Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Study system is terrible

TheDarzinTheDarzin Member Posts: 219

I am sorry but for as little as you actually gain out of the system, having to wait 5 days 16 hours for rank 4 of Fire and Flame is not casual friendly... it's not even hardcore friendly. It's just not friendly at all, period. That's rank 4 of a skill... and only one character can study at a time. Seriously, are you going to casually log in every couple weeks just to queue up?

So, no, there is zero chance of the casual player having an upper hand over the hardcore player in this game. EVER! The system is completely counter intuitive to it's intention as it will benefit the hardcore player more than the casual player.

Comments

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

I agree it is a pretty retarded system in a regular MMO like this, though i dont agree with what you say about it giving an advantage to anyone. Hardcore or casual, theres no difference, its still going to take 5 days to train the skill. If anything though the casuals do get a bit of a benefit, because they likely will only have 1 toon to worry about since they dont play much, vs the hardcore who will likely have an alt, or several, but only able to train 1 of them at a time, thereby gimping the rest of their toons vs the 1 toon casual who has all of its skills maxed asap.

I think they were hoping to somehow eliminate the feeling of "grind" with this system, since everyone bitches about being sick of the grind in games, but they couldnt have gone in a worse direction. people are BORED with the mindless grinding and logging in and sitting in the same places doing the same things over and over for hours/days/weeks on end just to get skills or levels up. All this sytem did was eliminate the needing to be there doing anything portion of it, and just made it basically an auto grind, where if you had logged in and done the grind in any other game it would have taken you "X" hours to train up that skill anyway. People who are sick of the grind want something that is more fun, mor einvolving & immersive, and requires some more actual skill to perfect your abilities rather than the same repetetive mind numbing crap over and over again. All the Study system seems to have done is eliminate the "repetetive" part, and just left the "crap" in, but hey at least you can just go do something else with your time while you wait for your training to finish. kinda funny, its as if they prefer you dont even play the game, just login to queue skills, maybe it helps em keep server loads/costs down since you only really need a few minutes at a time to "master" the skills.

• HolgranthHolgranth Member Posts: 380

I don't think it gives an advatage to hard core or casual. What it dose is gives an advatage to whomever has played the longest. The fact that you can only study one thing at a time on one character at a time is what annoys me the most about it.

In pretty much every game I have one character that is my main that I always come back to but plenty of alts that I play on and off for weeks at a time.

If you decide you are tired of your class and want to reroll your back to square 1 in alganon as far as studies go.

All in all I think the idea of offline advancment is fine if its like EVE where thats your primary method of advancement. But tacked on to the traditional fantasy leveling system as a secondary thing like it is in alganon its kinda boring and just feels lackluster and out of place to me

Dem hibbies! Dey be wrong!

• TheDarzinTheDarzin Member Posts: 219

My thought process on why this is going to benefit hardcore players over casuals is this. As a hardcore player you will be logging in once per day or more, playing for 2+ hours. You will be able to constantly pause your longer studies and work on shorter ones, then on logging out you can start the longer ones. Since you can stop studying on your main while on your alts, the same thing applies. The more you log in the better you prioritize your studies, pausing and starting when it's best. As a casual player you are at the whim of logging in maybe once every few days, playing for short periods. That forces you to start and stop studying far too much to gain any real advantage.

In other words.

Hardcore player queues up a 1 hour study, a 1 hour study, then a 8 hour study and a 1 day study. He finishes his 2 1 hour studies, decides to play another hour, adds another 1 hour study to his queue and logs out with the 8 hour and 1 day study in queue.

Casual player logs in and starts a 1 hour study, completes it, starts working on another 1 hour study, has to go in 10 minutes, queues up a 8 hour study and a 1 day study. Doesn't log in for 2 days and loses all that study time in between.

Prioritizing the system is going to give the biggest advantage and in that case the people who are on longer and more often gain the most benefit.

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

I think the term casual is exaggerated too much nowadys, casual doesnt mean the person logs in for 5 mins a week it's more in terms of he can only manage to play an hour or so a day so he can't raid or run instances. In my gaming career ive really yet to see a person that people define as a casual now. Not calling on you darzin but just saying in general the word casual isnt exactly appropriate. Oh and im not really sure what you mean by priortizing skills? From what i know i can put studies up for a unlimited time so it really doesnt matter if you put a one hour study in first or a one day one.

Originally posted by Gabby-air

I think the term casual is exaggerated too much nowadys, casual doesnt mean the person logs in for 5 mins a week it's more in terms of he can only manage to play an hour or so a day so he can't raid or run instances. In my gaming career ive really yet to see a person that people define as a casual now. Not calling on you darzin but just saying in general the word casual isnt exactly appropriate. Oh and im not really sure what you mean by priortizing skills? From what i know i can put studies up for a unlimited time so it really doesnt matter if you put a one hour study in first or a one day one.

Casual is still casual, as I said, a casual player might log in for an hour or so a day. But they aren't likely to log in for a long period of time.

Now prioritizing is just that. Okay, if you are logged in to the game, it is better to do the shorted studies to gain whatever benefit you may get rather than playing while studying for 8 hours. Since you are playing, as a hardcore player you are more likely to log in and shift your studies, so that the shorter ones get done faster allowing you to benefit from them more often and leave the long ones for when you are taking a break. Casual players (true casuals) tend to not be in the game as often and while they can queue up 8 skills, they aren't likely to care about the immediate benefits of learning the shorter ones first.

Well thing is the benefits arent even noticeable, ive trained quite a bit of skills and i seriously never noticed a change at all. So really the change is too little to actually make a difference if at all.

Originally posted by Gabby-air

Well thing is the benefits arent even noticeable, ive trained quite a bit of skills and i seriously never noticed a change at all. So really the change is too little to actually make a difference if at all.

Pretty much, but even if they give a small advantage it's something?

So I haven't played in a while and I am in the big city at level 35, and I hit up the Magic Studies trainer... you have to purchase certain studies. Which means players with more money will hold the upper hand... so either people who buy gold or people who play a lot...

Hmm really? Wasn't aware of the fact that you have to buy studies but are there alot of them and are they rather expensive or affordable for the lvl they are?

• KirinRahlKirinRahl Member UncommonPosts: 159

Hah!

They grabbed this idea from EVE Online, and it works nicely for EVE thanks to the way the game is set up on the whole.

Alongside a themepark MMO, though, it's going to drive the kids insane.

Also, if you hate this, take a peek at EVE someday.  Try getting five ranks in piloting Titan-class vessels.

I'll see you in a couple months.

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

There doesn't seem to be any coherent vision behind the study system. It would make more sense if there was a consistent approach like: gaining levels makes you more powerful; studies make you more flexible. e.g. studies unlock more options for your talent points, but the number of talent points you have to spend depends on your level.

• HolgranthHolgranth Member Posts: 380
    Originally posted by Banquetto

There doesn't seem to be any coherent vision behind the study system. It would make more sense if there was a consistent approach like: gaining levels makes you more powerful; studies make you more flexible. e.g. studies unlock more options for your talent points, but the number of talent points you have to spend depends on your level.

It would be a lot better if it was designed as a classless way to allow acess to skills and abilitys not standerd to your class or somthing along the lines of that. Example if a meele class studys healing they will gain acess to an out of combat fast heal that reduces down time or the ablity to passively heal nearby players slightly. That sort of system would work much better alongside the class/level based system Alganon insists on using.

Dem hibbies! Dey be wrong!

• tro44_1tro44_1 Member Posts: 1,819

Seems like a great way to lvl alts while playing Main. Can it work that way?

Originally posted by tro44_1

Seems like a great way to lvl alts while playing Main. Can it work that way?

First of all, the study system gives a very small boost, then it doesn't train your main stats but other things like 1% fire resistance and no you cannot train more than one character.