Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Strong(est) solo class?

2»

Comments

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

I like my Minsrel the most for solo.  Mainly because later in the game, everyone loves a Minstrel in thier raid.  The fact that Minstrels can use instruments is a big bonus as I'm also a musician irl :)

• chriselchrisel Member UncommonPosts: 990

One great thing about Minstrel, is that most attacks are instant, which makes it feel very fast. And Minstrels burst are awesome as well. I will prolly level up Hunter, Minstrel and my current Warden, side by side. All with rest bonus, as the leveling in LOTRO is dreadfully slow. Well, at least for me who is STILL a newb....

Make us care MORE about our faction & world pvp!

• grandpagamergrandpagamer Member Posts: 2,221

I thought the leveling went rather well until the mid 40's or so. As in all games it takes more xp to level at the higher levels.

After level 25 I find leveling a pain in LOTRO. Some classes are ofcourse "faster". I noticed a bad drop in dps at level 15 on the Warden. Be noticed that I have only managed to get past 30 with a Hunter & Minstrel before, as well as I got a Captain at level 20. But that Captain was made at release so I cannot remember how that was/is.

Afaik, and heard, it IS a problem in LOTRO after level 25; that when most people drop out and leave, mostly due to the slow leveling rate. Same happened to me, and my friends. I have several real life friends who has tried LOTRO, and none of them got past level 25...

I hope I manage to keep motivation up this time to get to at least 40. But I must say, it wears my motivation struggling this hard to get my xp. Ofc i would like to end level eventually, but I suspect it will never happen, no matter how hard I try... :(

• donjuanamigodonjuanamigo Member Posts: 256

i never understood why people are always in a rush to get to max level in a game or complain about how long it took to level in a game. i always took my time and enjoyed the game and ended leveling faster than my friends that were out to level grind to max as fast as possible.  kind of defeats the purpose of playing a game but to each his own i suppose.

Kinda boring alone when everyone is at end level....?

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578
    Originally posted by chrisel

Kinda boring alone when everyone is at end level....?

This

It can be challenging for new players to hop into a mature game.

Exactly. Few lowbies around makes ANY MMO a dull game. So, in a well established MMO, that has become a few years, I see little point in not trying to get the newbies into the community at a relativly short time. Well, this is RELATIVELY speaking...

not everyone is at end game and you cant solo the end game which is the point of this thread, soloing. so what does it matter if you are at end game or not?

Soloing to end game is totally different to participating in end content. Big difference. Any good MMO should have both to offer for end game players; both solo content AND group content. If you ask me, noone should be forced to group to get to end level. That is old fashioned, and it doesnt work nor is it in particular wanted by the average MMO player anymore.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

Soloing to end game is totally different to participating in end content. Big difference. Any good MMO should have both to offer for end game players; both solo content AND group content. If you ask me, noone should be forced to group to get to end level. That is old fashioned, and it doesnt work nor is it in particular wanted by the average MMO player anymore.

Well, in theory that may be true but in practice it's another thing entirely.

LOTRO offers both solo and group content all the way up. However the large complaint is that there aren't enough people to do the group content or who want to do the group content. It's part of the reason why they are making the main quest line soloable.

Another complaint by group players is that the grouping is spotty. So there might be a quest that requires a group. You then get the group together, do the quest and then everyone leaves saying "thanks, good group".

There is a difference between that type of experience and an experience that allows for players to group at all times with a good reason to do so.

I say "good reason" because though someone like me groups for the enjoyment of it (if it is with clan members or people I know for the most part) regardless of xp, there are players who will leave the group if the xp is not optimum. Which then leads to the complaint that there aren't incentives to group.

And at top level, in lotro, there isn't much to do other than do raids or monster play or craft. You can go back and help lower level players but all in all, I'm not sure that if one is a raider then there is enough to keep him going. Same with monster play if one is a pvp'er.

So there really isn't a reason in LOTRO to rush to level cap. My other thought is that you are on a low pop server? Brandywine always seems to have people in all the zones. Not like it was at launch but quite a few. Also, there are kinships that do a lot with alts. But you being at level cap is probably not going to be what you think it is. Then again, a caveat to that is the next expansion is coming out so there will be some more content. But that should also bring in players who have never been to level cap and so, along with the new players you might also find more players per level grouping.

In any case, I haven't run into the game that has equal grouping and soloing all the way up where the solo players are happy and the grouping players are happy. Which leaves me to believe that this game doesn't exist.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

I have been a soloer in World of Warcraft since release. Had many years of fun that way.

I play on Laurelin btw. One of the EU RP servers.

ive done a vast majority of all the group quests in lotro. never had a problem finding a group for stuff either. i played on a euro server though.

LOTOR offers the ability to solo to end level, we all know that by now here. Well, but still I struggle, esp getting past level 25. I find the leveling rate dreadfully slow. I know it is a paradox, esp since I am not a "grouper". But, as we all know, it IS hard to adjust into all different persons behavior in groups, and esp when leveling.

I have been more into groups, back at my very first MMO, the Anarchy Online. World of Warcraft totally changed my approach to MMO's. So, what am I trying to say here? Maybe I just want to get to end level, at a reasonable speed, then find me a kinship to see if I would like the grouping part since I already know the solo part of LOTRO at end level is pretty meager.

basically all it boils down is to you taking the time to level. there is no instant, i win to get you to max level. if you arent willing to put the time in, then its going to suck. there are classes as people have said that level faster than others, however, you have to decide what you are going to have the most fun playing or you could just end up wasting a lot of time.

Originally posted by donjuanamigo

basically all it boils down is to you taking the time to level. there is no instant, i win to get you to max level. if you arent willing to put the time in, then its going to suck. there are classes as people have said that level faster than others, however, you have to decide what you are going to have the most fun playing or you could just end up wasting a lot of time.

I agree with this.

For instance, the Hunter class is supposed to be one of the fastest leveling classes. However, I hate it. I really do. I can never get into it. It could be because they can shoot while facing slightly off and still hit their target. Or that they can shoot from point blank range, switch to melee and then back to bow for point blank range.

But playing a guardian, one of the slower leveling classes, it just clicked and worked for me.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Well, I am giving it a real hard try. All because I am a Tolkien fan. I am desperately trying to find me "the" class to play, but it is so hard. They are so "defined" here, you cannot for example, combine dps OR tank in same class, just with different build. So, when I choose the Warden, I feel like "doomed" into low dps, no matter how I do it. (Well, my Warden got better at level 16)

In opposite, I played Paladin & Druid in World of Warcraft, both classes had extreme utility compared to whatsoever class here. And here I go again... rambling about WoW... sorry .

Well, of course I would like to get to end level, but the jounrey there seems more of a struggle, than joy. This makes my thoughts go back to the Anarchy Online days. I was not even close to as impatient as I am now, and AO had slooow leveling...

Well, I am giving it a real hard try. All because I am a Tolkien fan. I am desperately trying to find me "the" class to play, but it is so hard. They are so "defined" here, you cannot for example, combine dps OR tank in same class, just with different build. So, when I choose the Warden, I feel like "doomed" into low dps, no matter how I do it. (Well, my Warden got better at level 16)
    In opposite, I played Paladin & Druid in World of Warcraft, both classes had extreme utility compared to whatsoever class here. And here I go again... rambling about WoW... sorry .
    Well, of course I would like to get to end level, but the jounrey there seems more of a struggle, than joy. This makes my thoughts go back to the Anarchy Online days. I was not even close to as impatient as I am now, and AO had slooow leveling...

Well, there is a sort of well known issue with some of the classes that they dont really pick up until late teens and in some cases early 20's. Not sure if I should classify this as being an issue as opposed to something that people have made note of.

To that end, the Champion used to be able to be a secondary tank when you changed stance and made some trait changes. the only reason I didn't see a champion through (as that was my class in the closed betas and part of one of the open betas) was because they felt too squishy. This apparently does change a bit the higher you go but I found the guardian to be more to my liking. I still flirt with the idea of just powering through and making a champion main. I've always been more of a damage dealer by heart.

As a word of encouragement, I've seen lvl 60 wardens in action and they are a sight to behold. I have sometimes been jealous and even created a warden alt. My problem is that I have a hard time remembering the gambits and tend to favor only a few becaus of this. But they are an impressive class when played well.

That is encouraging. It is so far, the most durable class I have played, soon level 17, so not much to brag about yet. But I am getting the picture of it. What i do have get to know, is that my Warden is heavily gear dependant though. I just got me a new purple axe, and it was a welcome new breath. I will hang on to this at least to level 20.

• grandpagamergrandpagamer Member Posts: 2,221

I would add that this game is, at least for me, more about the journey than the end game. Exploring the world of middle earth is what i enjoy the most.  My main still has not hit level 60 and im in no hurry to do so. 

• lordainlordain Member Posts: 14

Solo'ing to 60 is fairly easy in lotro, depending on what class you choose, and like any other game, there are levels that are harder then others, in lotro I have found the hardest grind to be from 30-40'ish... kinda like AO's, 219-220 grind :P 

Anarchy Online had some truely long and boring level grinds in it, you logs on wanting to go and kill more hecklers?! lol and it was like that from the time you was level 30, which was a single day's of level grind to get to, and then from there you could easily make 120'ish in 1-2 day's, but after that it was so slow until you get to around 190-205 where you can start doing the inferno missions, and that made the next few levels go fast, untill ofc 218, those last 2 levels took FOREVER!!! took me about 5 months to get those last 2 levels myself, but... I wasnt logging on to grind, ever...

With Lotro, heres a quick leveling guide for ya, it may change after the new expansion though, but not sure, this is just how I did my level grinds, on 4 different toons, 3 of which are level 60's.

Level 1-25

Start out doing bree-land quests, combe, staddle, bree-town. If you have a hard time doing quests in that area, start to move either to the shire, or start pushing towards the lone lands, in the shire, there are fewer quests that will feed you much at level 15'ish, but the further north you go, the better the quests get, but dont go out of the shire, as it gets purple(impossible) very fast in evendim.

In the Lone Lands(LL) a good level to start going there is around 13-15, you should be able to hit 20-23 easy enough doing the quests you get from the tavern there. Killing bores and Gobs, with a few wolfs get you some good xp fast.

Once you have finished all the Lone lands, you can choose to either go to the borrow downs, or just skip it, but you can also go to the borrow downs alot earlier now and get easy and fast xp from what I have heard since around book 7 release. so might be a good idea to hang around there during the levels 15-25 as well.

After you are around 23-25, make your way to either North Downs (Directly north of Bree-Town) or, Keep heading East from Lone Lands on the road until you find the outpost, Ost Goruth(if my memory serves me right) In both area's, there are tons of easy and fast quests to do, that will get you to around 30-33'ish, depending on how much of the harder group quests you do. 

After you hit 30-33, head to Esteldin, you can also grab the quests from the little camp near fornost on your way to esteldin, theres only a few, and there all easy, and only take a few minutes to do most of them. Once you arrive to esteldin, be sure to get your stable master, and snag any quests you see, and then head out to the west. Head south and do some of your esteldin quests on your way, Spiders, Wargs, Aurochs... keep heading south till you get into a swampy area, and find the elf outpost there, and snag all those quests, there easy to do, and fairlly quick to complete. once you have done all those quests head back to esteldin, turn in, and snag all the 2nd part's and do those to. The hard part of this, is once you do the first couple quests in the chain, theres only like 2 or 3 chains you can do.

Alternatively, you can also head to Evindim, and start doing the tinidur quests, that are all easy, likely you will be switching between evindem, esteldin, and troll shaw's to conquer the 30-40'ish grind, the reason why this takes so long, is lack of quests in a single area, and the long distance between the area's to get to these area's. 

Around 37-40 you can hit Southern angmar as well, starting in the earth kin camp, you can knock out a couple levels really fast here also, but some of the chains, are abit slow as you will die alot, and will need a group to finish the quest chains as well. Once you hit around 42, you can easily move on to Revindell, deeper into trollshaw's, Misty Mountain's(North of revindel town), and venture deaper into angmar, This is when the levels start to pick up again, you can easily do solo quests til 45-47.

At around 45'ish you can head towards the gates of moria, in the area before moria (South of Revindel, follow the path along the bruinen source) This area is great,  you can easily hit 50-51 in no time here, possible 52-53 if you do all the quests, only a few quests require a group in this area.

Once you feel confedent enough, somewhere between 45-50 go and do Volume2 Book1 in the gates of moria zone. You can only team with people that are on the same part of the quest as you, as the isntance can only be entered by those with the 2.1.x quest. This whole instance is soloable though by most classes easy enough, although if you go before 47 or 48, you might want to find someone that can help you on the quest. once you finish the instance you will get your very first legendary weapon. And probably 1-2 levels depending on the side quests you do.

Once you are 50-51, go ahead and enter moria, and start out doing the thorin's gate quests, they will eventually take you to Dolven View, do the quests there and simply follow the area's the quests take you as what quests you should be working on... Heres a quick guide to where you should be hitting at what levels:

50-53 Thorins Gate(entrance area) Dolven View, Cross Roads.

53-55 Twenty First Hall, Water Works, Early Flaming Deeps, Orc Watch, Jezagrund(sp?), (the area before The Foundations of Stone, Cant remember the name off hand)

55-56 Flaming Deeps, Early Foundations of Stone, Early Lorien(First 2 free peoples camps, outside the First Hall)

57-60 Deeper Foundations of Stones, Lothlorien(be sure to do the book quest that you get on the other side of the river in lorien, before going past the guards) Go into the elf camps, do all the repeatable quests, You can essentially go here as soon as you do the book quest to safely enter the area, easy enough to do around 56, and you can stay here till 60 easy enough as a huge number of the quests are repeatable's. Also you will want to make sure you get your reputation Maxed out for the elfs of lothlorien, or whatever there called.

Rep you will want to max out(Kindred).

You chosen Crafting proffession rep,

Miners of Moria, (to get a goat mount to use inside moria, as no horse can be used here)

Warriors of Moria, (to get your legendary skill)

This is my quick guide... Please note that this is just how I did it, not the most efficent way, or the best way, that is for you to decide. Please also note, some of the level's might be off by a couple levels for the area, it was along time since I have done this grind. But the general layout is good.

argh!!!

Excellent post! I will follow that, as I have been wondering how to do it after North Downs was done.

• dhayes68dhayes68 Member UncommonPosts: 1,388

I solo'd to 70 with a minstrel. nice part bout a minstrel is you can group whenever you feel like it.

As other's have said you can solo any char. That being said to get the most enjoyment, pick the class thats most fun for you to play, knowing you'll be able to solo to level cap without much a problem no matter what you choose.

• lordainlordain Member Posts: 14
    Originally posted by dhayes68

I solo'd to 70 with a minstrel. nice part bout a minstrel is you can group whenever you feel like it.
    As other's have said you can solo any char. That being said to get the most enjoyment, pick the class thats most fun for you to play, knowing you'll be able to solo to level cap without much a problem no matter what you choose.

To 70?! im pretty sure level cap in lotro is 60, and will be 65 in 2 day's... :P

argh!!!

• dhayes68dhayes68 Member UncommonPosts: 1,388
    Originally posted by lordain

Originally posted by dhayes68

To 70?! im pretty sure level cap in lotro is 60, and will be 65 in 2 day's... :P

Mixed up my games. to 60.