Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this game worth YOUR time? - Unbiased

TL;DR at the end.

So I was watching some Age of Conan videos at max settings (thanks to AmazingAvery) which led me to watch some Age of Conan PvP videos. The combat caught my eye. It was very different, I never followed AoC before cause' of reviews from its release so I never really looked into it. I checked to see if there was a free trial and lo and behold there was. After 5 hours of patching I was finally able to step into the world of Conan.

I must say, the opening cinematic is outstanding. The facial expressions and how the words actually match the mouths was amazing.

Now to the game itself. The character creation was very customizable. I didn't mess around with it too much, but I must say that the whole theme of starting as a slave was intriguing and better than mainstream MMOs. Once I chose my class (assassin), I was ready to start my adventure. Learning the combat was very simplistic, yet new. I love it. The combo system is by far the best combat in any MMO on the market (that I've played). I also found AoC to be very immersive, even with the loading screens. Once I reached Tortage, the thing that killed the immersion for me was question mark over the blacksmith who breaks your chains. I didn't mind the mini map indicators for objectives, but seeing a floating question mark over a character, well let's just say I died a little inside. Graphics as we all know are unmatched, scenery was pleasant, cities looking amazing, and NPCs did too. Quests are pretty much your normal quests. Night Tortage (Single Player) is different and I'm not sure if I like it yet.

TL;DR - This game is fun and the combat system is different than your ordinary MMO. The only reason I won't be coming back for more after the trial is population. I am a very social person, and I pay and play MMOs so I can play an RPG with lots of people, not so I can pay a monthly bill to play by myself. I am going to enjoy the rest of my trial, but I have yet to see another player. If this games population grew to a reasonable amount of subscribers I would certainly be on board.

Lastly, I must say FunCom, I would trust you to make any MMO or RPG, because you understand immersion and fun. Next time, spend more time before you release a product (upcoming Secret World!).

Playing:
Waiting for: Earthrise, SW:TOR

Comments

• MaGicBushMaGicBush Member UncommonPosts: 689

I see this about population a lot, but fail to understand it. You must have rolled on a low pop server, I rolled on Cimmeria for the vet trial and fail to find a place without population. Everywhere in Tortage has at least a few people running around. Then I logged onto my old toon from launch, a 44 Barb on Tyranny and there were a lot of players around at the quest hub as well. Global constantly has people looking for groups/needing 1 more/etc, not sure what the problem is. But I am assuming other than the two main high pop servers it must be low. Any recommendation tells you to roll either Wicanna(PvE), Cimmeria(RP-PVP), or Tyranny(PVP). I'd suggest rerolling on one of these before giving up hope especially with the expansion coming out soon which should fix the level 80-endgame stuff.

--------------------

-Currently playing FFXIV, and BDO.

• finaticdfinaticd Member Posts: 843
    Originally posted by PwnedSideway

The only reason I won't be coming back for more after the trial is population.
    Lastly, I must say FunCom, I would trust you to make any MMO or RPG, because you understand immersion and fun.

THere were loads of players just a few months ago so you really need to get out of Tortage for a few levels before seeing what is up.  Actually, the lack of players contradicts the "lastly" part....the issues keeping players away are many.....but I did recommend server mergers, Funcom and some fans would prefer to leave it how it is just to make the game "apear" to be doing better than it is.

Funcom has reviewed all of its assets relevant for
    impairment testing. This process has led to
    recognition of an impairment loss of around
    3,1 MUSD for Age of Conan due to a decrease in
    numbers of subscribers for the game. Funcom Q4 10 report.
    http://forums.ageofconan.com/showpost.php?p=2926123&postcount=7 500 mains/alts on Tyranny in past 30 days - instead of merge servers let's open a new PvP server, again! http://forums-eu.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=106427

• XerithXerith Member Posts: 970

Tortage is an instance that most players leave at level 20 and dont come back to, so your really never going to see people there over that, sort of like the starting instances for races in Lotro if you ever played, once you complete your story line quests, you are whisked away to the main world. The hub city here is Old Tarantia and I always see plenty of people there.

It would be interesting to hear which server you chose, as I am on Wicanna and there are enough people to complete raids, just got done another 6 man on my lower level Necro, and did Amphitheatre which was an amazing instance.

Give it a little bit and get out of Tortage, it is only for new characters so your not going to see a busting population there.

• nihcenihce Member Posts: 539

Seems like op rolled extremely empty server. I must say that I feel that at least Fury is right now quite full - being constantly ganked in khesh by lvl 80 sins while i do my quests. They are all nabs but they cut my lvl 60ish blues like butter

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168

Not sure which server you rolled on OP but get on the Set or tyranny server. lots of people there!

(AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH parades down old Tarantia with Kilikki's panties on plunger!)

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• FrobnerFrobner Member Posts: 649

No - AOC is not worth my time.  Atm no MMO is.  MMOS are fast becoming the biggest pile of bugs you can find.  It has now totally gotten out of hand where everyone is throwing out content that is untested, bugged and more or less unplayable.  Thats not worth the boxed version - and its defently not worth the sub.  If I wanted to play buggy MMOS I can always go to the free to play ones and get exactly the same buggy crap there.

MMOs have fallen into new lows when it comes to quality standards....  And I make my opinions clear with my vallet.