Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In all honesty, is Star Wars Galaxies BAD?

GPrestigeGPrestige Member UncommonPosts: 523

I don't want to hear ANYTHING comparing the game to how it was PRE-NGE/CU. I want a nice short review about the game in its current state with absolutely no ties to how it was. Afterall, it basically is a different game than it was at launch from what I heard.

I'm interested in playing, but someone always comes along and says, "OMG I'm so mad they changed the game from launch blah blah blah" and It doesn't really help me. I know, the game was probably astounding at release, but we have to face facts and decide whether we actually enjoy or don't enjoy how it is now. Its on for $10 on steam (half off) so I want to know if the game in its current state is actually any good.

REMEMBER no comparisons to how it was pre-nge/cu!

-Computer specs no one cares about: check.

-MMOs played no one cares about: check.

-Xfire stats no one cares about: check.

-Signature no one cares about: check.

------------------------------------------------------------
-Narcissism: check.

Comments

• IbluerateIbluerate Member Posts: 256

I enjoyed it.

Playing: World Of Warcraft
    Resting From: Nothing
    Retired: EQ2, CoH, Tabula Rasa, SWG, Warhammer, AoC
    Waiting For: SWTOR, APB
    Love(d): Tabula Rasa, SWG, World Of Warcraft, Age of Conan

• HalpotHalpot Member CommonPosts: 204

There is a free trial, so I recommend clicking on the link and giving it a go. 

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

i wouldnt say its bad as such, arguably its signifcantly better than Aion, and a few other more recently released MMO's etc, most of the bad press really is down to the fact that the game changed too much with the NGE, and the previous playerbase was disenfranchised mostly because a lot of the games functionality was reduced, since server consolidations have taken place though, your more likely to find groups etc to mission with, and the legacy quest has been worked on a bit more, and, tbh, the experience is not as bad as at launch of  the NGE, theres a lot of talk about SW:TOR taking the players away from SWG when its eventually released, personally i dont think thats going to be the case, the games are too significantly different to really apeal to the average SWG player (SW:TOR seems more like a scifi guildwars clone than anything else anyway) overall, i would say, its a reasonably good game.

• Bob_BlawblawBob_Blawblaw Member Posts: 1,278
    Originally posted by Halpot

There is a free trial, so I recommend clicking on the link and giving it a go. 

Seconded! Try the free trial first!

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

It is a very good sandbox game. If you enjoy games with lots of crafting and the ability to own a house, you would probably enjoy the game.

I personally did not find it to be too exciting in terms of gameplay, but it does have a lot to offer if you like sandboxes. There really aren't any other games I have played (other than UO and EVE) with as many sandbox features.

• VarnyVarny Member Posts: 765

It's just too dated now

• SioBabbleSioBabble Member Posts: 2,803

The problem is that in order to make it seem "faster" in combat, they screwed up the combat system to run five times as fast which overloads the data transport system so that specials and heals misfire due to that one decision, which makes combat clunky and frustrating next to say WoW's combat, where your special attacks, buffs, and debuffs actually work as advertised.

The game used to have gorgeous animations that were remarkable to watch, but the speeded up system has broken all that.  All for the illusion of "faster" combat.

So, that's what makes SWG bad.  Along with the very poor copies of so many WoW graphical features.

CH, Jedi, Commando, Smuggler, BH, Scout, Doctor, Chef, BE...yeah, lots of SWG time invested.

Once a denizen of Ahazi

• TarkaTarka Member Posts: 1,662

Well I tried it again yesterday and so far I'm about L17ish in 8 hours.  So far, the Legacy quest chain has taken me all the way.

The game has the staple features that MMO's needs:  quest system, housing, open landscapes, levels etc, etc.  Also , they've brought in Galactic Civil War attributes where AT-AT's and forces attack player towns. Which is cool if you like that sort of thing.

But the old problems are still there: lag, graphics glitches and npc's shooting through walls.  It's as if the rest of the game has been left under-developed for the last few years.

So whilst its ok, its not brilliant by any quality standards that I personally look for.  The only major issue it suffers from is a lack of population on the server I'm on (although yesterday I noted that 98% of the servers listed were all labelled as  "Very Light" in population numbers). 

It is a shame, because I do wonder if it could actually reclaim some of its population with the right development in the right areas.

• TarkaTarka Member Posts: 1,662
    Originally posted by SioBabble

The problem is that in order to make it seem "faster" in combat, they screwed up the combat system to run five times as fast which overloads the data transport system so that specials and heals misfire due to that one decision, which makes combat clunky and frustrating next to say WoW's combat, where your special attacks, buffs, and debuffs actually work as advertised.
    The game used to have gorgeous animations that were remarkable to watch, but the speeded up system has broken all that.  All for the illusion of "faster" combat.
    So, that's what makes SWG bad.  Along with the very poor copies of so many WoW graphical features.

You've got a point there, I noticed the out of sync animations, sliding along the floor and clunky combat too.

• KazaraKazara Member UncommonPosts: 1,086

You say you are interested in playing the game, so it appears you have already made up your mind. Go ahead and do the free trial or go for the $9.99 gamble. Half the game's servers were recently closed and more than half of the remaining servers are struggling due to poor population numbers, so I suggest you roll on the most populated server, Starsider.

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

If you like level/class based games its not that bad.

The resource system and the crafting are still move involved than the average MMO.

Free trial.. as others have said.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Kazara

You say you are interested in playing the game, so it appears you have already made up your mind. Go ahead and do the free trial or go for the $9.99 gamble. Half the game's servers were recently closed and more than half of the remaining servers are struggling due to poor population numbers, so I suggest you roll on the most populated server, Starsider.

i didnt think starsider was one of the populated ones? as far as i know the most populated servers currently are;

Ahazi, Bria, Chimaera.

but its worth having a look on a few of the others if they seem to be more populated at the time your likely to be playing most.

• KazaraKazara Member UncommonPosts: 1,086
    Originally posted by Phry

Originally posted by Kazara

i didnt think starsider was one of the populated ones? as far as i know the most populated servers currently are;

Ahazi, Bria, Chimaera.

but its worth having a look on a few of the others if they seem to be more populated at the time your likely to be playing most.

$OE gave the Free Character Transfers to those on the 12 least populated servers (which closed last month) 10 months or so ago. There was a time servers like Bloodfin & Bria were top population dogs in the game, but Starsider took the substantial  lion's share of the free  transfers making it the most populated by a significant amount. Flurry rates a distant second place population-wise, with Bloodfin & Bria tied for third place.

Starsider has a big enough population to support continuous group activities (heroics, PvP) and a healthy server economy. This has caused Starsider to become the 'Blackhole' server.....sucking in characters from all  the other servers (especially the least populated servers like Gorath)  via paid transfers or rerolls.

• Bob_BlawblawBob_Blawblaw Member Posts: 1,278
    Originally posted by Varny

It's just too dated now

I will give it this much. SWG has always been nice to look at. IMO it still fairs ok in the graphics department.

• Trident9259Trident9259 Member UncommonPosts: 860
  • TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907
    Originally posted by GPrestige

I don't want to hear ANYTHING comparing the game to how it was PRE-NGE/CU. I want a nice short review about the game in its current state with absolutely no ties to how it was. Afterall, it basically is a different game than it was at launch from what I heard.

Compared to?

Let me list some things the game does:

• PvE Content - Plenty of other games and MMOs do PvE 100x's better. NPC's JUMP/warp to you, so there's no such thing as kitting. They shoot through walls, making escape during a tough fight impossible. They spawn on top of you when you stop because we travel faster now than at the games inception.

• Quest based leveling... - but...it's largely repetitive, go here kill this and return only type quests for 90% of it,  and doesn't get you to 90. Once you've done the quests, you can't go back and re-do them. Leveling in SWG was once a social event that combined 80's with 1's 24/7 - I know you don't want "comparisons" - but now it's a solo system that penalizes you for grouping with players able to help you (10+ levels ahead of you), you learn only what the system teaches you and once you hit 90, you'll be wondering wtf you can do because you've burned through all the soloable quests getting there.

• PvP Content - again, compared to any other MMO or game, PvP in SWG is sub-par. In most MMOs, PvP fights take time and some amount of thought. PvP in SWG takes no less than 15min to prep for, but can go by quicker than a Call of Duty spawn. 15min to get ready fight + 5 seconds to die to a Spy makes for a VERY frustrating evening.

• Space - largely untouched from when it was added to the game and by far one of SWG's strengths. Customizable ships...everything from your engine and weapon to the paint scheme. The drawback is the scope of space. It's small, limited and seldom ever updated. What you have is what you get...but what you get can be a blast!

• Crafting - While once an art in SWG, it's little more than a hobby of some now, but it does takes a fully craft based character to do. Resource spawns are random and ever changing and more complex than I can begin to described. It once took YEARS to become a master crafter, but today's bonuses and buffs allow anyone with decent resources to be a decent crafter in days.

• GRIND... - all things from leveling on the ground, leveling in space, leveling in the GCW rank, getting tokens for "jewelry", participating in "holiday events"...everything in SWG is designed to eat a LOT of your time. Maybe that floats your boat, but I prefer fun gameplay to grinds. If it's "fun". I'll do it again and again...if it's a "grind", I'll do it until I don't need to ever again.

• Entertainer - Once one of the social class of the game, they have become little more than buff bots and afk alts.

• Player Housing - By far the greatest asset in SWG IMO. A house that "I" can decorate and show my virtual awards in. If I'm a collector, you can see it. If I'm a pack rat, it's obvious. If I'm a pilot, you'll know. I can show off my weapon collection or my painting collection. My vet rewards are there for all to see. This is by far the BEST part of SWG. When nothing else is happening, I can decorate or sort stuff.

• Very open world - If you're an explorer, you can drive for hours and hours just marveling at the landscapes. You'll only "load" when you travel to another planet.

I've tried to avoid "comparisons" and have only used them to try to explain WHY some classes are even full classes these days - in most games, crafting is part of a professions specialty or an innate skill. In SWG it takes a full time dedicated toon - the justification for that kind of sacrifice is just not there these days IMO. 

SWG is still trying to find it's "core". It still doesn't have a functioning Galactic Civil War (Rebels vs. Imperials) system after 6+ years. Most games have some central "theme" with obvious or defined roles...SWG doesn't.

SWG has several strengths (open worlds, space, housing), and very few games (if any) offer as much as SWG does...but in reality, SWG is a jack of all trades, master of none.

• jadan2000jadan2000 Member UncommonPosts: 508

I dont think it is at all. i enjoyed my time in SWG so much it was crazy!! I really loved that game. but i grew out of it. At a certain point there just wasnt much else for me to do. I would always recommend this game.

• shinkanshinkan Member UncommonPosts: 240

Even though I can't stand the current game, I would recommend you to try the free trial to make up your own mind, noting can replace that.

• Mystik86Mystik86 Member CommonPosts: 380

I don't consider SWG to be a bad game at all, though from what I have heard the pre-CU/NGE game was pretty neat. The game on the whole is outdated somewhat but fun can still be had I think. I'm by no means a fanboy or pre-CU activist, but a gamer who gave the new stuff a chance. If you like a bit of nostalgia in your gaming I'd recommend checking out the game now and ignoring the past. I don't currently play and probably never will again but it's worth a shot for someone who has never experienced the game...

• SuvrocSuvroc Member Posts: 2,383

For a game that's best described as "not that bad" I certainly don't think it's worth the premium subscription rate of $15/month.

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862

"not that bad"

Yes.  That's about right.  Not really BAD, but certainly not anything close to GOOD.  Tolerable in small doses, I suppose, but I can never forget what once was and the comparison sours the experience.  The "Benny Hill" movement and wretched UI that the devs refuse to fix certainly doesn't help.

These day, I play EverQuest II for my crafting and home decorating fun.  If I'm stuck with class-and-level games, I'd much rather play one that works well and was actually designed to function that way, instead of it being a badly-done graft.

• NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835

100% go with the free trial first.

I want to know if the game in its current state is actually any good.

It's OK, it does have it's weaknesses but it has it's strengths too as others have pointed out.  What I wanted to say was to enjoy the game:

Nr. 1 - Don't think of it as Star Wars.  If you can get over that fact and that so much in it is not SW canon, then you'll enjoy it more.

Nr. 2 - Yes Starsider is probably the most pop. server ...... SO STAY AWAY FROM IT!   Because of that big pop. Lok regularly crashes when they do stuff there.  The server can not handle the numbers that have crowded into SS.  I've heard Bloodfin had a healthy sized pop so it would be worth looking elsewhere than SS.

Nr. 3 - If you want to RP than you'll still find many that also want to.  SS has many such groups but they don't play well together and when they do get together .... see Nr. 2 above.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• stinneystinney Member Posts: 35

Is it bad!?

Its perhaps the worst game I have ever played. Ever.

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

I like it, just wish there was some variation in quests...so far they all are pretty much the same

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• BullseyeArc1BullseyeArc1 Member UncommonPosts: 410
    Originally posted by shinkan

Even though I can't stand the current game, I would recommend you to try the free trial to make up your own mind, noting can replace that.

Ya new players will never know the differnce, in its current form its average for a mmo.     Thiers many things to do for a new player, much much more than we had back at start up.       What the biggest problem for games like this is their never finished until its to late.       If they started with this game it would have been a differnt story altogether.      But then again its all one big time waster if your not in it for more than the grind.      I would reccomend some Role Play, every proffesion I played I would add in a little RP.      And make some freinds in game, it always helps to have E freinds in mmo's.