killing whatshisname (Wrynn?) then they get the achievement and maybe a special token (which can be redeemed in sets of 10 for special items). Also if the defensive party (those who run to Stormwind to save whatshisname) manages to prevent his fall, they should be rewarded with something like a token (such as the attcking party would have recieved - spent in sets of 10 and redeemed for some fluff item of some sort).

I liked the way tower battles happened in AO (with the 30 minute window of vulnerability every some many hours - which made it random everyday). It didnt happen so often that it became a pain in the ass to get any other playing done, and it happened frequently enough that it kept you and your guild on its toes.

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• McAvoyMcAvoy Member Posts: 85

I feel like world PvP is ruined in WoW since they got rid of 1 Faction per server restrictions. No one really cares anymore cause most people have both Horde and Alliance on the same server and no longer have the pride of being part of a single faction and defending their kings or players. Now when someone go's and ganks a few low levels in order to get a world PvP battle started the person you gank doesn't call for back up like they used to, they just hop on their toon on your faction and release their nerd rage into /tells.

I miss the old days on Venture Co. where a HUGE battle would break out from a single ganking in a low level area.

Inherited Will, the Destiny of the Age, and the Dreams of its People. These are things that will not be stopped. As long as people continue to pursue the meaning of freedom, these things will never cease to be! - Gol D. Roger

• ThenariusThenarius Member Posts: 1,106
    Originally posted by McAvoy

I feel like world PvP is ruined in WoW since they got rid of 1 Faction per server restrictions. No one really cares anymore cause most people have both Horde and Alliance on the same server and no longer have the pride of being part of a single faction and defending their kings or players. Now when someone go's and ganks a few low levels in order to get a world PvP battle started the person you gank doesn't call for back up like they used to, they just hop on their toon on your faction and release their nerd rage into /tells.

I miss the old days on Venture Co. where a HUGE battle would break out from a single ganking in a low level area.

<X> ruined WoW/World PvP/BGs/Arena #879864:

Nope, not this one. Everyone and their mother had an emergency-safe account with levels 1 ready to whisper you if they raged that hard.

If not them, their friends who were more than willing to share accounts with them allowed them to make a level 1 on their account and speak.

• googajoob7googajoob7 Member Posts: 866

Originally posted by Thenarius

Nope, not this one. Everyone and their mother had an emergency-safe account with levels 1 ready to whisper you if they raged that hard.

If not them, their friends who were more than willing to share accounts with them allowed them to make a level 1 on their account and speak.

what total rubbish . a very small minority did that . it certainly was nt wide spread . it amazes me what stupid comments people post in these forums sometimes .i can imagine allowing people to have horde and alliance characters on the same server has taken a lot of the atmosphere out of the game and also led to significantly less world pvp . no longer is there the us vs them mentality . it would nt matter so much on a pve server because at worst there was only ever a passing emnity between the two sides when one or the other killed a mob you needed and you had to wait for it to respawn . warcraft is a mess now and as much as i d like to see that change i dont think it ever will .

• ThenariusThenarius Member Posts: 1,106
    Originally posted by googajoob7

Originally posted by Thenarius

what total rubbish . a very small minority did that . it certainly was nt wide spread . it amazes me what stupid comments people post in these forums sometimes .i can imagine allowing people to have horde and alliance characters on the same server has taken a lot of the atmosphere out of the game and also led to significantly less world pvp . no longer is there the us vs them mentality . it would nt matter so much on a pve server because at worst there was only ever a passing emnity between the two sides when one or the other killed a mob you needed and you had to wait for it to respawn . warcraft is a mess now and as much as i d like to see that change i dont think it ever will .

Not a very small minority. Almost all my friends did that and I played on 5 different realms, even more when people started to realise you can do 60 twinks. But some of them bought new accounts just to make 19 twinks or abuse RAF.

Stop making this as a big deal,it's minor, it happened before and it ruined nothing. Play WoW and comment.

(Oh and on PvE servers you can create chars of the other faction since WoW was released. I even met new people thanks to that because I just used to run around Durotar, dueling people, when I was bored).

• KryzizKryziz Member UncommonPosts: 127

All classed have Healing and DPS reduced to 15% for 48 hours. All the PVP players would go ape shit and your King would be defended like you would not believe.

• akritasakritas Member Posts: 76
    Originally posted by googajoob7

Thats also because Blizz decided from TBC on, not to have 1 major city for each faction, but created only one (Shattrah, Dalaran) to cut down production costs of course. What kind of rivalry do you expect to get after that ?

• RevenusRevenus Member Posts: 70

Truthfully; it got boring.

After playing for many years there were only so many times we could destroy the alliance faction leaders before they stopped responding.

Things changed slightly when the "For the Horde" and "For the Alliance" achievements came out.  The few elements of pvp involved in city raiding were soon tossed aside and it turned the whole process into a "bear run."

My most recent server was almost entirely Hordecentric, we had 24 straight successful FTH raids before out counterparts managed their second FTA.

Perhaps the expansion will bring back some rivalry and faction hate.

"There is a certain undeniable power in the void; within lies an unspoken promise of greatness, the shadowy truth that man is ruled by fear not of what is seen, but of what he perceives is seen beyond."

• TorikTorik Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Originally posted by Kryziz

All classed have Healing and DPS reduced to 15% for 48 hours. All the PVP players would go ape shit and your King would be defended like you would not believe.

However, to be fair the debuff should only apply to those players who are online and in that particular city at the time this happens.  Otherwise you are giving out penalties to people who have not done anything wrong and that is not going to work out too well.

• NergleNergle Member UncommonPosts: 253

Hell, even the NPCs guards have stopped responding to enemy players. Just the other day we had a level 80 Paladin run all the way into Ogrimmar and kill the people who came out of BGs (still had the 5 minute flag). This guy stayed there and gloated for about 2 hours before a level 80 Tauren Warrior (epiced out) decided to have a conversation with him.

I do agree with the majority here as I came back to WOW "again" after taking a break from it and it does need a hateful rivalry, that makes each side burn with hate, just by mentioning a name.

I like the idea of giving "everyone" debuffs and such that way it will make people care about their faction leaders.

True shout:

Trade: Warrior John Doe "Hey, a mage and two Rogue are summoning here in Thrall's Throne room!"

Trade: Mojoidiot "I  hope they kill Thrall, LOLZ, OMG, ROFLMAO!"

Trade: Warrior John Doe "Why is that Mojoidiot?"

Trade: Cuz he is a humie trash lovn foolz, LOL, OMG, ROFLCOPTERZ, FTW!"

Trade: Warrior John Doe  "?"

Trade: Warrior John Doe "Anyone gonna defend, other than me ?"

Trade: Misc person "STFU and let them get their bear!"

• TorikTorik Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Originally posted by Nergle

I do agree with the majority here as I came back to WOW "again" after taking a break from it and it does need a hateful rivalry, that makes each side burn with hate, just by mentioning a name.
    I like the idea of giving "everyone" debuffs and such that way it will make people care about their faction leaders.

Fostering a 'hateful rivalry'  sounds like a very childish way to encourage world PvP.  It boils down reaosns for fighting to "I must hate that other player because he made a different choice than I at character creation"

The problem faction PvP has is that a player really has no choice as to who his/her 'teammates' are in the faction.  As such there is very little real loyatly to those people since they are just as much strangers as the players of the other faction.  My loyalty is to my friends and to my guildies becasue they earn that loyalty.  My 'faction' cannot earn my loyalty so will not get it.  If someone in my faction is being a douche to someone of the other faction I will take the 'enemy' faction players side.

As far as the idea of faction wide debuffs I find it silly that I have to be punished for the screwups of people I do not even know and could not have reasonably prevented.  Also it could only be applicable on PvP servers.