Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Life after Dragonage!!

124»

Comments

• ThenariusThenarius Member Posts: 1,106
    Originally posted by deniter

Or, maybe he likes 'games', not somewhat playable saturday morning cartoons. DAO is the same crap as Mass Effect was - not actually a game but not a movie either. If this is where games are going to nowdays there's really something wrong in the world.

Great, there's Dark Messiah, Oblivion, Gothic 2, Risen...but that doesn't mean some people just don't enjoy these type of RPGs.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

Well for me DA just doesnt grab me , and i loved BG1 and 2 , Icewind Dale, ToEE, Oblivion, Gothic series, Daggerfall , have really enjoyed all these games but DA just doesnt grab me like these others did , FAr to many long and useless cutscenes , geesh when you make the 1st journey to Redcliffe you must endure over an hour of of this .. Much of it just useless fluff IMO...

To much potion quaffing(easy mode)

Endless magery, no spell memoraztion(easy mode)

And if you take the time to set up tactics for your group , the game becomes nearly useless as it will play itself.(ala Dungeon Siege)  :(

I was really hoping for more of a challenge from DA but it falls short it so many ways ,

It really feels like a Movie with Gameplay elements not a "Game"

And the bloodsplatter is totally over the top ridiculous...lmfao

• metalhead980metalhead980 Member Posts: 2,658
    Originally posted by Scorchien

Are you new to Bioware games? Kotor, Jade Empire and Mass Effect were the same exact way.

That's what you get when you play a Bioware game. You get a cinematic linear rpg.

Basically playing through a Epic movie.

I don't understand why people complain, unless you stopped playing Bioware rpgs with Nwn you would already know what to expect.

"It feels like a movie" Duhhh........

PLaying: EvE, Ryzom

Waiting For: Earthrise, Perpetuum

• IlvaldyrIlvaldyr Member CommonPosts: 2,142

He's right about one thing though, mages are OP.

But they also look damn silly in those hats.

Playing: EVE, Final Fantasy 13, Uncharted 2, Need for Speed: Shift
  • nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063
    Originally posted by northranger1

Its been a great journey, but sadly I've now finished the game and the adventures come to an end (aside from future DLC). 
    I'm wondering if there are any other PC RPGs in development, that I should be getting excited about?  The only one I can think of is the Witcher 2.
    Also wondering if there have been any other good RPG released fairly recent, that I may have missed, as haven't really been keeping tabs.  I've completed Risen  just to rule that one out.
    Any suggestions?

Borderlands.

• tapeworm00tapeworm00 Member Posts: 549
    Originally posted by metalhead980

Are you new to Bioware games? Kotor, Jade Empire and Mass Effect were the same exact way.

That's what you get when you play a Bioware game. You get a cinematic linear rpg.

I don't understand why people complain, unless you stopped playing Bioware rpgs with Nwn you would already know what to expect.

What he's saying is that he feels his interaction with the thing is minimal. Up until Jade Empire and KOTOR 2 the linearity and cinematic tinge wasn't bad; I think they had a nice little balance between player input and scripts. Shit like Mass Effect tilted the balance towards the cinematic, leaving us with an interesting story that is barely playable. I think it works better on other games, like CoD has demonstrated, but in RPGs it can become a tad boring.

Originally posted by tapeworm00

What he's saying is that he feels his interaction with the thing is minimal. Up until Jade Empire and KOTOR 2 the linearity and cinematic tinge wasn't bad; I think they had a nice little balance between player input and scripts. Shit like Mass Effect tilted the balance towards the cinematic, leaving us with an interesting story that is barely playable. I think it works better on other games, like CoD has demonstrated, but in RPGs it can become a tad boring.

"Barely Playable" is not remotely how I would describe Mass Effect.

Hell, I played it through multiple times. I think most people did.

• Cyborg99Cyborg99 Member Posts: 576
    Originally posted by metalhead980

He wasn't complaining your the only one complaining. DA played like a movie, whether thats a good or bad way to make a game is an opinion. Stop getting so butthurt over the truth. Also we all know Bethesa could teach something to BW about sandbox play.

Trolls = Hardcore
    Fanbois = Carebears

The only posts I read in threads are my own.

Originally posted by Ilvaldyr

Yup you played it through several times....with the same ending. Did you forget to right down what happened or do you think your playing a sandbox game?

Trolls = Hardcore
    Fanbois = Carebears

Originally posted by Cyborg99

Yup you played it through several times....with the same ending. Did you forget to right down what happened or do you think your playing a sandbox game?

If I like something, I can experience it more than once without whining about how linear it is.

Same goes for movies and books. I enjoy the journey.

If I like something, I can experience it more than once without whining about how linear it is.

Same goes for movies and books. I enjoy the journey.

Cool, have fun

Trolls = Hardcore
    Fanbois = Carebears

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

I've seen movies that were less linear then dragonage.  BW needs to take lessons from Bethesda(Oblivion).

Thats an idiotic comment. Movies are lineair by default, just like novels. So even if you feel the need to exaggerate like you do, its still a bad example.

I agree with Dragon Age being more lineair then for example Oblivion. But I dont see that as a bad point really. I like both. Lineair games with great atmosphere and story, but also sandboxes like Morrowind ( preferred that over Oblivion).

The difference is just that Morrowind lets you set the pace of the main story yourself, while Dragon Age sets the pace for you. You still get to develop a character the way you like and influence your party members in DA. I really liked the way the story unfolds in DA.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by Interesting

What about the story WAITING FOR ME? I want the story to progress regardless of my actions! When the Dragon come and if you dont help, the village will burn and people will die! Thats what I want. I dont care about important NPCs, make it so THINGS PROCEED REGARDLESS and let me experience the world as I interacted with it.
    STOP FORCING ME INTO YOUR STUPID CONTENT. Make the content and I will play it if I want, if I dont, someone else will, but dont fucking force people to experience everything you wasted your resources to make.
    When my character attack, I WANT TO FUCKING CONTROL THE SWING, not press hotkeys, not wait for things to happen. I want to control it, time it, my reflexes, my timing, my distance.
    NO stupid collision detection. No stupid auto hit spells and projectiles. I want to fucking move my character during the fight and get out of the way if I can control it.

I cant understand this people kissing Dragon Ages ass. Unfortunate people who never tasted what Im talking about.

Well, as a point of note, there is an instance in Dragon Age where if you enter the town of redcliffe and essentially take the quest but leave you would get your wish with regards to your dragon analogy.

As far as making people play the content, there are quest lines in Dragon Age I will most likely never experience as they are thief quest lines. So there is a bit of that. I suppose one would say "no one forced you to play their content, the customer purchased the game on his/her own volition". But I get what you mean, you want to have an open world which moves along and you want to dip in and out of what is going on. I think there is some merit to this but there is only so much a game company can do. If you have no interest in taking part in their work then technically you will be out there gathering mushrooms and the game will pass by you. I don't really see the point for spending money on the game to experience this. I do see the point about killing the dragon and not killing the dragon.

Now that I think about it, DA actually does have a consequence if you kill the dragon on the way to the Urn or if you don't. It appears in the Epilogue but with that choice there is a consequence.

But game companies make games and make content to be played. They aren't going to pour tons of resources into something that someone might play. I don't think that game companies are going to go all out and only have open sand box game world from this point forward. Some might, Bethesda tries to do this but this is not necessarily the wave of the future.

There is  a lot to be said for gameplay where you get into the seat and take off. Roller Coasters are still popular for a reason even if the ride is somewhat predictable. Games like Doom or Quake were fun because they were good games, not because they were open sand box worlds.

Dragon Age hearkens back to their Baldur's Gate games, it's not really about you using your skill to move your sword but is about a story and your choices in that story. So yes I can easily see where such focused and different game play would not be everybody's cup of tea.

So if you were to get a game like myst, the complaint that you can't move your character would be moot because that is not what the game is about. Same with these bioware rpg's. Dark Messiah had a bit more of that. Not a bad game, not amazing but it was enjoyable.

As far as players experiencing what you are talking about, I haven't really run into many if any games that have that. The most open games I've run into were morrowind, oblivion and Fallout 3. I don't remember any of them having a game world that offers such consequences if you kill the dragon or don't kill the dragon. What game are you refering to?

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Originally posted by someforumguy

I've seen movies that were less linear then dragonage.  BW needs to take lessons from Bethesda(Oblivion).

Thats an idiotic comment. Movies are lineair by default, just like novels. So even if you feel the need to exaggerate like you do, its still a bad example.

I agree with Dragon Age being more lineair then for example Oblivion. But I dont see that as a bad point really. I like both. Lineair games with great atmosphere and story, but also sandboxes like Morrowind ( preferred that over Oblivion).

The difference is just that Morrowind lets you set the pace of the main story yourself, while Dragon Age sets the pace for you. You still get to develop a character the way you like and influence your party members in DA. I really liked the way the story unfolds in DA.

Where did I say that linear games are bad? I actually have several post saying I play linear rpg and enjoy them but they are close to a movie-like entertainment. Might want to read the thread before making yourself look unintelligent.

Trolls = Hardcore
    Fanbois = Carebears

This discussion has been closed.