Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is no one ever happy? Come in, it's Star Trek!

I have been reading the mostly negative posts about the upcoming Star Trek Online game.  While I don't know the exact in's and out's of this game, just the general details, I am going to state why I and other Trekkies should be excited, and why the faults may not be fault.

1.  Everyone is complaining that there won't be exploration like Voyager or TNG.  Well, I don't hear any complaints it's not going to be like DS9, right?  DS9 was mostly about war and the fighting.  It was epic.  If Cryptic omitted that, all of you would be whining "Where are the epic battles like DS9?"  Cryptic has to sell this game to non-trekkies.  To do that, it requires to show the fighting.  It looks epic.  Yeah, could be a bit on the easy side, but, for a Trekkie, I can't wait to make my own ship, add what I want to it, and finally feel like a "captain."

2.  Same engine as Champions Online right?  And...?  Who cares!  Half Life and Team Fortress share the same engine.  I don't like Half Life, but love TF.  Just because the engine is tied to a poor MMO doesn't mean this will be poor.  Leads to my next point...

3.  So what, Champions Online was shallow.  I played it, enjoyed it, and quit.  Disappointed, yes, but it doesn't mean Star Trek will be like this.  If you refuse to play games made by the same company that were bad, then no one would be touching EA games.  They surely have more bad than good.  So that reasoning makes little sense.

4.  Two years to develop = suckage.  No, not true.  How long was Daikatana in development and sucked?  How long as Duke Nukem been in development?  Time means nothing, it's what work is put into the game.  It will also take time to grow beyond that.  WoW sucked day one, and for awhile after that.  But now, it's a near perfect MMO.

Basically, if you don't want to play the game or think it will fail, shut up.  You are ruining it for those who are eager for it.  Yes, I pre-ordered, and I will buy a lifetime subscription if it's offered.  It's Star Trek!  All of us nerds are eager to be captains and see other captains and roleplay in those roles without being laughed at.  I'm excited, I'm stoked, I will be taking time off work just to take the game in when it's released.  So those with a negative attitude on the game, don't join!  Starfleet doesn't want you!

Comments

• DanaDarkDanaDark Member Posts: 125

Wait and See. My official response to all things ha ha.

Anyway, I am glad to see some people are eager and look forward to it and still understand it is a game, not a virtural reality meant to completely replace your life and make you fully believe you are living in one of the shows.

• huskibluhuskiblu Member Posts: 8
    Originally posted by DanaDark

Wait and See. My official response to all things ha ha.
    Anyway, I am glad to see some people are eager and look forward to it and still understand it is a game, not a virtural reality meant to completely replace your life and make you fully believe you are living in one of the shows.

By no means will I dilute myself into thinking it is real.  Yes, my imagination will run wild.  But that is why I enjoy books just as much as video games - seeing it in my head.

• Justarius1Justarius1 Member Posts: 381

I look forward to trying it out when I'm released.  I'm a major Trekkie and I can't wait to play the game.  That having been said, I am also a major Dungeons and Dragons fan and I really tried to like Dungeons and Dragons Online, too.  ;)

In all seriousness, I'm not playing the beta right now and unless I was, I don't think my commentary or opinions would matter much.  Most of us are going to wait, see, play it and I highly suspect it will be what most MMO launches are - hundreds of thousands of subs at launch, after the first month at least half of those will quit because the game wasn't the "end all, be all" MMO they expected it to be - see Aion's launch - and the game will also continue to do quite fine and continue on with hundreds of thousands of players, those ones that stick around because they love Trek lore.

I know I'll stick around for the Trek setting unless they *really* make an unplayable (DDO cough DDO) game.  :)

Then you sir, can actually enjoy a game that doesnt cater solely, specifically, to you. A dying breed my friend. A dying breed.

• BenjolaBenjola Member UncommonPosts: 843
    Originally posted by huskiblu

Why is no one ever happy? Come in, it's Star Trek!

I'm happy most of the time, just not with this particular MMO heh.

I've been following this game for couple of months now and as I was getting more info on it I went from "It's Star Trek and therefor I will play it from launch no matter what"  to  "I'll wait couple of months after launch to get a better picture if it's an entertaining game for me".

I've wasted money before on games because I didn't follow my insticts but after decade of playing MMOs my insticts are very acurate and I decided to follow them this time.

I care about your gaming 'problems' and teenage anxieties, just not today.

• GetViolatedGetViolated Member Posts: 335

it's because of  people like you companies put together crappy games to make a quick buck

• TycaliburTycalibur Member Posts: 97
    Originally posted by GetViolated

it's because of  people like you companies put together crappy games to make a quick buck

Quoted for emphasis.

"Why is no one ever happy? Come in, it's Star Trek!"

If I said this when the SWG NGE came out (which I wouldn't), I'd have been assaulted by an angry lynch mob of CU/Pre-CU fans.

A namesake or universally recognised genre only gets your attention, it doesn't keep your attention.

Star Trek is just the title.  That is all.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

So basically we should all come and play this game, not because it's going to be any good or  anything but because it has star trek in the title?

Maybe you should suggest this to the marketing team

Star Trek online : not very good but it has the star trek name though

• RaltarRaltar Member UncommonPosts: 829

1.  Everyone is complaining that there won't be exploration like Voyager or TNG.  Well, I don't hear any complaints it's not going to be like DS9, right?  DS9 was mostly about war and the fighting. 
    2.  Same engine as Champions Online right?  And...?  Who cares!  Half Life and Team Fortress share the same engine.  I don't like Half Life, but love TF.  Just because the engine is tied to a poor MMO doesn't mean this will be poor. 
    3.  So what, Champions Online was shallow.  I played it, enjoyed it, and quit.  Disappointed, yes, but it doesn't mean Star Trek will be like this.  If you refuse to play games made by the same company that were bad, then no one would be touching EA games.  They surely have more bad than good.  So that reasoning makes little sense.
    4.  Two years to develop = suckage.  No, not true.  How long was Daikatana in development and sucked?  How long as Duke Nukem been in development?  Time means nothing, it's what work is put into the game.  It will also take time to grow beyond that.  WoW sucked day one, and for awhile after that.  But now, it's a near perfect MMO.

1. DS9 was not "about war" at all. There was ONE war in the show, yes. But there were something like five seasons to the show before that war even started? The show also contained diplomacy, political intrigue, espionage, history, drama and many other elements which I personally found much more interesting than the explosions. Cryptic apparently skipped the episodes which didn't have explosions.

2. Half-Life and TF both share the same engine and both are very similar games. They both are FPS games with similar game mechanics. One just happens to be multiplayer with classes. Is there anything wrong with using an engine from one game to make another? No. But both games need to be pretty similar in style for it to work properly. You can't very easily expect to take an engine designed for a simplistic super hero game and adapt it to a complex space travel game. The original Champions Engine was never designed for the type of game STO should be and as a result of that STO will be limited to being the type of game that the Champions engine can create.

3. Actually I WON'T buy any products from EA just because of all the crap they have pulled on gamers down through the years. I think its a policy everyone should have. This "oh sure their last game was bad but we can't hold it aginst them attitude" is the reason why crappy developers/publishers like EA are able to stay in business. Until gamers start holding companies accountable for their actions they will continue to walk all over us and expect us to smile while they wipe their shoes on our faces.

4. Woah... are you for real? Daikatana was crap not because of how long it was in developemt but because its creator was a drug addicted womanizer who was more interested in acting like a rock star than in developing a game. And a Duke Nukem Forever joke? What is this, 2003? Neither of those games was an MMO. Short development time means limited content when it comes to an MMO. Expect about a month worth of PvE stuff to do in the game before you hit max level and then all thats left is half-assed PvP (Cryptic has never gotten PvP right) and waiting for the next update.

And you think WoW is a "near-perferct" MMO? Yeah... thats going to be a great way to start off your presence on this forum...

Originally posted by Karahandras

So basically we should all come and play this game, not because it's going to be any good or  anything but because it has star trek in the title?
    Maybe you should suggest this to the marketing team
    Star Trek online : not very good but it has the star trek name though

Point missed, as usual.  I'm not saying that at all.

If you like it, more power to you.  I am stating my opinion in all the posts I've made about this.  I'm one person, and if I don't want to play the game after I've tried the beta, then I won't.

• RaltarRaltar Member UncommonPosts: 829

I think Karahandras' statement was actually aimed at the OP. The OP is pretty much saying that we shouldn't complain about the game because... well, thats not really clear. But he pretty much thinks we should ignore all the possible faults the game may or may not have and buy it anyway, just for the hell of it.

• DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678

Ummm....do we really need another thread for people to complain about STO?  I thought we had enough.  I know the OP is defending STO, but that will mean people will defend their negative views here as well, and we'll get another thread with the same back-and-forth as two or three other threads.

This is not an optimal expenditure of our resources.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

I have been reading the mostly negative posts about the upcoming Star Trek Online game.  While I don't know the exact in's and out's of this game, just the general details, I am going to state why I and other Trekkies should be excited, and why the faults may not be fault.
    1.  Everyone is complaining that there won't be exploration like Voyager or TNG.  Well, I don't hear any complaints it's not going to be like DS9, right?  DS9 was mostly about war and the fighting.  It was epic.  If Cryptic omitted that, all of you would be whining "Where are the epic battles like DS9?"  Cryptic has to sell this game to non-trekkies.  To do that, it requires to show the fighting.  It looks epic.  Yeah, could be a bit on the easy side, but, for a Trekkie, I can't wait to make my own ship, add what I want to it, and finally feel like a "captain."
    2.  Same engine as Champions Online right?  And...?  Who cares!  Half Life and Team Fortress share the same engine.  I don't like Half Life, but love TF.  Just because the engine is tied to a poor MMO doesn't mean this will be poor.  Leads to my next point...
    Basically, if you don't want to play the game or think it will fail, shut up.  You are ruining it for those who are eager for it.  Yes, I pre-ordered, and I will buy a lifetime subscription if it's offered.  It's Star Trek!  All of us nerds are eager to be captains and see other captains and roleplay in those roles without being laughed at.  I'm excited, I'm stoked, I will be taking time off work just to take the game in when it's released.  So those with a negative attitude on the game, don't join!  Starfleet doesn't want you!

I understand where you're coming from. Some people speak bad about the game on such a consistent basis that it makes you wonder why they don't just move on to any of the dozens of other games that are in development. As for the reasons you sited, it really doesn't matter. Some people had their own ideas about what the game should be and when it didn't pan out that way they decided to bash the game at every turn  with whatever excuse they could find. They're more entertaining when ignored because then they shadow you and make real *sses of themselves trying to get your attention.;)

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• j911gj911g Member UncommonPosts: 9

I think people should stop complaining because it's pointless. Especially on this website. I've read through several posts and found very well thought out and articulated page long posts telling me why this game will be bad and whats wrong with it and blah blah blah. 

All the energy and thought put into those posts is laughable. Firstly, this forum isn't even associated with the game staff at all, so no one who could actually make a change in the game will, in all likelihood, ever read them.

Secondly, it's about as effective as arguing about religion or politics. Here you are trying to convince Star Trek fans, not to like a Star Trek game they've already read about and looked at and made up their own opinions about, good luck with that.

Thirdly, it's a waist of time, please take all that energy and suppressed internet aggression and try to channel it towards something productive, you are all founts of negativity, and I do not doubt you are unhappier for it, even if you don't realize it.

Lastly, I realize most of you will not take my advice, possibly even accusing me of hypocrisy for my posting against negative posters, yet my goal is to stop the cynicism, and that is a productive use of time. 

Rainbows and Unicorns only in this thread pls. Think HAPPY thoughts....

• grandpagamergrandpagamer Member Posts: 2,221

The closer it gets to release the more hate this game will receive. After launch the, "I hate all new games" folks will move on to the next to release. It happens as regular as clockwork. 

Originally posted by grandpagamer

The closer it gets to release the more hate this game will receive. After launch the, "I hate all new games" folks will move on to the next to release. It happens as regular as clockwork. 

I tend to notice this as well. It's hard to believe that there isn't at least ONE game that provides these nitpickers what they want. Oh well, at least they'll be gone at some point and then real discussion won't get clouded by trolling.

• grandpagamergrandpagamer Member Posts: 2,221
    Originally posted by ktanner3

I tend to notice this as well. It's hard to believe that there isn't at least ONE game that provides these nitpickers what they want. Oh well, at least they'll be gone at some point and then real discussion won't get clouded by trolling.

Yeah i remember being called a troll when i said  Aion was too much "more of the same" for me and a fanboy when i said I liked the art style.  I thought having actually played the game in beta my opinions at least had some basis but  I was wrong :)

Bah, everyone is too busy copying EQ and WoW to make such a game, largely.  Rather annoying.  FFXIV and SW:TOR look promising though.  I thought STO looked very promising as well until recently.

Originally posted by Drachasor

Bah, everyone is too busy copying EQ and WoW to make such a game, largely.  Rather annoying.  FFXIV and SW:TOR look promising though.  I thought STO looked very promising as well until recently.

I played World of Warcraft and don't see how they are copying it in any which way shape or form. The IP itself is different (ship and land based) along with the player progression, custamization etc etc. Not even close.

I played World of Warcraft and don't see how they are copying it in any which way shape or form. The IP itself is different (ship and land based) along with the player progression, custamization etc etc. Not even close.

I'm talking about the Holy Trinity combat system -- customizing doesn't matter that much if in the end the combat isn't much different.

I'm talking about the Holy Trinity combat system -- customizing doesn't matter that much if in the end the combat isn't much different.

The combat system is similiar to the IP that the game is based on. If the game doesn't stay true to the IP then it will fail ala SWG.

And it's very disengenious to call a game a WOW clone when you're only talking about one feature. 5 or more features maybe but not one.

The combat system is similiar to the IP that the game is based on. If the game doesn't stay true to the IP then it will fail ala SWG.

And it's very disengenious to call a game a WOW clone when you're only talking about one feature. 5 or more features maybe but not one.

Similar to the IP it is based on?  You have to be joking.  There are no ships that heal others during combat in Star Trek.  The most powerful arsenal is on "Cruisers".  Certainly as far as combat is concerned this game doesn't resemble the IP that much at all.  Heck, they even have it on a 2D grid!

I'm sure it will have a lot of repetitive and rather boring quests that you have to do a lot of to level.  The combat system will force you to specialize your ships (which will make it rather confining).  Multiple ships is like dual-speccing.  There is a good bit that is WoW-like in it, overall.  Since combat is these games plays a huge role, having WoW-like combat is a rather big deal though.

Similar to the IP it is based on?  You have to be joking.  There are no ships that heal others during combat in Star Trek.  The most powerful arsenal is on "Cruisers".  Certainly as far as combat is concerned this game doesn't resemble the IP that much at all.  Heck, they even have it on a 2D grid!

I'm sure it will have a lot of repetitive and rather boring quests that you have to do a lot of to level.  The combat system will force you to specialize your ships (which will make it rather confining).  Multiple ships is like dual-speccing.  There is a good bit that is WoW-like in it, overall.  Since combat is these games plays a huge role, having WoW-like combat is a rather big deal though.

The most powerful ships in Starfleet were cruiser type ships so I don't know what your hang up with that is. The Escorts have better maneurability  and are smaller. The Science ships are friggin science ships and act as support. That's the way it was in Star Trek and that is the way is going to be in this game.

Your second paragraph is all hypothetical based on no facts. Please do better reading on the game from the official website and you will see how ridiculous your "WOW Clone" statement is.