Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The story so far....

KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

As far as I can tell

Everyone is playing as a starship not really as a captain or any crew member except on away mission

the bridge is in there but appears to be the size of a casm is picked from a catalogue and redecorated to suit and essentially glorified player housing, not very star trek in any sense

the timeline is mix and match with ships from tos and tng and beyond fighting together. Since there is roughly 100yrs between tos and the game setting this seems a bit daft and again not very star trek.

Ground combat consists of standing 3 inches from your opponent and blasting away with a phaser or hitting them over the head with a batleth until one falls over, yet again not very trek

ship classes are along the fantasy/ sword and sorcery lines of tank/dps/buff etc and still not very trek

what little i've seen of klingon ships they seem to have romulan ship names(warbird, raptor)

space is all multi coloured lighting effects and not black with twinkly bits, but this could just be the screens they've released

the game seems to be overly combat orientated but then i'm not sure how you'll show things like exploration in a trailer, the genesis engine sounds interesting although not sure what it will deliver

sto sounds very heavily instanced almost to the point of being a lobbied multiplayer game rather than an mmo

how accurate does this sound?

can somebody give any information different or new to contradict? please? or even point out the parts where they have paid attention to the ip rather than just picking bits at random from any star trek show and shoving them in

Is this mmorpg just a case of to boldly go where everyone has gone before?

Comments

• RaltarRaltar Member UncommonPosts: 829

Yeah, most of that seems to be the case so far.

This game is very much a case of going to the same place CRYPTIC has been alteast twice before...

• TycaliburTycalibur Member Posts: 97

Essentially, there is no 'story'.  That would involve Cryptic doing more than just giving us a ship shooter where the game is about nothing but ships and combat and everyone can magically navigate massive 750m long ships like they're little X-Wing fighters.

No, to involve content would have been 'too much trouble' on their part.  It's lazy game making, and will make them a quick buck in the short term, leaving even the fans who feel good about the game at this point in time burned and underwhelmed.

As I said in a previous thread, this will be like the Matrix Online.  Huge fanfare and disappointing nonsense.

It's lazy game making.   Cryptic has made it abundantly clear this game is about 'war', so they don't have to worry about any story driven elements in the short term.

Even if they have plans to put more Star Trek fan wish list content in the game later (things other than combat and war), then that means the game isn't finished at this point in the game.  And I will not play an unfinished game.