Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A Help from fellow gamers. Entering the console market

tryklontryklon Member UncommonPosts: 1,370

Im buying a new console for myself this christmas, but I am extremely divided between XBox 360 and PS3, Wii is out of the equation for me since it doesnt appeal to my type of gaming preferences.

So, I would like to read some opinions from other people, also ownders of both of them.

At this time im inclined towards PS3 since ive played a bit of Uncharted 2 and Im a big Gran Turismo fan since the PSOne. Also, the net play is free.

But, the XBox 360 also has some great games, and the online capabilities are excellent, even with a cost to it. Everyone uses voice chat and the sense of community is much better.

And one of the facts that makes be bend over to the 360 is the possibility of buying the VGA cable and using my PC monitor to play, since i have a pretty regular, and rather small, television set. And does it really pay off to have a PS3 on an extremely small (around the size of a 15" monitor) television set?

Like I said, I simply cant decide since theres arguments for both sides...

Comments

• SignusMSignusM Member Posts: 2,225

PC for RTS, MMORPG, FPS, sims, Wii for everything else. A lot of great first party games coming out for the Wii and some third party ones. Also great party games, as per usual. Mario Galaxy 2, Zelda Wii, Metroid, Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Dead Space, Red Steel 2, Pikmin 3, ect ect. No other console really worth owning if you have a PC already. 

• tryklontryklon Member UncommonPosts: 1,370

Yeah, but im a big fan of racing games, GT for example, plus the typical console RPG's that i cant find on PC like Final Fantasy and so many others. 

I have a PS2 and I cant imagine myself not having a console to spend some time. That is why im deciding wich one to turn now.

And like i said, Wii is not an option. I love graphics and pnline capabilities. Plus, coloured and family games are not my type. Im more into action/adventure, rpg and racing.

• SignusMSignusM Member Posts: 2,225

Eh, there are great RPG and action games on the Wii, it's not just a "kiddie console" but finding games with great graphics on the Wii is a bit harder. So whatever, your choice 

• NagelFireNagelFire Member Posts: 409

I would go with the PS3, mainly because the technology in it is much newer and it is much less outdated.  When I look at the 360 it has a greater variety of games (although that is becoming less and less as the ps3 adopts more games) but the technology itsself is starting to show its age.  With the impressive graphics, power, blueray, and technology the ps3 seems like a better choice because it will not become as outdated as the 360 quite as quickly.

If you buy the 360, you may have to buy a new console in the future because its starting to show its age.

-------------------------

• adoniskevadoniskev Member Posts: 92
    Originally posted by tryklon

Im buying a new console for myself this christmas, but I am extremely divided between XBox 360 and PS3, Wii is out of the equation for me since it doesnt appeal to my type of gaming preferences.

So, I would like to read some opinions from other people, also ownders of both of them.

At this time im inclined towards PS3 since ive played a bit of Uncharted 2 and Im a big Gran Turismo fan since the PSOne. Also, the net play is free.

But, the XBox 360 also has some great games, and the online capabilities are excellent, even with a cost to it. Everyone uses voice chat and the sense of community is much better.

And one of the facts that makes be bend over to the 360 is the possibility of buying the VGA cable and using my PC monitor to play, since i have a pretty regular, and rather small, television set. And does it really pay off to have a PS3 on an extremely small (around the size of a 15" monitor) television set?
    Like I said, I simply cant decide since theres arguments for both sides...

I would recommend getting a ps3, especially since the ps3 has the best  Bluray player.... and for a good work out the WII. 

• soap46soap46 Member Posts: 169

It all depends on the games you want.  I had a 360, but sold it because there was literally NOTHING on it that I wanted to play.  Well, nothing that I couldn't get for the PC at least. 

I'd say go with the Playstation, though.  The games seem to be a bit more unique.  (Uncharted, LBP, etc.)

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    Originally posted by SignusM

PC for RTS, MMORPG, FPS, sims, Wii for everything else. A lot of great first party games coming out for the Wii and some third party ones. Also great party games, as per usual. Mario Galaxy 2, Zelda Wii, Metroid, Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Dead Space, Red Steel 2, Pikmin 3, ect ect. No other console really worth owning if you have a PC already. 

. There are tons of exclusives on both consoles that are not avaiable on the PC, both already released and to be released, there is more than enough reason to own a console if you already have a pc

Also, even if you already have a PC, there are plenty of exclusive FPS' games that aren't avaible on the PC on both consoles Wii for everything else? really?, the Wii is lacking in a lot of genres including racing, fighting, Hack and slash and RPGs.

to the answer the OP: If you only want one console and you consider yourself even a semi serious gamer,don't bother with the Wii. The motion controls are not nearly as advanced as the advertisements would like you to the believe. The technical specs of the Wii are last gen, and so are the games. They play like a last gen games and have last gen features, especially in the online department.

To decide between a Playstation 3 and Xbox 360, you first need to consider which exclusive you want the most. Take your time and research the exclusives both already avaible and to be released.

Next for online play. Xbox live has a better community as the console comes with a mic. Lots of people are talking and communicating although this has decreased somewhat when party chat was introduced.

On the Playstation network, there is really no community. The console does not come with a mic and most people don't bother getting one. THe upside of Playstation network is that it has dedicated servers for many of its first party games. This is why games like Resistance 2 have 60 players multiplayer and MAG 256 players. In general you won't find these kind of games on the Xbox 360 as the 360 uses a peer to peer network.

• mrroboto40mrroboto40 Member UncommonPosts: 657

If you want to play MMOs, go for PS3.

Also, internet gaming is free on PS3.

ANother things that adds to the PS3 advantages is it's exclusive games. Many 360 exclusives, like Fable, Mass Effect, and some others are also available on the PC, wich I own.

But the PS3 exclusives like Uncharted 1 & 2, Gran Turismo, Little Big Planet can't be played anywhere else.

• urbanmechurbanmech Member UncommonPosts: 200

I agree with a few others here, I use the PC for my "serious" gaming, and the WII for just plain fun. New Super Marios Wii is fantastic, and 4 player!

Why bother with an XBOX or PS3 when I have a PC? (games like Mass Effect were much better on PC)

Originally posted by urbanmech

I agree with a few others here, I use the PC for my "serious" gaming, and the WII for just plain fun. New Super Marios Wii is fantastic, and 4 player!
    Why bother with an XBOX or PS3 when I have a PC? (games like Mass Effect were much better on PC)

Yes, but what about great games like Uncharted 2 or Gran Turismo for the PS3, or Gears of War and Forza Motorsports for the 360? PC's will never have them.

It seems that the XBox 360 doesnt have so much fans after all...

Maybe the fact that everyone here as a PC makes them lean towards PS3

• RautenRauten Member Posts: 38

I'd say check out the games currently out and future releases for both systems, and simply go for whichever has/will have more games of your interest.

If you're concerned about the online gameplay, I'd go with a 360. Sure it costs money, but it's completely integrated, and for some reason, people seem to be MUCH more active in voice chat. PS3 Games are much more commonly silent than 360 ones, no idea why.

If you only plan to play online every now and then and it's not your main focus, the PS3. Also gives you online capabilities, perhaps not as advanced, but they're free. (And for some reason, I love the PSN. Damn their selection of indie games.)

Originally posted by Rauten

I'd say check out the games currently out and future releases for both systems, and simply go for whichever has/will have more games of your interest.
    If you're concerned about the online gameplay, I'd go with a 360. Sure it costs money, but it's completely integrated, and for some reason, people seem to be MUCH more active in voice chat. PS3 Games are much more commonly silent than 360 ones, no idea why.
    If you only plan to play online every now and then and it's not your main focus, the PS3. Also gives you online capabilities, perhaps not as advanced, but they're free. (And for some reason, I love the PSN. Damn their selection of indie games.)

Plus the original PS1 games on PSN. I mean, to play FF7 again with better graphics just seems excellent. (I dont own the original CD's anymore)

PS3 online is much more silent in voice chat duo to the fact that the console bundle does not bring a mic, and the 360 does. So many ppl wont bother aquiring one on PS3

• NarugNarug Member UncommonPosts: 756

Sounds like the choice was made already.

Further opinions are simply this:

for more RPGs selection (since you're on MMORPG and RPGs are fewer this gen too) / love Halo + pay for online

value moving changing way we use controllers on Consoles forward/think Wii has reasonable graphics + Nintendo's 1st party lineup/VC downloads aka remembering the classics

remembering classic signature series from PS1 (including when Metal Gear moving from Nintendo to PS) / think games series like God of War is strong + free online

I was able to get all 3 into the household, gaming PC too, but can can certainly understand if people have to choose.

I know someone is going to mention Microsoft's project but if not for the Wii remote Microsoft probably wouldn't be trying to compete in that department.

Note: Directional arrows are based on direction of selection in the poll.

I'd only add those are not all the strengths of the 3 console platforms but I don't want to be too long.

All 3 of the consoles break.

Wii

Has overheating problems when WiiConnect was in stanby, I've never left mine in stanby and it still runs

PS3

60GB Just had the Blu-Ray drive go out on us though supposeably there are yellow lights of death and drive problems reported in others.

Xbox 360

We've had 2 go out and supposeably the Jasper model prevents the chip from literally melting off the motherboard like the 2 we had. Highest failure rate.

Edit: reversed the PS3 and 360 categories on top

AC2 Player RIP Final Death Jan 31st 2017

Refugee of Auberean

Refugee of Dereth

• wartywarlockwartywarlock Member Posts: 106

PS, definitely.

Im no fanboy but realistically

a) it has longer left on its lifespan - sony WILL support the PS3 for atleast another 7 years. PS2 is still widely supported and developed for, cant say if PS1 still gets new games but it probably does and is still supported by sony. MS couldbnt give a shit about the xbox1 and when was the last time a new game came out for it? This will be the same for the next generation.

b) graphics are creeping ahead. right now they are still pretty even but the reality is that the PS3 is a beast of a machine. I think SquareEnix put it best 'were using all the cores, just about; but were using maybe 20% of each core if that' . PS3 can just do so much that hasnt even been tapped into yet, but the libraries are developing, making top end games is getting easier and as this carries on the graphics gap will become more and more visible. look at gt4 for a good example, you can clearly see it running at less than 30fps on 360, there are times when its practically a slideshow

c) there are very few exclusive titles anymore. companies are realizign that developing for one console + sony/MS payoff is less than the revenue for developing on both. So less and less games are going to come out and make you go 'gah i wish i had xx'

d) online - does this need debate? pay for a service that is stable or play for free on one just about as stable? PSN is in development and looks a hell of a lot healthier than XBL did at the same point in its life. Why pay for the internet twice!

e) bluray - granted BRay players are getting cheaper and cheaper but really, why would you buy a standalone? Watching bluray is just something special, especially if you have an HD projector :D

erm, cant think of much else. PS3 is just the smart choice, plus you should very easily be able to get a free one off your mobile company, just call em and talk about moving to another service. Trust me, with the launch of the slim ps3, phone companies have a LOT of spare PS3s (in the Uk atleast!)

Again im not a fanboy, this is the process I went through when deciding for myself. I have not regretted getting a PS3.

• catfudcatfud Member Posts: 135

If you want to do online gaming then Xbox 360 all the way. If you are a film buff and watching movies is more important to you then PS3 is the one.

I wouldn't worry about spec too much people will argue untill the cows come home which one has better hardware and which one will outperform the other. Numbers on paper don't mean much once everything is running in the home at the same time. A lot of the spec results are from controlled enviroments in stand alone tests. At the end of the day there is not a lot of difference between the two (waits for the fan boys to arrive with flaming torches and pitch forks) PS3 does anti alias better, 360 has better colour output. Big whoop.

I love zelda on the Wii, it's about the only game I play on the Wii and the graphics suck BUT after about 2 minutes of playing the game it's got such good gameplay I couldnt care less and don't even notice.

Don't get hung up on hardware and spec, at the end of the day it's about games! Go with the console that has the most amount of games you'd like to play along side features/services you will get the most use out of.

edit: just a note about online play: PSN may be free but it's nothing compared to xbox live, I know a lot of people would argue otherwise but M$ have simply had the time, development and experience over sony. I have a lot of friends with both PS3 and 360 and they all use xbox for their online gaming. Using their PS3 for PS exclusive titles. PSN is getting better but it's just not where live is.

------------------------------------------------
    Founder of The Divine Council of Pyr
    MMO: Ryzom - RF Online
    ------------------------------------------------
    Ryzom FREE Trial: PLAY NOW!!! - The must play MMO!