Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help me choose a new graphics card!

PwnedSidewayPwnedSideway Member Posts: 60

Okay, I found both these cards for around ~$100. It would be quite an upgrade from my nVidia 7600 GS.

nVidia GeForce GT 240

or

ATI Radeon 4770 HD

 

Please explain why you think I should buy one over the other.

Thanks in advance.

Playing:
Waiting for: Earthrise, SW:TOR

Comments

  • TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547

    I would probably invest in a more common card, rather than one of those cards that hardly anyone is going to buy.

     

    I ran into this problem twice a few years ago. I bought one of the less sold lower end cards and ended up with games that didn't support that card, because nobody used it. I forget the cards exactly, but one was ATI and the other was nVidia. Not really sure how this applies to today, this was back in the 64mb was king days.... but still I will never go for one of the less used cards ever again.

     

    A GTX 260 is like $75 more... why don't you go for that? 

    www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx

    There are some that are $160ish... but I've never heard of those brands and I don't buy or suggest brands I've never heard of. I've used MSI parts before and was happy with them.

  • AstralglideAstralglide Member UncommonPosts: 686

     I have a 9800GTX and I couldn't be happier with it. I would go with NVIDIA either way. For me, every ATI product has failed or had issues. I've never had problems with Nvidia.

    A witty saying proves nothing.
    -Voltaire

  • KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

    Get the nVidia GTX 275 896mb by EVGA

     

    One damn fine card and its not very expensive...I currently run this one and its incredible!

  • kzaskekzaske Member UncommonPosts: 518

    Unless there is some pressing need to get a new video card now, I would advise you wait two to three months.  I am not saying that you will see the price of those specific cards drop, but you should see higher end cards drop some in price as the newer cards are released.

  • TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547
    Originally posted by Astralglide


     I have a 9800GTX and I couldn't be happier with it. I would go with NVIDIA either way. For me, every ATI product has failed or had issues. I've never had problems with Nvidia.

     

    They are MUCH better at keeping updated drivers. So for me, they are well worth the extra price.

  • noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

    Ok this isn't the 64mb days anymore.. ATI has a policy for monthly driver updates. The current version is 9.11, for Nov '09, last version was 9.10 for Oct '09, etc. This is more frequent than nvidia updates their's.. drivers aren't an issue these days nor is reliability since the HD line.


    2nd, you guys telling him to get a GTX 275 or GTX 260 even are missing the point. I could tell him to get a Radeon 5970 or GTX 295 but he wants to spend $100 not $200 and not $500.


    The best option currently at $100 is a 9800GT. A 4770 at $100 beats this hands down however.. I just never see 4770's for $100, so this is the way to go if you found such a deal. A 240 barely beats a 9600GT so this should give you an idea of where these 2 cards stand (ie don't touch that 240).


    Above that, for $125 you can get a GTS250 (re: 9800GTX+), this is the way to go right now if you can toss down $25 more, and might be worth it. At $150 a Radeon 4870. $170 you choose between two cards that aren't any faster than the 4870, but have DX11 (Radeon 5770) or Physx (GTX260). At $190 you get a Radeon 4890 which pretty much crushes its price range and the next step up from it.

  • PwnedSidewayPwnedSideway Member Posts: 60
    Originally posted by noquarter


    Ok this isn't the 64mb days anymore.. ATI has a policy for monthly driver updates. The current version is 9.11, for Nov '09, last version was 9.10 for Oct '09, etc. This is more frequent than nvidia updates their's.. drivers aren't an issue these days nor is reliability since the HD line.


    2nd, you guys telling him to get a GTX 275 or GTX 260 even are missing the point. I could tell him to get a Radeon 5970 or GTX 295 but he wants to spend $100 not $200 and not $500.


    The best option currently at $100 is a 9800GT. A 4770 at $100 beats this hands down however.. I just never see 4770's for $100, so this is the way to go if you found such a deal. A 240 barely beats a 9600GT so this should give you an idea of where these 2 cards stand (ie don't touch that 240).


    Above that, for $125 you can get a GTS250 (re: 9800GTX+), this is the way to go right now if you can toss down $25 more, and might be worth it. At $150 a Radeon 4870. $170 you choose between two cards that aren't any faster than the 4870, but have DX11 (Radeon 5770) or Physx (GTX260). At $190 you get a Radeon 4890 which pretty much crushes its price range and the next step up from it.

    Thank you very much. THIS was the kind of answer I was looking for.

    Playing:
    Waiting for: Earthrise, SW:TOR

  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,250

    Hmm I must update my price verse performance chart.  $1~$90 AMD, $90~$120 nVidia, $120+ AMD

    HD4850 starts at $120 which overtakes the 9800GTX+ and GTS250.

  • RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,597
    Originally posted by Cleffy


    Hmm I must update my price verse performance chart.  $1~$90 AMD, $90~$120 nVidia, $120+ AMD
    HD4850 starts at $120 which overtakes the 9800GTX+ and GTS250.

     

    Has ATI cooled their chips down?  My Sapphire 3870 could heat my house...

  • KyntorKyntor Member Posts: 280

    I would probably go for the 4850 or the 5750.  I think you are going to see them both in the $100-$120 range on Black Friday.

     

    "Those who dislike things based only on the fact that they are popular are just as shallow and superficial as those who only like them for the same reason."

  • bhugbhug Member UncommonPosts: 944

    9.11.19
    image
    three 30" monitors + an us$600 AMD/ATI HD5970 link
    image

    vs an us$270 HD5850 for single monitor display
    image

    Three things with gpu (graphics processing unit) the OS (?Vista or W7) and if your mobo (motherboard) limits you to ATI or Nvidia. Newer sli/crossfire gpu pairs one will need +800w power supply (with pairs of 6 and 8-pin PCIe power connectors.)

    image

  • TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547
    Originally posted by PwnedSideway

    Originally posted by noquarter


    Ok this isn't the 64mb days anymore.. ATI has a policy for monthly driver updates. The current version is 9.11, for Nov '09, last version was 9.10 for Oct '09, etc. This is more frequent than nvidia updates their's.. drivers aren't an issue these days nor is reliability since the HD line.


    2nd, you guys telling him to get a GTX 275 or GTX 260 even are missing the point. I could tell him to get a Radeon 5970 or GTX 295 but he wants to spend $100 not $200 and not $500.


    The best option currently at $100 is a 9800GT. A 4770 at $100 beats this hands down however.. I just never see 4770's for $100, so this is the way to go if you found such a deal. A 240 barely beats a 9600GT so this should give you an idea of where these 2 cards stand (ie don't touch that 240).


    Above that, for $125 you can get a GTS250 (re: 9800GTX+), this is the way to go right now if you can toss down $25 more, and might be worth it. At $150 a Radeon 4870. $170 you choose between two cards that aren't any faster than the 4870, but have DX11 (Radeon 5770) or Physx (GTX260). At $190 you get a Radeon 4890 which pretty much crushes its price range and the next step up from it.

    Thank you very much. THIS was the kind of answer I was looking for.

     

    And you should, I still suggest the 260 though. :-D It's only $75 more and it is a better upgrade. It's going to outperform the 9800 marginally, but it does 9800 SLI and 260 SLI is a pretty big difference according to Tom's Hardware. 

     

    I bought a 280 last year (top of the line) for that purpose. Instead of having to get a bigger better card (next year prob), I'll just get the cheap 280 if I can find it. I wasn't expecting them to get rid of the 280s and go to 275, 285, 295s though........ but the 260s have pretty much been solid since the 200 series has launched.

     

     

  • PwnedSidewayPwnedSideway Member Posts: 60
    Originally posted by Kyntor


    I would probably go for the 4850 or the 5750.  I think you are going to see them both in the $100-$120 range on Black Friday.
     

    Should I be looking at newegg? or is there somewhere else I should be watching?

    Playing:
    Waiting for: Earthrise, SW:TOR

  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,250

    newegg will give best service and usually the best price.  However, newegg also lacks some types of items.  You can also shop using Bing or Google.  You will most likely have more success with Bing.

  • noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170


    Originally posted by PwnedSideway
    Originally posted by Kyntor I would probably go for the 4850 or the 5750.  I think you are going to see them both in the $100-$120 range on Black Friday.
     
    Should I be looking at newegg? or is there somewhere else I should be watching?

    I also like Zipzoomfly, everything except cases has free shipping which helps with hidden cost :)


    Tigerdirect isn't bad, buy.com and amazon.com are worth checking on occasion especially for Black Friday type stuff as these larger stores usually do some retarded deals.

  • JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347

     

    Nvidia 9800+ but a pny for $99 after rebate, this is the best deal i seen and better than the other cards you selected.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133246

    The deal is hard to beat i tried finding others in range but a gts 250 and a 4850 ati are about the same in preformence (the 9800+ are close with the gts 250 ever so smally leading, like so small). But the others cost an extra few bucks. (if your going to get the 250gts 1 gb if not there no point in gettign the 250gts over the 9800+)

     

    Now if you care about warrenties (brand) like your goign to keep that card for more than three years ,  why in three years thgey will all sux and the $20-30 you saved now will go to buy a new $100 dollar card thats three times better that these.

     

    However if you do go with a $120-130 card get a  250 gts 1gb , not an 4850. 250 gts run around 80% of games faster and are cooler chips.

    "Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

  • dfandfan Member Posts: 362

    Radeon 5750/5770 is much better choice than those old nvidia models. 

  • noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170


    Originally posted by Jetrpg
     
    Nvidia 9800+ but a pny for $99 after rebate, this is the best deal i seen and better than the other cards you selected.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133246
    The deal is hard to beat i tried finding others in range but a gts 250 and a 4850 ati are about the same in preformence (the 9800+ are close with the gts 250 ever so smally leading, like so small). But the others cost an extra few bucks. (if your going to get the 250gts 1 gb if not there no point in gettign the 250gts over the 9800+)
     
    Now if you care about warrenties (brand) like your goign to keep that card for more than three years ,  why in three years thgey will all sux and the $20-30 you saved now will go to buy a new $100 dollar card thats three times better that these.
     
    However if you do go with a $120-130 card get a  250 gts 1gb , not an 4850. 250 gts run around 80% of games faster and are cooler chips.

    The 9800GTX+ is a GTS250.. it's the same chip.. that's why they're so close in performance. Any difference is just margin of error or due to the slightly lower power reqs/thermal load on the 250. Benchmarks do often give slightly different results each run so anything within ~2fps can be ignored.

  • SuperwasbeerSuperwasbeer Member Posts: 85

    Or you could wait for the new Nvidia 300 series, there's been lots of spculating about that this year....

    But do go with Nvidia, well anyways I would, because my Ati card died too soon (2 years) and I've kept my 7600GS, like you, for the past 3 years or so....

    I'just waiting for the 300 series to be released

    image

  • RaknarRaknar Member Posts: 192
    Originally posted by TheHatter

    Originally posted by Astralglide


     I have a 9800GTX and I couldn't be happier with it. I would go with NVIDIA either way. For me, every ATI product has failed or had issues. I've never had problems with Nvidia.

     

    They are MUCH better at keeping updated drivers. So for me, they are well worth the extra price.



     

    You realise that ATI has new drivers every months, and nVidia can go months without an update, right? Or that the majority of the problems when Vista was released were caused by nVidia drivers? Didn't think so.

     

  • RaknarRaknar Member Posts: 192

    He mentioned a budget of around $100 nd you are recommending Fermi? LOL Even if that does launch before next summer, don't expect it less than $500.

  • JadegogetterJadegogetter Member Posts: 40

    I’m not exactly in the same boat as you, I have an 8800GTS 640mb (G80 revision) and im looking to upgrade due to my new gaming resolution.



    Anyhow, what I suggest is to first consider BOTH brands and not limit yourself. In the past ATI did not have the advantage, but this is not the past! ATI are the dominant force in bang vs buck. Don’t even think or look at the high end 'enthusiast' cards. They are for the people who like to shell out $1,000 a year on quad SLI and Xfire. What you need to be considering is how well your chosen card will perform in games you play and games you will be playing in the future.



    As you well know, the consensus is and I meen no offence! Gamers who pick their cards on brand name alone will tend to gravitate towards Nvidia because of their reputation. Don’t fall into that trap; Nvidia did have a black spot on their reputation called "Display Driver Stopped Responding and Has Recovered – nvlddmkm nVidia Driver" Any how! To the point! You need to decide do you want to spend a little more and gain a bit more power or be strict and stay on your $100.



    You can have an Nvidia 260 or an ATI 4870. Save a bit, 20-30 extra and you have yourself a 4890, a very powerful card. Then pick your brand of card. Don’t go for fancy stickers or free games but go for the guarantee. XFX are good and do both ATI and Nvidia. Since your most likely American I can’t point you to any stores since I buy on UK stores.

    Sorry for the rant! I guess I like the sound of my own voice

     

  • comerbcomerb Member UncommonPosts: 944
    Originally posted by PwnedSideway


    Okay, I found both these cards for around ~$100. It would be quite an upgrade from my nVidia 7600 GS.
    nVidia GeForce GT 240
    or
    ATI Radeon 4770 HD
     
    Please explain why you think I should buy one over the other.
    Thanks in advance.

     

    A XFX 4870 is the best bang for the buck in the market.  The drivers are very solid, regardless of the non-sense Nvidia fanboys spew.  XFX has lifetime warranties on their products, so they are always a safe bet.  The 4870 has enough juice to run any game out there, and will continue to for the next couple years.

    Probably the best price/performance card that has hit the market in several years.



     

Sign In or Register to comment.