Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Revisit to Hyboria Article

AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

ZAM has a new article up about experiences with AoC worth reading for those wondering about the game:

"In the end, one thing that we certainly have to note is that, if Funcom had released Age of Conan as it is right now, there is no doubt in our minds that this game would have been a smashing success in the industry. What's unfortunate, however, is that the public eye has since passed over this compelling game, and now AoC is lacking in a different kind of content: social content. Our own guess is that some server merges, combined with Funcom's newest deals on AoC subscriptions may be just what this MMO needs to revive its flagging populations and, perhaps, prevent the problem of there being nobody left to appreciate the great steps forward Age of Conan has taken. If a fantastic MMO just keeps getting better, but there's nobody left to appreciate it… is it still a great MMO? Don't let it come to that! Give this game a try!"

They talk quite a bit about social interaction, it will be interesting to see what the expansion Godslayer brings in this area.

Comments

• finaticdfinaticd Member Posts: 843

Seems like they forgot to make it out of Tortage........after the last free trails resulted in a new lott of players, I'm looking at the users per day on X fire and they look dimal for the 2nd free to play thing.

Funcom has reviewed all of its assets relevant for
    impairment testing. This process has led to
    recognition of an impairment loss of around
    3,1 MUSD for Age of Conan due to a decrease in
    numbers of subscribers for the game. Funcom Q4 10 report.
    http://forums.ageofconan.com/showpost.php?p=2926123&postcount=7 500 mains/alts on Tyranny in past 30 days - instead of merge servers let's open a new PvP server, again! http://forums-eu.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=106427

• PelaajaPelaaja Member Posts: 697

I tried the game 3rd time (1st time was 2 weeks at launch, 2nd when they started the trials) and I have to admit that it's in pretty good shape technically.

It still isn't for me (can't tell what is missing, it's just not there) but there's no reason to shame the game itself.

I agree with that article, they should've postponed the launch until now so the never unforgiving MMO-audience would've taken it to their own. But, the ball has been dropped and 3rd strike has been called by the umpire.

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188
    Originally posted by Pelaaja

I tried the game 3rd time (1st time was 2 weeks at launch, 2nd when they started the trials) and I have to admit that it's in pretty good shape technically.
    It still isn't for me (can't tell what is missing, it's just not there) but there's no reason to shame the game itself.
    I agree with that article, they should've postponed the launch until now so the never unforgiving MMO-audience would've taken it to their own. But, the ball has been dropped and 3rd strike has been called by the umpire.

I agree with article too. If you could 'tell' what was missing what would you personally say it would be if you had too?

I think they have come along way with the changes. I reckon Godslayer will give the 'ummpfh' the game needs.

• SirPacoSirPaco Member UncommonPosts: 358
    Originally posted by AmazingAvery

I agree with article too. If you could 'tell' what was missing what would you personally say it would be if you had too?.

Here you go little guy :

(copied and pasted from another thread)

- balance classes

This is a serious issue that has caused many players I know to leave the game out of sheer frustration because they WANTED to play a melee class, they invested time into that class, they learned to master it, however they get pwned by newbies who play OP classes or happen to have a group setup that is OP. It is especially true for minigames but also for world pvp and sieges.

also, nerf cc

Why should players be forced to play heal and caster classes?

- fix how the game runs

(fps) DX10 needs to be optimised. I have a pretty high end PC that is less than 1 year old and a good video card, but if I want to do any kind of PvP, I must play in DX9 with low settings otherwise my FPS is just too low.

(crashes) Other thing to fix are the crashes, whether from doing alt tab or doing a BK or zoning

(lag) Also in certain situations, you may encounter severe lag. Some say it is because people are using lag generators. Others say Funcom had to downgrade the servers in its effort to cut costs.

This is most severe in BK fights or on rest of server during BK fight, but also happens any time to big forces meet in a pvp fight.

However, there was a patch today which might have resolved some of these issues.

- bring content faster (pvp and pve)

We are expecting a patch in a few weeks, maybe more, which should bring content (T3 for pve and PvP towers), but we've been waiting for that for months ! There is not much to do really once you've hit level 80.

- fix the pvp XP system so that it does not encourage a gank festival at lower levels

I was against fixing this at first because I relaly enjoyed pvp on tortrage due to different class balance, shorter combos, faster action, less guards and different map. People have managed to convince me however that this can have a very negative impact on newcomers.

It's not so much the pvp fighting that is the problem in itself, it is the guys that make groups and actively seek out questers to repeatdly gank them

- improve the pvp rewards

Right now, most people who want to optimise their gear for PvP combat spend most of their time in raid dungeons trying to gear up. This is ironic considering that PvP xp eventually gives PvP rewards.... these rewards should be more rewarding (even if only for pvp)

- improve the scripting system for chat

First of all, it's not very intuitive, but lets forget that. The main problem is that the amound of information you can publish in a given channel is dependent on the amount of people subscribed to that channel. So if Global has many people reading it, you will not be able to use a script that has a lot of information in it. However, in the mornings, or at times when there are less people, you can write more. Sometimes, there are so many people reading global that the only thing your script can include is the website of your guild !

This forces many people to simply use a coloured text instead of a link that opens a window with more information etc. Whichi is kind of silly IMO...

- improve ergonomy of emoticons and macros

they are just not very intuitive

- fix the damn bugs

at the moment, there are bugs like you being naked even though you have your gear on.

It means the system thinks you are naked, though you think you got your gear on, so bosses hit you hard, what kind of a crazy bug is that?

No need to go through all the bugs, but there are still many out there, fix them !

- Improve the trader

it's not very ergonomic at all, no need to write a wall of text to explain why

- give meaning to crafting etc and help develop an ingame economy

at the moment, there hardly is an ingame economy

- enforce official rules

for instance, it is considered an exploit to hide your BK. However, when guilds do that and get reported, nothing happens...

- make sure cheating and exploiting is kept to a minimum

no comment

- increase the amount of people who can play in one instance before a new one is created

I think it is good to have 2 instances running, so guys can get away from griefers, but if you make a new instance any time there are more than 10 people, you will hardly ever get any interesting fights..

edit --> things I forgot + change in colour on request ^^

- allow server transfers

- do something about mounted combat

- fix the way pots work and cost

- fix stamina issues (currently a character with a small stamina pool is at an advantage over a character with a big one, so casters > rogues)

- increase amount of storage

- fix murder system that allows lowbies to attack higher levels in groups while giving Murder Points to higher level if he attacks back.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.

• Destiny2010Destiny2010 Member UncommonPosts: 327
    Originally posted by SirPaco

I agree with article too. If you could 'tell' what was missing what would you personally say it would be if you had too?.

- allow server transfers

- fix stamina issues (currently a character with a small stamina pool is at an advantage over a character with a big one, so casters > rogues)

- fix murder system that allows lowbies to attack higher levels in groups while giving Murder Points to higher level if he attacks back.

Server transfers is allowed, you just have to pay for it, as in any other game, where you miss a free transfer period.

That last thing is just retarded, and is exactly the reason high lvls don`t venture in lower then 70 zones too often, unless its in Epic mode. Your are saying that a group of 50s should be allowed to try to take down a lvl 80, and gain pvp xp on it, but the lvl 80 is forbidden to defend himself? Think about it....

But I agree with many of your points on fixing and improving, but it all has two things in common: Time and Resources!

These two things will make the progress slow until RoTG is out, and who knows if the workers on the RoTG will just be pushed onto the TSW production. I hope FC takes time to fix the game, and improve it after RoTG also, perhaps even faster then today. At least for a while, so its not bugged!

Originally posted by Destiny2010

- allow server transfers

Server transfers is allowed, you just have to pay for it, as in any other game, where you miss a free transfer period.

That last thing is just retarded, and is exactly the reason high lvls don`t venture in lower then 70 zones too often, unless its in Epic mode. Your are saying that a group of 50s should be allowed to try to take down a lvl 80, and gain pvp xp on it, but the lvl 80 is forbidden to defend himself? Think about it....

But I agree with many of your points on fixing and improving, but it all has two things in common: Time and Resources!

These two things will make the progress slow until RoTG is out, and who knows if the workers on the RoTG will just be pushed onto the TSW production. I hope FC takes time to fix the game, and improve it after RoTG also, perhaps even faster then today. At least for a while, so its not bugged!

Hello, sorry I was not quite clear enough. Server transfers ARE allowed in SOME cases (payed), but server transfers to the server I am playing on (FURY) are not.

The last thing you did not understand. I am saying a group of lowbies ARE allowed to try to take down a level 80 and gain pvp xp on it but the level 80 is forbideen from defending himself. 

IT IS ACTUALLY THE CASE NOW because if he defends himself, he will get MURDER POINTS and end up in the murder camp.

So if level 80s go to a raid instance which happens to be in a lowbie zone, they can get attacked by a group of lowbies and if they defend themselevs, end up with murder points... got it?

As to the things in common, time and ressources

1. time

They've had more than a year to fix most of these things and failde.

2. ressources

They've had the ressources, but now, in case you did not know, they are "cutting back" on ressources. Which basically means if you did not see this shit being fixed when they had the time and ressources, you won't see it get fixed now they cut back on ressources.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.

• DaSpackDaSpack Member UncommonPosts: 589

- allow server transfers

Hello, sorry I was not quite clear enough. Server transfers ARE allowed in SOME cases (payed), but server transfers to the server I am playing on (FURY) are not.

The last thing you did not understand. I am saying a group of lowbies ARE allowed to try to take down a level 80 and gain pvp xp on it but the level 80 is forbideen from defending himself. 

IT IS ACTUALLY THE CASE NOW because if he defends himself, he will get MURDER POINTS and end up in the murder camp.

So if level 80s go to a raid instance which happens to be in a lowbie zone, they can get attacked by a group of lowbies and if they defend themselevs, end up with murder points... got it?

As to the things in common, time and ressources

1. time

They've had more than a year to fix most of these things and failde.

2. ressources

They've had the ressources, but now, in case you did not know, they are "cutting back" on ressources. Which basically means if you did not see this shit being fixed when they had the time and ressources, you won't see it get fixed now they cut back on ressources.

Dude why do you keep hashing stuff about a game you clearly do not understand. Even me that just started know that this is not the case. After lowbies attack you, you are free to gank them for some time. Which is done, which I have done, over and over again (just that my scenario is my level 35s vs multiple lvl 20s). It's quite fun in fact and adds another dimention to PvP. I like to see if I can own those several guys at the same time. It's so rewarding when you do and when they piss off.

And all of this with no murderpoints getting in the way. Murderpoints is just there to prevent assholes to ruin the fun for low level people. And it works in my opinion.

The Ultimate Breakdown

Originally posted by DaSpack

Dude why do you keep hashing stuff about a game you clearly do not understand. Even me that just started know that this is not the case. After lowbies attack you, you are free to gank them for some time. Which is done, which I have done, over and over again (just that my scenario is my level 35s vs multiple lvl 20s). It's quite fun in fact and adds another dimention to PvP. I like to see if I can own those several guys at the same time. It's so rewarding when you do and when they piss off.

And all of this with no murderpoints getting in the way. Murderpoints is just there to prevent assholes to ruin the fun for low level people. And it works in my opinion.

Because I clearly seem to understand it better than you at least lol.

The point is that "normally" if a lowbie attacks you, and does more than a certain amount of damage, he turns red and you are free to attack him. You get murder points, and these are immediately taken away from you.

WELL THE SYSTEM IS BUGGED (which is one of the reasons I got banned, because I got repeatedly attacked by lowbies who turned red, attacked them back only when they were red and got murder points. This ruined my game time on that weekend and I ranted on forum and got banned for it. So I know what I'm talking about.

In case you still don't believe me, read these threads below from the official forum.

forums-eu.ageofconan.com/showthread.php

forums-eu.ageofconan.com/showthread.php   this one in particular

forums-eu.ageofconan.com/showthread.php  also this one in particular

Conclusion, you're opinion, with all due respect, is flawed.

• DaSpackDaSpack Member UncommonPosts: 589

Originally posted by DaSpack

Because I clearly seem to understand it better than you at least lol.

The point is that "normally" if a lowbie attacks you, and does more than a certain amount of damage, he turns red and you are free to attack him. You get murder points, and these are immediately taken away from you.

WELL THE SYSTEM IS BUGGED (which is one of the reasons I got banned, because I got repeatedly attacked by lowbies who turned red, attacked them back only when they were red and got murder points. This ruined my game time on that weekend and I ranted on forum and got banned for it. So I know what I'm talking about.

In case you still don't believe me, read these threads below from the official forum.

Ohhh... so many videos. I guess you just have to be right..NOT.

I have now idea what your videos are supposed to show and when it was filmed. But one thing I know. I crack noob skull 5 hours a day and I see nothing og what seemed to bother you.

The Ultimate Breakdown

Ok now i know it is time to stop our little conversation.

If you had even read those links, without even clicking on them, you would have realised they were links to official forum threads--- not videos lol.
    Bye now

If you had even read those links, without even clicking on them, you would have realised they were links to official forum threads--- not videos lol.

Bye now

You fed the troll, shame on you ;)

And I added nothing constructive to this conversation, sorry.

• BeanpuieBeanpuie Member UncommonPosts: 812

Bye now

All in all, the Murder System needs to be fixed badly.

some low levels can careless if your in their zones, some guilds would promote the idea of sticking lowbies in 80 zone raids/groups when doing pvp, so they can give the other side murder points until they leave.

but not surprising you have groups that actually defend this kind of cheap tactic.

and it is still going on strong close to a year now

• astrob0yastrob0y Member Posts: 702

thanks for the link AmazingAvery (love your nick :)

I tried aoc for the forth (or was it the fifth time) and the game has risen to greatness. love my dark templar at level 43 atm :) 

I7@4ghz, 5970@ 1 ghz/5ghz, water cooled||Former setups Byggblogg||Byggblogg 2|| Msi Wind u100

• finaticdfinaticd Member Posts: 843

You should not link those as Funcom may ban the OPs ;p The main thing is Funcom stopped working on AoC right after release and except for a skelly crew and then they did it again after they found out that this game was going to cost them money in the tune for 34 million and another 9 million of good will.  The sad thing is it seems like Funcom will be doing the same thing for the expansion and TSW......lol after the failure to get AoC ported to X Box they are now saying TSW will be ported, both have the same engine.

Funcom has reviewed all of its assets relevant for
    impairment testing. This process has led to
    recognition of an impairment loss of around
    3,1 MUSD for Age of Conan due to a decrease in
    numbers of subscribers for the game. Funcom Q4 10 report.
    http://forums.ageofconan.com/showpost.php?p=2926123&postcount=7 500 mains/alts on Tyranny in past 30 days - instead of merge servers let's open a new PvP server, again! http://forums-eu.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=106427

Originally posted by finaticd

You should not link those as Funcom may ban the OPs ;p The main thing is Funcom stopped working on AoC right after release and except for a skelly crew and then they did it again after they found out that this game was going to cost them money in the tune for 34 million and another 9 million of good will. 

[Don't Topic Hijack-Stay On Topic]

I did ask you earlier on in the thread a question though, if you want to answer?

• Cyborg99Cyborg99 Member Posts: 576

Thanks for the link Avery (also you dx10 vids are awsome)

If you call yourself a gamer you would give AoC another unbiased try and see you like it. If you don't like it thats fine but give it a try first.

Trolls = Hardcore
    Fanbois = Carebears

The only posts I read in threads are my own.

Originally posted by Cyborg99

Thanks for the link Avery (also you dx10 vids are awsome)
    If you call yourself a gamer you would give AoC another unbiased try and see you like it. If you don't like it thats fine but give it a try first.

Sure, the game is not perfect. AT ALL. However, it has improved, I think many of the not so good points in the article are right.

Weighing things up to make a better informed decision is the right thing to do. Question is you want that information both good and bad preferably from current or recent subscribers who can put things across constructively. Not from people who make things up because they quit after the 1st month a year and a half ago, had so much of a love affair in that first month that 18 months later they are still in love and can't get over it.

I didn't write the article, I thought it nicely constructive for people interested here. Part 1 which I missed is far more less glossy.

I did ask you earlier on in the thread a question though, if you want to answer?

I'm afraid I'm unable to elaborate my feelings about the game further. If I could, I'd say it aloud. The game doesn't have "it" to me.