Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Borderlands: The Diablo of the FPS generation

ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

You know who likes Borderlands? Clifford Bleszinski! The Epic Games designer has spoken incredibly highly of Gearbox Software's "roleplaying shooter," going so far as to compare it with the classic Blizzard RPG Diablo.

"Borderlands, I adore you," Tweets the handsome Gears of War creator. "You’re Diablo for a generation raised on first person shooters. I want a Claptrap."

I've spent the past two weeks playing Borderlands whenever I can get a spare minute, and I must say that I have loved almost every second of it after the a rather dull start. Once the game kicks into high gear, it becomes an addictive loot fest and the power that players feel when they start customizing their characters is incredibly rewarding. I feel inclined to agree with Cliffy in part. This is very much the Diablo of first-person-shooters.

Oh, and I also want a Claptrap.

Source: www.destructoid.com/cliffy-b-borderlands-is-the-diablo-of-the-fps-generation-154387.phtml

Comments

• peenkpeenk Member Posts: 270

I like the idea of the game, but I wish they did a better job on characters, as in allowed the players to create custom characters.  Or at least let us pick what class we want.  I wanted a sniper but I hate the way Mordechai looks like.  

WTB Shadowbane 2

• ZhqrxtZhqrxt Member Posts: 152

The headshot= critical`s is suchs a obviuos way to combine the peaks from rpg and fps, that its weird it isnt done more and before. Aiming are rewarded with big numbers.  All new mmo`s should have this feature. Imagine you could place that Mortal Strike or Inferno Spell in the opponents face, simply by clicking the rigth place, getting a nice critical as reward. The "talent" trees which often focus on getting those criticals bigger gives, together with the huge amounts of gun upgrades, the game a nice flow.

The game could have been a new Diablo had the talent trees been twice as deep and abit more interesting. The games melee aspect is failed completely - it just dosnt work in a first person mode. You are to close, you cant really se the mob you are hitting and its to chaotic and button mashingly unfun. Which ofc makes 2 of the characters less fun ( Brick especialy). The game should have had a isometric/3erd person kinda view option. Take a look at Arkham Asylum to se how melee combat is done.

Last complain is the graphic. Cel shading is the new buzz word among game designers and it is used to give characters and inverioments a interresting cartoony feel, and when done right, it is actually possible to come up with a painted,  fantasy`ish look - it is possible to make screenshots look abit like a Frank Frazzeta poster, which ofc is the perfect look for a RPG. However, in Borderlands the falloff value ( the value which determines the color and size of outlines) is way to high - so the thick outline anoys when the target is far away.

Even with those flaws, Borderlands is still one of the most addictive new games. Oneshotting mobs with huge Sniper Headshot criticals is incredible satisfying. Some downloadable content with more talents and skills and some new items slots (Maybe different bullet types, kevlar armors and suchs) could give the game a longer lifespan.

• InterestingInteresting Member UncommonPosts: 972

Closed Servers. NOT!

Random Loot Tabbles. NOT!

Random area generation. NOT!

Level cap reachable in 2 days = POINTLESS

Diablo 2 (pre lod) took months to reach the last 10 levels from 90 and upwards.

Diablo had end game farming spots, bosses and areas to farm. Borderlands has... New Haven chests.

Very limited combination of parts of weapons, making end game about having a dozen or so weapons, everything else is worthless.

Just shield, grenade and class mod are not enough. It has to have many armor parts, from boots, gloves, pants, shoulder pads, helmets, rings, amulets, chest plates, etc.

• n00bitn00bit Member UncommonPosts: 345
    Originally posted by Interesting

Closed Servers. NOT!
    Random Loot Tabbles. NOT!
    Random area generation. NOT!
    Level cap reachable in 2 days = POINTLESS
    Diablo 2 (pre lod) took months to reach the last 10 levels from 90 and upwards.
    Diablo had end game farming spots, bosses and areas to farm. Borderlands has... New Haven chests.
    Very limited combination of parts of weapons, making end game about having a dozen or so weapons, everything else is worthless.
    Just shield, grenade and class mod are not enough. It has to have many armor parts, from boots, gloves, pants, shoulder pads, helmets, rings, amulets, chest plates, etc.

...and yet I love it. Characters stored on their servers, and random dungeon generation would be nice, but it doesn't kill the game.

• Label_ThisLabel_This Member Posts: 171

Good game but not much replay value.

I do like this game though and i've recently reached level 50 as a soldier/medic and i can't really see a reason to replay it again. I tried to do another playthrough as a berserker but he just gets owned.

One thing that annoys me is shooting other players to heal them. Thats just weird if you ask me. I'd prefer to throw health packs at them or something.

Borderlands: The Diablo of the FPS generation = Wrong

Why are there so many cutesie, fantasy, childish MMO's. Give me blood, gore and a long lasting challenge. I don't need my hand being held along the way. Thanks.

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

Hellgate: London was a FPS designed by the original Diablo team. Lots of loot in that game also.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• TheutusTheutus Member UncommonPosts: 636

I'm having to make myself like this game... it's dull

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

1. Hellgate was not a fps. There was only an option to go into fps view if desired.

2. In Diablo we hacked our way through enemies, in Borderlands you shoot your way through enemies.

3. Borderlands is a RPS (Roleplaying Shooter).

4. There was a ton of loot in DIablo, Borderlands is the same except no armors because you do not need it, (grenade mods, money,weapons, shields class mods and elemental artifacts can be found all over Pandora.

5. There is a ton of replayability in th game. Four classes to choose and multiple builds can be made for each character.

6. Borderlands also has DLC coming in less than a week. Zombie Island of Dr Ned.

I have a level 50 Siren and almost done the 2nd playtrhough. As soon as I am done the 2nd playthough I'll makIng many more characters. I must say it is a great game for a shooter with loot and skills. I also love the 4 player co-op and that my character is persistant. Gearbox Software is a very good developer.

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063

My friend told me about Borderlands before it released and directed me to a link of a video of it. So I watched this video and it was a cinematic showing a realistic art style and a game that looked awesome. Yet when I bought the game, I found out that the game is cell-shaded, which I absolutely can't stand. After doing some research, I find out that the company decided to switch art-direction, which is why I seen a video showing one thing, and got a game showing something else.

It's not normal for a company to release a cinematic like that, and then switch up the art style to something completely different. But I bought the game today and plan on giving it a real shot. I got as far as beating 9 Nails or Toes, whatever his name is. So far, gameplay is fun, but everything else sucks for me.

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063
    Originally posted by peenk

I like the idea of the game, but I wish they did a better job on characters, as in allowed the players to create custom characters.  Or at least let us pick what class we want.  I wanted a sniper but I hate the way Mordechai looks like.  

I completely agree.

• uohaloranuohaloran Member Posts: 811

The game is pretty damn shallow. It is really unfortunate at how the online play turned out, too. Gamespy? Who in the hell thought this was a good idea. The server browser is the biggest piece of hell I've seen recently.

Hex editors are already killing the online play. The lack of random areas in the game and repetitious visuals (though, good looking in my opinion) put this game on the shelf for me. No reason to continue playing.