Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows 7. 64 bit or 32 bit?

PwnedSidewayPwnedSideway Member Posts: 60

I realize choosing 64 bit or 32 bit all depends on your hardware (processor I think). I am currently running XP and plan to reformat to Windows 7 next weekend. I just need to know whether I should install 64 bit or 32 bit.

Here are my current specs:

-Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2140 @ 1.6 Ghz (yeah it blows I know)

-3GB RAM

-nVidia 7600GS (upgrading to Radeon 5750 in about two weeks)

Playing:
Waiting for: Earthrise, SW:TOR

Comments

• caalemcaalem Member UncommonPosts: 289

>4 GB of ram? Install x64.

<4 GB of ram? It doesn't matter.

Non x64 compatible CPU? Install x86.

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

ild take the windows 7 money and upgrade to a new mb/cpu combo myself but thats just me i guess

• LordBonezyLordBonezy Member Posts: 254

I agree spending money on Windows 7 when you have XP and it works is a waste. The only real value for Windows 7 over XP is with 64 bit so you can utilize more ram than a 32bit OS. Older systems simply won't see benefits with Windows 7 just like Vista.

If you have Vista makes no sense to go to Windows 7 as you are basically just installing the same thing. If you have 32 bit you should really only consider upgrading Vista or XP to Windows 7 if you have a newer system i.e. one with a dual core cpu and purchased or constructed in the last two years, and you passed on Vista. Otherwise you are wasting your money. Windows 7 is 98% Windows Vista, and people are simply paying money for a brand name they like better than Vista.

• NeoNemesis16NeoNemesis16 Member Posts: 5

I would upgrade your MOBO and CPU Aswell because if you plan on getting that video card you just going to bottle neck the pure power of that card and it would be over all useless.  sure your video card could be killer but it doesnt make sense if your processor isnt very good either.

• madeuxmadeux Member Posts: 1,786

I'd go 64 bit just so you have the option to upgrade your ram to 4gb or higher.

Plus, more and more software is being written for 64 bit, and everything will go there eventually.  You'll still be able to run all of your 32 bit software, so there's really no reason for you not to do it.

Originally posted by LordBonezy

I agree spending money on Windows 7 when you have XP and it works is a waste. The only real value for Windows 7 over XP is with 64 bit so you can utilize more ram than a 32bit OS. Older systems simply won't see benefits with Windows 7 just like Vista.
    If you have Vista makes no sense to go to Windows 7 as you are basically just installing the same thing. If you have 32 bit you should really only consider upgrading Vista or XP to Windows 7 if you have a newer system i.e. one with a dual core cpu and purchased or constructed in the last two years, and you passed on Vista. Otherwise you are wasting your money. Windows 7 is 98% Windows Vista, and people are simply paying money for a brand name they like better than Vista.

Windows 7 is NOT 98% Vista, don't believe it.  It looks like Vista, is familiar to those who used Vista, but the core of it is fundamentally different.

Windows 7 uses less resources than either XP or Vista. Don't get me wrong, I hate Microsoft with a passion, and I'd still be using OS/2 if I could, but Windows 7 really is a big improvement.  It's probably the first time they've actually released a new OS that was actually better than the previous version.

The Windows 7 upgrade is cheap, and it will pay off, even just for driver availability.

• caalemcaalem Member UncommonPosts: 289
    Originally posted by madeux

Originally posted by LordBonezy

Windows 7 is NOT 98% Vista, don't believe it.  It looks like Vista, is familiar to those who used Vista, but the core of it is fundamentally different.

It doesn't look like vista with 5 minutes of tooling around with the options :P

I really, really hate the vista look, and prefer the older 98/2k/XP look.

Originally posted by NeoNemesis16

I would upgrade your MOBO and CPU Aswell because if you plan on getting that video card you just going to bottle neck the pure power of that card and it would be over all useless.  sure your video card could be killer but it doesnt make sense if your processor isnt very good either.

can't remember if it was Tom's or Anands, but they've done some great tests on the new ATI cards (I have the 5770).  They are not as CPU dependent as the last generation of cards.  They ran benchmarks on an extremely overclocked system, then dropped the overclock to standard speeds and lost on average 1 frame per second.

Besides, the card will still work later on when he decides to upgrade.