Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Spending On Gaming Not Reduced

FalfeirFalfeir Member UncommonPosts: 492

Interesting, recession is no longer a valid excuse for loosing players it seems

Port Washington, NY, November 16, 2009 - According to the latest update to the “Entertainment Trends in America” consumer tracking studies conducted by The NPD Group, a leading market research company, even as newspapers and other traditional forms of subscriptions have declined, most forms of entertainment-content subscriptions have been maintained by U.S. consumers this year, and mobile data plans and other newer kinds of subscription services have expanded their customer bases. Overall monthly per-capita entertainment-content subscription spending rose to $115, which is an increase of nearly 7 percent since last year.

source:

www.npd.com/press/releases/press_091116a.html

I need more vespene gas.

Comments

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411

but the amount people are spending on resturants, bars, outside the home entertainment has dropped.  I think people just realize it is cheaper to stay home and play with your electronics with subs.

• FalfeirFalfeir Member UncommonPosts: 492

true, online gaming is low maintenance. there is an interesting result for us mmo players though, if someone says,

"our subs dropped because people cant pay for gaming anymore, see there is recession and and people cant play, game is awesome otherwise"

answer is,

"nope people are paying & playing, just not your game"

I need more vespene gas.

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    Originally posted by Falfeir

true, online gaming is low maintenance. there is an interesting result for us mmo players though, if someone says,
    "our subs dropped because people cant pay for gaming anymore, see there is recession and and people cant play, game is awesome otherwise"
    answer is,
    "nope people are paying & playing, just not your game"

Has any gaming company ever made that claim though?  Even vanguard with its low base has never said such a thing.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Always good to hear.  Near the start of the downturn I read an article claiming videogames were more resilient than most in economic trouble.  Good to see my skepticism of that original article might not have been necessary. (:

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063

I believe it was EA Mythic concerning layoffs and WAR that made that claim.

• IlvaldyrIlvaldyr Member CommonPosts: 2,142

Hooray for gaming.

Where else can you get quality entertainment for ~50p/hour?

Playing: EVE, Final Fantasy 13, Uncharted 2, Need for Speed: Shift