Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Adobe Photoshop CS4 or Illustrator CS4?

I am in an AP (Advanced Placement) art class, and my teacher is only letting us use one of the 2 programs that I mentioned in the title of the thread.  I know that illustrator is a vector style program, which makes it easy to resize things.  However, I also know that photoshop has more features and allowed you to do more things.

I make my artwork from scratch and I dont incorporate pictures (of people or enviroment).

What do you think?

-------------------------

Comments

• Goatgod76Goatgod76 Member Posts: 1,214
    Originally posted by NagelFire

I am in an AP (Advanced Placement) art class, and my teacher is only letting us use one of the 2 programs that I mentioned in the title of the thread.  I know that illustrator is a vector style program, which makes it easy to resize things.  However, I also know that photoshop has more features and allowed you to do more things.
    I make my artwork from scratch and I dont incorporate pictures (of people or enviroment).
    What do you think?

I'd say Illustrator then.

• TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547

Edit: 

NVM, just got done playing with Illustrator.

I'd say try both, figure out which one you like and which one would be easier for the class. Photoshop isn't just for editing stuff though.

• adoniskevadoniskev Member Posts: 92

Photoshop, its a standard that almost every major company uses. 

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

Photoshop is the standard it beats Illustrator in just about every aspect.  Its more then likely in the next 5 years, Illustrator will be integrated into Photoshop.

You said you are looking more into creation instead of using photos and manipulation.  In the avenue of creation you are much more limited with Illustrator.  In nearly every digital art's field you will be utilizing Photoshop or Corel Painter, and another program for creation.  Hands down you will want to use Photoshop.

• ArndurArndur Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,202

Ive always learned photoshop in association with web deisgn as its bitmap which is more web friendly. For printed things illustrator and vector is much higher quailty and once you learn to use it you can make some dam good things from it.

Hold on Snow Leopard, imma let you finish, but Windows had one of the best operating systems of all time.

If the Powerball lottery was like Lotro, nobody would win for 2 years, and then everyone in Nebraska would win on the same day.
    And then Nebraska would get nerfed.-pinkwood lotro fourms

AMD 4800 2.4ghz-3GB RAM 533mhz-EVGA 9500GT 512mb-320gb HD

• sephersepher Member Posts: 3,561

Photoshop.

Illustrator is niche in its uses. You only need vector graphics if you have a very specific need for vector graphics, like for an animation in ToonBoom or shapes for Silverlight or Flash. Or, resolution independent printing.

It sounds like you're just learning though, and it'd make more sense to learn all the pros of raster graphics first, its cons, and what pros vector graphics have ontop of those cons. It'd be backwards to struggle with vector graphics to do the most minor of things accomplishable with plain pixels.

• IhmoteppIhmotepp Member Posts: 14,495
    Originally posted by adoniskev

Photoshop, its a standard that almost every major company uses. 

Photoshop. Hands down.

Also check out Gimp. It's free if you can't buy Photoshop to put on your home computer.

http://www.gimp.org/

• VarnyVarny Member Posts: 765

How do you make a .gif? I used to be able to make one with CS2 but CS4 they took the program I made them with away.

• sephersepher Member Posts: 3,561
    Originally posted by Varny

How do you make a .gif? I used to be able to make one with CS2 but CS4 they took the program I made them with away.

Windows > Animation

That's how you get the animation palette back with frame manipulation, timing, tweening, etc. Save For Web & Devices to export the animation.