Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which cable?

xanphiaxanphia Member Posts: 684

So I'm using this monitor for my new system:

http://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-VX2260WM-22-Inch-1080p-Monitor/dp/tech-data/B001J2YYZ0/ref=de_a_smtd/190-3266135-8680448

I just ordered it but I'm not sure what type of cable I use for it. I'm currently not at home, so it's tough for me to tell. Is it a VGA cable or an HDMI cable that I use to hook up the system with the monitor? Seems like such a simple question, but I cannot figure it out for the life of me. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

edit* wow I feel stupid! It has HDMI in it's name. NVM please delete this and save my embarassment.

Comments

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

That will be determined in part by which ports your graphics card has.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • xanphiaxanphia Member Posts: 684
    Originally posted by grunty

That will be determined in part by which ports your graphics card has.

I'm gonna have a ATI Radeon 5870.

• TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547

ViewSonic is crap and that one is overpriced.

Get this one

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx

Better, Bigger, Cheaper

Save $60.

Your Monitor and your gfx card will come with all the cables you need. Both the monitor and the card support both DVI and HDMI. (VGA is outdated)

BTW: 

Here's an updated version of that monitor for $30 less.

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx

Moral? Don't buy from Amazon.

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

It actually has all 3 connectors, VGA, HDMI and DVI but doesn't look like it comes with an HDMI cable.. you might want to buy one from http://www.monoprice.com. The cheaper HDMI cables work just fine btw, don't waste money on Monster cables.

The DVI cable it comes with is fine too, only reason to use HDMI over the DVI is to carry audio over the HDMI or watch HDCP protected content (Blu-Ray).

• dfandfan Member Posts: 362

You'll be fine with DVI (no need to buy anything else besides monitor) if you don't plan to get a Blu-ray drive and watch movies with it.

Mmm I already have the Viewsonic. So I really have no choice whether I'm buying a new one or now. But actually, I've been quite happy with it.

I have a 360 so I'm also going to plug the VGA cable into it and then also plug the computer system into it. So all I have to do is switch back and forth between channels. Convenient. Such a couch potato haha.

Edit* So I guess I will have to check the cables the monitor came with then.

• dlarge122878dlarge122878 Member Posts: 13

Dell 30" FTW

• TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547
    Originally posted by xanphia

Mmm I already have the Viewsonic. So I really have no choice whether I'm buying a new one or now. But actually, I've been quite happy with it.
    I have a 360 so I'm also going to plug the VGA cable into it and then also plug the computer system into it. So all I have to do is switch back and forth between channels. Convenient. Such a couch potato haha.

Grab a TV Tuner and have a DVR too. I've been wanting to build a media machine for awhile now, but haven't gotten around to it. It would also double as my wife's gaming machine since her desk thingy is close enough to run an extended DVI.

Originally posted by TheHatter

Originally posted by xanphia

Grab a TV Tuner and have a DVR too. I've been wanting to build a media machine for awhile now, but haven't gotten around to it. It would also double as my wife's gaming machine since her desk thingy is close enough to run an extended DVI.

I was really thinking of it. But I opted not too for the sole reason that I would want to eventually get up from that spot haha. Otherwise I was very tempted. The option was available.